• Young Wallander - Netflix

From Bob Roberts@VERT/HOVAL to All on Sun Oct 18 21:08:13 2020
    Young Wallander on Netflix is a Swedish production with all English dialog, performed by (mostly) Swedish/European actors. The story is based on a series of Swedish mystery novels staring the character of Kurt Wallander.

The series consists of 6 1-hour episodes. It follows the familiar "something dramatic and deadly happens in the first episode, then the rest of the series is a who-done-it with an oh-my-god-I-can't-believe-it conclusion. unfortunately the pacing in the middle episodes is quite slow, and I never really got into the characters. While I typically do enjoy Detective dramas, this one is a poor substitute for the truly outstanding in the genre such as "The Killing (Netflix)" and "The Missing (STARZ)". (Both of which I highly recommend). The dynamic between Wallander and his senior detective partner, and Wallander and his witness-turned-Girlfriend never seemed to fully develop, and because of that the conclusion left me feeling... unfulfilled.

The most interesting aspect, for me at least, was the way they turned the Swedish "slums" and industrial areas into the backdrop of the series. The cinematography and lighting was nice, production was top-notch, and there was a good showcasing of the different aspects of Swedish society, from the very wealthy to the migrant class.

|08~|05B|03ob|08:|06R|03ob|08~

... Think like a man of action, act like a man of thought.

---
    þ Synchronet þ Halls of Valhalla <> San Francisco <> hovalbbs.com
  • From poindexter FORTRAN@VERT/REALITY to Bob Roberts on Mon Oct 19 16:09:00 2020
    Bob Roberts wrote to All <=-

The most interesting aspect, for me at least, was the way they turned
    the Swedish "slums" and industrial areas into the backdrop of the
    series. The cinematography and lighting was nice, production was top-notch, and there was a good showcasing of the different aspects of Swedish society, from the very wealthy to the migrant class.

Swedish murder mysteries usually involve beautiful, austere imagery.
    The Swedish version of Wallander, the English remake with Kenneth
    Branagh as Wallander, and a handful of other shows all share the
    same aesthetic.

... Start where you are. Use what you have. Do what you can.
    --- MultiMail/XT v0.52
    þ Synchronet þ realitycheckBBS -- http://realitycheckBBS.org