• Happy Birthday Tron!

From Android8675@VERT/EWBBS to Vectorgamer on Thu Dec 8 23:10:58 2016
    Re: Happy Birthday Tron!
    By: Vectorgamer to Android8675 on Tue Jul 14 2015 03:11 pm

The first time I saw Tron was at a friends house for a sleepover. They rente one of those movie disk machines where the movie was stored on a vinyl recor and you had to flip it over halfway through the movie. What was that format called?

Laserdisc, they were basically large CDs that held Video and Audio. This was before MPEG2 compression came about. Back then it was superior to VHS/Betamax, but expensive. Never got out of the nich/hobbyist market I think. People still collect them today, unfortunatly no one makes the players anymore.

---
    þ Synchronet þ Electronic Warfare BBS | telnet://bbs.ewbbs.net
  • From Ennev@VERT/MTLGEEK to Android8675 on Mon Dec 19 17:47:18 2016
    Re: Happy Birthday Tron!
    By: Vectorgamer to Android8675 on Tue Jul 14 2015 03:11 pm

The first time I saw Tron was at a friends house for a sleepover.
    They
    rente one of those movie disk machines where the movie was stored on
    a
    vinyl recor and you had to flip it over halfway through the movie.
    What
    was that format called?

Laserdisc, they were basically large CDs that held Video and Audio. This
    was before MPEG2 compression came about. Back then it was superior to VHS/Betamax, but expensive. Never got out of the nich/hobbyist market I think. People still collect them today, unfortunatly no one makes the players anymore.

I think it might have been RCA's videodisc I remember seeing them when I
    was a kid in the late 70's, they where actually Capacitance Electronic Disk
    and yes It was using a needle.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capacitance_Electronic_Disc

Laserdisk came after and even then it wasn't really digital, it was an ntsc or pal signal that was digitally recorded on the disk, no digital compression whatsoever, had to wait for video-cd and dvd for that.

---
    þ Synchronet þ MtlGeek - Geeks in Montreal - http://mtlgeek.com/ -
  • From Android8675@VERT/SHODAN to Ennev on Wed Jan 4 08:18:09 2017
    Re: Re: Happy Birthday Tron!
    By: Ennev to Android8675 on Mon Dec 19 2016 09:47 am

I think it might have been RCA's videodisc I remember seeing them when I was a kid in the late 70's, they where actually Capacitance Electronic Disk and yes It was using a needle.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capacitance_Electronic_Disc

Wow, I remember those things, looked like big 3.5" disks (more like 12", but hard plastic casing, never saw one working).

Laserdisk came after and even then it wasn't really digital, it was an ntsc or pal signal that was digitally recorded on the disk, no digital compression whatsoever, had to wait for video-cd and dvd for that.

CLV (Constant Linear Velocity) Discs had some kind of compression, though not really. I know that they could hold more per disk (I think because the disc speed varied depending on laser positioning, so more oculd be stored on the disc, but some quality was lost).

CAV (Angular) had less storage, but looked nicer.

I had a CAV copy of Blade Runner somewhere. Haven't seen it in years. 5 or 6 discs, double sided (Yeah, that's 9-11 disc changes to watch that movie).

-A.

---
    þ Synchronet þ Shodan's Core @ ShodansCore.com (Port 2323 for Nethack)