• US Senate Confirms Geoffrey Starks and Brendan Carr to Full FCC Terms

From ARRL de WD1CKS@VERT/WLARB to QST on Sat Jan 5 00:30:32 2019
    01/04/2019

The US Senate has confirmed Geoffrey Starks and Brendan Carr to full 5-year terms as FCC commissioners. Starks, who most recently had served as assistant chief of the FCC Enforcement Bureau, fills the seat vacated last spring by Mignon Clyburn. Both are Democrats. Republican nominees have a 3 - 2 advantage on the Commission. Commissioner Jessica Rosenworcel is the other Democrat on the FCC.

"I congratulate Geoffrey on his Senate confirmation," FCC Chairman Ajit Pai said in a statement. "During his confirmation hearing, I was excited to hear him highlight the need to expand rural broadband and the power of telemedicine. I look forward to working with him and having a fellow Kansan on the Commission."

Carr, a Republican originally nominated by President Donald Trump to fill the seat left vacant by the departure of former FCC Chairman Tom Wheeler, was confirmed last August. He now has been confirmed for a full 5-year term. Carr previously served as FCC general counsel.

"I also congratulate Brendan on his confirmation to a full term," Pai said in a statement. "Brendan has done tremendous work on a number of issues, including his leadership on wireless infrastructure modernization. He has also been a staunch advocate for rural broadband deployment, particularly for precision agriculture and advancements in telemedicine."

In addition to Pai and Carr, the other Republican on the FCC is Michael O'Rielly.

---
    þ Synchronet þ Whiskey Lover's Amateur Radio BBS