• Netflix Pix?

From Poindexter Fortran@VERT/REALITY to All on Sat Apr 12 06:56:00 2014
    Anyone have any Netflix recommendations? I've been binge-watching old
    series on my lunch breaks - finished the West Wing, The Guild, Firefly, and
    for kicks went back to watch season 1 of Voyager. Not as bad as I'd
    remembered, but I still hated Kes and Neelix.

I watched the original "Girl with the Dragon Tattoo" trilogy and can
    heartily recommend it. As much as I liked the Trent Reznor/Atticus Ross soundtrack of the remake, the original has that sparse, slightly bleak scandinavian aesthetic that I like.

Speaking of which, there's a detective series called "Wallander" on Netflix that's pretty good. There's an original Swedish version with subtitles and
    a remake starring Kenneth Branagh (but looks like it was filmed in
    Scandinavia and follows the same mood/feel). Very good.

Netflix' House of Cards was wonderful, and keeping with the current theme,
    the original BBC miniseries is on Netflix, too.

There's a couple of good "Best movies you've never heard of on Netflix
    right now" I want to try out. Adventureland with Jesse Eisenberg and
    Kristin Stewart looks interesting.

Brick was a funny little film - a gumshow detective noir story that should
    have been shot in the 50s but instead is set in a high school. Joseph Gordon-Leavitt craps bigger than Sam Spade in this film.

... From nothing to more than nothing
    --- MultiMail/Win32 v0.50
    þ Synchronet þ realitycheckBBS -- http://realitycheckBBS.org
  • From Gryphon@VERT/CYBERIA to Poindexter Fortran on Sat Apr 12 13:52:00 2014
    On 04-12-14, Poindexter Fortran said the following...

Anyone have any Netflix recommendations? I've been binge-watching old series on my lunch breaks - finished the West Wing, The Guild, Firefly, and for kicks went back to watch season 1 of Voyager. Not as bad as I'd remembered, but I still hated Kes and Neelix.

Doctor Who. Start with the new reboot in 2005 with Christopher Eccleston as The Doctor. Then follow along to the end of the current run with Matt Smith. Then go back for some history and start watching the series from the
    beginngin with William Hartnell.

I first started watching The Doctor when I was in high school and caught the show on PBS. At that time, Tom Baker played the fourth Doctor.

But if you want to watch th greatest selection of the older classic episodes, you will have to go to Hulu+. Neither Netflix nor Amazon carry those older classics.

--- Mystic BBS v1.10 A38 (Linux)
    * Origin: Cyberia BBS | Cyberia.Darktech.Org | Kingwood, TX
  • From Knight@VERT/PHUNC to Poindexter Fortran on Sun Apr 13 04:10:26 2014
    Re: Netflix Pix?
    By: Poindexter Fortran to All on Sat Apr 12 2014 07:56 am

series on my lunch breaks - finished the West Wing, The Guild, Firefly, and for kicks went back to watch season 1 of Voyager. Not as bad as I'd remembered, but I still hated Kes and Neelix.

I watched the original "Girl with the Dragon Tattoo" trilogy and can heartily recommend it. As much as I liked the Trent Reznor/Atticus Ross soundtrack of the remake, the original has that sparse, slightly bleak scandinavian aesthetic that I like.

Speaking of which, there's a detective series called "Wallander" on Netflix that's pretty good. There's an original Swedish version with subtitles and
    a remake starring Kenneth Branagh (but looks like it was filmed in Scandinavia and follows the same mood/feel). Very good.

Netflix' House of Cards was wonderful, and keeping with the current theme, the original BBC miniseries is on Netflix, too.

There's a couple of good "Best movies you've never heard of on Netflix
    right now" I want to try out. Adventureland with Jesse Eisenberg and
    Kristin Stewart looks interesting.

Brick was a funny little film - a gumshow detective noir story that should have been shot in the 50s but instead is set in a high school. Joseph Gordon-Leavitt craps bigger than Sam Spade in this film.

