• Star Trek - Into Darkness

From The Millionaire@VERT/PARKAVE to All on Sun Sep 8 00:46:49 2013
    For all you Trekkie fans out there, what was your opinion on the latest Star Trek movie, "Into Darkness". I thought it was more better than the original one
    back in 2009 but found a lot of references to the old movies which found it ot be rather disappointing at times. Otherwise, I gave it up 2 thumbs up!

Update: According to Chris Pine and Zachary Quinto, they will do one more movie
    next year in 2014 and then they will hang up their boots. Rumours are flying around whether J.J. Abrams will direct this time around.

$ The Millionaire $
    Park Avenue Place
    Surrey, B.C., Canada
    the.millionaire@parkave.synchro.net

---
    þ Synchronet þ Park Avenue Place - parkave.synchro.net
  • From Nightfox@VERT/DIGDIST to The Millionaire on Sun Sep 8 03:22:08 2013
    Re: Star Trek - Into Darkness
    By: The Millionaire to All on Sat Sep 07 2013 19:46:49

For all you Trekkie fans out there, what was your opinion on the latest Star Trek movie, "Into Darkness". I thought it was more better than the original one back in 2009 but found a lot of references to the old movies which found it ot be rather disappointing at times. Otherwise, I gave it up 2 thumbs up!

I'm still not sure if I like the fact that they rebooted Star Trek, but that aside, I enjoyed Into Darkness, and I liked the references to the old movies. I thought it was definitely at least as good as the previous Star Trek movie, perhaps better, as you've said.

Update: According to Chris Pine and Zachary Quinto, they will do one more movie next year in 2014 and then they will hang up their boots. Rumours are flying around whether J.J. Abrams will direct this time around.

Wow, I wonder why the three of them would only want to do one more Star Trek movie. As popular as the last 2 Star Trek movies have been, I'd think they'd be in it for as long as they can. They've certainly done a good job so far. It wouldn't be the same without them. It seems weird that the original Star Trek actors did 6 movies, then there were 4 with the Next Generation crew, and now there might only be 3 of these new movies.

Nightfox

---
    þ Synchronet þ Digital Distortion BBS - digitaldistortionbbs.com
  • From Poindexter Fortran@VERT/REALITY to Nightfox on Mon Sep 9 00:52:05 2013
    By: Nightfox to The Millionaire on Sat Sep 07 2013 10:22 pm

I'm still not sure if I like the fact that they rebooted Star Trek, but that aside, I enjoyed Into Darkness, and I liked the references to the old movies. I thought it was definitely at least as good as the previous Star Trek movie, perhaps better, as you've said.

I'm still waiting for the gritty, pre-Kirk show. Enterprise didn't feel right. The NX-01 Enterprise felt too slick, too safe.

---
    þ Synchronet þ realitycheckBBS -- http://realitycheckBBS.org
  • From Nightfox@VERT/DIGDIST to Poindexter Fortran on Mon Sep 9 03:03:02 2013
    By: Poindexter Fortran to Nightfox on Sun Sep 08 2013 19:52:05

I'm still waiting for the gritty, pre-Kirk show. Enterprise didn't feel right. The NX-01 Enterprise felt too slick, too safe.

I think Enterprise is still considered canon though, so I'm not sure if they'll re-do it. But who knows - It seems like everything is being rebooted these days..

I agree that the NX-01 Enterprise seemed too slick and in some way too modern compared to the original NCC-1701, but on the other hand, if the NX-01 were made in reality, it might even look more modern than that.

What I'd like to see, though, is a Star Trek movie or TV show dealing with the NCC-1701-B or 1701-C. We really only saw those ships once in all of Star Trek, so I think those time periods would provided plenty of opportunity for stories. Or something that continues in the main timeline after the events of DS9 and Voyager would be good too.

