• modem and bbs

From Kevin Thornton@VERT/ATZ0 to The Dark Rider on Wed Aug 22 19:46:45 2012
    Re: voice validate
    By: The Dark Rider to Poindexter Fortran on Sun Aug 19 2012 08:39 pm

By: Poindexter Fortran to The Dark Rider on Sun Aug 19 2012 08:52:44

Well, with Google Voice, as long as they're in the US, they're a f anyway... so if you're also in the States, it won't cost you anyth them and voice-validate. If anything, it will add the extra human something that is usually lacking these days.

Good point. I've got a Comcast phone line that came along with my cable/internet bundle; only gets used for overseas inbound calls from It's got free nationwide calling in the US, and overseas prices are p cheap nowadays.

I've got a decently powered old desktop machine I had laying about, put
    GB hard disk and 2 GB of RAM into it, and installed PBX in a Flash so I
    get Asterisk with minimal headaches. I've got one of my GV accounts hook through that, and then I got a $25 VoIP ATA made by Grandstream so I cou
    a real phone with it. It works with modems as well (up to about 9600 bau maybe 14.4k if I'm lucky that day, and of course it's got to be /ARQ or there's bad line noise).

I just wired up an old analog modem to my BBS; it's not supported und
    7, but passes through to the VM running the BBS just fine. I crashmai yesterday with it, it was the first time I heard modem tones in YEARS

That's awesome! I do my BBSing using Telix for DOS in a DOSBox window, a works pretty well. For any earlier Windows games and whatnot that I want use/play, I have a Win2K VM on VirtualBox. For the modem stuff, I need t
    my old laptop, and right now that's actually at work because it's more u
    to me there (i.e. for managing an old school Merlin MAGIX piece of work,

Cool I have two modems assigned a com port in my computer. I use one of them
    to run the bbs with a telephone line with filters. It nice to see people
    using modems again

---
    þ Synchronet þ ATZ0.com - Back to Basics
  • From Kevin Thornton@VERT/ATZ0 to Mro on Wed Aug 22 19:50:22 2012
    By: Mro to The Dark Rider on Tue Aug 21 2012 01:42 am

By: The Dark Rider to Poindexter Fortran on Sun Aug 19 2012 08:39 pm

80 GB hard disk and 2 GB of RAM into it, and installed PBX in a Flash could get Asterisk with minimal headaches. I've got one of my GV acco hooked in through that, and then I got a $25 VoIP ATA made by Grandst
    so I could use a real phone with it. It works with modems as well (up about 9600 baud, maybe 14.4k if I'm lucky that day, and of course it'
    to be /ARQ or else there's bad line noise).

i have a dialup number. a guy forwards from the number to my telnet addy some day i will rig up something to call it via dialup. that's really on dreams is to call my own bbs with a real modem and phone line again.

You can call your bbs via dialup right now. You have to hook your phone line
    to a modem and have bbs software that listen for the incoming call. I use maximus bbs software that listens for a incoming call from the modem. My line is magicjack line with filters. Works well. If you need help you can call my cell at (512) 363-2261 and ask for kevin I be willing to help get that setup

---
    þ Synchronet þ ATZ0.com - Back to Basics
  • From The Dark Rider@VERT/DUNDER to Mro on Wed Aug 22 23:57:06 2012
    By: Mro to The Dark Rider on Tue Aug 21 2012 01:40:55

i remember one time in the dialup days, i was talking to a female user onlin and she was helping me test something and it disconnected her. i called her voice and asked her to call back. it sort of freaked her out, maybe i broke through some sort of bbs > real life wall :D

Yeah, I had that happen a couple of times to me. That said, I did actually
    make some friends from a simple voice validation call... I guess some people really did want someone to talk to on the phone, lol.

---
    þ Synchronet þ Digital Underground - telnet://sinep.gotdns.com
  • From The Millionaire@VERT/PARKAVE to The Dark Rider on Thu Aug 23 18:00:07 2012
    By: The Dark Rider to Mro on Wed Aug 22 2012 06:57 pm

By: Mro to The Dark Rider on Tue Aug 21 2012 01:40:55

i remember one time in the dialup days, i was talking to a female user on and she was helping me test something and it disconnected her. i called h voice and asked her to call back. it sort of freaked her out, maybe i br through some sort of bbs > real life wall :D

Yeah, I had that happen a couple of times to me. That said, I did actually make some friends from a simple voice validation call... I guess some people really did want someone to talk to on the phone, lol.