... From nothing to more than nothing

I'm just finishing up Star Trek Voyager right now. I'm on Season 7. I avoided it when it was airing because I hated Kes and Neelix too, ha! But a colleague of mine recently got me to watch DS9 and Voyager, so I've got one of them on almost every night. I'm watching one right now as I type this.

My favorite of the franchise is still The Next Generation, but I'm biased. Great balance of characters.

Have you watched NetFlix's Orange Is The New Black? It's GOOD.

Another series I enjoyed a ton recently was Top of the Lake. It has similarity to the scandinavian aesthetic you liked, but Australian instead. Characters are vibrant and crisp, yet slightly weird and off. Great series.

If you haven't watched it yet you need to see The Missing too. Similar, and very atmospheric. It's suppose to be rainy Seattle I think.

Lastly, I'd recommend checking out Damages. It's a legal drama/mystery/suspense, but it's nothing like typical legal dramas (which I can't personally stand). It's deep, dark, and twisty.

I'll try thinking of some more goodies...

Knight

---
    þ Synchronet þ The Phunc BBS -- Back from the dead!
  • From Knight@VERT/PHUNC to Gryphon on Sun Apr 13 04:14:31 2014
    Re: Re: Netflix Pix?
    By: Gryphon to Poindexter Fortran on Sat Apr 12 2014 02:52 pm

On 04-12-14, Poindexter Fortran said the following...

Anyone have any Netflix recommendations? I've been binge-watching old series on my lunch breaks - finished the West Wing, The Guild, Firefly, and for kicks went back to watch season 1 of Voyager. Not as bad as I'd remembered, but I still hated Kes and Neelix.

Doctor Who. Start with the new reboot in 2005 with Christopher Eccleston as The Doctor. Then follow along to the end of the current run with Matt Smith
    Then go back for some history and start watching the series from the beginngin with William Hartnell.

I first started watching The Doctor when I was in high school and caught the show on PBS. At that time, Tom Baker played the fourth Doctor.

But if you want to watch th greatest selection of the older classic episodes
    you will have to go to Hulu+. Neither Netflix nor Amazon carry those older classics.

I use to watch Doctor Who on KICU or KQEH in the Bay Area, a PBS affiliate. I don't remember which one off hand. It wasn't as nice as KQED, which seemed to have tons of money and new shows. But this PBS-affiliate was old school.

It came on late at night, and between the ages of 9 and 12 I'd curl up on the end of my bed and watch it on my little bedroom TV. I'd sysop my BBS while watching it too. Great memories.

The reboot is OK. I'm less of a fan of it as most people seem to like it. I found the quirkiness of the original series to be more captivating... there was something about the budget variations, the concepts and ideas, and cheasy costumes I really enjoyed.

Knight

---
    þ Synchronet þ The Phunc BBS -- Back from the dead!
  • From Gryphon@VERT/CYBERIA to Knight on Mon Apr 14 09:05:00 2014
    On 04-13-14, Knight said the following...

By: Gryphon to Poindexter Fortran on Sat Apr 12 2014 02:52 pm

On 04-12-14, Poindexter Fortran saidthe following...

Anyone have any Netflix recommendations? I've been binge-watching series on my lunch breaks - finished the West Wing, The Guild, Fi and for kicks went back to watch season 1 of Voyager. Not as bad remembered, but I still hated Kes and Neelix.

Doctor Who. Start with the new reboot in 2005 with ChristopherEcclest The Doctor. Then follow along to the end of the current run with Matt
    Then go back for some historyand start watching the series from the beginngin with William Hartnell.

I first started watching The Doctor when I was in high school and caug show on PBS. At that time, Tom Baker played the fourth Doctor.

But if you want to watch th greatest selection of the older classic ep
    you will have to go to Hulu+. Neither Netflix nor Amazon carry those classics.

