• Twilight Zone, Anyone?

From Kurisu@VERT/FINALZON to All on Mon Dec 7 03:43:28 2020
    So, I've finally taken the time to watch The Twilight Zone, and I've gotta say I'm quite loving it. Right now I'm on Season 2, Episode 20 "Static" which, for those familiar with the series, is one of those episodes that was recorded on video rather than filmed.

I can't quite say what it is that I like most about the show - I think it's just how strange things are and how there is no real reason for it beyond the nature of the "Twilight Zone" in an of itself. It doesn't try to explain itself, it lets you figure it out and even when the twist is predictable it's still satisfying to see it be realized.

I don't know, I figured some here might be into the show and may wish to discuss it. :)
    _____
    Kurisu Yamato
    www.xadara.com

---
    þ Synchronet þ Final Zone BBS - finalzone.ddns.net - www.xadara.com
  • From Nightfox@VERT/DIGDIST to Kurisu on Mon Dec 7 16:33:47 2020
    Re: Twilight Zone, Anyone?
    By: Kurisu to All on Sun Dec 06 2020 07:43 pm

So, I've finally taken the time to watch The Twilight Zone, and I've gotta say I'm quite loving it. Right now I'm on Season 2, Episode 20 "Static"

It's been a while since I've watched it, but I've seen The Twilight Zone a long time ago and I enjoyed it. I used to also watch The Outer Limits (90s version), which I think was supposed to be somewhat similar to The Twilight Zone.

which, for those familiar with the series, is one of those episodes that was recorded on video rather than filmed.

This may be a stupid question, but what does "recorded on video" mean? Does that refer to being recorded on VHS (or similar) tape?

Nightfox

---
    þ Synchronet þ Digital Distortion: digitaldistortionbbs.com
  • From Arelor@VERT/PALANT to Kurisu on Mon Dec 7 17:14:12 2020
    By: Kurisu to All on Sun Dec 06 2020 07:43 pm

So, I've finally taken the time to watch The Twilight Zone, and I've gotta s I'm quite loving it. Right now I'm on Season 2, Episode 20 "Static" which, f those familiar with the series, is one of those episodes that was recorded o video rather than filmed.

I can't quite say what it is that I like most about the show - I think it's just how strange things are and how there is no real reason for it beyond th nature of the "Twilight Zone" in an of itself. It doesn't try to explain itself, it lets you figure it out and even when the twist is predictable it' still satisfying to see it be realized.

I don't know, I figured some here might be into the show and may wish to discuss it. :)
    _____
    Kurisu Yamato
    www.xadara.com

I am not familiar with that one. I mean, I have heard about the show, but never watched it.

As far as I understand, it is similar to The Veil, which starred Boris Karlof. --
    gopher://gopher.richardfalken.com/1/richardfalken

---
    þ Synchronet þ Palantir BBS * palantirbbs.ddns.net * Pensacola, FL
  • From Dumas Walker@VERT/CAPCITY2 to KURISU on Mon Dec 7 19:48:00 2020
    So, I've finally taken the time to watch The Twilight Zone, and I've gotta say >'m quite loving it. Right now I'm on Season 2, Episode 20 "Static" which, for t
    ose familiar with the series, is one of those episodes that was recorded on vid
    o rather than filmed.

I can't quite say what it is that I like most about the show - I think it's jus
    how strange things are and how there is no real reason for it beyond the nature
    of the "Twilight Zone" in an of itself. It doesn't try to explain itself, it le
    ts you figure it out and even when the twist is predictable it's still satisfyi
    g to see it be realized.

I don't know, I figured some here might be into the show and may wish to discus
    it. :)

I very much enjoy the original series. The '80's resurection was ok but
    not quite the same without Serling. That episode, "Static," contains one
    of my favorite lines from the series. When the old man first turns the
    radio on, the kid that helped him starts dancing around to the rock-n-roll music. The old man shoves some money into his hand and tells him to "go
    buy youself a switchblade!" I love it. :)

I think what I like about it is the late '50's feel and the twists that
    some stories can take. Yes, you do see some of them coming but you don't
    know exactly how they get there. Most of my least-favorite episodes are
    still better than the best episodes of other series.

A few other, similar shows I like are "The Night Gallery" (another Serling series), the original "The Outer Limits," and "One Step Beyond." IMHO, the original Twilight Zone is the best of them.

* SLMR 2.1a * A penny saved is a Congressional oversight.

---
    þ Synchronet þ CAPCITY2 * capcity2.synchro.net * Telnet/SSH:2022/Rlogin/HTTP
  • From Bob Roberts@VERT/HOVAL to Nightfox on Mon Dec 7 21:01:13 2020
    By: Nightfox to Kurisu on Mon Dec 07 2020 08:33 am

This may be a stupid question, but what does "recorded on video" mean? Does that refer to being recorded on VHS (or similar) tape?

Video tape is recorded magnetically, like a TV camera or old school camcorder. Video is typically at 30 frames per second so it has a more fluid image. Back when the original Twlight Zone was on most TV shows were recorded with film cameras, like a movie, exposing negative to light. Film is 24 FPS, so it has more flicker.

|01bobbobbobbob|09bob|03bob|11bob|03bob|09bob|01bobbobbob |01robrobrobrob|09rob|03rob|11rob|03rob|09rob|01robrobrob

---
    þ Synchronet þ Halls of Valhalla =San=Francisco= Happy Holidays
  • From Kurisu@VERT/FINALZON to Nightfox on Mon Dec 7 23:00:37 2020

It's been a while since I've watched it, but I've seen The Twilight Zone a long time ago and I enjoyed it. I used to also watch The Outer Limits (90s version), which I think was supposed to be somewhat similar to The Twilight Zone.

Outer Limits is on my agenda down the line, for sure. Heard it's a good show in its own right.

In a basic comparison, yes.

They were recorded on open reel video, as opposed to actual film -- if you've ever seen early 1960's video (early Doctor Who is a fine example) then you know the "look" of it. It was cheaper, but was very limited in those days, especially with regards to editing, thus limiting what they could reasonably shoot in any given episode.

