• New Local League Concept,

From Weed Hopper@VERT/LOCALYOC to DOVE-Net.Advertisements on Tue Jul 10 12:34:00 2012
    Hey All,

Are you frustrated by League games that cause 3 day delays when players go AWOL? Want to play league games exactly the same as local games without the wait time restrictions? Want to play local games that were never intended to be IBBS in a league fashion? Then stop by the Local Yocal BBS and check out the Local IBBS Games option in the doors section.

I've tested this with a couple of fellow sysops and it works great!
    Currently only Global War is configured, but more games will be added daily!

Fellow sysops, if you're interested in joining this and adding a different option for your users, drop me an email at mark.meserve@localyocalbbs.com. Setup will work with both Linux and Windows based systems and is quick and easy to do! We can even add YOUR popular local games!

I hope to see you all at the Local Yocal BBS soon!

Connect via telnet or http at localyocalbbs.com.

Weed Hopper
    Sysop
    Local Yocal BBS
    localyocalbbs.com

---
    þ Synchronet þ Your hometown on the Internet - localyocalbbs.com
  • From Mro@VERT/BBSESINF to Weed Hopper on Tue Jul 10 19:23:30 2012
    Re: New Local League Concept,
    By: Weed Hopper to DOVE-Net.Advertisements on Tue Jul 10 2012 07:34 am

Are you frustrated by League games that cause 3 day delays when players go AWOL? Want to play league games exactly the same as local games without the wait time restrictions? Want to play local games that were never intended
    to be IBBS in a league fashion? Then stop by the Local Yocal BBS and check out the Local IBBS Games option in the doors section.

what, are you trying to do it with a vpn or something?

---
    þ Synchronet þ ::: BBSES.info - free BBS services :::
  • From Weed Hopper@VERT/LOCALYOC to Weed Hopper on Tue Jul 10 17:39:00 2012
    "Weed Hopper" <weed.hopper@localyocalbbs.com> wrote in message news:4FFC1367.1412.dove-ads@localyocalbbs.com...
    Hey All,

Are you frustrated by League games that cause 3 day delays when players go AWOL? Want to play league games exactly the same as local games without
    the wait time restrictions? Want to play local games that were never intended to be IBBS in a league fashion? Then stop by the Local Yocal BBS and check out the Local IBBS Games option in the doors section.

I've tested this with a couple of fellow sysops and it works great! Currently only Global War is configured, but more games will be added
    daily!

Fellow sysops, if you're interested in joining this and adding a different option for your users, drop me an email at mark.meserve@localyocalbbs.com. Setup will work with both Linux and Windows based systems and is quick and easy to do! We can even add YOUR popular local games!

I hope to see you all at the Local Yocal BBS soon!

Connect via telnet or http at localyocalbbs.com.

Weed Hopper
    Sysop
    Local Yocal BBS
    localyocalbbs.com

King's Crown, LORD 4.07, LORD MZK, New York 2008, Pimp Wars, Planets TEOS,
    and Yankees and Rednecks have all been added, stop by and join the fun!

Follow up note to fellow sysops, this method does not use RLogon, and we can YOUR local game with YOUR local users to this so check it out if you're interested in joining!

Telnet to localyocalbbs.com, or http://localyocalbbs.com and you can use Ftelnet to login.

Hope to see you there!

Weed Hopper
    Sysop
    Local Yocal BBS
    localyocalbbs.com

---
  • From Weed Hopper@VERT/LOCALYOC to Mro on Wed Jul 11 00:18:00 2012
    "Mro" <mro@VERT/BBSESINF> wrote in message news:4FFC7322.1187.dove-ads@bbses.info...
    Re: New Local League Concept,
    By: Weed Hopper to DOVE-Net.Advertisements on Tue Jul 10 2012 07:34 am

Are you frustrated by League games that cause 3 day delays when players
    go
    AWOL? Want to play league games exactly the same as local games without the
    wait time restrictions? Want to play local games that were never
    intended
    to be IBBS in a league fashion? Then stop by the Local Yocal BBS and
    check
    out the Local IBBS Games option in the doors section.

what, are you trying to do it with a vpn or something?

---

That's how it's being done, and it's working well. I've done proof of
    concept and it's pretty cool. I have a 1GB Internet connection, so no danger of saturation, and the BBS is on server hardware, so can handle the load
    with ease.
    Are you interested?
    The more the merrier, and I think we could all benefit...

Weed Hopper

Local Yocal BBS
    localyocalbbs.com

---
  • From Mro@VERT/BBSESINF to Weed Hopper on Wed Jul 11 03:58:51 2012
    Re: Re: New Local League Conc
    By: Weed Hopper to Mro on Tue Jul 10 2012 07:18 pm

Are you interested?
    The more the merrier, and I think we could all benefit...

no i am not interested.

---
  • From echicken@VERT/ECBBS to Weed Hopper on Wed Jul 11 15:32:20 2012
    By: Weed Hopper to Mro on Tue Jul 10 2012 19:18:00

That's how it's being done, and it's working well. I've done proof of concept and it's pretty cool. I have a 1GB Internet connection, so no danger of saturation, and the BBS is on server hardware, so can handle the load with ease.