I use to watch Doctor Who on KICU or KQEH in the Bay Area, a PBS affiliate. I don't remember which one offhand. It wasn't as nice as
    KQED, which seemed to have tons of money and new shows. But this PBS-affiliate was old school.

It came on late at night, and between the ages of 9 and 12 I'd curl up
    on the end of my bed and watch it on my little bedroom TV. I'd sysop my BBS while watching it too. Great memories.

We must have been from the same area, because those are the stations I
    watched them from too. Although KICU was not a PBS station, IIRC. KQED was the San Francisco PBS station, and KTEH was the San Jose PBS station. So if you were lucky, you had a secondary option for watching those shows. I've
    been out of the area for decades. Is the Sutro Tower still there?

The reboot is OK. I'm less of a fan of it as most people seem to like
    it.I found the quirkiness of the original series to be more
    captivating... there was something about the budget variations, the concepts and ideas, and cheasy costumes I really enjoyed.

You are correct, the reboot has a completely different flavor thatn the originals. But I have to confess, I hardely had any ability to watch the
    show past the 4th Doctor. I am looking forward to watching the complete seasons of the classics.

* Origin: Cyberia
  • From Poindexter Fortran@VERT/REALITY to Gryphon on Mon Apr 14 12:40:19 2014
    By: Gryphon to Knight on Mon Apr 14 2014 10:05 am

watched them from too. Although KICU was not a PBS station, IIRC. KQED was the San Francisco PBS station, and KTEH was the San Jose PBS station. So if you were lucky, you had a secondary option for watching those shows. I've been out of the area for decades. Is the Sutro Tower still there?

Dr. Who was on KTEH back when I was growing up in the 80s; Sutro Tower is still there, and blasting out HD TV. I plugged my house's rooftop antenna in a few weeks ago and found a ton of stations that came in clearer than my cable connection.

---
  • From Knight@VERT/PHUNC to Gryphon on Mon Apr 14 16:26:36 2014

We must have been from the same area, because those are the stations I watched them from too. Although KICU was not a PBS station, IIRC. KQED was the San Francisco PBS station, and KTEH was the San Jose PBS station. So if you were lucky, you had a secondary option for watching those shows. I've been out of the area for decades. Is the Sutro Tower still there?

Yep, sounds like we were both from the peninsula. I lived in San Francisco and Menlo Park. You're right! It was KTEH that I was thinking of. It was much
    more low budget than KQED was. Sutro is still there!

You are correct, the reboot has a completely different flavor thatn the originals. But I have to confess, I hardely had any ability to watch the show past the 4th Doctor. I am looking forward to watching the complete seasons of the classics.

I had the same experience. The reboot is fun and fresh, and thankfully attracted a new generation of viewers to the series, but I have a hard time getting into it past the first couple of seasons. Maybe I'll revisit it in a couple of years once my bias has gone away a bit.

"They just don't make shows like they use to." Heh. Now I'm sounding like a grandpa.

Knight

---
    þ Synchronet þ The Phunc BBS -- Back from the dead! -- telnet to bbs.phunc.com
  • From Knight@VERT/PHUNC to Poindexter Fortran on Mon Apr 14 16:27:51 2014
    By: Poindexter Fortran to Gryphon on Mon Apr 14 2014 01:40 pm

Dr. Who was on KTEH back when I was growing up in the 80s; Sutro Tower is st there, and blasting out HD TV. I plugged my house's rooftop antenna in a few weeks ago and found a ton of stations that came in clearer than my cable connection.

That was exactly it, KTEH. I struggled to remember it. That was me, watching late night Doctor Who on KTEH in the 80s. At the time I thought I was the only one. Always refreshing to know that there were quite a few others with a similar experience.

