• Cheap Cars

From Lupine Furmen@VERT/FURFOL to Dumas Walker on Fri Mar 6 11:07:26 2020
    Re: Re: Fake Landings
    By: Dumas Walker to DERISION on Wed Mar 04 2020 18:57:00

They didn't, up until fairly recently... the whole Cash for Clunkers
    nonsense t ok a fleet of servicable used cars off the market, driving
    up the prices of eve ything else...

I think that was actually the whole point... fuel the economy by getting rid of the cheaper sources of used cars and making the remaining ones more expensive. There are cars that don't even run that sell for way more than they should ever be worth now that there are fewer older, cheaper alternatives.

And that is REALLY hurting those of us that don't have a lot of money to spare, or youth looking to purchase their first vehicles.
    -+-

Lupine Furmen
    -Dallas Vinson
    Furmens Folly (FIDO 1:123/257) - telnet: furmenservices.net:23
    SSH: furmenservices.net:23222
    Before the Web - telnet: furmenservices.net:23232
    Legends of Yesteryear (FIDO 1:123/256) - telnet: furmenservices.net:23322
    Sound Source ]|[ - telnet: furmenservices.net:2323

Dallas

... If you can count your money you don't have a billion dollars.

---
    þ Synchronet þ Furmen's Folly - furmenservices.net:23
  • From Moondog@VERT/CAVEBBS to Lupine Furmen on Fri Mar 6 17:30:00 2020
    Re: Cheap Cars
    By: Lupine Furmen to Dumas Walker on Fri Mar 06 2020 11:07 am

And that is REALLY hurting those of us that don't have a lot of money to spa or youth looking to purchase their first vehicles.
    -+-

I question if someone who does not have alot of money should be buying
    a vehicle that isn't fuel efficient, unless it is a work truck. Of the vehilc es I saw turned in at the dealership, they were vehicles at the point in their lives where making them highway reliable would cost more than the vehicle's resale value. Tires, brakes, and hoses are consumable items expected to fail and easy to fix, however anything labor intensive that requires several hours to fix at $100 an hour.

---
    þ Synchronet þ The Cave BBS - Since 1992 - cavebbs.homeip.net
  • From Dumas Walker@VERT/CAPCITY2 to LUPINE FURMEN on Sat Mar 7 11:08:00 2020
    And that is REALLY hurting those of us that don't have a lot of money to spare,
    or youth looking to purchase their first vehicles.

I think a lot of folks fall into one of those categories. I am not the
    type that needs to keep up with the Joneses, so I normally buy used.
    However, the last time I went looking, a decent used car that would have
    cost me maybe $5k before cash-for-clunkers is now upwards of $15k. I could
    by a much newer car for not much more. :(

* SLMR 2.1a * Shake, a man of note, wrote so many things to quote.

---
    þ Synchronet þ CAPCITY2 * capcity2.synchro.net * Telnet/SSH:2022/Rlogin/HTTP
  • From poindexter FORTRAN@VERT/REALITY to Lupine Furmen on Sat Mar 7 07:13:00 2020
    Lupine Furmen wrote to Dumas Walker <=-

And that is REALLY hurting those of us that don't have a lot of money
    to spare, or youth looking to purchase their first vehicles.

It's almost as if the agenda of government is the transfer of wealth from
    this generation to older generations. Why buy a used junker in a private exchange when you can finance a new car and have a bank, automaker and their old, rich, white shareholders profit?

... Would you like to wake up from this dream?
    --- MultiMail/XT v0.52
    þ Synchronet þ realitycheckBBS -- http://realitycheckBBS.org
  • From poindexter FORTRAN@VERT/REALITY to Moondog on Sat Mar 7 07:18:00 2020
    Moondog wrote to Lupine Furmen <=-

a vehicle that isn't fuel efficient, unless it is a work truck.

It's all a matter of total cost of ownership. I did some numbers on the back of a napkin a few years back to see what buying a cheap gas guzzling used
    SUV would be compared to a new fuel-efficient car. Even given the ups and downs of fuel costs and living in a state with some of the highest fuel
    costs in the country, the break-even point between a new econobox and a couple-of-years-old SUV was a couple of years out.

