• Star Trek Picard

From Brokenmind@VERT/TIABBS to All on Wed Jan 8 21:30:20 2020
    Anyone else looking foward to watching the new Star Trek Picard? It starts on Jan 23. It's on CBS all access here in the states

BrokenMind

---
    þ Synchronet þ THe iNSANE AsYLuM BBs - TiABBs.SYNCHRO.NET
  • From Nightfox@VERT/DIGDIST to Brokenmind on Wed Jan 8 23:50:29 2020
    Re: Star Trek Picard
    By: Brokenmind to All on Wed Jan 08 2020 09:30 pm

Anyone else looking foward to watching the new Star Trek Picard? It starts on Jan 23. It's on CBS all access here in the states

I'm looking forward to it. From the ads, it looks fairly good, and I hope it doesn't disappoint. I've seen talk online recently that Patrick Stewart has said "the world of The Next Generation no longer exists" and it will be a darker show, and people are commenting that they worry that means it's "not true Star Trek" or will be as bad as they think Discovery is.. I still have hopes it will be a good show, and I want to wait and see. I've heard the show involves the Borg, and I'm curious who that mysterious lady is from the ads, and how Data will be appearing in the show (since Data was destroyed in the movie 'Nemesis').

Nightfox

---
    þ Synchronet þ Digital Distortion: digitaldistortionbbs.com
  • From Limping Ninja@VERT/CAPSHRIL to Nightfox on Fri Jan 10 03:09:25 2020
    I'm looking forward to it. From the ads, it looks fairly good, and I hope it doesn't disappoint.

Ditto, it looks really good from the clippings and I'm hoping it holds up. I'm a fanboy of Patrick Stewart, though, so I am slightly more optimistic.

worry that means it's "not true Star Trek" or will be as bad as they think Discovery

Yeah, but I personally don't worry if it is/is not as bad as those people think. I find the argument tired and it is less 'This is true Star Trek' then 'This is Nostalgic'. Unpopular opinion: I think the original series was relatively stupid and slapstick-esque for most episodes (not that all series didn't have some bombs).

Waiting with fingers crossed :-)

LN

---
    þ Synchronet þ Capitol Shrill BBS - Washington, DC - capitolshrill.com
  • From Brokenmind@VERT/TIABBS to Nightfox on Fri Jan 10 10:02:06 2020
    By: Nightfox to Brokenmind on Wed Jan 08 2020 11:50 pm

heard the show involves the Borg, and I'm curious who that mysterious lady is from the ads, and how Data will be appearing in the show (since Data was destroyed in the movie 'Nemesis').
    I have been curious about a few things also including data. I'm wondering if the android they found on that planet in the Nemesis movie was updated with a backup of data but who knows and I did not hear anything about the borge and i now to wonder about that voice it seems familer...

brokenmind

---
  • From Brokenmind@VERT/TIABBS to Limping Ninja on Fri Jan 10 10:03:52 2020
    By: Limping Ninja to Nightfox on Fri Jan 10 2020 03:09 am

Ditto, it looks really good from the clippings and I'm hoping it holds up. I'm a fanboy of Patrick Stewart, though, so I am slightly more optimistic. Waiting with fingers crossed :-)

I have also been a fan of Patrick Stewart and also have my fingers crossed. I actualy met a few of the cast at differnt conventions

brokenmind

---
  • From poindexter FORTRAN@VERT/REALITY to Limping Ninja on Fri Jan 10 07:08:00 2020
    Limping Ninja wrote to Nightfox <=-

Yeah, but I personally don't worry if it is/is not as bad as those
    people think. I find the argument tired and it is less 'This is true
    Star Trek' then 'This is Nostalgic'. Unpopular opinion: I think the original series was relatively stupid and slapstick-esque for most episodes (not that all series didn't have some bombs).

The show I want to watch? I watched the DVD "What We Left Behind", a documentary about DS9. The writers got together and brainstormed a season 8
    of DS9 on camera, and it sounded pretty amazing.

... Do you know where you are?
    --- MultiMail/XT v0.52
    þ Synchronet þ realitycheckBBS -- http://realitycheckBBS.org
  • From Nightfox@VERT/DIGDIST to Limping Ninja on Fri Jan 10 12:05:25 2020

then 'This is Nostalgic'. Unpopular opinion: I think the original series was relatively stupid and slapstick-esque for most episodes (not that all series didn't have some bombs).

I tend to prefer TNG and the later series too. I haven't even seen all of TOS, though that's not really because I dislike it. I used to watch TOS reruns when I was a kid, just before TNG started, but TOS seems really campy to me now.

