• Pruts of #GGTM

From Doctor N@VERT/PRUTS to All on Sun Dec 16 14:34:06 2012
    Hi,
    I used to have a BBS system in the good old golden BBS days, but have since had to restart and rebuild everything from scratch for a few times due to hard drive-crashes. After a while I simply stopped rebuilding, since the whole BBS days were over by then...
    Now, after again a few years, I've decided to rebuild again, this time with a Synchronet base. It runs on Windows NT6.2 (8), has a few working doors already, and will be worked on regularly again, so if any interested would take a look, We are open for business again! ;)
    It is called "Pruts of #GGTM" named after the nickname of the server (Pruts) and the supporting IRC-channel, which, unlike the BBS, has been up for about 12 years non-stop, and our connecting address is:
    telnet://pruts.ggtm.eu:2023

Greetings, ;)
    ~ Doctor

~ Doctor N.

---
    þ Synchronet þ Pruts of #GGTM - pruts.ggtm.eu:2023
  • From Mro@VERT/BBSESINF to Doctor N on Sun Dec 16 18:24:05 2012
    Re: Pruts of #GGTM
    By: Doctor N to All on Sun Dec 16 2012 08:34 am

already, and will be worked on regularly again, so if any interested would take a look, We are open for business again! ;)
    It is called "Pruts of #GGTM" named after the nickname of the server
    (Pruts) and the supporting IRC-channel, which, unlike the BBS, has been up for about 12 years non-stop, and our connecting address is:

make sure you backup this time. :D it seems to be the way of the sysop to never make backups and lose everything.

i'm glad you actually worked on your bbs a bit.

---
    þ Synchronet þ ::: BBSES.info - free BBS services :::
  • From Doctor N@VERT/PRUTS to Mro on Mon Dec 17 09:50:18 2012
    By: Mro to Doctor N on Sun Dec 16 2012 12:24:05

make sure you backup this time. :D it seems to be the way of the sysop to ne make backups and lose everything.

i'm glad you actually worked on your bbs a bit.

Yeah, have backed up every morning since startup and will keep doing so.

I'll also keep working on the BBS, still think it's fun, so... :p
    Even though Baja is not widely used, it's still fun to learn.
    Grtz,
    ~ Doctor N.

---
  • From Mro@VERT/BBSESINF to Doctor N on Mon Dec 17 05:55:01 2012
    By: Doctor N to Mro on Mon Dec 17 2012 03:50 am

Yeah, have backed up every morning since startup and will keep doing so.

I'll also keep working on the BBS, still think it's fun, so... :p
    Even though Baja is not widely used, it's still fun to learn.
    Grtz,

i wouldnt say it's not widely used. most of us have baja command shells.
    i still prefer baja for most bbs related things. i can do the same stuff in baja with less code than .js.

---
  • From Doctor N@VERT/PRUTS to Mro on Mon Dec 17 13:51:54 2012
    By: Mro to Doctor N on Sun Dec 16 2012 23:55:01

i wouldnt say it's not widely used. most of us have baja command shells.
    i still prefer baja for most bbs related things. i can do the same stuff in baja with less code than .js.

True. I always hated js for it's limitations. Baja is alot more functional, imho. But I just meant that besides BBS'es, there's not much you can do with Baja, is there? Plz correct me if there is, but I haven't found anything. :p Grtz. ;)
    ~ Doctor N.

---
  • From echicken@VERT/ECBBS to Doctor N on Mon Dec 17 17:42:54 2012
    By: Doctor N to Mro on Mon Dec 17 2012 07:51:54

True. I always hated js for it's limitations. Baja is alot more functional, imho. But I just meant that besides BBS'es, there's not much you can do with

Curious to know what those limitations are, and what functionality Baja adds for you. I've always felt quite the opposite.

