• Episode 13: Special guest echicken, Synchronet web dev, and Mr. Robot

From Digital Man@VERT to TechDorks on Tue Dec 8 03:16:00 2015
    In lucky episode 13, we break the traditional duo with a special guest:
    Derek Mullin, a.k.a. echicken, of the ecWeb's, various Sync-JS door games, Canadian Ham (it's also a meat), and super-Synchronet-support giver. http://mp3.techdorks.net/episodes/techdorks-2015-12-08-ep13.mp3

digital man

Synchronet "Real Fact" #46:
    The Synchronet Museum is online at http://wiki.synchro.net/history:museum: Norco, CA WX: 67.5øF, 20.0% humidity, 4 mph NW wind, 0.00 inches rain/24hrs

---
    þ Synchronet þ Vertrauen þ Home of Synchronet þ telnet://vert.synchro.net
  • From Poindexter Fortran@VERT/REALITY to Digital Man on Tue Dec 8 15:00:29 2015
    Re: Episode 13: Special guest echicken, Synchronet web dev, and Mr. Robot
    By: Digital Man to TechDorks on Tue Dec 08 2015 03:16 am

In lucky episode 13, we break the traditional duo with a special guest: Derek Mullin, a.k.a. echicken, of the ecWeb's, various Sync-JS door games, Canadian Ham (it's also a meat), and super-Synchronet-support giver.

I was wondering when you'd start bringing guests into the podcast. The Nerdist seems to handle 2 co-hosts and a guest pretty well.

---
    þ Synchronet þ realitycheckBBS -- http://realitycheckBBS.org
  • From Mro@VERT/BBSESINF to Poindexter Fortran on Wed Dec 9 00:48:29 2015
    By: Poindexter Fortran to Digital Man on Tue Dec 08 2015 03:00 pm

I was wondering when you'd start bringing guests into the podcast. The Nerdist seems to handle 2 co-hosts and a guest pretty well.

i wish carrier whistle would come back. i had that guy pop in a few times on irc but didnt get a chance to talk to him.
    he had a few good podcasts. nice voice and never boring.

---
    þ Synchronet þ ::: BBSES.info - free BBS services :::
  • From echicken@VERT/ECBBS to Digital Man on Wed Dec 9 02:21:52 2015
    By: Digital Man to TechDorks on Tue Dec 08 2015 03:16:00

I got a start on the BBS list page as discussed:

http://bbs.electronicchicken.com/?page=005_sbbslist.xjs

I comitted a few changes to exec/sbbslist.js as well, to deal with a few errors that cropped up when I ran it the first few times.

Thanks again for inviting me on - it was fun even though I was sleep-deprived and loopy. I should really get a decent microphone. :|

---
    echicken
    electronic chicken bbs - bbs.electronicchicken.com - 416-273-7230
    þ Synchronet þ electronic chicken bbs - bbs.electronicchicken.com
  • From Digital Man@VERT to Poindexter Fortran on Tue Dec 8 23:25:22 2015
    By: Poindexter Fortran to Digital Man on Tue Dec 08 2015 03:00 pm

In lucky episode 13, we break the traditional duo with a special guest: Derek Mullin, a.k.a. echicken, of the ecWeb's, various Sync-JS door games, Canadian Ham (it's also a meat), and super-Synchronet-support giver.

It was fun and I think it turned out good. I'll have to give The Nerdist a listen too.

digital man

Synchronet "Real Fact" #75:
    Michael Swindell still has the "Synchronet Blimp" in his possession.
    Norco, CA WX: 65.4øF, 38.0% humidity, 1 mph WSW wind, 0.00 inches rain/24hrs

---
  • From Digital Man@VERT to echicken on Tue Dec 8 23:36:20 2015
    By: echicken to Digital Man on Wed Dec 09 2015 02:21 am

By: Digital Man to TechDorks on Tue Dec 08 2015 03:16:00

I got a start on the BBS list page as discussed:

http://bbs.electronicchicken.com/?page=005_sbbslist.xjs

That was quick! Looks like you ran the verify step too! Normally, those will be run from Vertrauen the results (including login screen capture) will be distributed via the SYNCDATA echo, but it's good to have something to test with. You're encouraged to help beautify load/sbbslist_html.js too, but the generated sbbslist.html is a stand-alone page (not integrated with any web framework) intentionally.