Nightfox

---
  • From Nightfox@VERT/DIGDIST to Brokenmind on Fri Jan 10 12:11:57 2020
    By: Brokenmind to Nightfox on Fri Jan 10 2020 10:02 am

I have been curious about a few things also including data. I'm wondering if the android they found on that planet in the Nemesis movie was updated with a backup of data but who knows and I did not hear anything about the borge and i now to wonder about that voice it seems familer...

That android was B4. In Nemesis, Data did copy his memories into B4 before Data was destroyed (and toward the end of Nemesis, we saw B4 whistling the "pop goes the weasel" song like Data was doing in the holodeck in the first episode of TNG).

I don't remember if the Borg was explicitly shown in the trailers for the Picard show, but we know 7 of 9 will be in the show. I've also seen articles that Hugh will be in the show. Hugh was the Borg that started to regain his individuality in the TNG episode "I Borg", and he was also in the 2-part episode "Descent", where Lore was leading a group of Borg drones. I've read that the Borg may (or will) be a big part of the plot of the Picard show, and speculation about the Romulans possibly being involved with the Borg plot. I seem to also remember reading some speculation that Picard might be blood-related to that mysterious lady through his clone Shinzon or something, but that was just someone's speculation. We'll just have to wait and see.

Nightfox

---
  • From Moondog@VERT/CAVEBBS to poindexter FORTRAN on Fri Jan 10 13:57:00 2020
    Re: Re: Star Trek Picard
    By: poindexter FORTRAN to Limping Ninja on Fri Jan 10 2020 07:08 am

Limping Ninja wrote to Nightfox <=-

Yeah, but I personally don't worry if it is/is not as bad as those people think. I find the argument tired and it is less 'This is true Star Trek' then 'This is Nostalgic'. Unpopular opinion: I think the original series was relatively stupid and slapstick-esque for most episodes (not that all series didn't have some bombs).

The show I want to watch? I watched the DVD "What We Left Behind", a documentary about DS9. The writers got together and brainstormed a season 8 of DS9 on camera, and it sounded pretty amazing.

... Do you know where you are?
    Voyager actor Tim Russ made a low budget concpet for another spinoff series that included several carry over actors from the other Trek franchises. IIRC it can be found on Youtube. The name is Star Trek Renegades. Story line is a bout a terroist cell ooperating in Federation space, and Starfleet does not appear to be interested in pursuing them. A very old Chekov is in charge of
    a clandestine organization run under the Federation charter, and recruits a combination of Star Fleet and organized criminal assets to follow the prgress of the bad guys.

---
    þ Synchronet þ The Cave BBS - Since 1992 - cavebbs.homeip.net
  • From Nightfox@VERT/DIGDIST to Moondog on Fri Jan 10 15:21:19 2020
    By: Moondog to poindexter FORTRAN on Fri Jan 10 2020 01:57 pm

Voyager actor Tim Russ made a low budget concpet for another spinoff series that included several carry over actors from the other Trek franchises. IIRC it can be found on Youtube. The name is Star Trek Renegades. Story line is a bout a terroist cell ooperating in Federation space, and Starfleet does not appear to be interested in pursuing them. A very old Chekov is in charge of a clandestine organization run under the Federation charter, and recruits a combination of Star Fleet and organized criminal assets to follow the prgress of the bad guys.

Some of the same actors (and others) also did another rogue Star Trek production called "Of Gods And Men".

Nightfox

---
  • From Sprite@VERT/TINTETBB to Brokenmind on Fri Jan 10 16:58:35 2020
    By: Brokenmind to All on Wed Jan 08 2020 21:30:20

Definitely interested in it here. I haven't read anything about it yet, but the fact that they signed Patrick Stewart to it tells me that it can't be all that bad. ;)
    Jan 23rd isn't too far away now, either. Woo! I've been out of media for awhile now I've got Doctor Who and Picard in the same season!

---
    þ Synchronet þ My Brand-New BBS
  • From Sprite@VERT/TINTETBB to Nightfox on Fri Jan 10 16:59:41 2020
    By: Nightfox to Brokenmind on Wed Jan 08 2020 23:50:29

it's "not true Star Trek" or will be as bad as they think Discovery is.. I

You know, that's funny. I've heard a _lot_ of echoes of this sentiment but I found it pretty decent, personally. :P I really like what they did with the Klingon culture, too, instead of just making them humans with different faces that are on too many 'roids.

---
  • From poindexter FORTRAN@VERT/REALITY to Moondog on Fri Jan 10 19:58:22 2020

Voyager actor Tim Russ made a low budget concpet for another spinoff series that included several carry over actors from the other Trek franchises. IIRC it can be found on Youtube. The name is Star Trek Renegades. Story line is a bout a terroist cell ooperating in Federation space, and Starfleet does not appear to be interested in pursuing them. A very old Chekov is in charge of a clandestine organization run under the Federation charter, and recruits a combination of Star Fleet and organized criminal assets to follow the prgress of the bad guys.