Nightfox

---
  • From First Officer@VERT/HOLODECK to Poindexter Fortran on Mon Sep 9 14:32:19 2013
    By: Poindexter Fortran to Nightfox on Sun Sep 08 2013 07:52 pm

I dunno :)

Never wanted to use the Transporter as they were so fragile and did not work half of the time. <grin>

The ships weaponry absolutely sucked. I remember they finally did upgrades, but I was never comfortable that they actually would be able to use those Phase Cannons to do any damage to some of the more experienced Star jumpers, like Klingons etc.

I thought that it was a lot more gritty than the TNG, Voyager and TOS shows. I loved hating the vulcans, I still laugh today about the first episodes where You could tell Archer wanted to Knock T'pol right on her ass. Them friggin pompous Vulcans. My problem with show was it went the Voyager route for two seasons chasing after that mini death star thing. There was some good episodes in that time, but keeping the same project for so long weighs it down. IMHO. I think if it had not been for those two seasons, That is what killed it off. The last season was much better, but the decision to kill it had already been made based on the two seasons they wandered, like voyager.

I realize we all have our likes and dislikes, but I found The Enterprise series had potential that they were just starting to reach when they were canceled. They could have went the whole 7 years and been entertaining to ST fans, maybe not in the same way as some of the other ST series, but I belive it was picking up. I sometimes wonder if it was canceled in prep to get ST out of peoples minds so that the New Movies would be more wanted and accepted. I would imagine there would be more money in the movies being sucessful.

Have a good One!
    Mike

---
    þ Synchronet þ The Holodeck BBS
  • From Nightfox@VERT/DIGDIST to First Officer on Mon Sep 9 13:00:19 2013
    By: First Officer to Poindexter Fortran on Mon Sep 09 2013 09:32:19

ass. Them friggin pompous Vulcans. My problem with show was it went the Voyager route for two seasons chasing after that mini death star thing.

I think it was just one season (season 3). I was glad when that was over and they went back to doing individual stories for each episode.

I realize we all have our likes and dislikes, but I found The Enterprise series had potential that they were just starting to reach when they were canceled. They could have went the whole 7 years and been entertaining to

I felt the same way about it. I would have liked to see it go for a few more years.

Nightfox

---
  • From First Officer@VERT/HOLODECK to Nightfox on Mon Sep 9 19:19:46 2013
    By: Nightfox to First Officer on Mon Sep 09 2013 08:00 am

I felt the same way about it. I would have liked to see it go for a few more years.

I know it was canceled abruptly and a couple of things I don't understand. What was the deal with Trips/T'pols kid? How did they wrap up the thing where Archer would see the time Traveler every few episodes? Who was he and what was his purpose? I actually missed most of the last episode due to an outtage in our cable. Maybe they never did address this stuff, Just asking, as I was always curious.

Have a good One!
    Mike

---
    þ Synchronet þ The Holodeck BBS
  • From Nightfox@VERT/DIGDIST to First Officer on Mon Sep 9 17:52:03 2013
    I know it was canceled abruptly and a couple of things I don't understand. What was the deal with Trips/T'pols kid? How did they wrap up the thing where Archer would see the time Traveler every few episodes? Who was he and what was his purpose? I actually missed most of the last episode due to an outtage in our cable. Maybe they never did address this stuff, Just asking, as I was always curious.

As far as Tripp & T'Pol's son, as far as I understand, that never happened because T'Pol and Tripp didn't end up getting married or having children. I was wondering about that myself until I watched Enterprise again last year,
    and it seemed that the storyline of them getting married and having a child only happened in the alternate future timeline with the Enterprise that had been out in space for 150 years (or so). I don't know why they didn't get married, and I was somewhat disappointed in that.

As far as the Traveler from the future, I agree that was never really
    explained clearly. I'm not sure if that really needed closure, but I was also curious why that traveler visited Archer, and that was never really explained.

Nightfox

---
  • From The Millionaire@VERT/PARKAVE to Poindexter Fortran on Mon Sep 9 18:05:29 2013
    By: Poindexter Fortran to Nightfox on Sun Sep 08 2013 07:52 pm

By: Nightfox to The Millionaire on Sat Sep 07 2013 10:22 pm

I'm still not sure if I like the fact that they rebooted Star Trek, but that aside, I enjoyed Into Darkness, and I liked the references to the old movies. I thought it was definitely at least as good as the
    previous Star Trek movie, perhaps better, as you've said.

