• AX.25 packet radio & Synchronet

From echicken@VERT/ECBBS to Phantomrage on Tue May 1 03:35:16 2012
    So, we talked in Synchronet Sysops and via email about some packet-related stuff. KD8NCV was also asking some related questions in here recently. I added a bunch of files to the Synchronet CVS (cvs.synchro.net) today that may be of use.

Relative to the root of the CVS, the files I've added are:

ctrl/kiss.ini
    exec/ax25call.js
    exec/ax25tunnel.js
    exec/packet-bbs.js
    exec/load/ax25defs.js
    exec/load/kissAX25lib.js

You configure your TNC(s) in kiss.ini, which is fairly straightforward. The TNC(s) will obviously need to be placed in KISS mode before they'll work with any of the above.

For your purposes (allowing telnet users to place calls using your TNC,) ax25call.js is the script that you'll be running. You launch it with three arguments: the name of the TNC to use for the call (this is the name of a section from kiss.ini), the callsign of the station to call, and the SSID of that station, eg:

bbs.exec("?ax25call.js pk88 ve3xec 2");

This would mean that there's a section of kiss.ini that looks something like:

[pk88]
    callsign = mycall
    ssid = 0
    serialPort = COM1
    baudRate = 2400

and that you want to call AX.25 station VE3XEC-2. (If you wanted to just call VE3XEC with no SSID, you could specify '0' for the SSID.)

Now, this script assumes that the user who's launching it is licensed and that you the sysop have populated the "Comment" field for that user with their callsign. (Their callsign will override whatever you've specified as the callsign for that TNC in kiss.ini.)

The AX.25 library I've written still has some bugs. Connections will recover from errors sometimes, sometimes not so much - I'm working on finishing up that part of the code. So, it's not a finished product and it may not be totally usable for you yet. However, if you're interested in testing it and letting me know what happens, it would be a great help.

(ax25tunnel.js and packet-bbs.js are pieces of what will eventually become a packet BBS interface for Synchronet. The other files, in exec/load, aren't anything you'd use directly, but are required to make this other stuff "work" to the extent that it does.)

echicken
    electronic chicken bbs - bbs.electronicchicken.com - 416-273-7230

---
    þ Synchronet þ electronic chicken bbs - bbs.electronicchicken.com
  • From Phantomrage@VERT/PRS to echicken on Wed May 2 23:07:15 2012
    So, we talked in Synchronet Sysops and via email about some packet-related stuff.

echicken

Snip all the above...

I see the action now, that I got my BBS back to working on Dove-Net since I
    was set to node 100 but I killed off the other nodes and made the BBS a 20
    node system...

Any how, back on topic.

I have the basic TNC .js setup and working on the BBS here, and am working on getting the other .js scripts to work as well.

Thanks!

PhantomRage Studios BBS!

---
    þ Synchronet þ PhantomRage Studios: Telnet://phantomrage.org
  • From Phantomrage@VERT/PRS to echicken on Wed May 2 23:15:53 2012
    So, we talked in Synchronet Sysops and via email about some packet-related stuff. KD8NCV was also asking some related questions in here recently. I added a bunch of files to the Synchronet CVS (cvs.synchro.net) today that may be of use.

I had a thought and that scares me....

If we could get all the TNC enabled BBSes to join, and have links to each
    other like say a menu that telgates to the other board, then at least the packet hams will have a reason to roam around and call more the one BBS....

I will stop thinking now....

PhantomRage Studios BBS!

---
  • From John Guillory@VERT/MAINLINE to Phantomrage on Thu May 3 11:10:18 2012
    Re: Re: AX.25 packet radio & Synchronet
    By: Phantomrage to echicken on Wed May 02 2012 06:15 pm

If we could get all the TNC enabled BBSes to join, and have links to each other like say a menu that telgates to the other board, then at least the packet hams will have a reason to roam around and call more the one
    BBS....
    I will be calling soon...

---
    þ Synchronet þ Roach Guts -- kingcoder.net
  • From echicken@VERT/ECBBS to Phantomrage on Thu May 3 16:02:27 2012
    By: Phantomrage to echicken on Wed May 02 2012 18:07:15

I have the basic TNC .js setup and working on the BBS here, and am working o getting the other .js scripts to work as well.