I bought a lightly used SUV recently instead of new, I'm comfortable paying half of the cost of a new SUV against the risk of an out-of-warranty repair. If something catastrophic goes wrong, I'll have paid as much as a new car.

If not, I come out ahead.

If I buy a new car, there's no upside.

... What do you think of the guests?
    --- MultiMail/XT v0.52
  • From poindexter FORTRAN@VERT/REALITY to Dumas Walker on Sat Mar 7 20:13:00 2020
    Dumas Walker wrote to LUPINE FURMEN <=-

I think a lot of folks fall into one of those categories. I am not the type that needs to keep up with the Joneses, so I normally buy used. However, the last time I went looking, a decent used car that would
    have cost me maybe $5k before cash-for-clunkers is now upwards of $15k.
    I could by a much newer car for not much more. :(

Yeah, I've got a 16 year old son, and I'm looking for one of those $500 beaters that used to be common on Craigslist. Now they're all racing in the
    24 hour of Lemons series.

... Where is the edge?
    --- MultiMail/XT v0.52
  • From ryan@VERT/MONTEREY to poindexter FORTRAN on Sun Mar 8 00:53:00 2020

My girlfriend and I share a car because we don't drive much. I walk a few blocks to work (if I even go in), otherwise I travel frequently and work pays for flights/rentals/ubers. My gf drives a mile each way for work. Other than that, groceries and restaurants are the places we go, and we don't typically
    go far...nice thing about living in the Bay Area is everything is close,
    unless you want to take a weekend trip.

All that said, we happily lease a car. We're on our second lease and it's
    nice. We don't pay for maintenance, unless we need new tires. We drive less than 10k miles/year so we get a rather low rate for a nice brand new car. And every three years, we get a new one, and we turn the old one in, no questions asked.

I understand that it's silly to throw money away like that, but I don't think of a car as an investment, I think of it as a necessity that I'd like to have
    a few years, throw out and get a new one...sort of like a cell phone or
    tablet or something.

Then again, I have a '67 GTO parked and rising in value daily, so I guess I
    get the best of both worlds hehe.

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A45 2020/02/18 (Linux/64)
    * Origin: monterey bbs
  • From Rampage@VERT/SESTAR to poindexter FORTRAN on Sun Mar 8 13:35:20 2020
    Re: Re: Cheap Cars
    By: poindexter FORTRAN to Dumas Walker on Sat Mar 07 2020 20:13:00

Yeah, I've got a 16 year old son, and I'm looking for one of
    those $500 beaters that used to be common on Craigslist. Now
    they're all racing in the 24 hour of Lemons series.

i see what you did there LUL

)\/(ark

---
    þ Synchronet þ The SouthEast Star Mail HUB - SESTAR
  • From poindexter FORTRAN@VERT/REALITY to ryan on Sun Mar 8 10:07:00 2020
    ryan wrote to poindexter FORTRAN <=-

All that said, we happily lease a car. We're on our second lease and
    it's nice. We don't pay for maintenance, unless we need new tires. We drive less than 10k miles/year so we get a rather low rate for a nice brand new car. And every three years, we get a new one, and we turn the old one in, no questions asked.

I understand that it's silly to throw money away like that, but I don't think of a car as an investment, I think of it as a necessity that I'd like to have a few years, throw out and get a new one...sort of like a cell phone or tablet or something.

When I was in college at SFSU, I owned a beater car. Once I started working,
    I took MUNI everywhere, and my car became a weekend thing. Between gas, insurance and parking tickets, my friends who rented cars when they needed them ended up coming out ahead.

--- MultiMail/XT v0.52
  • From MRO@VERT/BBSESINF to ryan on Sun Mar 8 14:58:20 2020
    By: ryan to poindexter FORTRAN on Sun Mar 08 2020 12:53 am

blocks to work (if I even go in), otherwise I travel frequently and work pay for flights/rentals/ubers. My gf drives a mile each way for work. Other than that, groceries and restaurants are the places we go, and we don't typically go far...nice thing about living in the Bay Area is everything is close, unless you want to take a weekend trip.

driving just under 100 miles a day here with my 2 jobs and i'm now living in milwaukee.