Only 6 of them were done that way before they stuck with film, declaring the experament dead.
    _____
    Kurisu Yamato
    www.xadara.com

---
  • From Kurisu@VERT/FINALZON to Dumas Walker on Mon Dec 7 23:02:59 2020
    By: Dumas Walker to KURISU on Mon Dec 07 2020 11:48 am

I very much enjoy the original series. The '80's resurection was ok but
    not quite the same without Serling. That episode, "Static," contains one
    of my favorite lines from the series. When the old man first turns the radio on, the kid that helped him starts dancing around to the rock-n-roll music. The old man shoves some money into his hand and tells him to "go
    buy youself a switchblade!" I love it. :)

Just watched that one last night and got a very good laugh out of that part! _____
    Kurisu Yamato
    www.xadara.com

---
  • From MRO@VERT/BBSESINF to Nightfox on Tue Dec 8 00:55:20 2020

there's a new twilight zone with jordan peele

---
    þ Synchronet þ ::: BBSES.info - free BBS services :::
  • From Weatherman@VERT/TLCBBS to Kurisu on Tue Dec 8 00:05:00 2020
    Kurisu wrote to All <=-

So, I've finally taken the time to watch The Twilight Zone, and I've
    gotta say I'm quite loving it. Right now I'm on Season 2, Episode 20 "Static" which, for those familiar with the series, is one of those episodes that was recorded on video rather than filmed.

I can't quite say what it is that I like most about the show - I think it's just how strange things are and how there is no real reason for it beyond the nature of the "Twilight Zone" in an of itself. It doesn't
    try to explain itself, it lets you figure it out and even when the
    twist is predictable it's still satisfying to see it be realized.

I don't know, I figured some here might be into the show and may wish
    to discuss it. :) _____

I've been a fan of the series ever since I was old enough to appreciate the stories. That takes me into the late 60's. Rod Serling was kind of a hometown product for us in the Southern Tier of New York. While he was actually from a littel further north (Syracuse) he was "close enough for guv-ment work" as far as we were concerned.

... Computer Hacker wanted. Must have own axe.
    --- MultiMail/Linux v0.49
    þ Synchronet þ The Lost Chord BBS - Cheyenne, WY
  • From Nightfox@VERT/DIGDIST to Bob Roberts on Tue Dec 8 00:48:21 2020
    By: Bob Roberts to Nightfox on Mon Dec 07 2020 01:01 pm

This may be a stupid question, but what does "recorded on video"
    mean? Does that refer to being recorded on VHS (or similar) tape?

Video tape is recorded magnetically, like a TV camera or old school camcorder. Video is typically at 30 frames per second so it has a more fluid image. Back when the original Twlight Zone was on most TV shows were recorded with film cameras, like a movie, exposing negative to light. Film is 24 FPS, so it has more flicker.

I'm aware of what video tape is.. I was just wondering if "recorded on video" referred to video tape.

Nightfox

---
  • From Nightfox@VERT/DIGDIST to Kurisu on Tue Dec 8 00:49:18 2020
    By: Kurisu to Nightfox on Mon Dec 07 2020 03:00 pm

Outer Limits is on my agenda down the line, for sure. Heard it's a good show in its own right.

The Outer Limits often left me feeling weird after watching it.

Nightfox

---
  • From Ogg@VERT/EOTLBBS to All on Tue Dec 8 02:39:00 2020
    Hello Dumas!

** On Monday 07.12.20 - 11:48, dumas.walker wrote to KURISU:

A few other, similar shows I like are "The Night Gallery"
    (another Serling series), the original "The Outer Limits,"
    and "One Step Beyond." IMHO, the original Twilight Zone is
    the best of them.

The Night Gallery had some very dark and creepy stories - but
    I didn't get a chance to see all of them. Might be time to
    see if I can find it and watch a few of them again.

For those of you who enjoy the Twilight Zone and the other
    shows mentioned here, you might enjoy the Black Mirror series.
    The episodes focus on technology and explore the unintended
    consequences of that technology. I only got through the first
    few - the last one I saw was about a technology that resembled
    Google Glass. That was already getting too dark and dystopian
    for me - so I steered to other types of shows by then.

--
    ../|ug

---
    þ Synchronet þ End Of The Line BBS - endofthelinebbs.com
  • From Kurisu@VERT/FINALZON to Weatherman on Tue Dec 8 02:49:47 2020
    By: Weatherman to Kurisu on Mon Dec 07 2020 04:05 pm

I've been a fan of the series ever since I was old enough to appreciate the stories. That takes me into the late 60's. Rod Serling was kind of a hometown product for us in the Southern Tier of New York. While he was actually from a littel further north (Syracuse) he was "close enough for guv-ment work" as far as we were concerned.

The man certainly had a charisma about him. Of course, the same could be said of many from that era. Things like this make me feel like I was born way too late, but at the same rate that's silly -- I can enjoy them now just as much, if not more, than I ever could were I growing up back in 59-64, but the experience of it all being contemporary, that is what is lost.

Ah well, I can enjoy it now, finally. That's the main thing. I ask myself, had I been born in, let's say, 55 instead of 85, what kind of things would I have enjoyed? Twilight Zone likely would have been one of them, for sure.
    _____
    Kurisu Yamato
    www.xadara.com

---
  • From Kurisu@VERT/FINALZON to Nightfox on Tue Dec 8 05:33:58 2020
    By: Nightfox to Kurisu on Mon Dec 07 2020 04:49 pm

Sometimes I like that feeling. I'm not one for abject horror or jump scares, but something that's the right kind of creepy, be it fiction or reality, really appeals to me. At least, that's if I'm reading the right "weird" from your description.

