• New ham on the air.. look out!

From Diamond Dave@VERT/DMINE to All on Thu Jan 19 22:26:01 2012
    Well, after many years of putting it off, I finally got my tech license about w week ago. (Call sign KK4GBC - I'll probably get a vanity call since that's so hard to remember and say on the air)

I bought a really cheap (but surprisingly good) HT called a Wouxun KG-UV3D that does 2 meters & 440, and has dual VFOs so I can monitor the local repater while it scans other nearby repeaters.

I'm not really "new" to ham radio per se, as I've been a listener to both 2 meters and HF for a number of years (I own a shortwave radio and a "police band" radio from the 70s), plus my older brother is an Extra class ham (WB7TVS) and influenced me to become an electrical engineer 20 years ago.

So I'm looking forward to getting my General license real soon and this spring (after I get a new roof on the house) putting up some HF antennas and getting a good HF rig. Any pointers as to what kind of moderately priced and moderatel sized HF antenna (10 meters, possibly 20 & 40 meters as well) that you'd recommend? Also, what kinds of HF rigs should I be on the lookout for? Both new and used.

To paraphrase a common quote: "Long time listener, first time ham"

*** Diamond Dave KK4GBC ***

---
    þ Synchronet þ Diamond Mine Online - bbs.dmine.net - Fredericksburg, VA USA
  • From Deuce@VERT/SYNCNIX to Diamond Dave on Fri Jan 20 01:58:57 2012
    Re: New ham on the air.. look out!
    By: Diamond Dave to All on Thu Jan 19 2012 04:26 pm

So I'm looking forward to getting my General license real soon and this spring (after I get a new roof on the house) putting up some HF antennas
    and getting a good HF rig. Any pointers as to what kind of moderately
    priced and moderatel sized HF antenna (10 meters, possibly 20 & 40 meters
    as well) that you'd recommend? Also, what kinds of HF rigs should I be on the lookout for? Both new and used.

I would likely suggest a hexbeam kit as a multiband directional HF antenna and a doublet for low gain.

As for HF rigs, I couldn't possibly reccomend something without knowing you operating style. I use a Kenwood TS-520 myself, but it's not something I would
    reccomend to most operators. Likely something in the $400 range with power supply and tuner... 440s, 761s, that sort of thing.

The TS-120/130/140 are easy to operatr rigs if you don't want memories and can be had slightly cheaper.

If you DO want lots of memories, I would strongly reccomend buying new. The depreciation on used rigs is very slow, so a five year old rig will often cost over 80% of the price of a new rig.

73 and hope to see you down the log - K6BSD

---
    http://DuckDuckGo.com/ a better search engine that respects your privacy.
    þ Synchronet þ My Brand-New BBS (All the cool SysOps run STOCK!)
  • From Cellguy@VERT/MSBGTN01 to Diamond Dave on Fri Jan 20 15:51:56 2012

Definatly go for your General then give it a year and go for Extra. I
    started in 1994 while I was in High School, I got my General in 08 and extra
    in 09. Got my VE for ARRL last year. I encurage you also to look into Echolink.

After a while your call letter wills be like your name, hard to forget. When
    I got my Extra I refused to change my call becasue I was known by KE4KQI for years... so why change that.

-ANdy KE4KQI, KJ4TKV.org
    Well, after many years of putting it off,
    I finally got my tech license abou
    week ago. (Call sign KK4GBC - I'll probably get a vanity call since that's hard to remember and say on the air)

I bought a really cheap (but surprisingly good) HT called a Wouxun KG-UV3D t does 2 meters & 440, and has dual VFOs so I can monitor the local repater wh it scans other nearby repeaters.

I'm not really "new" to ham radio per se, as I've been a listener to both 2 meters and HF for a number of years (I own a shortwave radio and a "police band" radio from the 70s), plus my older brother is an Extra class ham (WB7T and influenced me to become an electrical engineer 20 years ago.

So I'm looking forward to getting my General license real soon and this spri (after I get a new roof on the house) putting up some HF antennas and gettin good HF rig. Any pointers as to what kind of moderately priced and moderatel sized HF antenna (10 meters, possibly 20 & 40 meters as well) that you'd recommend? Also, what kinds of HF rigs should I be on the lookout for? Both and used.