Knight

---
  • From Mro@VERT/BBSESINF to Poindexter Fortran on Mon Apr 14 19:41:51 2014

Dr. Who was on KTEH back when I was growing up in the 80s; Sutro Tower is still there, and blasting out HD TV. I plugged my house's rooftop antenna
    in a few weeks ago and found a ton of stations that came in clearer than my

i tried watching the older doctor who's and just couldnt get into it.
    seems like it was made for a younger audience.

the current doctor whos are normally great, though.

---
    þ Synchronet þ ::: BBSES.info - free BBS services :::
  • From Gryphon@VERT/CYBERIA to Knight on Tue Apr 15 13:25:00 2014
    On 04-14-14, Knight said the following...

Dr. Who was on KTEH back when I was growing up in the 80s; Sutro Tower there, and blasting out HD TV. I plugged my house's rooftop antenna in weeks ago and found a ton of stations that came in clearer than my cab connection.

That was exactly it, KTEH. I struggled to remember it. That was me, watching late night Doctor Who on KTEH in the 80s. At the time I thought
    I was the only one. Always refreshing to know that there were quite a
    few others with a similar experience.

Knight

The other day, I was going through my old stuff. I was looking for any
    program or anything that I might have got from a convention that Tom Baker appeared at, circa 1980. I remember I was a senior in H.S., and it had
    already been announced that Peter Davison was to be the 5th Doctor. I can't remember if the Con was somewhere in SF, or in SJ. I remember attending a
    few BayCon's, SiliCon's and TimeCon's at the Red Lion Inn in San Jose (http://rule6.info/timecon.html and http://www.renegadechickens.com/wacky/Torians/Torians.pdf) and other venues
    in the bay area.

• From Gryphon@VERT/CYBERIA to Mro on Tue Apr 15 13:41:00 2014
    On 04-14-14, Mro said the following...

Dr. Who was on KTEH back when I wasgrowing up in the 80s; Sutro Tower still there, and blasting out HD TV. I plugged my house's rooftop ante in a few weeks ago and found a ton of stations that came in clearer th

i tried watching the older doctor who's and just couldnt get into it. seems like it was made for a younger audience.

I think that those episodes are definately made for an audience of that time. I'm not sure if the audiance is suppose to be kids or adults.

the current doctor whos are normally great, though.

I like it too.

• From Froggyme@VERT/LILLYPAD to Knight on Tue Apr 15 21:22:15 2014
    By: Knight to Gryphon on Sun Apr 13 2014 05:14 am

I use to watch Doctor Who on KICU or KQEH in the Bay Area, a PBS affiliate. I don't remember which one off hand. It wasn't as nice as KQED, which seemed to have tons of money and new shows. But this PBS-affiliate was old school.

It came on late at night, and between the ages of 9 and 12 I'd curl up on the end of my bed and watch it on my little bedroom TV. I'd sysop my BBS while watching it too. Great memories.

Oh man, that sounds so nice right now. Would they also show Red Dwarf?

---
    þ Synchronet þ Sent from The Lillypad BBS - lillypad.synchro.net:2323
  • From Froggyme@VERT/LILLYPAD to Gryphon on Tue Apr 15 21:24:26 2014

I've been out of the area for decades. Is the Sutro Tower still there?

Yes, looming ominously above the Bay.

I know KCSM San Mateo produced the Computer Chronicles. Was their TV station a PBS affiliate too?

---
  • From Gryphon@VERT/CYBERIA to Froggyme on Wed Apr 16 11:44:00 2014
    On 04-16-14, Froggyme said the following...

By: Knight to Gryphon on Sun Apr 13 2014 05:14 am

I use to watch Doctor Who on KICU or KQEH in the Bay Area, a PBS affiliate. I don't remember which one off hand. It wasn't as nice as which seemed to have tons of money and new shows. But this PBS-affil was old school.

It came on late at night, and between the ages of 9 and 12 I'd curl the end of my bed and watch it on my little bedroom TV. I'd sysop my while watching it too. Great memories.