At least I know to expect something different. :)
    _____
    Kurisu Yamato
    www.xadara.com

---
  • From MRO@VERT/BBSESINF to Ogg on Tue Dec 8 07:03:07 2020
    Re: Re: Twilight Zone, Anyone?
    By: Ogg to All on Mon Dec 07 2020 06:39 pm

check out ray bradbury theater if you havent yet.
    one of my favorites is the town where nobody got off.
    it has jeff goldblum when he was 34.

---
  • From Nightfox@VERT/DIGDIST to Kurisu on Tue Dec 8 16:44:37 2020
    By: Kurisu to Nightfox on Mon Dec 07 2020 09:33 pm

Sometimes I like that feeling. I'm not one for abject horror or jump scares, but something that's the right kind of creepy, be it fiction or reality, really appeals to me. At least, that's if I'm reading the right "weird" from your description.

Yeah, The Outer Limits can have a creepy weird feeling. :)

Nightfox

---
  • From Nightfox@VERT/DIGDIST to MRO on Tue Dec 8 16:46:41 2020
    By: MRO to Ogg on Mon Dec 07 2020 11:03 pm

I liked that show. I used to watch it sometimes a long time ago. I remember one with a time travel service, and a few people went back in time when dinosaurs were still around, and someone stepped on a bug or something and it made small changes when they went back to the 'current' time. Basically a butterfly effect episode.

Nightfox

---
  • From Dumas Walker@VERT/CAPCITY2 to NIGHTFOX on Tue Dec 8 21:19:00 2020

The '90's version often left me feeling that way also.

* SLMR 2.1a * Are you a Klingon, or is that a turtle on your head?

---
  • From Bob Roberts@VERT/HOVAL to Ogg on Tue Dec 8 18:00:17 2020
    By: Ogg to All on Mon Dec 07 2020 06:39 pm

For those of you who enjoy the Twilight Zone and the other
    shows mentioned here, you might enjoy the Black Mirror series.

Black Mirror is great. My favorite is Series 4, Episode 1 "USS Callister." It will change your life!

|01bobbobbobbob|09bob|03bob|11bob|03bob|09bob|01bobbobbob |01robrobrobrob|09rob|03rob|11rob|03rob|09rob|01robrobrob

---
  • From Pferor@VERT/BGGRSCYN to Dumas Walker on Tue Dec 8 19:04:27 2020
    By: Dumas Walker to KURISU on Mon Dec 07 2020 11:48 am

It's probably my favorite show.

I used to watch re-runs of the 60s episodes in the 80s, which where in the afternoon schedule. Then, at night, the 80s "resurrection" of the series.

Even, overall, I like more the 60s version, one of my favorites episodes is from the 80s. The very first episode of the 80s version, starring a young Bruce Willis; I believe it was directed by Wes Craven.

The title is 'Shatterday'. I remember watching that episode a rainy night in 1985 or 1986. I didn't know who Bruce Willis was at the time, but I enjoyed every second trying to figure out what was that. I begun watching without knowing it was 'The Twilight Zone', so I was expecting an "ordinary" show.

The philosophical implications of those episodes were amazing. You can talk for hours about your interpretation, your views, your theories...

We need shows like that, and, for that, we need creativity like in the yesteryear, like before.

Thanks for remind me of the show. I haven't watch it since a lot of years, and now, in this particular situation we are living, 'The Twilight Zone' seems like a real good entertainment.

Thanks.

---
    þ Synchronet þ * Origin: Beggar's Canyon - beggarscyn.com *
  • From Pferor@VERT/BGGRSCYN to Nightfox on Tue Dec 8 19:08:53 2020

Yes, I remember 'The Outer Limits'. It was also a revival of the 60s version, with the same title.

To me, it was like 'The Twilight Zone', but more science-fiction, rather that paranormal stuff.

I believe --but do not quote me on this-- that anoter revival was made last year, in 2019. A friend of mine told me, but I haven't checked it out.

---
  • From Ogg@VERT/EOTLBBS to MRO on Wed Dec 9 02:12:00 2020
    Hello MRO!

** On Tuesday 08.12.20 - 00:03, mro wrote to Ogg:

Based on the intro to one of them it looks like I may have
    seen a few of those (he as a LOT of single switch bulbs to
    turn on! - and his office looks very much like mine does now).
    But I don't remember watching that one regularly. I wonder if
    the series was only available on select cable networks?

Going to give them a try and see if I can remember any of
    them.

--
    ../|ug

---
  • From Ogg@VERT/EOTLBBS to Bob Roberts on Wed Dec 9 06:17:00 2020
    Hello Bob!

** On Tuesday 08.12.20 - 13:00, bob.roberts wrote to Ogg:

For those of you who enjoy the Twilight Zone and the
    other shows mentioned here, you might enjoy the Black
    Mirror series.

Black Mirror is great. My favorite is Series 4, Episode 1
    "USS Callister." It will change your life!

Now that you put it that way, I'll have to check it out.

Unlike other BM episodes, that one supposedly has humour -
    sounds good.

---
  • From Ogg@VERT/EOTLBBS to MRO on Wed Dec 9 06:29:00 2020
    Hello MRO!

** On Tuesday 08.12.20 - 00:03, mro wrote to Ogg:

check out ray bradbury theater if you havent yet. one of my
    favorites is the town where nobody got off. it has jeff
    goldblum when he was 34.

I just watched that one. Just like the credit opening states
    for all the episode, "half suspense, half terror", that one
    was pretty good at building suspense - as that strange man
    kept following Goldblum around. I liked the gradual
    revelation of what was really going on as the old man kept
    talking.

Until I watch a few more eposides, I can't say that one is
    outstanding. I started watching the one with Drew Barrymore -
    but I find her acting to be poor.

BTW, Goldblum was pretty funny in Earth Girls are Easy.

At the end of all this, I still have to wonder what justifies
    such high salaries for actors. All they are doing is playing
    make-belief and having fun.