Obviously if someone feels that Baja is right for them, or easier to learn, then by all means they ought to use it. I do however think that's a choice better made with information rather than this sort of disinformation. :D :D :D

echicken
    electronic chicken bbs - bbs.electronicchicken.com - 416-273-7230

---
    þ Synchronet þ electronic chicken bbs - bbs.electronicchicken.com
  • From Doctor N@VERT/PRUTS to echicken on Tue Dec 18 01:05:26 2012
    By: echicken to Doctor N on Mon Dec 17 2012 11:42:54

Curious to know what those limitations are, and what functionality Baja adds for you. I've always felt quite the opposite.

Yeah, well, I maybe a bit judgemental here, since my biggest concern about js was that it couldn't run local binaries, so there's no possibility to write a simple 3line script which makes something start locally,... Or at least not to my findings and knowledge. If you know a rather easy way, plz tell me. :p Anyway, baja doesn't actually run local files either, so there maybe I judged too fast, since it did make it possible to run anything as long as you make an External Programs menu for it in SCFG. This opened quite a few more doors for me then js did,... But then again, only SBBS related offcourse...
    Grtz,
    ~ Doctor N.

---
  • From art@VERT/FATCATS to Doctor N on Tue Dec 18 01:43:27 2012
    By: Doctor N to echicken on Mon Dec 17 2012 19:05:26

Hi Doctor N,

js was that it couldn't run local binaries, so there's no possibility to write a simple 3line script which makes something start locally,... Or at

I could make a three line script, but here's a two line one instead:

load("sbbsdefs.js");
    bbs.exec("format c:", EX_OUTR);

You will find the meaning of EX_OUTR, in sbbsdefs.js.

Kind regards,

art@fatcatsbbsdotcom

"You see lad, every moment of pleasure in life has to be purchased
    by an equal moment of pain."
    -- Danilo O'Dell to Worf in ST:TNG "Up The Long Ladder"

---
    þ Synchronet þ fatcats bbs - fatcatsbbs.com
  • From echicken@VERT/ECBBS to Doctor N on Mon Dec 17 21:09:47 2012
    By: Doctor N to echicken on Mon Dec 17 2012 19:05:26

Yeah, well, I maybe a bit judgemental here, since my biggest concern about j was that it couldn't run local binaries, so there's no possibility to write simple 3line script which makes something start locally,... Or at least not my findings and knowledge. If you know a rather easy way, plz tell me. :p

Per:

http://synchro.net/docs/jsobjs.html

There are several options depending on your platform and what you're hoping to accomplish:

system.exec()
    system.popen() (unix)
    bbs.exec()
    bbs.exec_xtrn()

Depending on how fancy you want to get, a three-line script may be excessive.

Anyway, baja doesn't actually run local files either, so there maybe I judge too fast, since it did make it possible to run anything as long as you make External Programs menu for it in SCFG. This opened quite a few more doors fo me then js did,... But then again, only SBBS related offcourse...

A JS module can launch anything set up in the External Programs section of SCFG as well - see the link I posted above. I'm guessing that you just read some generic JS reference material (which is mostly applicable to scripting for Synchronet) without discovering the additional objects available in
    Synchronet.

Again, if Baja's more your cup of tea, have at it - I just hope that myths like these don't needlessly scare others away from JS.

echicken

---
  • From Doctor N@VERT/PRUTS to art on Tue Dec 18 04:47:07 2012
    By: art to Doctor N on Mon Dec 17 2012 19:43:27

I could make a three line script, but here's a two line one instead:

load("sbbsdefs.js");
    bbs.exec("format c:", EX_OUTR);

You will find the meaning of EX_OUTR, in sbbsdefs.js.

Kind regards,

Well, I stand corrected and at least am learning from this. I asked around alot though, at IT friends and colleagues, and every single one of them said it wasn't possible. Also if you look on google for local execution of files with js, you also get alot of ppl saying it can't be done due to it not being a script for local use... This is actually the first time I heard anyone say it was possible, then even in a script which was already present in my pc. :p I will look into this. :)
    Thanks for the info and greetz,
    ~ Doctor N.