I comitted a few changes to exec/sbbslist.js as well, to deal with a few errors that cropped up when I ran it the first few times.

Cool, much appreciated. It'll help motivate me to finish it finally too and "go live".

Thanks again for inviting me on - it was fun even though I was sleep-deprived and loopy. I should really get a decent microphone. :|

Your audio quality wasn't too bad considering the distance and all, but I had to stretch out your audio to sync-up with ours and the result wasn't perfect. And you can tell when Deuce or I couldn't really hear and just kept talking right over you. Sorry about that. :-)

digital man

Synchronet "Real Fact" #46:
    The Synchronet Museum is online at http://wiki.synchro.net/history:museum: Norco, CA WX: 65.4øF, 38.0% humidity, 1 mph WSW wind, 0.00 inches rain/24hrs

---
  • From echicken@VERT/ECBBS to Digital Man on Wed Dec 9 12:50:27 2015
    By: Digital Man to echicken on Tue Dec 08 2015 23:36:20

That was quick! Looks like you ran the verify step too! Normally, those will be run from Vertrauen the results (including login screen capture) will be distributed via the SYNCDATA echo, but it's good to have something

Yes - I noticed that the preview for each BBS wasn't populated after I imported the list from SYNCDATA, so I ran the verify step locally so that I'd have some "images" to work with.

to test with. You're encouraged to help beautify load/sbbslist_html.js too, but the generated sbbslist.html is a stand-alone page (not integrated with any web framework) intentionally.

I actually think it looks okay, though it's a bit slow to load. It's clean and simple, which is good - and would look fine if iframed into another page. I could make a few cosmetic changes, but that would just be to make it suit my preferences and not because it's bad in its current state.

I'm not sure if spammers harvesting addresses from mailto links is still / ever was much of a problem, but it might be good to omit the sysop email addresses from the list, or obscure them. There are a number of ways to do this with client-side JS, which would stop simple scrapers. (Maybe base64 encode the address when producing the page, then decode it on hover / click.)

---
    echicken
  • From Digital Man@VERT to echicken on Wed Dec 9 14:50:18 2015
    By: echicken to Digital Man on Wed Dec 09 2015 12:50 pm

That was quick! Looks like you ran the verify step too! Normally, those will be run from Vertrauen the results (including login screen capture) will be distributed via the SYNCDATA echo, but it's good to have something

Yes - I noticed that the preview for each BBS wasn't populated after I imported the list from SYNCDATA, so I ran the verify step locally so that I'd have some "images" to work with.

Cool. Glad you figured that out. I didn't remember if I had added any command-line syntax help output, but you are skilled in the ways of the source, so that's good.

to test with. You're encouraged to help beautify load/sbbslist_html.js too, but the generated sbbslist.html is a stand-alone page (not integrated with any web framework) intentionally.

I actually think it looks okay, though it's a bit slow to load. It's clean and simple, which is good - and would look fine if iframed into another page. I could make a few cosmetic changes, but that would just be to make it suit my preferences and not because it's bad in its current state.

My brother asked me why I didn't use images rather than HTML-ified ANSI/CP437 test and my answer was because the text scales really well and it's searchable and indexed/scraped well by archiving engines. Images would probably be a lot smaller and load faster though.

I'm not sure if spammers harvesting addresses from mailto links is still / ever was much of a problem, but it might be good to omit the sysop email addresses from the list, or obscure them. There are a number of ways to do this with client-side JS, which would stop simple scrapers. (Maybe base64 encode the address when producing the page, then decode it on hover / click.)

I think there are still email address harvesters. I think I still some spambait addresses hidden on someone web-sites and they get new spam often. So yeah, obscuring that would be good. I've heard the harvesting programs have JS engines now too, but I don't know if that's a fact. Any help and feedback is appreciated.

digital man

Synchronet "Real Fact" #25:
    The Synchronet Web Server was written predominantly by Stephen Hurd (Deuce). Norco, CA WX: 74.4øF, 30.0% humidity, 3 mph SE wind, 0.00 inches rain/24hrs

---
  • From echicken@VERT/ECBBS to Digital Man on Wed Dec 9 18:18:07 2015
    I think there are still email address harvesters. I think I still some spambait addresses hidden on someone web-sites and they get new spam often. So yeah, obscuring that would be good. I've heard the harvesting programs have JS engines now too, but I don't know if that's a fact. Any help and feedback is appreciated.