---
  • From Moondog@VERT/CAVEBBS to Kurisu on Wed Dec 9 04:02:00 2020
    By: Kurisu to Nightfox on Mon Dec 07 2020 09:33 pm

By: Nightfox to Kurisu on Mon Dec 07 2020 04:49 pm

Sometimes I like that feeling. I'm not one for abject horror or jump scares,

_____
    Kurisu Yamato
    www.xadara.com

The original 1960's series was more of a scare fest with at least a scary mons ter involved in the story line every other episode. The visual effects were not as good as Twilight Zone's, but they were there for the shock value.

---
    þ Synchronet þ The Cave BBS - Since 1992 - cavebbs.homeip.net
  • From Vk3jed@VERT/FREEWAY to Kurisu on Thu Dec 10 03:47:00 2020
    On 12-06-20 19:43, Kurisu wrote to All <=-

@VIA: VERT/FINALZON
    So, I've finally taken the time to watch The Twilight Zone, and I've
    gotta say I'm quite loving it. Right now I'm on Season 2, Episode 20 "Static" which, for those familiar with the series, is one of those episodes that was recorded on video rather than filmed.

For me, Twilight Zone was always the original series with the unmistakable music. The stories stand up well today and still make you think.

... If you feel strongly about graffiti, sign a partition.
    --- MultiMail/Win v0.51
    þ Synchronet þ Freeway BBS, Bendigo Australia. freeway.apana.org.au
  • From Vk3jed@VERT/FREEWAY to Dumas Walker on Thu Dec 10 03:58:00 2020
    On 12-07-20 11:48, Dumas Walker wrote to KURISU <=-

I very much enjoy the original series. The '80's resurection was ok
    but not quite the same without Serling. That episode, "Static,"
    contains one of my favorite lines from the series. When the old man
    first turns the radio on, the kid that helped him starts dancing around
    to the rock-n-roll music. The old man shoves some money into his hand
    and tells him to "go buy youself a switchblade!" I love it. :)

I'm the same, loved the original. Only seen a couple of the 80s remake, and they were OK, but the unexpected twists of the original were very clever.

... You could be reading the next message by now.
    --- MultiMail/Win v0.51
  • From Vk3jed@VERT/FREEWAY to Bob Roberts on Thu Dec 10 03:59:00 2020
    On 12-07-20 13:01, Bob Roberts wrote to Nightfox <=-

Video tape is recorded magnetically, like a TV camera or old school camcorder. Video is typically at 30 frames per second so it has a more fluid image. Back when the original Twlight Zone was on most TV shows were recorded with film cameras, like a movie, exposing negative to
    light. Film is 24 FPS, so it has more flicker.

And these days, some frame rate conversion techniques can add a bit of jerkiness to motion.

... The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.
    --- MultiMail/Win v0.51
  • From Vk3jed@VERT/FREEWAY to Kurisu on Thu Dec 10 04:02:00 2020
    On 12-07-20 15:00, Kurisu wrote to Nightfox <=-

That's another excellent show, with similarities to Twilight Zone.

... The tuna doesn't taste the same without the dolphin.
    --- MultiMail/Win v0.51
  • From Ogg@VERT/EOTLBBS to All on Wed Dec 9 16:08:00 2020
    Hello Vk3jed!

** On Wednesday 09.12.20 - 03:47, vk3jed wrote to Kurisu:

For me, Twilight Zone was always the original series with the unmistakable music. The stories stand up well today and still make you think.

Check out the song "Twilight Tone" by the Manhattan Transfer.
    The recording does a nice job of using spacial effects (L, R,
    stereo, etc.)

---
  • From Nightfox@VERT/DIGDIST to Vk3jed on Wed Dec 9 16:42:26 2020
    By: Vk3jed to Bob Roberts on Wed Dec 09 2020 07:59 pm

And these days, some frame rate conversion techniques can add a bit of jerkiness to motion.

With flat-panel digital TVs, I'm glad there is more of a worldwide standard for TV and videos. Though, it seems that videos can still be in different frame rates, depending on the source (one streaming service might have something at 30fps, one at a very similar 29.97fps, and then perhaps a movie at 24fps), and they all seem to display okay on a digital flat-panel TV.

I've played with video encoding software, and such software usually has ways to change the frame rate - I think there are software techniques to do interpolation to add frames if you want to increase the frame rate, though I doubt it's perfect.

Nightfox

---
  • From Dumas Walker@VERT/CAPCITY2 to PFEROR on Wed Dec 9 21:21:00 2020
    It's probably my favorite show.

It is probably my favorite non-comedy show.

I used to watch re-runs of the 60s episodes in the 80s, which where in the aft
    noon schedule. Then, at night, the 80s "resurrection" of the series.

I actually did not get in the habit of watching it until the last 10 years
    or so. For whatever reason, the TV stations in my market did not run
    re-runs of the Twilight Zone, unless they did it late overnight when I was rarely awake. :)

I own the original series box set now.

Even, overall, I like more the 60s version, one of my favorites episodes is fr
    the 80s. The very first episode of the 80s version, starring a young Bruce W
    lis; I believe it was directed by Wes Craven.

The title is 'Shatterday'. I remember watching that episode a rainy night in 85 or 1986. I didn't know who Bruce Willis was at the time, but I enjoyed eve
    second trying to figure out what was that. I begun watching without knowing
    was 'The Twilight Zone', so I was expecting an "ordinary" show.

I have seen several of the 80's episodes, but not that one! Sounds like a
    good one to watch.

The philosophical implications of those episodes were amazing. You can talk f
    hours about your interpretation, your views, your theories...

We need shows like that, and, for that, we need creativity like in the yestery
    r, like before.

Yes, we do. I feel like there are not as many good minds in TV these days
    as there were then, i.e. people like Rod Serling who could craft together a series that makes you think while also being entertaining.

Thanks for remind me of the show. I haven't watch it since a lot of years, an
    now, in this particular situation we are living, 'The Twilight Zone' seems lik
    a real good entertainment.

Well, I was not the original person to bring it up, so we owe that poster
    our thanks. I don't know where you are in the World but, if you can view a
    US network called MeTV, they show about 7 episodes a week, and the US
    cable network SyFy also often shows episodes. I think SyFy has a Twilight
    Zone marathon coming up over the New Year's holiday.