---
    þ Synchronet þ * Sent from Slate Hell BBS, KJ4TKV.ORG (North East Tennessee Repeater Asc.)
  • From Digital Man@VERT to Diamond Dave on Fri Jan 20 21:58:39 2012

Well, after many years of putting it off, I finally got my tech license about w week ago. (Call sign KK4GBC - I'll probably get a vanity call
    since that's so hard to remember and say on the air)

Welcome. I also have a dual-band Chinese HT (Quansheng TG-UV2), which I'm very happy with. My HF rig is still just a modified Pres. Washington base (and a 100W linear) and an Antron-99, but when conditions are right, I get all over with it.

73, WX6YYZ

digital man

Synchronet "Real Fact" #24:
    The Digital Dynamics company ceased day-to-day opperations in late 1995.
    Norco, CA WX: 64.8øF, 50.0% humidity, 0 mph WNW wind, 0.00 inches rain/24hrs

---
    þ Synchronet þ Vertrauen þ Home of Synchronet þ telnet://vert.synchro.net
  • From Corey@VERT/TSGC to Digital Man on Fri Jan 20 22:47:52 2012
    By: Digital Man to Diamond Dave on Fri Jan 20 2012 03:58 pm

Subject: New ham on the air.. look out!
    @MSGID: <4F19FFAF.4201.dove-ham@vert.synchro.net>
    @REPLY: <4F188A69.2089.dove-ham@dmine.net>
    @TZ: 41e0

Well, after many years of putting it off, I finally got my tech license about w week ago. (Call sign KK4GBC - I'll probably get a vanity call since that's so hard to remember and say on the air)

Welcome. I also have a dual-band Chinese HT (Quansheng TG-UV2), which I'm ve happy with. My HF rig is still just a modified Pres. Washington base (and a 100W linear) and an Antron-99, but when conditions are right, I get all over with it.

73, WX6YYZ

digital man

Synchronet "Real Fact" #24:
    The Digital Dynamics company ceased day-to-day opperations in late 1995. Norco, CA WX: 64.8øF, 50.0% humidity, 0 mph WNW wind, 0.00 inches rain/24hrs

how about a spam radio?
    is a hobbist in germany a black forest ham?

"Practise safe Lunch, Use a Condiment"

---
    þ Synchronet þ Three Stooges Gentlemens Club - Las Vegas, Nv - tsgc.dyndns.org
  • From Diamond Dave@VERT/DMINE to Cellguy on Sat Jan 21 03:52:21 2012
    By: Cellguy to Diamond Dave on Fri Jan 20 2012 09:51 am

Definatly go for your General then give it a year and go for Extra. I started in 1994 while I was in High School, I got my General in 08 and extra in 09. Got my VE for ARRL last year. I encurage you also to look into Echolink.

Already signed up for it and got a headset for it :)

After a while your call letter wills be like your name, hard to forget. Whe I got my Extra I refused to change my call becasue I was known by KE4KQI for years... so why change that.

I've been looking for a vanity call with my initials. Wish I could find one for my district (4 - mid atlantic) but can't seem to find one.

My older brother has been a ham since 1977 and still keeps his novice calls (WB7TVS). Primary reason is that his best friend who got him started in CB and later ham radio had a call one letter up (WB7TVT) and passed away a few years ago.

Dave
    KK4GBC

---
  • From Diamond Dave@VERT/DMINE to Digital Man on Sat Jan 21 03:52:55 2012
    By: Digital Man to Diamond Dave on Fri Jan 20 2012 03:58 pm

Welcome. I also have a dual-band Chinese HT (Quansheng TG-UV2), which I'm ve happy with. My HF rig is still just a modified Pres. Washington base (and a 100W linear) and an Antron-99, but when conditions are right, I get all over with it.