Which script is it that you've got working - ax25call.js?

The other two (runnable) scripts are ax25tunnel.js and packet-bbs.js, which do work but don't do very much at the moment. I can tell you how to set them up, but unless you have two TNCs there isn't much point. Right now the packet BBS script just logs you in and then echoes back everything you send in.

echicken

---
  • From Phantomrage@VERT/PRS to echicken on Thu May 3 20:20:36 2012
    Which script is it that you've got working - ax25call.js?

I setup the ax25call.js and it shows the screen. But at this point I have not been able to get it to connect or work the TNC...

I am thinking it programs the TNC to fast?

The first one you came up with is the most stable and I have that as a door
    and use it every day...

But so far, been trying to get ax25call to work...

PhantomRage Studios BBS!

---
  • From Phantomrage@VERT/PRS to echicken on Thu May 3 22:35:35 2012
    The AX.25 library I've written still has some bugs. Connections will recover from errors sometimes, sometimes not so much - I'm working on finishing up that part of the code. So, it's not a finished product and it may not be totally usable for you yet. However, if you're interested in testing it and letting me know what happens, it would be a great help.

A time limit in the door may be needed... I seen a connection in the stable version for over a hour with no activity....

Since only one person at a time can use it, we may have to limit the amount of time it can be used per session?

I tried to set the time option in the door menu, but it did not kick the user after 30 mins...

PhantomRage Studios BBS!

---
  • From echicken@VERT/ECBBS to Phantomrage on Fri May 4 15:14:58 2012
    By: Phantomrage to echicken on Thu May 03 2012 15:20:36

I setup the ax25call.js and it shows the screen. But at this point I have n been able to get it to connect or work the TNC...

I am thinking it programs the TNC to fast?

Do you have a "kiss.ini" file in your sbbs/ctrl/ directory? That's where you configure the TNC, including which serial port it's on and the baud rate between computer and TNC. If the baud rate set there is correct, too fast shouldn't be a problem.

Is the TNC definitely in KISS mode?

echicken

---
  • From echicken@VERT/ECBBS to Phantomrage on Fri May 4 15:19:33 2012
    By: Phantomrage to echicken on Thu May 03 2012 17:35:35

A time limit in the door may be needed... I seen a connection in the stable version for over a hour with no activity....

Since only one person at a time can use it, we may have to limit the amount time it can be used per session?

I tried to set the time option in the door menu, but it did not kick the use after 30 mins...

Was that the "Monitor Time Left" option on the external, or was it the "Maximum Time" option? The latter won't do anything in this case - it just adds a value to the drop file for the door, and in this case there isn't one. The former does claim to disconnect the user when their time runs out (however, I've never had a reason to try this, so don't know if it does or doesn't work.)

echicken

---
  • From Phantomrage@VERT/PRS to echicken on Sat May 5 00:33:16 2012

Was that the "Monitor Time Left" option on the external, or was it the "Maximum Time" option? The latter won't do anything in this case -

That explains it.....

I will give it a try.

PhantomRage Studios BBS!

---
  • From Phantomrage@VERT/PRS to echicken on Sat May 5 00:43:00 2012
    Do you have a "kiss.ini" file in your sbbs/ctrl/ directory? That's where you configure the TNC, including which serial port it's on and the baud
    rate between computer and TNC. If the baud rate set there is correct, too fast shouldn't be a problem.

Yes, and setup the same way the first script was. COM1 and 2400 Baud, PK88 as the name.

Is the TNC definitely in KISS mode?