Some didn't mind talking on the phone while others would say, "ok thanks." Iremember using Ezycbv and Mccbv For RA.

$ The Millionaire $
    Park Avenue Place
    Surrey, B.C., Canada Û  Û

the.millionaire@parkave.synchro.net

---
    þ Synchronet þ Park Avenue Place - parkave.synchro.net
  • From Mro@VERT/BBSESINF to The Millionaire on Sat Aug 25 15:46:07 2012
    By: The Millionaire to Mro on Tue Aug 21 2012 06:02 pm

i have a dialup number. a guy forwards from the number to my telnet
    addy. some day i will rig up something to call it via dialup. that's really one of dreams is to call my own bbs with a real modem and phone line again.

Yeah I would love to run a dialup bbs again myself one day again just for old times sake.

well i'm not so sure you would get many calls. maybe we need to develop a method for everyone to do it easily via voip.

my number is 513-322-6369 if anybody wants to call it. let me know if it's down. :D

---
    þ Synchronet þ ::: BBSES.info - free BBS services :::
  • From Mro@VERT/BBSESINF to The Millionaire on Sat Aug 25 15:46:55 2012
    By: The Millionaire to Mro on Tue Aug 21 2012 06:03 pm

open up the ports

I have my ports open on Synchronet through the Windows Firewall. Only my
    QWK comes in and that's it.

well you need to open and forward the ports in your router and perhaps your cable modem as well. you can go on irc.bbses.info #bbs and i can trouble shoot you some night via teamviewer

---
  • From Mro@VERT/BBSESINF to Kevin Thornton on Sat Aug 25 15:48:59 2012
    Re: dream
    By: Kevin Thornton to Mro on Wed Aug 22 2012 02:50 pm

You can call your bbs via dialup right now. You have to hook your phone
    line to a modem and have bbs software that listen for the incoming call. I use maximus bbs software that listens for a incoming call from the modem.
    My line is magicjack line with filters. Works well. If you need help you

i have not had a landline since 97. i have been all cell since then. my friends used to talk crap to me about me not having a phone and only using a cellphone, but now everyone's doing it.

regarding magicjack, please make an indestructable or something of that fashion because i know a lot of people would be interested in that.

---
  • From Mro@VERT/BBSESINF to The Dark Rider on Sat Aug 25 15:52:02 2012
    By: The Dark Rider to Mro on Wed Aug 22 2012 06:57 pm

Yeah, I had that happen a couple of times to me. That said, I did actually make some friends from a simple voice validation call... I guess some
    people really did want someone to talk to on the phone, lol.

I've made some lifelong friends through bbsing, and through bbsing on the internet. people i would trust everything with. it's too bad the rest of the people missed out on that type of community because it was a great way to meet good people in your area. now it's gone and never going to come back.

---
  • From the doctor@VERT/QBBS to MRO on Sun Aug 26 06:45:00 2012
    --- MRO wrote --
    I've made some lifelong friends through bbsing, and through bbsing on th internet. people i would trust everything with. it's too bad the rest of t people missed out on that type of community because it was a great way to good people in your area. now it's gone and never going to come back

Yeah.

I met my (second) wife on The Rock Garden, in Phoenix Arizona.

Because of that, I live in the UK, for 12 years. It's really cold here. I also have three children. Although I love them, they are very expensive, and it is also wet here.

Additionally, the oldest one (who is now 21, gasp!) was quite a handful when she was a teenager, and at one time, I knew all the police in the area, by name. They would stop me in the street and ask how she was.

Now, all of this, is *directly* due to The Rock Garden BBS, and I *had to pay* for those credits.

I've sent Jeff Moriarty and Michael Donnelly a strongly worded email, demanding some sort of compensation.

---
    * TARDIS BBS - Home of QUARKware * telnet bbs.cortex-media.info
  • From starbase@VERT/HAX0RQWK to the doctor on Sun Sep 2 17:08:10 2012
    By: the doctor to STARBASE on Sat Aug 18 2012 09:09 pm

--- STARBASE wrote --
    You can still do the voice valdate and all.

