• Re: C=64 term Was CAPS LO

From Lothar Savage@VERT/THEWASTE to Jimmy Mac on Fri Jan 6 21:19:00 2012
    Re: Re: C=64 term Was CAPS LO
    By: Jimmy Mac to DOVE-Net.Entertainment on Fri Dec 30 2011 12:00 am

I almost want to say that "War Games" was the reason I wnated to get a computer in the first place!

It was so funny to sit there and listen to the War dialer cycle through the numbers.. Sometimes you would hear that groggy voice "hheeelloo?" come from the speaker at 3AM while making the loops!! LOL!!!

Hehe, I also loved War Games. I definitely rememebr the voices coming over the speaker if you left the volume up. Great stuff.

---
    þ Synchronet þ The Wastelands BBS - wastelands-bbs.net - Keeping The Tradition Alive
  • From The Millionaire@VERT/PARKAVE to Lothar Savage on Sat Jan 7 00:35:28 2012
    By: Lothar Savage to Jimmy Mac on Fri Jan 06 2012 03:19 pm

I almost want to say that "War Games" was the reason I wnated to get a computer in the first place!

It was so funny to sit there and listen to the War dialer cycle through t numbers.. Sometimes you would hear that groggy voice "hheeelloo?" come fr the speaker at 3AM while making the loops!! LOL!!!

Hehe, I also loved War Games. I definitely rememebr the voices coming over t speaker if you left the volume up. Great stuff.

What about sending a modem tone to a non computer caller. LOL! That was
    funny. :-P

$ The Millionaire $
    Park Avenue Place
    Surrey, B.C., Canada Û  Û

---
    þ Synchronet þ Park Avenue Place - parkave.synchro.net
  • From Boraxman@VERT/MSRDBBS to The Millionaire on Mon Jan 9 01:19:23 2012
    By: The Millionaire to Lothar Savage on Fri Jan 06 2012 06:35 pm

By: Lothar Savage to Jimmy Mac on Fri Jan 06 2012 03:19 pm

It was so funny to sit there and listen to the War dialer cycle throug numbers.. Sometimes you would hear that groggy voice "hheeelloo?" come the speaker at 3AM while making the loops!! LOL!!!

Hehe, I also loved War Games. I definitely rememebr the voices coming ove speaker if you left the volume up. Great stuff.

What about sending a modem tone to a non computer caller. LOL! That was funny. :-P

$ The Millionaire $
    Park Avenue Place

I had a letter from the phone company sent to me house once (when I was living with my parents) about a complaint. It was an old lady I accidently dialled, twice. I thought a formal letter was a bit much over a couple of phone calls.

---
    þ Synchronet þ MS & RD BBs - bbs.mozysswamp.org
  • From Lothar Savage@VERT/THEWASTE to The Millionaire on Tue Jan 10 19:45:00 2012

Hehe, I also loved War Games. I definitely rememebr the voices coming ove speaker if you left the volume up. Great stuff.

What about sending a modem tone to a non computer caller. LOL! That was funny. :-P

$ The Millionaire $
    Park Avenue Place

Heh, I remember chatting with a friend and suddenly seeing bursts of random characters, and he said it was when his dad was picking up the line to see if he could call out. I thought the modem would just disconnect if that happened, so I guess error correction must have been fairly good at that point.

Lothar Savage
    Berkeley, CA

---
    þ Synchronet þ The Wastelands BBS - wastelands-bbs.net - Keeping The Tradition Alive
  • From The Millionaire@VERT/PARKAVE to Lothar Savage on Tue Jan 10 23:48:07 2012
    By: Lothar Savage to The Millionaire on Tue Jan 10 2012 01:45 pm

Hehe, I also loved War Games. I definitely rememebr the voices coming speaker if you left the volume up. Great stuff.

$ The Millionaire $
    Park Avenue Place

Heh, I remember chatting with a friend and suddenly seeing bursts of random characters, and he said it was when his dad was picking up the line to see i he could call out. I thought the modem would just disconnect if that happene so I guess error correction must have been fairly good at that point.