There will be another Star Trek show in 2014. Details are unknown though.

$ The Millionaire $
    Park Avenue Place
    Surrey, B.C., Canada
    the.millionaire@parkave.synchro.net

---
    þ Synchronet þ Park Avenue Place - parkave.synchro.net
  • From Mro@VERT/BBSESINF to Nightfox on Mon Sep 9 20:35:05 2013
    Re: Star Trek Enterprise
    By: Nightfox to First Officer on Mon Sep 09 2013 12:52 pm

didn't get married, and I was somewhat disappointed in that.

As far as the Traveler from the future, I agree that was never really explained clearly. I'm not sure if that really needed closure, but I was also curious why that traveler visited Archer, and that was never really explained.

there's wikis out there that lay out the convoluted story line and explain all this.

enterprise was really a waste of good talent and chock full of bad writing.

---
    þ Synchronet þ ::: BBSES.info - free BBS services :::
  • From Khelair@VERT/TINFOIL to Nightfox on Tue Sep 10 19:59:21 2013
    Re: Star Trek Enterprise
    By: Nightfox to First Officer on Mon Sep 09 2013 12:52:03

As far as the Traveler from the future, I agree that was never really explained clearly. I'm not sure if that really needed closure, but I was al curious why that traveler visited Archer, and that was never really explaine

I HATE it when a good series gets cancelled in a manner like that. Leaving such detailed and intricate plots and sub-plots hanging in the
    breeze because budgeting convention runs on whatever location's fiscal
    year cutoffs is a bunch of shit. I'd sell a nut to see where Enterprise
    could have gone with a FEW seasons to finish up, and the same with
    Deadwood, Threshold (which I still maintain is one of my scifi favorites
    to this day-- god only one or two seasons and that show was AWESOME, the perfect mix of horror, thriller, and scifi), and a few others. I know
    that some of them have tried to do movies, too, but it fell apart for one reason or another. Such a disappointment, especially when good stuff gets replaced with reality shows because the production costs are dirt cheap
    and there are plenty of morons to watch that crap.

-The opinions expressed are not necessarily an advocation of any of the aforementioned ideologies, concepts, or actions. We still have the freedom of speech, for now, and I enjoy using it in a satirical or ficticious manner to amuse myself-

"In times of universal deceit, telling the truth will be a
    revolutionary act." -- George Orwell

---
    þ Synchronet þ Tinfoil Tetrahedron : telnet bismaninfo.hopto.org 8023 : http:8080
  • From Nightfox@VERT/DIGDIST to Khelair on Wed Sep 11 00:39:58 2013
    Re: Re: Star Trek Enterprise
    By: Khelair to Nightfox on Tue Sep 10 2013 14:59:21

I HATE it when a good series gets cancelled in a manner like that.
    Leaving such detailed and intricate plots and sub-plots hanging in the breeze because budgeting convention runs on whatever location's fiscal year cutoffs is a bunch of shit.

I agree. Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles was like that too. It only lasted for 2 seasons before it was canceled and ended rather abruptly, right as it opened a bunch of new questions which of course never got answered.

Nightfox

---
  • From Khelair@VERT/TINFOIL to Nightfox on Wed Sep 11 11:51:07 2013
    Re: Re: Star Trek Enterprise
    By: Nightfox to Khelair on Tue Sep 10 2013 19:39:58

I agree. Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles was like that too. It onl lasted for 2 seasons before it was canceled and ended rather abruptly, right it opened a bunch of new questions which of course never got answered.