I also believe the episodes are on some of the streaming services.

* SLMR 2.1a * Okay, I pulled the pin. Now what? Where are you going?

---
  • From Dumas Walker@VERT/CAPCITY2 to PFEROR on Wed Dec 9 21:42:00 2020
    I believe --but do not quote me on this-- that anoter revival was made last yea
    , in 2019. A friend of mine told me, but I haven't checked it out.

Of the Twilight Zone, yes. It is carried on the CBS streaming service.

* SLMR 2.1a * Light at end of tunnel temporarily out of order.

---
  • From anthk@VERT to Kurisu on Wed Dec 9 20:06:11 2020
    On 2020-12-07, Kurisu <kurisu@FINALZON> wrote:

So, I've finally taken the time to watch The Twilight Zone, and I've gotta say I'm quite loving it. Right now I'm on Season 2, Episode 20 "Static" which, for those familiar with the series, is one of those episodes that was recorded on video rather than filmed.

I can't quite say what it is that I like most about the show - I think it's just how strange things are and how there is no real reason for it beyond the nature of the "Twilight Zone" in an of itself. It doesn't try to explain itself, it lets you figure it out and even when the twist is predictable it's still satisfying to see it be realized.

_____
    Kurisu Yamato
    www.xadara.com

---

I loved that series, I -ahem- dl'ed them all over bittorrent
    because getting them legally in a phisycal format where I
    live would be very expensive, and well, for sure these
    episodes had its money earnt from the 50's.
    Also, as they told in the thread, I watched The Outer Limits
    remake in early 90's when I was a kid.

---
    þ Synchronet þ Vertrauen þ Home of Synchronet þ [vert/cvs/bbs].synchro.net
  • From MRO@VERT/BBSESINF to Dumas Walker on Thu Dec 10 01:27:23 2020
    By: Dumas Walker to NIGHTFOX on Tue Dec 08 2020 01:19 pm

Outer Limits is on my agenda down the line, for sure. Heard it's a
    good show in its own right.

the one where the ant colony worshiped bo bridges was weird

---
  • From anthk@VERT to Kurisu on Thu Dec 10 01:53:46 2020
    On 2020-12-07, Kurisu <kurisu@FINALZON> wrote:

_____
    Kurisu Yamato
    www.xadara.com

---

Also, get the radio series, too. You can find them easily in Archive.org,
    and Youtube holds all of them in four long parts.

---
  • From poindexter FORTRAN@VERT/REALITY to Nightfox on Wed Dec 9 14:17:00 2020
    Nightfox wrote to MRO <=-

I liked that show. I used to watch it sometimes a long time ago. I remember one with a time travel service, and a few people went back in time when dinosaurs were still around, and someone stepped on a bug or something and it made small changes when they went back to the
    'current' time. Basically a butterfly effect episode.

I'll have to find that - it's on one of the Roku channels, I browsed
    past it a few weeks ago.

... Abandon desire
    --- MultiMail/XT v0.52
    þ Synchronet þ realitycheckBBS -- http://realitycheckBBS.org
  • From Dumas Walker@VERT/CAPCITY2 to MRO on Thu Dec 10 21:27:00 2020

the one where the ant colony worshiped bo bridges was weird

With the '60's episodes, there were some that were a little weird but they
    seem to be so because of the "campy" fake-looking monsters that would show
    up or other things that the tech of the time would not let them express properly on film.

The '90's version was just weird sometimes. Some of them are weird,
    in syndication, because the "adult content" from the original Showtime
    episodes has been removed. I think others are weird just because it was
    on Showtime and they thought they could inject things they couldn't get
    away with on other channels.

The last season was on SciFi, I think, instead of Showtime so the stories
    are a little different (and more intact in syndication).

* SLMR 2.1a * I'm not tense, just terribly A*L*E*R*T.

---
  • From Digital Man@VERT to Ogg on Fri Dec 11 01:03:07 2020
    By: Ogg to All on Wed Dec 09 2020 08:08 am

Hello Vk3jed!

** On Wednesday 09.12.20 - 03:47, vk3jed wrote to Kurisu:

stereo, etc.)

Checkout Rush's "Twilight Zone", if you haven't already: youtube.com/watch?v=fA79lLwRYTY
    --
    digital man

This Is Spinal Tap quote #30:
    Big bottom, big bottom / Talk about mud flaps, my girl's got 'em!
    Norco, CA WX: 55.6øF, 75.0% humidity, 5 mph E wind, 0.00 inches rain/24hrs
    ---
  • From Ogg@VERT/EOTLBBS to Digital Man on Fri Dec 11 06:17:00 2020
    Hello Digital!

** On Thursday 10.12.20 - 20:03, digital.man wrote to Ogg:

stereo, etc.)

Checkout Rush's "Twilight Zone", if you haven't already: youtube.com/watch?v=fA79lLwRYTY --

If it wasn't the for lyric video, the words by Geddy would be
    hard to figure out. But I prefer the song *without* the
    video.

For some other interesting alternatives..

The Golden Earring version rocks quite nicely: https://open.spotify.com/track/6PzkzHvse5Od5l23RC71Pk

The William Shatner version of the above: https://open.spotify.com/track/3wicn2sx37RCyZni2uBlwL

---
  • From Kurisu@VERT/FINALZON to anthk on Fri Dec 11 05:09:28 2020
    By: anthk to Kurisu on Wed Dec 09 2020 05:53 pm

Also, get the radio series, too. You can find them easily in Archive.org, and Youtube holds all of them in four long parts.

Oooh, thanks for the heads up about those! Wasn't aware. I'll give em a listen once I get a chance. :D
    _____
    Kurisu Yamato
    www.xadara.com

---
  • From Pferor@VERT/BGGRSCYN to Dumas Walker on Fri Dec 11 08:21:26 2020
    By: Dumas Walker to PFEROR on Wed Dec 09 2020 01:21 pm

US network called MeTV, they show about 7 episodes a week, and the US
    cable network SyFy also often shows episodes. I think SyFy has a Twilight Zone marathon coming up over the New Year's holiday.