I've wondered about that myself. Some approaches I've seen use client-side JS to populate 'mailto' links after the page has loaded, others wait for a mouse event before de-obfuscating a particular link. If the harvester were to simulate 'hover' or 'mouseover', it could easily do that to every 'a' tag on the page just to see what happens to its 'href' value.

I guess my next question would be: is it really useful to include the sysop's email address on that list? If somebody wants to contact the sysop, they've already been given the details of the board; they can connect and go from there.

---
    echicken

---
  • From Digital Man@VERT to echicken on Wed Dec 9 21:19:50 2015
    By: echicken to Digital Man on Wed Dec 09 2015 06:18 pm

I guess my next question would be: is it really useful to include the sysop's email address on that list? If somebody wants to contact the sysop, they've already been given the details of the board; they can connect and go from there.

True. It's probably not needed. So long as the BBS is operational, users should be able to contact the sysop through the BBS.

digital man

Synchronet "Real Fact" #18:
    The first Synchronet BBS (Vertrauen) went live in July of 1991 (replacing WWIV).
    Norco, CA WX: 62.2øF, 65.0% humidity, 0 mph WNW wind, 0.00 inches rain/24hrs

---
  • From echicken@VERT/ECBBS to Digital Man on Thu Dec 10 00:38:54 2015
    Oh - and I stand corrected: as of a few minutes ago, angry Peter's bbs.daprose.net is still accepting telnet connections.

I think I might go sign me up for an account.

---
    echicken
  • From Digital Man@VERT to echicken on Wed Dec 9 23:10:51 2015
    By: echicken to Digital Man on Thu Dec 10 2015 12:38 am

Oh - and I stand corrected: as of a few minutes ago, angry Peter's bbs.daprose.net is still accepting telnet connections.

chuckles...

I think I might go sign me up for an account.

Ask him where his NetMail is. :-)

digital man

Synchronet "Real Fact" #31:
    The second most prolific contributor to Synchronet is Stephen Hurd (Deuce). Norco, CA WX: 60.9øF, 60.0% humidity, 1 mph SSE wind, 0.00 inches rain/24hrs

---
  • From Kirkman@VERT/GUARDIAN to Digital Man on Tue Dec 15 14:22:05 2015

It's been a trip actually hearing you guys talk on the podcast. Deuce's
    accent, in particular. Great to hear from echicken.

--Josh

////--------------------------------------------------
    BiC -=- http://breakintochat.com -=- bbs wiki and blog

---
    þ Synchronet
  • From Deuce@VERT/SYNCNIX to Kirkman on Tue Dec 15 14:34:56 2015
    By: Kirkman to Digital Man on Tue Dec 15 2015 02:22 pm

It's been a trip actually hearing you guys talk on the podcast. Deuce's accent, in particular.

So you think I have an accent eh?

---
    http://DuckDuckGo.com/ a better search engine that respects your privacy.
    Mro is an idiot. Please ignore him, we keep hoping he'll go away.
    þ Synchronet þ My Brand-New BBS (All the cool SysOps run STOCK!)
  • From Digital Man@VERT to Kirkman on Tue Dec 15 22:25:00 2015
    By: Kirkman to Digital Man on Tue Dec 15 2015 02:22 pm

It's been a trip actually hearing you guys talk on the podcast. Deuce's accent, in particular. Great to hear from echicken.

Deuce has an accent? I never noticed. <shrug> :-)

digital man

Synchronet "Real Fact" #49:
    JAM and Squish were considered before developing Synchronet Message Base format.
    Norco, CA WX: 49.9øF, 27.0% humidity, 14 mph SSW wind, 0.00 inches rain/24hrs

---
  • From OUTWEST@VERT to TechDorks on Sun Apr 24 16:59:49 2016
    "Deuce has an accent"

Denn>> I don't know what you're talkink aboot eh.

---