Yeah, I didn't get too far into that one; I think I made it
    through Season 1, but it was competing with Deadwood and I think one other series I was getting into at the time and I just couldn't hold onto three
    of them at the same time when watching back to back. It seemed pretty
    good, though. Hell, it had Glau, that's a point in favor of it right
    there. Heh.
    When the shit hits the fan some people that share these views need
    to band together and invade Hollywood to get some of this shit taken care
    of and finished up right. ;)

-The opinions expressed are not necessarily an advocation of any of the aforementioned ideologies, concepts, or actions. We still have the freedom of speech, for now, and I enjoy using it in a satirical or ficticious manner to amuse myself-

"In times of universal deceit, telling the truth will be a
    revolutionary act." -- George Orwell

---
    þ Synchronet þ Tinfoil Tetrahedron : telnet bismaninfo.hopto.org 8023 : http:8080
  • From Nightfox@VERT/DIGDIST to Khelair on Wed Sep 11 17:31:27 2013
    I agree. Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles was like that too. It onl lasted for 2 seasons before it was canceled and ended rather abruptly, right it opened a bunch of new questions which of course never got answered.

Yeah, I didn't get too far into that one; I think I made it
    through Season 1, but it was competing with Deadwood and I think one other series I was getting into at the time and I just couldn't hold onto three
    of them at the same time when watching back to back. It seemed pretty
    good, though. Hell, it had Glau, that's a point in favor of it right
    there. Heh.

True about Glau. :P I thought the show had some interesting plot lines too. But now the show is on DVD & blu-ray, and if it's on Netflix, it could be watched there too.

Nightfox

---
  • From Kirkman@VERT/GUARDIAN to The Millionaire on Fri Sep 13 17:16:10 2013
    By: The Millionaire to All on Sat Sep 07 2013 07:46 pm

For all you Trekkie fans out there, what was your opinion on the latest Star Trek movie, "Into Darkness". I thought it was more better than the original one back in 2009 but found a lot of references to the old movies which found it ot be rather disappointing at times. Otherwise, I gave it up 2 thumbs up!

I saw it at the screening on opening night in St. Louis. I had written a story and an interactive graphic for the newspaper keyed off the opening of the movie.

http://www.stltoday.com/entertainment/movies/capt-kirk-s-most-memorable-love-in terests/article_34ea4eed-b9ca-5431-9185-fb87104c27b1.html

My wife (who loves Benedict Cumberbatch) had been following all the movie rumors and stuff very closely. I went out of my way to avoid it all.

Anyway, all the surprises in the movie were genuine surprises to me. I honestly didn't believe they would revisit Khan. He was just so iconic, and the movie
    is so fondly remembered -- plus, they went out of their way to set these new films in an alternate timeline. I figured they strike out into new territory this time around.

Seeing it with a big audience, who all audibly gasped during the big reveal, heightened the experience.

For me, one moment of terror was when the Carol Marcus character was introduced as Carol Wallace. I had written that Kirk romance feature story which was coming out the next day based on the premise that Carol Marcus was one of the few "known" quantities in the film. Boy was I spooked that I might have gotten it all wrong. Thankfully it was just a red herring.

Anyway, I watched the movie again with my wife. She was so upset with Benedict being Khan, despite her love for him as an actor. Khan is supposed to be Indian, and Cumberbatch is just as white as can be. She just could suspend disbelief, especially since this isn't straight reboot, but an alternate timeline in which the Khan of this film is the same as the Khan of TOS.

Personally, I really enjoyed the film, enjoyed the way they flipped some of TWOK's climactic bits, thought the action was compelling.

But the bottom line is that these movies, while produced by Trek fans, are not really Trek movies. They are serving up as much nostalgia as needed to get people interested, plus the requisite sex and action. But there's no meat in the stories. Even the Trek movies were full of ideas and allusions to literature. Not so the reboots.

I enjoy the two films on their merits. They are fun to watch. Abrams has some powerful scenes and sequences, especially the bit with the dad who makes a deal with the devil to save his daughter.

But these films aren't truly Star Trek.

--Josh

////--------------------------------------------------
    BiC -=- http://breakintochat.com -=- bbs wiki and blog

---
    þ Synchronet