I'm aware of SyFy and sometimes I watch a little bit, but I'm not using the TV that much these days. I've never heard of MeTV but I'm reading the Wikipedia article 'List of programs broadcast by MeTV' (actually, I'm reading it in the Gopherpedia). It has a lot of shows that I used to watch in the past, such as 'Buck Rogers in the 25th Century', 'Lost in Space', and 'The Time Tunnel'. Besides 'Star Trek' I lost connection with that shows. It'll be nice to re-watch them again.

Also, many of the dramas that MeTV is broadcasting are very good. It's seems like a very fine TV station.

Thanks for the suggestion.

---
  • From Vk3jed@VERT/FREEWAY to Nightfox on Sat Dec 12 02:42:00 2020
    On 12-09-20 08:42, Nightfox wrote to Vk3jed <=-

With flat-panel digital TVs, I'm glad there is more of a worldwide standard for TV and videos. Though, it seems that videos can still be

Standard? More like smart processors that can accept just about anything at native rates. :)

in different frame rates, depending on the source (one streaming
    service might have something at 30fps, one at a very similar 29.97fps,
    and then perhaps a movie at 24fps), and they all seem to display okay
    on a digital flat-panel TV.

I have seen issues between 24 and 25 fps, because the common technique is to drop or duplicate a frame, which leads to jerky motion when slow panning. It's very obvious on swcenes from 2001: A Space Ogyssey, which has a lot of slow panning and steady motion of spacecraft.

I think the conversion between 24 and 30 fps is the hardest one to visually pick.

I've played with video encoding software, and such software usually has ways to change the frame rate - I think there are software techniques
    to do interpolation to add frames if you want to increase the frame
    rate, though I doubt it's perfect.

It depends on the two frame rates. The worst case is when they're very similar (like 24 and 25 fps).

... Variables won`t; constants aren`t.
    --- MultiMail/Win v0.51
  • From Nightfox@VERT/DIGDIST to Vk3jed on Fri Dec 11 16:33:50 2020
    By: Vk3jed to Nightfox on Fri Dec 11 2020 06:42 pm

It depends on the two frame rates. The worst case is when they're very similar (like 24 and 25 fps).

There's a movie I bought on DVD months ago (it's not out on blu-ray), and it ended up being the full-screen version. It's NTSC, at 24fps. I found a PAL version of the DVD that's widescreen and bought that one - And being PAL, it's 25fps. The length is several minutes shorter, and I did some calculating and realized it seems what they did was just speed up the video (and audio) slightly from 24fps to 25fps for the PAL version.

Nightfox

---
  • From Dumas Walker@VERT/CAPCITY2 to PFEROR on Fri Dec 11 18:36:00 2020
    Also, many of the dramas that MeTV is broadcasting are very good. It's seems l
    ke a very fine TV station.

Thanks for the suggestion.

I like it. :)

* SLMR 2.1a * My other vehicle is a Galaxy Class Starship

---
  • From Dumas Walker@VERT/CAPCITY2 to PFEROR on Sat Dec 12 00:37:00 2020
    By the way, if you like the Twilight Zone, you might also like Alfred
    Hitchcock Presents. Several of his stories are about crimes that have a interesting twist at the end, but many of the others also involve some supernatural involvement or other sci-fi explanation.

One of my favorites is one about an old man with a mean wife who is always dreaming of going to some tropical paradise with a younger woman. The
    younger woman in one of his posters comes to life and helps take care of
    the mean wife. :)

Most of the ones involving murder end with Hitchcock telling of a bad end
    for the perpetrator who appeared to get away with it during the story. I assume that was to get around the censors of the day... there had to be a consequence for the crime. However, with the episode I described above,
    the wife was so mean I think Hitchcock let the guy and his poster girl get
    away with it. :)

* SLMR 2.1a * I used to have a handle on life, then it broke.

---
  • From Ogg@VERT/EOTLBBS to Bob Roberts on Sat Dec 12 05:08:00 2020
    Hello Bob!

** On Tuesday 08.12.20 - 22:17, ogg wrote to Bob Roberts:

** On Tuesday 08.12.20 - 13:00, bob.roberts wrote to Ogg:

For those of you who enjoy the Twilight Zone and the
    other shows mentioned here, you might enjoy the Black
    Mirror series.

Now that you put it that way, I'll have to check it out.

Unlike other BM episodes, that one supposedly has humour -
    sounds good.

I just finished watching that episode. Loved it. I can't say
    that it changed my life, but it has given me hope that there
    *can* be good television to be made.

Unlike the other (yet few) BM episodes that I saw, I liked the
    humour in this one.

The actor playing Captain Daly seemed to resemble Matt Damon a
    bit.

---
  • From Nightfox@VERT/DIGDIST to Dumas Walker on Sat Dec 12 05:37:02 2020
    By: Dumas Walker to PFEROR on Fri Dec 11 2020 04:37 pm

By the way, if you like the Twilight Zone, you might also like Alfred Hitchcock Presents. Several of his stories are about crimes that have a interesting twist at the end, but many of the others also involve some supernatural involvement or other sci-fi explanation.

One of my favorites is one about an old man with a mean wife who is always dreaming of going to some tropical paradise with a younger woman. The younger woman in one of his posters comes to life and helps take care of the mean wife. :)

That sounds similar to a Steven Spielberg show in the 80s called Amazing Stories - But the stories in that show were more a bit more whimsical and without much explanation, rather than suspenseful and/or morally twisted like Twilight Zone or The Outer Limits were.

Nightfox

---
  • From poindexter FORTRAN@VERT/REALITY to Dumas Walker on Sat Dec 12 15:14:00 2020
    Dumas Walker wrote to PFEROR <=-

Careful where you park that - thieves are stealing the warp coils to
    sell the verterium cortenide. You might want to get one of those
    bolt-on shields.