73, WX6YYZ

Thanks Rob... BTW, love your vanity call :)

---
  • From N8ERC@VERT/THEMACHI to Diamond Dave on Sat Jan 21 06:44:53 2012
    Well, after many years of putting it off, I finally got my tech license about w week ago. (Call sign KK4GBC - I'll probably get a vanity call

Congrats and welcome to ham radio!

Any rig that works and a piece of wire keeps me happy but my FT-101B is still
    a favorite, next is the IC 706mkIIg. With a good tuner an antron 99 or similar antenna can usually do 6 10 12 15 17 and 20... not great but good enough

73 N8ERC

Listening since 1963... just couldn't get the code good enough... got my tech ticket the first saturday after no code.

---
    þ Synchronet þ TheMachine - n8erc.ham-radio-op.net
  • From Jake@VERT/DRAKE to Diamond Dave on Tue Feb 7 16:31:17 2012
    Hi Dave,

I'm a little late to the party, but I just wanted to tell you congrats on your license. I'm a fairly new HAM myself so I was asking the same questions not that long ago. I ended up getting an IC-718 and a Hustler 4BTV for my HF rig.
    I don't have anything bad to say about this setup and it didn't break the
    bank. I work some SSB, but I spend most of my on-air time working the digital modes and this rig has worked great for that. If you have the space, a very inexpensive wire dipole or fan dipole will get you a long way. Congratulations again on your achievement, I hope to catch you on the air!

Cheers,
    Jake - KE5ZZN

Well, after many years of putting it off, I finally got my tech license
    about w week ago. (Call sign KK4GBC - I'll probably get a vanity call

I bought a really cheap (but surprisingly good) HT called a Wouxun KG-UV3D that does 2 meters & 440, and has dual VFOs so I can monitor the local repater while it scans other nearby repeaters.

I'm not really "new" to ham radio per se, as I've been a listener to both 2 meters and HF for a number of years (I own a shortwave radio and a "police band" radio from the 70s), plus my older brother is an Extra class ham (WB7TVS) and influenced me to become an electrical engineer 20 years ago. So I'm looking forward to getting my General license real soon and this spring (after I get a new roof on the house) putting up some HF antennas
    and getting a good HF rig. Any pointers as to what kind of moderately
    priced and moderatel sized HF antenna (10 meters, possibly 20 & 40 meters
    as well) that you'd recommend? Also, what kinds of HF rigs should I be on the lookout for? Both new and used.

---
    þ Synchronet þ Diamond Mine Online - bbs.dmine.net - Fredericksburg, VA
    USA

---
    þ Synchronet þ Drakefire BBS - drakefire.dyndns.org
  • From John Guillory@VERT to Jake on Wed Feb 8 04:21:00 2012
    Jake wrote to Diamond Dave <=-

I'm starting to pass the pratice test nearly every time, so it won't be long and I'll
    be taking the test to get my license. For the other guy looking for pratice materials,
    Try this link...

http://w9pe.us/ Search for HAM CRAM, I downloaded a power point slide show that helps you

learn the test in 8 hours...

Incidently, anyone have QSO Cards printed up? And do you keep a log? Anyone got templates for either?
    I'm thinking of keeping at least two different logs, one log for interesting things I hear and what frequencies.
    The other for people I contact, frequency, time/date, what said.... I read you should make note when another
    ham is using your station....
    ... DalekDOS v(overflow): (I)Obey (V)ision impaired (E)xterminate
    --- MultiMail/Win32 v0.49
  • From Jake@VERT/DRAKE to John Guillory on Wed Feb 8 05:57:40 2012
    Re: Re: New ham on the air.. look out!
    By: John Guillory to Jake on Tue Feb 07 2012 10:21 pm

I have had cards printed from cheapqsls.com a few times and they have come
    out great. Ham Radio Deluxe is a great free software package for logging as well as an interface for station control and most digital modes. Good luck on your test, it will look very much like your practice tests, so if you feel comfortable there, you will be good to go.