---
    þ Synchronet þ ::: BBSES.info - free BBS services :::
  • From Derision@VERT/AMIGAC to Lupine Furmen on Wed Mar 11 13:38:46 2020
    By: Lupine Furmen to Dumas Walker on Fri Mar 06 2020 11:07:26

I think that was actually the whole point... fuel the economy by getting rid of the cheaper sources of used cars and making the remaining ones more expensive. There are cars that don't even run that sell for way more than they should ever be worth now that there are fewer older, cheaper alternatives.

And that is REALLY hurting those of us that don't have a lot of money to spare, or youth looking to purchase their first vehicles.

This right here. My first car was an awful '78 Buick Skylark that I got for a whopping $100 in 1995. It had problems but I'd seen peers with brand new Mustangs and Mercedes and such as their first cars, and they all inevitably get it banged up or something, so we wanted to go cheap yet reliable, with no worries if it got a little dinged up.

My girlfriend's nephew is looking at his first car now, and they can't find anything remotely similar to the beater I had below four grand which is ridiculous, even accounting for 25 years of inflation. Meanwhile I see Jeeps that are essentially just tubs with no wheels or engines going for $5000 as "projects," and I just watched a YouTube video where they were predicting that the old Cherokee XJ should start pulling in prices around $16k for fair condition. Which, I believe, is actually *more* than they sold for originally.

---
    þ Synchronet þ Amiga City - The BBS for the Amiga - more than 3,500+ files
  • From Derision@VERT/AMIGAC to Moondog on Wed Mar 11 13:47:15 2020
    By: Moondog to Lupine Furmen on Fri Mar 06 2020 17:30:00

a vehicle that isn't fuel efficient, unless it is a work truck.

It's easy for most of us to sit back and say that, but for a lot of people, a vehicle is required transportation, and the fuel efficiency isn't really that important. Someone who is poor and needs to get to a job or travel to take care of a family member or something generally doesn't have the extra money -- or the credit -- to get something newer and more fuel efficient, so a cranky old minivan or an Oldsmobile from the Carter administration is better than nothing, even if they're running on a quarter tank of gas 90% of the time.

---
  • From JIMMY ANDERSON@VERT/OTHETA to RYAN on Tue Mar 10 09:59:00 2020
    RYAN wrote to POINDEXTER FORTRAN <=-

Which is why I'm taking three weeks to fix my brakes myself
    on my 260k miles 2006 Chevy Silverado instead of buying a
    newer one and having a payment! Other than tires, gas & oil,
    this is all I've had to spend on it in about a year! And this
    is costing me about $400 to do the master cylinder, front brakes
    and back brakes (back have NEVER been serviced). Would cost over
    $1000 to take it somewhere to do...

I understand that it's silly to throw money away like that, but I don't think of a car as an investment, I think of it as a necessity that I'd like to have a few years, throw out and get a new one...sort of like a cell phone or tablet or something.

Yep - gotta have it - it will wear out - we will want something more modern.
    A cell phone is a good analagy!

Then again, I have a '67 GTO parked and rising in value daily, so I
    guess I get the best of both worlds hehe.

NICE! LOL

... If at first you don't succeed, call it version 1.0
    --- MultiMail/Mac v0.52
    þ wcQWK 8.0 ÷ Omicron Theta * Memphis, TN * winserver.org
  • From MRO@VERT/BBSESINF to Derision on Wed Mar 11 21:21:16 2020
    By: Derision to Moondog on Wed Mar 11 2020 01:47 pm

It's easy for most of us to sit back and say that, but for a lot of people, vehicle is required transportation, and the fuel efficiency isn't really tha important. Someone who is poor and needs to get to a job or travel to take c of a family member or something generally doesn't have the extra money -- or the credit -- to get something newer and more fuel efficient, so a cranky ol minivan or an Oldsmobile from the Carter administration is better than nothi even if they're running on a quarter tank of gas 90% of the time.

yeah, only when i started making decent money did i think of getting a car that's more fuel efficient.

before then i had a good used ford suv that is still serving me and before then i just got what i could afford.