100% not sure about this one. Let me see if I can paste a display Z here... --------
    DISPLAY A,C,I,L,M,T,Z
    cmd:display z
    CONNECT Link state is: DISCONNECTED
    UNPROTO CQ
    8BITCONV OFF
    ACRDISP 80
    ACRPACK ON
    AFILTER OFF
    ALFDISP ON
    ALFPACK OFF
    AWLEN 8
    AX25L2V2 ON
    AXDELAY 1 (10 msec.)
    AXHANG 0 (000 msec.)
    BBSMSGS ON
    BEACON EVERY 90 (900 sec.)
    BKONDEL ON
    BTEXT remote use of this TNC at phantomrage.org (kc7stw)

CANLINE $18 (CTRL-X)
    CANPAC $19 (CTRL-Y)
    CASEDISP 0 (as is)
    CBELL OFF
    CFROM all
    CHCALL OFF
    CHDOUBLE OFF
    CHECK 30 (300 sec.)
    CHSWITCH $00
    CLKADJ 0
    CMDTIME 10 (1000 msec.)
    CMSG OFF
    COMMAND $03 (CTRL-C)
    CONMODE CONVERSE
    CONPERM OFF
    CONSTAMP OFF
    CPACTIME OFF
    CTEXT welcome to sun valley mail drop.

DAYSTAMP OFF
    DELETE OFF
    DFROM all
    DWAIT 16 (160 msec.)
    ECHO ON
    ESCAPE OFF
    FLOW ON
    FRACK 3 (3 sec.)
    FULLDUP OFF
    HBAUD 1200
    HEADERLN ON
    HID OFF
    ILFPACK ON
    MAILDROP ON
    MAXFRAME 4
    MBELL OFF
    MBX none
    MCON 0 (none)
    MDIGI OFF
    MDMON ON
    MDPROMPT Enter message, ^Z (CTRL-Z) to end

MFILTER $80
    MFROM all
    MONITOR 0 (none)
    MPROTO ON
    MRPT ON
    MSTAMP OFF
    MTO none
    MYALIAS none
    MYCALL KC7STW-4
    NEWMODE ON
    NOMODE OFF
    NUCR OFF
    NULF OFF
    NULLS 0
    PACLEN 128
    PACTIME AFTER 10 (1000 msec.)
    PARITY 0 (none)
    PASS $16 (CTRL-V)
    PASSALL OFF
    PERSIST 63
    PPERSIST ON
    REDISPLA $12 (CTRL-R)
    RELINK OFF
    RESPTIME 5 (500 msec.)
    RETRY 10
    SENDPAC $0D (CTRL-M)
    SLOTTIME 10 (100 msec.)
    SQUELCH OFF
    START $11 (CTRL-Q)
    STOP $13 (CTRL-S)
    TBAUD 2400
    TIME $14 (CTRL-T)
    TONE 3 (1200/2200 eq)
    TRACE OFF
    TRFLOW OFF
    TRIES 0
    TXDELAY 100 (1000 msec.)
    TXFLOW OFF
    USERS 1
    XFLOW ON
    XMITOK ON
    XOFF $13 (CTRL-S)
    XON $11 (CTRL-Q)
    cmd:
    --------
    It does not display it, but KISS ON is set.

PhantomRage Studios BBS!

---
  • From echicken@VERT/ECBBS to Phantomrage on Sun May 6 05:56:24 2012
    By: Phantomrage to echicken on Fri May 04 2012 19:43:00

100% not sure about this one. Let me see if I can paste a display Z here... --------
    DISPLAY A,C,I,L,M,T,Z
    cmd:display z
    --------
    It does not display it, but KISS ON is set.

It's definitely not in KISS mode. In KISS mode, the TNC isn't (particularly) usable from a terminal emulator; it should only be exchanging KISS frames with your computer, rather than responding to textual commands like "display Z".

So, while it does say "KISS ON" is set, there are probably additional steps that you need to take in order to put it into KISS mode. IIRC the PK-88 manual does go into a bit of detail about this process (section 5, page 52 if memory serves.)

echicken

---
  • From Phantomrage@VERT/PRS to echicken on Sun May 6 05:39:37 2012
    It's definitely not in KISS mode. In KISS mode, the TNC isn't (particularly) usable from a terminal emulator; it should only be
    exchanging KISS frames with your computer, rather than responding to
    textual commands like "display Z".

So, while it does say "KISS ON" is set, there are probably additional steps that you need to take in order to put it into KISS mode. IIRC the PK-88 manual does go into a bit of detail about this process (section 5, page 52 if memory serves.)

I will look it over again.. I may have missed a step or two...

I bet I have had it in kiss mode, but thought I messed it up because it
    stopped responding, and I reset it. Bet that's what the issue is..