Red Dwarf, Monty Python, Dave Allen, Benny Hill... there was quite a lot of stuff actually.

• From Android8675@VERT/SHODAN to Poindexter Fortran on Wed Apr 16 07:22:46 2014

Me and the wife just finised all 5 seasons of Leverage, it's a bunch of theives that do the Robin Hood thing (steal from rich, give to poor), it's pretty good I think. Episodes get a little repetitive, but I think they all stand up pretty well.

---
    þ Synchronet þ Shodan's Core - shodan.synchro.net:23 & :2323
  • From Android8675@VERT/SHODAN to Gryphon on Wed Apr 16 07:25:21 2014

The reboot is OK. I'm less of a fan of it as most people seem to
    like it.I found the quirkiness of the original series to be more
    captivating... there was something about the budget variations, the
    concepts and ideas, and cheasy costumes I really enjoyed.

You are correct, the reboot has a completely different flavor thatn the originals. But I have to confess, I hardely had any ability to watch the show past the 4th Doctor. I am looking forward to watching the complete seasons of the classics.

I can't watch the originals anymore. I wish people would edit the 6 part episodes down to 1 part mini-sodes. I love the original stories, just not the journey to get to the end. (too long)

New episodes are great. I got the day of the doctor for my 3D tv, it looks pretty good.

---
  • From Android8675@VERT/SHODAN to Mro on Wed Apr 16 07:26:59 2014
    By: Mro to Poindexter Fortran on Mon Apr 14 2014 08:41 pm

i tried watching the older doctor who's and just couldnt get into it. seems like it was made for a younger audience.

Even the new series is for younger audiences, that's why it comes on in the early evening in the UK. The more I think about it, it feels like a tween show with all the companion angst that goes on.

Still enjoy it however.

---
  • From Knight@VERT/PHUNC to Froggyme on Wed Apr 16 12:50:17 2014
    By: Froggyme to Gryphon on Tue Apr 15 2014 10:24 pm

I've been out of the area for decades. Is the Sutro Tower still there?

Yes, looming ominously above the Bay.

I know KCSM San Mateo produced the Computer Chronicles. Was their TV statio PBS affiliate too?

KCSM was owned by the College of San Mateo (community college), but I THINK they did link up to PBS.

Knight

---
  • From Knight@VERT/PHUNC to Gryphon on Wed Apr 16 14:52:40 2014
    By: Gryphon to Froggyme on Wed Apr 16 2014 12:44 pm

Red Dwarf, Monty Python, Dave Allen, Benny Hill... there was quite a lot of stuff actually.

Those were all good shows. I loved each of them (except, not familiar with Dave Allen).

I don't think KTEH or KCSM aired Red Dwarf. I didn't see that until the Internet days. I just showed my wife and son Red Dwarf the other day.

Knight

---
  • From Mro@VERT/BBSESINF to Android8675 on Wed Apr 16 16:28:59 2014
    By: Android8675 to Mro on Wed Apr 16 2014 08:26 am

Even the new series is for younger audiences, that's why it comes on in the early evening in the UK. The more I think about it, it feels like a tween show with all the companion angst that goes on.

Still enjoy it however.

i think the sara jane adventures were for kids, then dr who was pg / pg13 and torchwood was more adult. still pissed about what they did with the Us version of torchwood. they really crapped it up.

---
    þ Synchronet þ ::: BBSES.info - free BBS services :::
  • From Poindexter Fortran@VERT/REALITY to Knight on Thu Apr 17 01:00:26 2014
    By: Knight to Gryphon on Wed Apr 16 2014 03:52 pm

I don't think KTEH or KCSM aired Red Dwarf. I didn't see that until the Internet days. I just showed my wife and son Red Dwarf the other day.

KTEH did, I vaguely remember watching a couple of them.

---
  • From Gryphon@VERT/CYBERIA to Android8675 on Fri Apr 18 11:12:00 2014
    On 04-16-14, Android8675 said the following...