One thing that bugged me about the Axanar thing was that when Paramount re-did their guidelines for fan fiction, one of the requirements (among others, like don't use the ST name) was that people who'd acted in ST were prevented from acting in derivative fan films. I'd think the labor board would find that as unenforceable as a non-compete clause.

---
  • From Nightfox@VERT/DIGDIST to Sprite on Fri Jan 10 21:14:35 2020
    Re: Re: Star Trek - Discovery
    By: Sprite to Nightfox on Fri Jan 10 2020 04:59 pm

it's "not true Star Trek" or will be as bad as they think Discovery
    is.. I

You know, that's funny. I've heard a _lot_ of echoes of this sentiment but I found it pretty decent, personally. :P I really like what they did with the Klingon culture, too, instead of just making them humans with different faces that are on too many 'roids.

I enjoy watching Discovery, but I've had a hard time with the Klingons in Discovery. Discovery is supposed to take place about 10 years before the Original Series, yet the Klingons seem quite a bit different.. It doesn't seem to fit in with canon Star Trek. From just their appearance, I don't really see how they could go from looking like Discovery Klingons to TOS Klingons in just 10 years. They already changed the look of the Klingons once (from their TOS appearance to their appearance in The Motion Picture in 1979 - which is also how the Next Generation Klingons looked), and they had to explain why the TOS Klingons looked different from the Klingons in the other series. The explanation they used was genetic manipulation, and I had the impression was that the 'newer' Klingons from The Motion Picture / TNG was how they looked orgiinally, and then they experimented with the super-human DNA from the eugenics wars, making them look more human, and eventually they went back to looking like original Klingons. Now they've complicated things again..

Nightfox

---
  • From Lupine Furmen@VERT/FURFOL to Brokenmind on Sat Jan 11 02:57:53 2020
    By: Brokenmind to All on Wed Jan 08 2020 21:30:20

None of the trailers I've seen have really done anything to get me excited about it.

I'll proabably watch a couple of episodes to see what it's about and where they plan on going with it. But it's not a show that's high on my priority list.
    -+-

Lupine Furmen
    -Dallas Vinson
    Furmens Folly (FIDO 1:123/257) - telnet: loybbs.net:23
    SSH: loybbs.net:23222
    Before the Web - telnet: loybbs.net:23232
    Legends of Yesteryear (FIDO 1:123/256) - telnet: loybbs.net:23322
    Sound Source ]|[ - telnet: furmenservices.net:2323

... Alimony: Bounty after the mutiny

---
    þ Synchronet þ Furmen's Folly - furmenservices.net:23
  • From Lupine Furmen@VERT/FURFOL to Nightfox on Sat Jan 11 08:16:14 2020
    By: Nightfox to Sprite on Fri Jan 10 2020 21:14:35

Liberated from memory-beta.fandom.com/wiki/Klingon_Defense_Force:
    --
    By nature, the KDF was staffed by Klingons. Due to the influence of the alliance with the Federation, operating with non-Klingon personnel became an option. A Pheben - a jeghpu'wI' species, or conquered people - served on the former KDF flagship IKS Bortas in 2385. (PRM novel: Fire with Fire)

As a result of the war between the Klingon Empire and the Gorn Hegemony in the 2390s, Gorn, Nausicaans and Orions began serving in the KDF. (STO novel: The Needs of the Many) By 2409, other common officer species included the Letheans, who pursued membership in the Klingon Empire, aliens and Ferasans. A few commanding officers stemmed from joined Trill. With the return of the Borg Collective, some Klingon commanders were liberated Borg. (STO - "Klingon Sector" mission: "Test Your Mettle") With the establishment of the Delta Alliance in the Delta Quadrant, Talaxians were invited to serve in the KDF. ({{STO|sub=Delta Rising|Reunion (STO)|Reunion)
    --

This pretty much explains the differences in apearance. I remember in one episode (I think it was DS9:Trials and Tribbelations) when they encountered the TOS versions Worf simplay stated that they "Don't talk about them."
    -+-

Lupine Furmen
    -Dallas Vinson

... Me no wanna goto work. Me wanna bang on keyboard!

Dallas

---
  • From Nightfox@VERT/DIGDIST to Lupine Furmen on Sat Jan 11 12:15:44 2020
    Re: Klingons
    By: Lupine Furmen to Nightfox on Sat Jan 11 2020 08:16 am

Liberated from memory-beta.fandom.com/wiki/Klingon_Defense_Force:

Memory-beta is non-canon though..