That's not such a bad idea...

It give you a idea of the new user that just signed on

---
    þ Synchronet þ .. hax0r's palace .. you've just been hax0r'd ..
  • From starbase@VERT/HAX0RQWK to The Millionaire on Sun Sep 2 17:10:56 2012
    By: The Millionaire to the doctor on Sun Aug 19 2012 12:53 pm

But if you do not accept new users to your board would that defeat the purpose of the board?

---
    þ Synchronet þ .. hax0r's palace .. you've just been hax0r'd ..
  • From The Millionaire@VERT/PARKAVE to starbase on Sun Sep 2 16:37:04 2012
    By: starbase to The Millionaire on Sun Sep 02 2012 09:10 pm

By: The Millionaire to the doctor on Sun Aug 19 2012 12:53 pm

But if you do not accept new users to your board would that defeat the purpose of the board?

Yes, but you can always limit the amount of users for a private board or you can just chit chat like some of us Sysops do. But the main reason of a bbs is to communicate with the general public but because of internet now, we have become an underground society.

$ The Millionaire $
    Park Avenue Place

---
  • From echicken@VERT/ECBBS to starbase on Mon Sep 3 08:39:05 2012
    By: starbase to The Millionaire on Sun Sep 02 2012 21:10:56

But if you do not accept new users to your board would that defeat the purpo of the board?

If you assume that the only purpose of a BBS is to accept new users, then yes. But if you already had a small userbase and wanted the BBS to be the home of some private club, denying access to new users would in fact fulfill the board's purpose.

echicken
    electronic chicken bbs - bbs.electronicchicken.com - 416-273-7230

---
    þ Synchronet þ electronic chicken bbs - bbs.electronicchicken.com
  • From Starbase@VERT/INFERNO to The Millionaire on Mon Sep 3 10:18:33 2012
    By: The Millionaire to starbase on Sun Sep 02 2012 08:37 pm

I know. I guess we will still be a underground community. The bbs is always available to the public.

---
    þ Synchronet þ The Inferno Radio BBS
  • From The Millionaire@VERT/PARKAVE to Starbase on Mon Sep 3 08:55:23 2012
    By: Starbase to The Millionaire on Mon Sep 03 2012 02:18 pm

By: The Millionaire to starbase on Sun Sep 02 2012 08:37 pm

I know. I guess we will still be a underground community. The bbs is always available to the public.

Just wish we could still attract big crowds like we did in the olden days.

$ The Millionaire $
    Park Avenue Place

---
  • From Starbase@VERT/KIA to The Millionaire on Wed Sep 5 05:47:57 2012
    By: The Millionaire to Starbase on Mon Sep 03 2012 12:55 pm

Just wish we could still attract big crowds like we did in the olden day
    Brings back memmories. I used to have up to 500 users on my board in Austin Tx back in the 80's and the 90's. It was a kool place. But us sysops from the 80's can only dream

---
    þ Synchronet þ Killed In Action BBS - kiabbs.org
  • From The Millionaire@VERT/PARKAVE to Starbase on Wed Sep 5 18:02:28 2012
    By: Starbase to The Millionaire on Wed Sep 05 2012 12:47 am

By: The Millionaire to Starbase on Mon Sep 03 2012 12:55 pm

Just wish we could still attract big crowds like we did in the olden day
    Brings back memmories. I used to have up to 500 users on my board in Austin Tx back in the 80's and the 90's. It was a kool place. But us sysops from the 80's can only dream

Yes, we can dream and also recollect a special time in our lives by re-living it even now.

$ The Millionaire $
    Park Avenue Place

---
  • From Starbase@VERT/TESBBS to The Millionaire on Sun Sep 23 00:48:41 2012
    By: The Millionaire to Starbase on Wed Sep 05 2012 01:02 pm

By: Starbase to The Millionaire on Wed Sep 05 2012 12:47 am
    it even now.
    Yes keep the dream alive. The bbs I run attaches me to the good old days.

---
    þ Synchronet þ the emergency scene - emergencyscene.net