... The exception also declares the rule
    --- MultiMail/XT v0.52
    þ Synchronet þ realitycheckBBS -- http://realitycheckBBS.org
  • From Nightfox@VERT/DIGDIST to poindexter FORTRAN on Sat Dec 12 18:13:26 2020
    By: poindexter FORTRAN to Dumas Walker on Sat Dec 12 2020 07:14 am

Careful where you park that - thieves are stealing the warp coils to
    sell the verterium cortenide. You might want to get one of those
    bolt-on shields.

"Shields!"
    https://youtu.be/lDKmSxJkOWA

Nightfox

---
  • From Sprite@VERT/TINTETBB to Nightfox on Sat Dec 12 16:45:56 2020
    By: Nightfox to Dumas Walker on Fri Dec 11 2020 21:37:02

That sounds similar to a Steven Spielberg show in the 80s called Amazing Stories - But the stories in that show were more a bit more whimsical and without much explanation, rather than suspenseful and/or morally twisted lik Twilight Zone or The Outer Limits were.

Oh god I loved Amazing Stories. What I wouldn't give for a show to be
    on these days like that one again. I think shows like that can do a whole lot for the creativity of younger people; maybe it was just me but I remember sitting and thinking quite a bit about the implausible endings of those shows.
    I've still got all of the episodes of that series; I should see if my son will watch them with me at some point. :)

---
    þ Synchronet þ Tinfoil Tetrahedron BBS - skulking seedily against the Brave New World
  • From Bob Roberts@VERT/HOVAL to Ogg on Sat Dec 12 18:48:16 2020
    By: Ogg to Bob Roberts on Fri Dec 11 2020 09:08 pm

I just finished watching that episode. Loved it. I can't say
    that it changed my life, but it has given me hope that there
    *can* be good television to be made.

I'm not sure what your TV style is yet, but if you liked this particular episode of BM, you might like "The Orville" which is Seth MacFarlanes tribute to ST:TNG. It's available on Hulu.

The actor playing Captain Daly seemed to resemble Matt Damon a
    bit.

He's one of those character actors you see in minor roles of about 100 shows - Jesse Plemons. He's very good in Fargo (the TV Series) Season 2. This is another show I recommend. You can watch the seasons out of order, they are all independent stories. My favorites are Seasons 2, and Season 3. Season 1 is also strong. I just finished Season 4 and did not love it as much as the others. The style is similar to Fargo the Movie: Northern Midwest settings, stupid criminals, bumbling law enforcement, fun crime stories.

---
  • From Pferor@VERT/BGGRSCYN to Dumas Walker on Sat Dec 12 14:45:02 2020
    By: Dumas Walker to PFEROR on Fri Dec 11 2020 04:37 pm

I did watch that, in the same era as 'The Twilight Zone'. There were re-runs of the old 'Alfred Hitchcock Presents'. I also watch, what I believe to be, a revival in the 80s of some episodes that I also watched in the 60s version.

I rememeber the episode you are talking about. It was one of my favorites. It reminded me of 'Steven Spielberg Amazing Stories'. There was an episode called "Remote Control Man" (1985). It's like the contemporary movie 'Click' (2006) with Adam Sandler, but done in a better way. Many stars from the 80s shows appear in that episode, including Templeton Peck from 'The A-Team' and Kitt from 'The Knight Rider'. Because I grew up on the 80s and I watched too much TV back then, that episode was amazing to me.

I also remember an 'Alfred Hitchcock Presents' episode that was engraved into my memory, about a prisoner that tries to escape through the desert, surrounded by vultures, near the country border. At least is how I rememeber it.

---
  • From Nightfox@VERT/DIGDIST to Sprite on Sat Dec 12 21:15:34 2020
    By: Sprite to Nightfox on Sat Dec 12 2020 08:45 am

Oh god I loved Amazing Stories. What I wouldn't give for a show to be
    on these days like that one again. I think shows like that can do a whole

I heard there was an Amazing Stories reboot earlier this year, but there were only a handful of episodes. I'm curious to check it out.

Nightfox

---
  • From Bob Roberts@VERT/HOVAL to Nightfox on Sat Dec 12 22:32:11 2020
    By: Nightfox to Sprite on Sat Dec 12 2020 01:15 pm

Oh god I loved Amazing Stories. What I wouldn't give for a show to
    be on these days like that one again. I think shows like that can do
    a whole

I heard there was an Amazing Stories reboot earlier this year, but there were only a handful of episodes. I'm curious to check it out.

There is. Produced by Steven Spielberg and everything. It's an AppleTV+ exclusive. There are 5 episodes so far.

... A diplomat is a man who thinks twice before saying nothing.

---
  • From Bob Roberts@VERT/HOVAL to Pferor on Sat Dec 12 22:37:00 2020
    By: Pferor to Dumas Walker on Sat Dec 12 2020 06:45 am

I rememeber the episode you are talking about. It was one of my favorites. It reminded me of 'Steven Spielberg Amazing Stories'. There was an episode called "Remote Control Man" (1985). It's like the contemporary movie 'Click' (2006) with Adam Sandler, but done in a better way. Many stars from the 80s shows appear in that episode, including Templeton Peck from 'The A-Team' and Kitt from 'The Knight Rider'. Because I grew up on the 80s and I watched too much TV back then, that episode was amazing to me.

OMG, I'm right there with you. When I was a kid, if there was *ANY* sort of cross-over in an episode it was mind blowing. The fact that different TV should could reference one another was such a delight.

... Always forgive your enemies - nothing else annoys them as much.

---
  • From Ogg@VERT/EOTLBBS to Bob Roberts on Sun Dec 13 06:30:00 2020
    Hello Bob!

** On Saturday 12.12.20 - 13:48, bob.roberts wrote to Ogg:

I just finished watching that episode. Loved it. I can't
    say that it changed my life, but it has given me hope
    that there *can* be good television to be made.