---
  • From Mro@VERT/BBSESINF to Doctor N on Tue Dec 18 00:26:03 2012
    By: Doctor N to Mro on Mon Dec 17 2012 07:51 am

True. I always hated js for it's limitations. Baja is alot more functional, imho. But I just meant that besides BBS'es, there's not much you can do
    with Baja, is there? Plz correct me if there is, but I haven't found anything. :p Grtz. ;)

well yeah, baja was made as an IPL for synchronet so you cant do much with it other than bbs related stuff i suppose. i made text editors and once i made a really huge game in baja.

---
  • From echicken@VERT/ECBBS to Doctor N on Tue Dec 18 02:15:25 2012
    By: Doctor N to art on Mon Dec 17 2012 22:47:07

Well, I stand corrected and at least am learning from this. I asked around a though, at IT friends and colleagues, and every single one of them said it wasn't possible. Also if you look on google for local execution of files wit js, you also get alot of ppl saying it can't be done due to it not being a script for local use... This is actually the first time I heard anyone say i was possible, then even in a script which was already present in my pc. :p I will look into this. :)

Most people hear "javascript" and assume that scripts are being run client side, and in the context of a web browser. Synchronet's JS interpreter is server-side, and scripts running on it have some special Sync-specific objects available to them (along with most of the standard-issue, non-web/DOM-specific JS functionality.) This is not entirely unique (see node.js, and I think a few other platforms) but it is a bit unusual.

echicken

---
  • From art@VERT/FATCATS to echicken on Tue Dec 18 14:52:48 2012
    By: echicken to Doctor N on Mon Dec 17 2012 20:15:25

Ahoy friends,

side, and in the context of a web browser. Synchronet's JS interpreter is server-side, and scripts running on it have some special Sync-specific objects available to them (along with most of the standard-issue, non-web/DOM-specific JS functionality.) This is not entirely unique (see node.js, and I think a few other platforms) but it is a bit unusual.

Unusual, but awesome. It allows BBS developers to do all sorts of stuff that previously was not available in a BBS API, and extend boards in a way that BAJA simply cannot do.

Having a standard server-side language, rather than a bespoke one (i.e., ECMAScript JS rather than BAJA) means you can use the standard object model and APIs that you are used to (if you've ever used JavaScript). As a newcomer to coding, it gives you the flexibility of learning something that can be applied across languages and platforms.

That's just my 2 pence.

Kind regards,

art@fatcatsbbsdotcom

"I am afraid the prisoner has eluded us, sir."
    "Eluded the Enterprise ?"
    -- Data and Picard in ST:TNG "The Hunted"

---
  • From art@VERT/FATCATS to Doctor N on Tue Dec 18 15:00:44 2012
    By: Doctor N to art on Mon Dec 17 2012 22:47:07

Ahoy Doctor N,

Well, I stand corrected and at least am learning from this. I asked around alot though, at IT friends and colleagues, and every single one of them
    said it wasn't possible. Also if you look on google for local execution of files with js, you also get alot of ppl saying it can't be done due to it not being a script for local use... This is actually the first time I
    heard anyone say it was possible, then even in a script which was already present in my pc. :p I will look into this. :)

Aye, you will want to check out the Synchronet API documentation, which explains (more or less) all the things you can do in JS for Synchronet.

Although most "commonfolk" will tell you JS can't execute local scripts, I hope no sysops have been telling you this. :| See echicken's previous post for a good explanation of server-side vs client side JS.

Thanks for the info and greetz,

No problem, if you would like more information, you can always join the official Synchronet IRC network and channel and ask there.

Kind regards,

art@fatcatsbbsdotcom

"Fate .. protects fools, little children, and ships named Enterprise."
    -- Riker in ST:TNG "Contagion"

---