Nightfox

---
  • From Lupine Furmen@VERT/FURFOL to Nightfox on Sat Jan 11 18:15:31 2020
    By: Nightfox to Lupine Furmen on Sat Jan 11 2020 12:15:44

Since Memory Beta states specifically at the top that it is "Non-Canon" and Memory Alpha does not, does that mean that Memory Alpha IS canon?
    And if it is, and I was directed to the Memory Beta article BY Memory Alpha, what does THAT say about canon?
    And of course with all off JJ's medling and screwing with the timelines, what really IS canon anymore?
    -+-

Lupine Furmen
    -Dallas Vinson

... File not found. Should I fake it? (Y/N)

---
  • From Moondog@VERT/CAVEBBS to Nightfox on Sun Jan 12 11:29:00 2020
    By: Nightfox to Limping Ninja on Fri Jan 10 2020 12:05 pm

then 'This is Nostalgic'. Unpopular opinion: I think the original serie was relatively stupid and slapstick-esque for most episodes (not that a series didn't have some bombs).

I tend to prefer TNG and the later series too. I haven't even seen all of T

Nightfox

TOS, like most early TV, was a bit more cut and dried when it came to story telling. Due to networks playing episodes out of order or pre-empting a broadcast with breaking news or another unscheduled event, any porblem a primary character has would have to be resolved and never spoken of in later episodes. TNG was able to adopt a serial nature due to syndication and lax production schedules and deadlines. This allowed for further character development, plus more complex story lines.

Both series were about the human condition, however TNG was able to strecth into grey areas where there was no cut and dried answer to a problem.TOS once was scolded by the network for an episode where Kirk revisited a primitive planet where lack of technological superiority by any side kept the peace,
    only to find out the Klingons were upsetting the balance by supplying weapons and technology. Kirk's ultimate decision was to work around loopholes in the Prime Directive and supply the other side through a cold war. The network
    was pissed because they preferred their news branch to be the only source of Vietnam war editorial,and they got away by placing it in a fantasy context.

---
  • From Moondog@VERT/CAVEBBS to Nightfox on Sun Jan 12 11:34:00 2020
    By: Nightfox to Moondog on Fri Jan 10 2020 03:21 pm

Voyager actor Tim Russ made a low budget concpet for another spinoff series that included several carry over actors from the other Trek franchises. IIRC it can be found on Youtube. The name is Star Trek Renegades. Story line is a bout a terroist cell ooperating in Federatio space, and Starfleet does not appear to be interested in pursuing them. very old Chekov is in charge of a clandestine organization run under th Federation charter, and recruits a combination of Star Fleet and organi criminal assets to follow the prgress of the bad guys.

Some of the same actors (and others) also did another rogue Star Trek produc

Nightfox

Seen it. While it was alright, there's much better fan fiction out there
    such as continuing Voyages and Phase Two.

---
  • From Moondog@VERT/CAVEBBS to poindexter FORTRAN on Sun Jan 12 11:38:00 2020
    By: poindexter FORTRAN to Moondog on Fri Jan 10 2020 07:58 pm

One thing that bugged me about the Axanar thing was that when Paramount re-d
    fan films. I'd think the labor board would find that as unenforceable as a

There is a re-edit of Renegades out there where Tim Russ went back and
    changed character names, and altered all Trek universe references. It was butchered.

---
  • From Moondog@VERT/CAVEBBS to Nightfox on Sun Jan 12 11:41:00 2020
    By: Nightfox to Sprite on Fri Jan 10 2020 09:14 pm

I enjoy watching Discovery, but I've had a hard time with the Klingons in Di Trek. From just their appearance, I don't really see how they could go from n Picture in 1979 - which is also how the Next Generation Klingons looked),
    was that the 'newer' Klingons from The Motion Picture / TNG was how they lo lingons. Now they've complicated things again..

Nightfox

Quite a mess. I recall Roddenberry explaining why he added the ridges was because he wished he had the makeup to do so in the first place.

---
  • From Nightfox@VERT/DIGDIST to Lupine Furmen on Sun Jan 12 12:14:13 2020
    Re: Memory Beta / Alpha
    By: Lupine Furmen to Nightfox on Sat Jan 11 2020 06:15 pm

Since Memory Beta states specifically at the top that it is "Non-Canon" and Memory Alpha does not, does that mean that Memory Alpha IS canon?

Yes, I think that's generally the case. I've seen articles on Memory Alpha, and Memory Alpha generally only refers to things and events shown in the Star Trek TV series and movies, which are generally the things accepted as canon.

And if it is, and I was directed to the Memory Beta article BY Memory Alpha, what does THAT say about canon?