I'm not sure what your TV style is yet, but if you liked
    this particular episode of BM, you might like "The Orville"
    which is Seth MacFarlanes tribute to ST:TNG. It's available
    on Hulu.

Yep.. I motored through that last year. It was pretty good!
    I primarily wanted to see the episode with Charlize Theron
    (Pria) - first. Then I decided to start from S1E1.

- Jesse Plemons. He's very good in Fargo (the TV Series)
    Season 2. This is another show I recommend. You can watch
    the seasons out of order, they are

I remember seeing the movie Fargo many years ago. It was
    "different" and funny.

all independent stories. My favorites are Seasons 2, and
    Season 3. Season 1 is also strong. I just finished Season
    4 and did not love it as much as the others. The style is
    similar to Fargo the Movie..

I will try to remember that one. Right now, I am motoring
    through S4 of Black Mirror. I seem to prefer the antholgy
    style so that I don't have to watch any particular season or
    series of episodes in any order.

I'm also going to give the Twilight Zone - radio series - a
    try.
    --
    ../|ug

---
  • From Sprite@VERT/TINTETBB to Nightfox on Sun Dec 13 22:26:03 2020
    By: Nightfox to Sprite on Sat Dec 12 2020 13:15:34

I heard there was an Amazing Stories reboot earlier this year, but there wer only a handful of episodes. I'm curious to check it out.

That would be worth seeing, yeah... I'll have to look around for that.

---
    þ Synchronet þ Tinfoil Tetrahedron BBS - skulking seedily against the Brave New World
  • From Bob Roberts@VERT/HOVAL to Ogg on Mon Dec 14 18:02:17 2020
    By: Ogg to Bob Roberts on Sat Dec 12 2020 10:30 pm

Yep.. I motored through that last year. It was pretty good!
    I primarily wanted to see the episode with Charlize Theron
    (Pria) - first. Then I decided to start from S1E1.

Charlize is great. Did you see "The Old Guard" on Netflix? She plays a highlander. :-)

|01bobbobbobbob|09bob|03bob|11bob|03bob|09bob|01bobbobbob |01robrobrobrob|09rob|03rob|11rob|03rob|09rob|01robrobrob |07

... I never used to be able to finish anything, but now I

---
  • From Ogg@VERT/EOTLBBS to Bob Roberts on Tue Dec 15 02:16:00 2020
    Hello Bob!

** On Monday 14.12.20 - 13:02, bob.roberts wrote to Ogg:

Yep.. I motored through that last year. It was pretty
    good! I primarily wanted to see the episode with Charlize
    Theron (Pria) - first. Then I decided to start from S1E1.

Charlize is great. Did you see "The Old Guard" on Netflix?
    She plays a highlander. :-)

I have not heard of that one. It's too recent. The only other
    films I've seen with her in it are Snow White and the
    Huntsman, and Prometheus. But the film that really got my
    attention of this amazing physical and baeutiful actress is
    Mad Max: Fury Road. I had to stop that film a few times to
    catch my breath.

BTW, as much as I feel entertained when actors do well, I
    still think they are paid far too much for what they do. A
    "good" actor wouldn't be able to pull off a bad script and
    make it worthy.

---
  • From Vk3jed@VERT/FREEWAY to Nightfox on Tue Dec 15 22:06:00 2020
    On 12-11-20 08:33, Nightfox wrote to Vk3jed <=-

There's a movie I bought on DVD months ago (it's not out on blu-ray),
    and it ended up being the full-screen version. It's NTSC, at 24fps. I found a PAL version of the DVD that's widescreen and bought that one -
    And being PAL, it's 25fps. The length is several minutes shorter, and
    I did some calculating and realized it seems what they did was just
    speed up the video (and audio) slightly from 24fps to 25fps for the PAL version.

That's a cheap and interesting way of doing it. For some content, it wouldn't matter.

... MultiMail, the new multi-platform, multi-format offline reader!
    --- MultiMail/Win v0.51
  • From Nightfox@VERT/DIGDIST to Vk3jed on Tue Dec 15 20:18:11 2020
    By: Vk3jed to Nightfox on Tue Dec 15 2020 02:06 pm

at 24fps. I found a PAL version of the DVD that's widescreen and
    bought that one - And being PAL, it's 25fps. The length is several
    minutes shorter, and I did some calculating and realized it seems
    what they did was just speed up the video (and audio) slightly from
    24fps to 25fps for the PAL version.

That's a cheap and interesting way of doing it. For some content, it wouldn't matter.

I suppose it wouldn't make a big difference. I imagine it may have been common to translate NTSC movies to PAL that way, though I'm nto sure. I was trying to use some software to upscale the movie to 4K, and I actually thought it might be fairly easy to make it be in its 'proper' 24fps format, since there would be no extra interpolated frames or anything, but the weird thing was it seemed difficult to slow the audio down and sync it properly.. I found ffmpeg has an option to take the original video and slow down the playback of both the video and audio together, which I suppose could be okay.

Nightfox

---
  • From Vk3jed@VERT/FREEWAY to Nightfox on Thu Dec 17 02:30:00 2020
    On 12-15-20 12:18, Nightfox wrote to Vk3jed <=-

I suppose it wouldn't make a big difference. I imagine it may have
    been common to translate NTSC movies to PAL that way, though I'm nto
    sure. I was trying to use some software to upscale the movie to 4K,

It was done to convert old silent film to video, but with older movies running at 18fps, they tend to look comical at 25fps.

and I actually thought it might be fairly easy to make it be in its 'proper' 24fps format, since there would be no extra interpolated
    frames or anything, but the weird thing was it seemed difficult to slow the audio down and sync it properly.. I found ffmpeg has an option to

I'm not surprised. While you can speed up or slow down the frame rate accordingly, the audio has to be have its speed adjusted to match.

take the original video and slow down the playback of both the video
    and audio together, which I suppose could be okay.

Yeah that might be worth a try. :)

... Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality?
    --- MultiMail/Win v0.51