Anyone have any Netflix recommendations? I've been binge-watching ol

Me and the wife just finised all 5 seasons of Leverage, it's a bunch of theives that do the Robin Hood thing (steal from rich, give to poor),
    it's pretty good I think. Episodes get a little repetitive, but I think they all stand up pretty well.

I've never wateched it, but it makes me think of the old Mission Impossible show.

• From Gryphon@VERT/CYBERIA to Knight on Fri Apr 18 11:15:00 2014
    On 04-16-14, Knight said the following...

By: Gryphon to Froggyme on Wed Apr 16 2014 12:44 pm

Oh man, that sounds so nice right now. Would they also show Red

Red Dwarf, Monty Python, Dave Allen, Benny Hill... there was quite a l stuff actually.

Those were all good shows. I loved each of them (except, not familiar
    with Dave Allen).

Dave Allen was a commedian and sketch artist. His show was something almost like how Key and Peele do their show not. Sit and talk to the audience to introduce the next skit, etc.

Very funny show. How did they like it?

* Origin: Cyberia BBS | Cyberia.Darktech.Org |
  • From Deuce@VERT/SYNCNIX to Poindexter Fortran on Mon Apr 21 13:50:40 2014

series on my lunch breaks - finished the West Wing, The Guild, Firefly, and for kicks went back to watch season 1 of Voyager. Not as bad as I'd remembered, but I still hated Kes and Neelix.

Red Dwarf and IT Crowd.

---
    http://DuckDuckGo.com/ a better search engine that respects your privacy.
    þ Synchronet þ My Brand-New BBS (All the cool SysOps run STOCK!)
  • From Knight@VERT/PHUNC to Poindexter Fortran on Tue Apr 22 02:03:51 2014
    By: Poindexter Fortran to Knight on Thu Apr 17 2014 02:00 am

KTEH did, I vaguely remember watching a couple of them.

Oh sweet. It's too bad I missed it then :(
    Knight

---
  • From Knight@VERT/PHUNC to Gryphon on Tue Apr 22 02:06:13 2014
    By: Gryphon to Knight on Fri Apr 18 2014 12:15 pm

Dave Allen was a commedian and sketch artist. His show was something almost like how Key and Peele do their show not. Sit and talk to the audience to introduce the next skit, etc.

Excellent, I'll have to hunt it down.

Very funny show. How did they like it?

It took a little nudging to keep their attention, but they seemed entertained by it. The sci-fi opening scared my wife at first, but once she realized it wasn't Star Trek she was amused.
    Knight

---
  • From Froggyme@VERT/LILLYPAD to Deuce on Mon Apr 21 22:46:30 2014
    By: Deuce to Poindexter Fortran on Mon Apr 21 2014 02:50 pm

Red Dwarf and IT Crowd.

I saw the ZX80 on the set in S1E1 of the IT Crowd before Moss even mentioned it! So, unlike Jen, I did notice, haha.

---
  • From Poindexter Fortran@VERT/REALITY to Froggyme on Tue Apr 22 12:58:31 2014
    By: Froggyme to Deuce on Mon Apr 21 2014 11:46 pm

I saw the ZX80 on the set in S1E1 of the IT Crowd before Moss even mentioned it! So, unlike Jen, I did notice, haha.

They've done a great job dressing the set, and subtly adding to it each season.

Do a flickr search for IT Crowd and you'd find some great picture one of the crew took.

---
  • From Poindexter Fortran@VERT/REALITY to Gryphon on Fri Apr 18 14:29:00 2014
    Gryphon wrote to Android8675 <=-

I've never wateched it, but it makes me think of the old Mission Impossible show.

Mission Impossible was on Netflix a few years back, don't know if it
    rotated off. Loved it.

... TWENTY PERCENT OF DENTISTS RECOMMEND GUM
    --- MultiMail/Win32 v0.50