Out of curiosity, what role does the VPN play in this? Are you still using inter-BBS add-ons for classic door games and just chucking the data to a share, or are the participant BBS' sharing a data directory for the game and representing different nodes of a fake mega-BBS? Myself and others have been working on a similar concept for a while (somewhat larger in scope) and I'm wondering how you've approached it.

echicken
    electronic chicken bbs - bbs.electronicchicken.com - 416-273-7230

---
    þ Synchronet þ electronic chicken bbs - bbs.electronicchicken.com
  • From Weed Hopper@VERT/LOCALYOC to echicken on Thu Jul 12 03:10:00 2012
    "echicken" <echicken@VERT/ECBBS> wrote in message news:4FFD8E74.2287.dove-ads@bbs.electronicchicken.com...
    By: Weed Hopper to Mro on Tue Jul 10 2012 19:18:00

That's how it's being done, and it's working well. I've done proof of concept and it's pretty cool. I have a 1GB Internet connection, so no danger
    of saturation, and the BBS is on server hardware, so can handle the load with ease.

Out of curiosity, what role does the VPN play in this? Are you still
    using
    inter-BBS add-ons for classic door games and just chucking the data to a share,
    or are the participant BBS' sharing a data directory for the game and representing different nodes of a fake mega-BBS? Myself and others have been
    working on a similar concept for a while (somewhat larger in scope) and
    I'm
    wondering how you've approached it.

echicken

---

You've got it. Other BBS' can connect via the VPN and map to a shared drive where all the games are located, then configure their systems to use this location. Treats the games as local for everyone and allows local only games to be shared among the systems. I'm a Global War junkie as well, and the
    three day delay when players go AWOL gets old real fast, and this is a way around that as well. Plus I like the idea of being able to make local only games available to multiple systems.
    It's not perfect, and there are some gotcha's, such as dealing with drop
    files and whatnot, but it's worked well in testing.
    Really, I'm just trying to make this more interactive for folks that are
    still doing the BBS scene and hoping it will make it more fun for everyone.
    If I can get multiple folks interested, I figure there will be a larger pool of players in the games and it will make it more interesting. I don't get a lot of traffic and I've been to a lot of other BBS' that are the same, so figured why not give it a shot.
    Maybe folks will take me up on my offer, and maybe not, but either way, I'll leave it in place and see what happens.
    As far as my own BBS goes, I did this back in the 90's and had to stop in 2000, and missed it a lot so set it back up last year. Even if I end up with no users, I'd keep the BBS up just so I could play some old games. :)

Weed Hopper
    Local Yocal BBS
    localyocalbbs.com

---
  • From Mro@VERT/BBSESINF to Weed Hopper on Thu Jul 12 04:31:03 2012
    By: Weed Hopper to echicken on Wed Jul 11 2012 10:10 pm

You've got it. Other BBS' can connect via the VPN and map to a shared drive where all the games are located, then configure their systems to use this location. Treats the games as local for everyone and allows local only
    games to be shared among the systems. I'm a Global War junkie as well, and the three day delay when players go AWOL gets old real fast, and this is a way around that as well. Plus I like the idea of being able to make local only games available to multiple systems.
    It's not perfect, and there are some gotcha's, such as dealing with drop files and whatnot, but it's worked well in testing.
    Really, I'm just trying to make this more interactive for folks that are still doing the BBS scene and hoping it will make it more fun for everyone.

yeah a lot of us were considering doing this for years but you are the first guy that went ahead with it, i think.
    you can effectively make any doorgame ibbs which is great.
    i'm sure there's a lot of problems that crop up though!

---
  • From echicken@VERT/ECBBS to Weed Hopper on Thu Jul 12 16:06:14 2012
    By: Weed Hopper to echicken on Wed Jul 11 2012 22:10:00

You've got it. Other BBS' can connect via the VPN and map to a shared drive where all the games are located, then configure their systems to use this location. Treats the games as local for everyone and allows local only games to be shared among the systems. I'm a Global War junkie as well, and the ...
    It's not perfect, and there are some gotcha's, such as dealing with drop files and whatnot, but it's worked well in testing.

Yeah, I had the same setup going about a year and a half ago. While it worked, it was extremely slow even with the share on a VPS with allegedly good bandwidth. I assumed that the VPN and filesharing overheads were just too great and abandoned that particular approach. Very cool that you have it working that way.

The drop file issue can be approached from a few different angles, and I'm sure you've tried different methods by now. Statically assigning fake node numbers to your participant BBSs and having them drop files to assigned locations is the easiest but most administratively tedious. I had some code at one time to calculate the next available "node number" which made that process more automated/dynamic and didn't require as much configuration on either end.

Then there's the matter of those games that don't allow for concurrent use, and having to figure out if somebody on another system is playing it before launching. Semaphore files (with appropriate clean-up actions for dropped connections and such) can take care of this; if file exists then game is in use, and such.

Anyway, it's a fun project. Friends and I are testing another system that does even more integration between boards, gaming being a big part of it. It's great to find ways to keep things active and interesting. Keep up the good work!

echicken

---
  • From Weed Hopper@VERT/LOCALYOC to echicken on Fri Jul 13 17:04:00 2012
    Anyway, it's a fun project. Friends and I are testing another system that does
    even more integration between boards, gaming being a big part of it. It's great to find ways to keep things active and interesting. Keep up the
    good
    work!

echicken

---

Thanks, if you'd like send me an email to mark.meserve@localyocalbbs.com. I may be interested in joining your project as well!

Weed Hopper

Local Yocal BBS
    localyocalbbs.com

---