Do you have a link to the Memory Alpha article? I don't remember for sure, but I thought I had seen disclaimers about things on Memory Beta not all being canon.

And of course with all off JJ's medling and screwing with the timelines, what really IS canon anymore?

My understanding is that anything officially produced by the owners of the Star Trek franchise/copyright is canon, and that includes the JJ Abrams movies. The JJ Abrams movies aren't someone's fan fiction, they're official Star Trek productions.

Nightfox

---
  • From Nightfox@VERT/DIGDIST to Moondog on Sun Jan 12 12:17:37 2020
    By: Moondog to Nightfox on Sun Jan 12 2020 11:29 am

Both series were about the human condition, however TNG was able to strecth into grey areas where there was no cut and dried answer to a problem.TOS once was scolded by the network for an episode where Kirk revisited a primitive planet where lack of technological superiority by any side kept the peace, only to find out the Klingons were upsetting the balance by supplying weapons and technology. Kirk's ultimate decision was to work around loopholes in the Prime Directive and supply the other side through a cold war. The network was pissed because they preferred their news branch to be the only source of Vietnam war editorial,and they got away by placing it in a fantasy context.

Star Trek always tried to use its medium to make political and social points. I actually like that about the show, though sometimes I think too many political stories gets a bit boring after a while. I think they kept a good balance with Star Trek. I also like the stories that are more about science and exploration.

Nightfox

---
  • From Nightfox@VERT/DIGDIST to Moondog on Sun Jan 12 12:19:17 2020
    By: Moondog to Nightfox on Sun Jan 12 2020 11:41 am

Quite a mess. I recall Roddenberry explaining why he added the ridges was because he wished he had the makeup to do so in the first place.

Yeah, I remember reading that. I suppose it makes sense. I wouldn't expect all alien species to look so much like humans. Even with all they did to make alien species in TNG & DS9 look different, they still looked largely like humans - Similar height & shape, etc..

Nightfox

---
  • From Vk3jed@VERT/FREEWAY to Sprite on Sat Jan 11 16:27:00 2020
    On 01-10-20 16:58, Sprite wrote to Brokenmind <=-

Jan 23rd isn't too far away now, either. Woo! I've been out of
    media for awhile now I've got Doctor Who and Picard in the same season!

2019-2020 is shaping up to be one of the best years for SF in a long time. We have Discovery, Picard, The Expanse, Lost in Space and the new season of Dr Who around. Certainly a much better situation than the mid-late 2010s, when things dried up for a bit.

... You were sent here as a warning to others, weren't you?
    --- MultiMail/Win v0.51
    þ Synchronet þ Freeway BBS, Bendigo Australia. freeway.apana.org.au
  • From Vk3jed@VERT/FREEWAY to Nightfox on Mon Jan 13 17:49:00 2020
    On 01-12-20 12:14, Nightfox wrote to Lupine Furmen <=-

@VIA: VERT/DIGDIST
    Re: Memory Beta / Alpha
    By: Lupine Furmen to Nightfox on Sat Jan 11 2020 06:15 pm

Memory Alpha is canon, Memory Beta includes non canon information.

My understanding is that anything officially produced by the owners of
    the Star Trek franchise/copyright is canon, and that includes the JJ Abrams movies. The JJ Abrams movies aren't someone's fan fiction,
    they're official Star Trek productions.

Correct. The JJ Abrams movies are canon, but are considered an alternate timeline within canon.

... May we kiss those we please, and please those we kiss.
    --- MultiMail/Win v0.51
  • From Moondog@VERT/CAVEBBS to Nightfox on Mon Jan 13 01:37:00 2020
    By: Nightfox to Moondog on Sun Jan 12 2020 12:17 pm

Star Trek always tried to use its medium to make political and social points also like the stories that are more about science and exploration.

Nightfox

Trek was a great way to explore our own world by by placing a degree of separation, either by time or space, or giving our attributes to other species.

---
  • From poindexter FORTRAN@VERT/REALITY to Moondog on Mon Jan 13 06:49:00 2020
    Moondog wrote to poindexter FORTRAN <=-

There is a re-edit of Renegades out there where Tim Russ went back and changed character names, and altered all Trek universe references. It
    was butchered.

My marketing class was a long time ago, but I seem to recall "Don't sue your customers" being taught the first week.

... Don't sue your customers.
    --- MultiMail/XT v0.52
  • From poindexter FORTRAN@VERT/REALITY to Moondog on Mon Jan 13 06:55:00 2020
    Moondog wrote to Nightfox <=-

Quite a mess. I recall Roddenberry explaining why he added the ridges
    was because he wished he had the makeup to do so in the first place.