---
    þ Synchronet þ ::: BBSES.info - free BBS services :::
  • From poindexter FORTRAN@VERT/REALITY to Lupine Furmen on Thu Mar 12 07:28:00 2020
    Lupine Furmen wrote to All <=-

Yeah, My first car was a 73 Mercury Comet GT that my dad bought me and paid like 4 or 500 for it. It needed work, but that was the whole
    point. My parents believed that both my sister and I should be able to
    do our own maintenance on our vehicles. So the semester after I got the car I took Auto-Shop in HS and learned how to make my own repairs.

The two classes I wish I took in high school are auto shop and typing. They both were looked down upon in HS, but in retrospect, getting free shop time
    to fix your car was worth a lot!

... Faced with a choice, do both
    --- MultiMail/XT v0.52
  • From Moondog@VERT/CAVEBBS to JIMMY ANDERSON on Fri Mar 13 22:02:00 2020
    By: JIMMY ANDERSON to RYAN on Tue Mar 10 2020 09:59 am

Yep - gotta have it - it will wear out - we will want something more modern. A cell phone is a good analagy!

Then again, I have a '67 GTO parked and rising in value daily, so I guess I get the best of both worlds hehe.

NICE! LOL

... If at first you don't succeed, call it version 1.0

Recently in an off roading bog I read about a trend in truck buyers buying fairly clean 1970's era GM trucks from out west or down south, and stripping them down and rebuilding them frame up cheaper than buying a new truck.
    Loads of aftermarket and spare parts, and as long as you're not throwing old hoses, brake lines and other deadlined worn parts back in, you can put
    together a reliable everyday driver. Way too often builders get a bit silly a nd stray off the clasic daily driver concept and build something that is neither cost effective to run or wears out parts faster.

I wonder if this formula can be carried over to the high mileage warrior cars such as Hondas and Toyotas? Will a builder get return of investment if they did a restore in order to sell it versus keeping it?

---
  • From Derision@VERT/AMIGAC to Lupine Furmen on Sun Mar 15 00:14:19 2020
    By: Lupine Furmen to All on Thu Mar 12 2020 01:53:57

Yeah, My first car was a 73 Mercury Comet GT that my dad bought me and paid like 4 or 500 for it. It needed work, but that was the whole point. My parents believed that both my sister and I should be able to do our own maintenance on our vehicles. So the semester after I got the car I took Auto-Shop in HS and learned how to make my own repairs. I really miss that car and wish I still had it, even though that little 302 V8 would probably be killing me with todays gas prices, especially considering that everytime I put gas in I would have to add a lead addative since it ran on REGULAR gas.

I learned so much about cars just trying to keep my old '78 Skylark going. There was so much wrong with it, and I swear I had the hood open at least twice a day. But now, swapping out a water pump on the side of the road or rigging up a temporary brake system at a rest stop doesn't phase me at all.

---
  • From Derision@VERT/AMIGAC to Moondog on Sun Mar 15 00:19:03 2020
    By: Moondog to JIMMY ANDERSON on Fri Mar 13 2020 22:02:00

Recently in an off roading bog I read about a trend in truck buyers buying fairly clean 1970's era GM trucks from out west or down south, and stripping them down and rebuilding them frame up cheaper than buying a new truck. Loads of aftermarket and spare parts, and as long as you're not throwing old hoses, brake lines and other deadlined worn parts back in, you can put together a reliable everyday driver. Way too often builders get a bit silly a nd stray off the clasic daily driver concept and build something that is neither cost effective to run or wears out parts faster.

I wonder if this formula can be carried over to the high mileage warrior cars such as Hondas and Toyotas? Will a builder get return of investment if they did a restore in order to sell it versus keeping it?