Cheers,
    Jake - KE5ZZN

I'm starting to pass the pratice test nearly every time, so it won't be long and I'll
    be taking the test to get my license. For the other guy looking for pratice materials,
    Try this link...

http://w9pe.us/ Search for HAM CRAM, I downloaded a power point slide show that helps you

Incidently, anyone have QSO Cards printed up? And do you keep a log? Anyon got templates for either?
    I'm thinking of keeping at least two different logs, one log for interesting things I hear and what frequencies.
    The other for people I contact, frequency, time/date, what said.... I read should make note when another
    ... DalekDOS v(overflow): (I)Obey (V)ision impaired (E)xterminate

---
    þ Synchronet þ Drakefire BBS - drakefire.dyndns.org
  • From Digital Man@VERT to John Guillory on Wed Feb 8 06:36:56 2012

Jake wrote to Diamond Dave <=-

I'm starting to pass the pratice test nearly every time, so it won't be
    long and I'll
    be taking the test to get my license. For the other guy looking for
    pratice materials,
    Try this link...

http://w9pe.us/ Search for HAM CRAM, I downloaded a power point slide
    show that helps you

Incidently, anyone have QSO Cards printed up?

I made my own cards in MS Publisher and printed them myself on my photo printer. They're pretty nice.

And do you keep a log?

I just use an excel spreadsheet (I sound like a MSFT spokesperson here!).

Anyone got templates for either?

Sorry, I don't, but I think I remember seeing some online (they they weren't very good).

I'm thinking of keeping at least two different logs, one log for
    interesting things I hear and what frequencies.
    The other for people I contact, frequency, time/date, what said.... I read you should make note when another

Good idea!

digital man

Synchronet "Real Fact" #73:
    Vertrauen went online (as a WWIV BBS running on a 10MHz PC-XT clone) in 1988. Norco, CA WX: 55.4øF, 56.0% humidity, 5 mph SE wind, 0.00 inches rain/24hrs

---
  • From Deuce@VERT/SYNCNIX to John Guillory on Wed Feb 8 07:07:37 2012

Incidently, anyone have QSO Cards printed up? And do you keep a log?

I haven't printed QSO cards (though I have recieved some) and I do keep of log of non-net non-tuneup transmissions.

The other for people I contact, frequency, time/date, what said.... I read you should make note when another ham is using your station....

So that if the FCC asks you why you were breaking the laws, you can blame the other ham.

---
    http://DuckDuckGo.com/ a better search engine that respects your privacy.
    þ Synchronet þ My Brand-New BBS (All the cool SysOps run STOCK!)
  • From John Guillory@VERT to Deuce on Thu Feb 9 06:34:00 2012
    Deuce wrote to John Guillory <=-
    The other for people I contact, frequency, time/date, what said.... I read you should make note when another ham is using your station....

So that if the FCC asks you why you were breaking the laws, you can
    blame the other ham.
    Don't know if this is a reason or not, but I saw it on a test....

If you let your license expire and your in your 2-year grace period, but have records of you operating a ham
    radio you don't have to re-take the test.... I kind of figured you don't really need the logs to not need to
    retest in the 2-year grace, but having one wouldn't hurt! Either way, best bet is to just transmit on your
    own radio and not let anyone else on your radio.... But still a log is a good thing....

... The number you have dailed...Nine-one-one...has been changed.
    --- MultiMail/Win32 v0.49
  • From Morrand@VERT/INFPT to John Guillory on Fri Feb 10 01:33:29 2012
    By: John Guillory to Deuce on Thu Feb 09 2012 12:34 am

Don't know if this is a reason or not, but I saw it on a test....

If you let your license expire and your in your 2-year grace period, but hav records of you operating a ham
    radio you don't have to re-take the test....

Well, no, since if you can prove you were operating without a license, chances are that no test is going to get you away from the Unlicensed Operation
    ticket that they'll be glad to hand you. (Not that the FCC's got time to worry about something like that, beyond having the computer send a "that's naughty" letter.)

Conventional wisdom is that a log is good for contesting, RFI issues, and keeping track of experimenting. I log to help with QSL management too. And it's just nice to look back from time to time and see where your RF has gone, and it's a good motivator to get back on the air after a dry spell.

------
    Morrand
    Sysop, The Inflection Point BBS

---
    þ Synchronet þ The Inflection Point BBS - smallest in Chicago! telnet:amorriseng.com