Lothar Savage
    Berkeley, CA

LOL! :-)
    NO CARRIER
    _

$ The Millionaire $
    Park Avenue Place

---
  • From Dreamer@VERT to Lothar Savage on Wed Jan 11 01:24:38 2012

Heh, I remember chatting with a friend and suddenly seeing bursts of random characters, and he said it was when his dad was picking up the line to see i he could call out. I thought the modem would just disconnect if that happene so I guess error correction must have been fairly good at that point.

Nah, with the error correction data flow would just STOP...pause pause pause then continue. Morning dew and showers would wreck havoc with our line for a couple years before the phone company finally took care of it, so I had plenty of experience between that and random pickups. ;)

My first modem was a 1200 with no error correction; someone picking up a phone would cause a decent bout of noise characters.

---
    þ Synchronet þ Vertrauen þ Home of Synchronet þ telnet://vert.synchro.net
  • From The Millionaire@VERT/PARKAVE to Dreamer on Wed Jan 11 01:38:35 2012
    By: Dreamer to Lothar Savage on Tue Jan 10 2012 07:24 pm

Heh, I remember chatting with a friend and suddenly seeing bursts of rand characters, and he said it was when his dad was picking up the line to se he could call out. I thought the modem would just disconnect if that happ so I guess error correction must have been fairly good at that point.

Nah, with the error correction data flow would just STOP...pause pause pause then continue. Morning dew and showers would wreck havoc with our line for couple years before the phone company finally took care of it, so I had plen of experience between that and random pickups. ;)

My first modem was a 1200 with no error correction; someone picking up a pho would cause a decent bout of noise characters.

My first modem was the Taihaho 300 baud modem for the C64/C64c.

$ The Millionaire $
    Park Avenue Place

---
  • From Dreamer@VERT to The Millionaire on Wed Jan 11 21:48:46 2012
    By: The Millionaire to Dreamer on Tue Jan 10 2012 07:38 pm

I forget what the make and model of mine was... I was using an Amiga 500 with an external serial modem.

---
    þ Synchronet þ Vertrauen þ Home of Synchronet þ telnet://vert.synchro.net
  • From The Millionaire@VERT/PARKAVE to Dreamer on Thu Jan 12 00:06:50 2012
    By: Dreamer to The Millionaire on Wed Jan 11 2012 03:48 pm

I forget what the make and model of mine was... I was using an Amiga 500 wit an external serial modem.

Yeah I had an Amiga 500 back then too. It was poorly marketed and I got rid
    of it. :-(

$ The Millionaire $
    Park Avenue Place

---
  • From Boraxman@VERT/MSRDBBS to Lothar Savage on Sat Jan 14 01:02:29 2012

Hehe, I also loved War Games. I definitely rememebr the voices coming speaker if you left the volume up. Great stuff.

$ The Millionaire $
    Park Avenue Place

Lothar Savage
    Berkeley, CA

I think they just didn't disconnect as readily. I remember that too. But I also remember that often, even if the line didn't disconnect, it would sometime just cease to function properly.

---
    þ Synchronet þ MS & RD BBs - bbs.mozysswamp.org
  • From Lothar Savage@VERT/THEWASTE to Dreamer on Fri Jan 13 23:50:00 2012
    By: Dreamer to Lothar Savage on Tue Jan 10 2012 07:24 pm

My first modem was a 1200 with no error correction; someone picking up a pho would cause a decent bout of noise characters.

Ahh, that makes sense. This was on a Hayes 1200 smartmodem after all hehe.

Lothar Savage
    Berkeley, CA

---
  • From Lothar Savage@VERT/THEWASTE to The Millionaire on Fri Jan 13 23:51:00 2012
    By: The Millionaire to Dreamer on Wed Jan 11 2012 06:06 pm

By: Dreamer to The Millionaire on Wed Jan 11 2012 03:48 pm

I forget what the make and model of mine was... I was using an Amiga 500 an external serial modem.

Yeah I had an Amiga 500 back then too. It was poorly marketed and I got rid of it. :-(

$ The Millionaire $
    Park Avenue Place

I eventually got an Amiga 500 myself. That was probably the best computer ever made, or at least the most ahead of its time upon release.

Lothar Savage
    Berkeley, CA

---