I wonder if the new makeup and prosthetics are changing the way Klingon
    sounds in canon - they sound much more muffled and like they're talking through a thick layer of latex - which they are. Not that I mind, however. It's supposed to have been built up with different sounds than Federation standard.

... You can only make one dot at a time
    --- MultiMail/XT v0.52
  • From poindexter FORTRAN@VERT/REALITY to Nightfox on Mon Jan 13 06:58:00 2020
    Nightfox wrote to Moondog <=-

Yeah, I remember reading that. I suppose it makes sense. I wouldn't expect all alien species to look so much like humans. Even with all
    they did to make alien species in TNG & DS9 look different, they still looked largely like humans - Similar height & shape, etc..

They did a remarkable retcon job in the TNG episode "The Chase". All of the races of known space had been seeded by an ancient race with their DNA, and
    so we all look like them. I guess they missed Tholia.

... Work at a different speed
    --- MultiMail/XT v0.52
  • From poindexter FORTRAN@VERT/REALITY to Moondog on Mon Jan 13 07:00:00 2020

Seen it. While it was alright, there's much better fan fiction out
    there such as continuing Voyages and Phase Two.

The early Phase II stuff (forget what they called it) with James Frawley as Kirk really captured the essence of TOS Season 4 they had envisioned.

... Emphasize the flaws
    --- MultiMail/XT v0.52
  • From Nightfox@VERT/DIGDIST to poindexter FORTRAN on Mon Jan 13 13:17:22 2020
    By: poindexter FORTRAN to Nightfox on Mon Jan 13 2020 06:58 am

They did a remarkable retcon job in the TNG episode "The Chase". All of the races of known space had been seeded by an ancient race with their DNA, and so we all look like them. I guess they missed Tholia.

I remember that. I agree, I think they were trying to explain why the major species in Star Trek look similar.

Nightfox

---
  • From Chickenhead@VERT to Lupine Furmen on Tue Jan 14 15:13:58 2020
    By: Lupine Furmen to Brokenmind on Sat Jan 11 2020 02:57 am

Picard looked interesting from the initial teasers but the recent stuff from Patrick Stewart saying the show would "take on" Trump and Brexit well...you lost me there. I want science fiction FAR removed from today's morality stories. This should be about the Federation post-TNG...I want to see Soong's legacy (which looks to be there) and where they ended up with the Borg threat.

I've been working my way through The Expanse and damn it...that's science fiction. They have me hook-line-and-sinker. You just have to slog through the first half of Season 1 to get there...after that it takes off.

Doctor Who has utterly lost me. Well to be honest they lost me in Capaldi's final season. Thank god I've got all of Tom Baker's years on DVD.

The AHK Gang! Live on Riot.im. When we feel like it.

---
    þ Synchronet þ Vertrauen þ Home of Synchronet þ [vert/cvs/bbs].synchro.net
  • From Vk3jed@VERT/FREEWAY to Chickenhead on Wed Jan 15 11:51:00 2020
    On 01-14-20 15:13, Chickenhead wrote to Lupine Furmen <=-

Picard looked interesting from the initial teasers but the recent stuff from Patrick Stewart saying the show would "take on" Trump and Brexit well...you lost me there. I want science fiction FAR removed from
    today's morality stories. This should be about the Federation post-TNG...I want to see Soong's legacy (which looks to be there) and where they ended up with the Borg threat.

Star Trek has always provided some social commentary on "current" (of the day) issues. That's one of the show's strength. Another show that does social commentary well, with a healthy dose of humour thrown in between the serious parts is The Orville.

I've been working my way through The Expanse and damn it...that's
    science fiction. They have me hook-line-and-sinker. You just have to slog through the first half of Season 1 to get there...after that it
    takes off.

The Expanse is awesome. Took a few episodes to work out what was going on, but once I caught on, I was hooked.

Doctor Who has utterly lost me. Well to be honest they lost me in Capaldi's final season. Thank god I've got all of Tom Baker's years on DVD.

I still enjoy Dr Who. We'll see where it goes.

... Windows 3.1: the best $99 solitare game I've ever seen!
    --- MultiMail/Win v0.51
  • From Moondog@VERT/CAVEBBS to poindexter FORTRAN on Tue Jan 14 20:21:00 2020
    By: poindexter FORTRAN to Moondog on Mon Jan 13 2020 06:55 am

I wonder if the new makeup and prosthetics are changing the way Klingon sounds in canon - they sound much more muffled and like they're talking through a thick layer of latex - which they are. Not that I mind, however. It's supposed to have been built up with different sounds than Federation standard.

