• Neil Peart, Rush lyricist and drummer, dead at 67 :-(

From Digital Man@VERT to All on Fri Jan 10 17:09:18 2020
    Terribly sad: https://www.cnn.com/2020/01/10/entertainment/neil-peart-rush-drummer-death-trnd

digital man

Synchronet "Real Fact" #4:
    Synchronet version 3 is written mostly in C, with some C++, x86 ASM, and Pascal.
    Norco, CA WX: 58.7øF, 59.0% humidity, 3 mph E wind, 0.00 inches rain/24hrs

---
    þ Synchronet þ Vertrauen þ Home of Synchronet þ [vert/cvs/bbs].synchro.net
  • From Chickenhead@VERT to Digital Man on Fri Jan 10 17:25:38 2020
    Re: Neil Peart, Rush lyricist and drummer, dead at 67 :-(
    By: Digital Man to All on Fri Jan 10 2020 05:09 pm

Hard to believe or even conceive of...Rush is the sound track to my life, and now Neil is gone.

I always loved "Digital Man" the most off Signals. I was listening to "2112" yesterday for the first time in years.

Sad. RIP Mr. Peart, the poet of my life.

The AHK Gang! Live on Riot.im. When we feel like it.

---
  • From Nightfox@VERT/DIGDIST to Digital Man on Fri Jan 10 18:46:52 2020

Terribly sad: https://www.cnn.com/2020/01/10/entertainment/neil-peart-rush-drummer-death -trnd

I heard about that. Sad indeed. :( I saw them at my local venue for their 2015 farewell tour. It seems brain cancer comes on quick.. :(

"When I heard that he was gone
    I felt a shadow cross my heart"

Nightfox

---
    þ Synchronet þ Digital Distortion: digitaldistortionbbs.com
  • From Nightfox@VERT/DIGDIST to Chickenhead on Fri Jan 10 18:49:01 2020
    By: Chickenhead to Digital Man on Fri Jan 10 2020 05:25 pm

Hard to believe or even conceive of...Rush is the sound track to my life, and now Neil is gone.

I always loved "Digital Man" the most off Signals. I was listening to "2112" yesterday for the first time in years.

Sad. RIP Mr. Peart, the poet of my life.

I was introduced to Rush when I was 9 years old. My favorite Rush albums are Moving Pictures through Counterparts, though I like some songs before & after that period as well.

I'm planning to watch my Rush 2011 Time Machine tour blu-ray tonight.. I've been to a few Rush concerts, but their Time Machine tour was one I missed, and I was seriously considering going to see them for that tour.

Nightfox

---
  • From Gamgee@VERT/PALANT to Digital Man on Tue Jan 14 13:45:33 2020

Terribly sad: https://www.cnn.com/2020/01/10/entertainment/neil-peart-rush-d rummer-death-trnd

Here's another pretty good article with some details of his life that I hadn't heard before:

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-news/neil-peart-rush-obituary-936221/

---
    þ Synchronet þ Palantir BBS * palantirbbs.ddns.net * Pensacola, FL
  • From Chickenhead@VERT to Nightfox on Tue Jan 14 15:08:22 2020
    By: Nightfox to Chickenhead on Fri Jan 10 2020 06:49 pm

I wouldn't have considered myself a "fan" of Rush in the 80's, although I thought "The Body Electric" was interesting an I absolutely LOVED "Mystic Rhythms" (especially the video with the clockwork automata). I didn't become a "fan" until Roll the Bones when I was in college. I loved the hell out that album and I was off to the races after that.

I consider us fans lucky that we had Rush at all after 1997. The death of Neil's daughter on the damned 401 on her way to her first day at university, followed by his wife 10 months later, was awful and ended the band effectively. But Neil came back...if you want a good read, his "Ghost Rider" book is excellent and describes his healing process well (and also explains why Tarot cards were on the insert for Vapor Trails).

The final album, "Clockwork Angels" is really worth a listen. I have to feel that the "Headlong Flight" song is really Neil reflecting on his life..it just somehow fits. And it's a damn good album.

The AHK Gang! Live on Riot.im. When we feel like it.

---
  • From Nightfox@VERT/DIGDIST to Chickenhead on Wed Jan 15 09:52:58 2020
    By: Chickenhead to Nightfox on Tue Jan 14 2020 03:08 pm

I consider us fans lucky that we had Rush at all after 1997. The death of Neil's daughter on the damned 401 on her way to her first day at university, followed by his wife 10 months later, was awful and ended the band effectively. But Neil came back...if you want a good read, his "Ghost Rider" book is excellent and describes his healing process well (and also explains why Tarot cards were on the insert for Vapor Trails).

Yeah, that was sad. I remember reading about that and felt sad, and I thought Rush was going to break up for good after they took a hiaitus and Geddy Lee and Alex Lifeson released solo albums.

The final album, "Clockwork Angels" is really worth a listen. I have to feel that the "Headlong Flight" song is really Neil reflecting on his life..it just somehow fits. And it's a damn good album.

I bought Test For Techo when it came out, but that album never grew on me, and I couldn't really get into Rush's music very much from then on (though I liked some of Vapor Trails and some of their later songs).

Nightfox

---