This reminds me of the old GM G-Body platform and later the S-10 trucks (when they discontinued the G-Body they switched the factories to producing S-10s, so they share a lot of the frame, attachment points, etc.). They had mounting points for just about every GM engine/trans combo you could think of, so getting an old V6 Monte Carlo or Blazer, and assuming that the frame and body aren't rotted out, throwing in new components is simple and often much cheaper than getting something new or trying to repair what's already in there.

---
  • From poindexter FORTRAN@VERT/REALITY to Derision on Sun Mar 15 07:41:00 2020
    Derision wrote to Lupine Furmen <=-

I learned so much about cars just trying to keep my old '78 Skylark
    going. There was so much wrong with it, and I swear I had the hood open
    at least twice a day. But now, swapping out a water pump on the side of the road or rigging up a temporary brake system at a rest stop doesn't phase me at all.

Cars were easier to work on back then - carbs, distributors, points, voltage regulators...spark plugs that last 50K or so. You had the hood open, but you could fix it without a $20K diagnostic computer.

... Slow preparation, fast execution
    --- MultiMail/XT v0.52
  • From poindexter FORTRAN@VERT/REALITY to Derision on Sun Mar 15 07:44:00 2020
    Derision wrote to Moondog <=-

combo you could think of, so getting an old V6 Monte Carlo or Blazer,
    and assuming that the frame and body aren't rotted out, throwing in new components is simple and often much cheaper than getting something new
    or trying to repair what's already in there.

Preppers and ex-military keep talking about CUC-Vs, one model was an old Blazer with 24v electronics and a rock solid diesel V8. Sounds like a keeper if you can find one that's in good shape and don't mind driving a 4WD that looks like a military vehicle.

... Where are we? When are we? Is this now?
    --- MultiMail/XT v0.52
  • From Moondog@VERT/CAVEBBS to poindexter FORTRAN on Sun Mar 15 22:50:00 2020
    By: poindexter FORTRAN to Derision on Sun Mar 15 2020 07:44 am

Derision wrote to Moondog <=-

combo you could think of, so getting an old V6 Monte Carlo or Blazer, and assuming that the frame and body aren't rotted out, throwing in new components is simple and often much cheaper than getting something new or trying to repair what's already in there.

Preppers and ex-military keep talking about CUC-Vs, one model was an old Blazer with 24v electronics and a rock solid diesel V8. Sounds like a keeper if you can find one that's in good shape and don't mind driving a 4WD that looks like a military vehicle.

... Where are we? When are we? Is this now?

You can always repaint them. Diesels have 2-3 times the lifespan of a
    gasoline engine. You can alos depend on the armed forces to pressure wash vehicles clean if they're in harsh environments.

---
  • From poindexter FORTRAN@VERT/REALITY to Moondog on Mon Mar 16 07:10:00 2020
    Moondog wrote to poindexter FORTRAN <=-

You can always repaint them. Diesels have 2-3 times the lifespan of a gasoline engine.

I love diesels - Drove a Rabbit Diesel in college, probably put 200K on it,
    by just changing the oil, brakes and tires.

Yep, keep the oil changed and they run forever - partly because, I'm told, they're made for such high compression ratios needed to ignite the diesel without using spark plugs, something like 23:1.

... Have you ever asked a question you weren't supposed to ask?
    --- MultiMail/XT v0.52
  • From Moondog@VERT/CAVEBBS to poindexter FORTRAN on Tue Mar 17 23:01:00 2020
    By: poindexter FORTRAN to Moondog on Mon Mar 16 2020 07:10 am

Moondog wrote to poindexter FORTRAN <=-

You can always repaint them. Diesels have 2-3 times the lifespan of a gasoline engine.

I love diesels - Drove a Rabbit Diesel in college, probably put 200K on it, by just changing the oil, brakes and tires.

Yep, keep the oil changed and they run forever - partly because, I'm told, they're made for such high compression ratios needed to ignite the diesel without using spark plugs, something like 23:1.

... Have you ever asked a question you weren't supposed to ask?

They're also built heavier to withstand the heavy compression. A new
    starter will also cost you much more than one for a gasoline engine. The
    USMC adopted a diesel motorcycle so it could drink from the same tap as
    every other vehicle, and there's no such thing as kick starting it.

---