... You can only make one dot at a time

The There is a nose prosthetic bridged by a forehead prosthetic. The lispy voice comes form wearing a set of false teeth covers. I recall seeing Armin S himmerman (Quark) at a convention, and he mentioned how an hour's worth of filming had to be thrown out because he forgot to put his teeth appliance in.
    they were filming a scene where Quark is unconscious and the crew are
    standing over him talking, and in between each actor's lines they'd cut and change camera angles for the next actor. This drags out 5 minutes of dialog
    to close to an hour including cuts and retakes. As soon as they finished the scene, he jumped up and told everyone he's sorry, he was filmed all this time with his normal teeth showing. I noticed Worf's teeth look normal unless he intentionally needs to growl or show his teeth for a scene.

---
  • From Moondog@VERT/CAVEBBS to poindexter FORTRAN on Tue Jan 14 20:29:00 2020
    By: poindexter FORTRAN to Moondog on Mon Jan 13 2020 07:00 am

Seen it. While it was alright, there's much better fan fiction out there such as continuing Voyages and Phase Two.

The early Phase II stuff (forget what they called it) with James Frawley as Kirk really captured the essence of TOS Season 4 they had envisioned.

... Emphasize the flaws

Before Cawley passed the torch over to the guy who does the Naruto voice acting, one of the extra new characters was Peter Kirk, Jim's nephew. I can imagine this addition was based on Gene's various notes. An ensign that happens to be the captain's nephew sounds like the inspiration for Wesley Crusher in TNG.

---
  • From Sprite@VERT/TINTETBB to Vk3jed on Wed Jan 15 13:00:25 2020
    By: Vk3jed to Sprite on Sat Jan 11 2020 16:27:00

2019-2020 is shaping up to be one of the best years for SF in a long time. We have Discovery, Picard, The Expanse, Lost in Space and the new season of Dr Who around. Certainly a much better situation than the mid-late 2010s, when things dried up for a bit.

:D Yeah I just started watching the new season of Dr. Who, too. Good times! I did stop watching the Expanse awhile ago after maybe the first half of the first season or so. I was too distracted by other things at the time. Maybe I should pick that up again, I've heard it's very much worth it.
    How is Lost in Space?

---
  • From Nightfox@VERT/DIGDIST to Chickenhead on Wed Jan 15 14:00:57 2020
    By: Chickenhead to Lupine Furmen on Tue Jan 14 2020 03:13 pm

well...you lost me there. I want science fiction FAR removed from today's morality stories. This should be about the Federation post-TNG...I want to

Star Trek has always had morality/political stories. Consider the following examples:
    - TOS: Let That Be Your Last Battlefield
    - TNG: The Outcast
    - TNG: The Inner Light
    - DS9: Rejoined
    - Movie - Star Trek 6: The Undiscovered Country

Nightfox

---
  • From Vk3jed@VERT/FREEWAY to Sprite on Thu Jan 16 11:19:00 2020
    On 01-15-20 13:00, Sprite wrote to Vk3jed <=-

:D Yeah I just started watching the new season of Dr. Who, too.

Cool. :)

Good times! I did stop watching the Expanse awhile ago after maybe the first half of the first season or so. I was too distracted by other things at the time. Maybe I should pick that up again, I've heard it's very much worth it.

Yes, The Expance is really good, and has interesting developments in each season. :)

How is Lost in Space?

Quite good. :)

... Today's extravagance becomes tomorrow's necessity.
    --- MultiMail/Win v0.51
  • From Dumas Walker@VERT/CAPCITY2 to CHICKENHEAD on Wed Jan 15 16:59:00 2020
    I've been working my way through The Expanse and damn it...that's science ficti
    n. They have me hook-line-and-sinker. You just have to slog through the first
    half of Season 1 to get there...after that it takes off.

The Expanse is awesome, period. I have not seen S4 yet so don't spoiler it
    if you get there. :)

Doctor Who has utterly lost me. Well to be honest they lost me in Capaldi's fi
    al season. Thank god I've got all of Tom Baker's years on DVD.

Capaldi's final season was weird. The new Dr is OK but the show has gotten
    too preachy for me, sort of like some of the points you made about Picard.
    More fiction less "bad people, bad!" :)

* SLMR 2.1a * Taglines: the toilet-stall walls of BBSdom.

---
    þ Synchronet þ CAPCITY2 * capcity2.synchro.net * Telnet/SSH:2022/Rlogin/HTTP
  • From Brokenmind@VERT/TIABBS to Nightfox on Thu Jan 16 14:57:26 2020
    By: Nightfox to Sprite on Fri Jan 10 2020 09:14 pm

I had the impression was that the 'newer' Klingons from The Motion Picture / TNG was how they looked orgiinally, and then they experimented with the super-human DNA from the eugenics wars, making them look more human, and eventually they went back to looking like original Klingons. Now they've complicated things again..

I like Star Trek Discovery but they really did complicate a lot of things with the timeline change and the new look and the tech that they have now looks years ahead of what they actually had at that time. please correct me if i'm wrong

---
  • From Brokenmind@VERT/TIABBS to Lupine Furmen on Thu Jan 16 14:58:59 2020
    By: Lupine Furmen to Nightfox on Sat Jan 11 2020 08:16 am

This pretty much explains the differences in apearance. I remember in one episode (I think it was DS9:Trials and Tribbelations) when they encountered the TOS versions Worf simplay stated that they "Don't talk about them." -+-

I remember that episode and when that converstaion came up it was an easy answer than but really complicated now...

---
  • From Dumas Walker@VERT/CAPCITY2 to SPRITE on Thu Jan 16 18:15:00 2020
    :D Yeah I just started watching the new season of Dr. Who, too. Good times!
    I did stop watching the Expanse awhile ago after maybe the first half of the fi
    st season or so. I was too distracted by other things at the time. Maybe I sh
    uld pick that up again, I've heard it's very much worth it.

It is indeed worth it. IMHO, it is better than Star Wars.

* SLMR 2.1a * Excuse my driving ... I'm trying to reload.

---
    þ Synchronet þ CAPCITY2 * capcity2.synchro.net * Telnet/SSH:2022/Rlogin/HTTP
  • From poindexter FORTRAN@VERT/REALITY to Moondog on Wed Jan 15 07:18:00 2020

The There is a nose prosthetic bridged by a forehead prosthetic. The lispy voice comes form wearing a set of false teeth covers. I recall seeing Armin S himmerman (Quark) at a convention, and he mentioned how
    an hour's worth of filming had to be thrown out because he forgot to
    put his teeth appliance in.

There's a podcast called The 7th Rule - it was Aron Eisenberg, Cirroc Lofton and a host (who'd been in some fan films, forget his name) reminiscing about Aron after he passed away. One of the stories was about Aron and Armin
    getting their foreheads switched when they had a change in makeup artists.

:)

... Don't be frightened of cliches
    --- MultiMail/XT v0.52
  • From poindexter FORTRAN@VERT/REALITY to Moondog on Wed Jan 15 07:19:00 2020

Before Cawley passed the torch over to the guy who does the Naruto
    voice acting, one of the extra new characters was Peter Kirk, Jim's nephew. I can imagine this addition was based on Gene's various notes.
    An ensign that happens to be the captain's nephew sounds like the inspiration for Wesley Crusher in TNG.

Wasn't he on Deneva in TOS? That planet that was attacked by the flying egg monsters?

... Don't avoid what is easy
    --- MultiMail/XT v0.52
  • From Arelor@VERT to Nightfox on Mon Jan 20 11:11:37 2020
    By: Nightfox to Brokenmind on Wed Jan 08 2020 11:50 pm

Dunno, with all the remakes, reboots and rewinds, something is clear to me by now. When they recreate something that used to be popular, the recreation is not even close to the actual thing.

The new Star Trek didn't feel like Star Trek. It was more like Fast & Furious in Space, which is not bad in itself, but it was not Star Trek. The Jack Ryan remake? Not a Jack Ryan film at all, only in name. You get the idea.

I'm looking forward to it. From the ads, it looks fairly good, and I hope it doesn't disappoint. I've seen talk online recently that Patrick Stewart has said "the world of The Next Generation no longer exists" and it will be a darker show, and people are commenting that they worry that means it's "not true Star Trek" or will be as bad as they think Discovery is.. I still have hopes it will be a good show, and I want to wait and see. I've heard the show involves the Borg, and I'm curious who that mysterious lady is from the ads, and how Data will be appearing in the show (since Data was destroyed in the movie 'Nemesis').

Nightfox

---
    þ Synchronet þ Vertrauen þ Home of Synchronet þ [vert/cvs/bbs].synchro.net
  • From Moondog@VERT/CAVEBBS to poindexter FORTRAN on Sat Jan 25 14:59:00 2020
    By: poindexter FORTRAN to Moondog on Wed Jan 15 2020 07:19 am

Before Cawley passed the torch over to the guy who does the Naruto voice acting, one of the extra new characters was Peter Kirk, Jim's nephew. I can imagine this addition was based on Gene's various notes.
    An ensign that happens to be the captain's nephew sounds like the inspiration for Wesley Crusher in TNG.

Wasn't he on Deneva in TOS? That planet that was attacked by the flying egg monsters?

... Don't avoid what is easy

Yes, he survived the attack of the spilled adhesive puddles.

---