I will play with it in the morning.

PhantomRage Studios BBS!

---
  • From Phantomrage@VERT/PRS to echicken on Sun May 6 16:13:15 2012

Ok, so I did what the manual said to do...

Now when I enter the program, the Sta and Con leds flash back and forth, but
    it still kicks me out of the script, and the TNC does not TX the radio or attempt to connect to the other station...

in the terminal server screen, I see
    -----
    Node 1 kc7stw-0->W7TA-4 : U_FRAME_SABM
    (this line shows 5 times,)
    Node 1 kc7stw-0 failed to connect to W7TA-4
    -----

PhantomRage Studios BBS!

---
  • From echicken@VERT/ECBBS to Phantomrage on Sun May 6 20:52:27 2012
    By: Phantomrage to echicken on Sun May 06 2012 11:13:15

Now when I enter the program, the Sta and Con leds flash back and forth, but it still kicks me out of the script, and the TNC does not TX the radio or attempt to connect to the other station...

Okay, well at least the script is exiting for a good reason now - what you're seeing there is the script attempting to connect to the other station five times, then failing. This is expected behavior.

Of course, since the TNC isn't keying up your radio something else must be going on. Unfortunately there's nothing I can do to the software to fix this - a TNC in KISS mode is supposed to key up and transmit once it receives a frame from the host (your computer) so either it's not entirely set up for KISS mode yet or something else is going on on the TNC side. I'll take a look at the PK-88 manual later on and see if there are any other hints in there.

Hopefully I'll have a PK-88 and maybe some other TNCs to test with in the near future. I'm planning to scour the Hamvention flea market with an eye peeled for packet gear.

echicken

---
  • From Corey@VERT/TSGC to echicken on Sun May 6 18:59:49 2012
    By: echicken to Phantomrage on Sun May 06 2012 03:52 pm

Subject: Re: AX.25 packet radio & Synchronet
    @VIA: ECBBS
    @MSGID: <4FA6D67B.1443.dove-ham@bbs.electronicchicken.com>
    @REPLY: <4FA6BF3B.1259.dove-ham@phantomrage.org>
    @TZ: c12c
    By: Phantomrage to echicken on Sun May 06 2012 11:13:15

Now when I enter the program, the Sta and Con leds flash back and forth, it still kicks me out of the script, and the TNC does not TX the radio or attempt to connect to the other station...

Okay, well at least the script is exiting for a good reason now - what you'r seeing there is the script attempting to connect to the other station five times, then failing. This is expected behavior.

Of course, since the TNC isn't keying up your radio something else must be going on. Unfortunately there's nothing I can do to the software to fix thi a TNC in KISS mode is supposed to key up and transmit once it receives a fra from the host (your computer) so either it's not entirely set up for KISS mo yet or something else is going on on the TNC side. I'll take a look at the PK-88 manual later on and see if there are any other hints in there.

Hopefully I'll have a PK-88 and maybe some other TNCs to test with in the ne future. I'm planning to scour the Hamvention flea market with an eye peeled for packet gear.

echicken

if a ham has a wild time with 2 girls. is that a ham sandwich?

"Practise safe Lunch, Use a Condiment"

---
    þ Synchronet þ Three Stooges Gentlemens Club - Las Vegas, Nv - tsgc.dyndns.org
  • From echicken@VERT/ECBBS to Corey on Sun May 6 22:41:04 2012
    By: Corey to echicken on Sun May 06 2012 13:59:49

if a ham has a wild time with 2 girls. is that a ham sandwich?

Yes.

echicken

---
  • From Phantomrage@VERT/PRS to echicken on Sun May 6 19:53:04 2012
    Okay, well at least the script is exiting for a good reason now - what you're seeing there is the script attempting to connect to the other
    station five times, then failing. This is expected behavior.

After looking at the .js file and how it all worked, I was thinking it has to be in the TNC end. So I am working on trying to figure out that.

Of course, since the TNC isn't keying up your radio something else must be going on. Unfortunately there's nothing I can do to the software to fix this - a TNC in KISS mode is supposed to key up and transmit once it receives a frame from the host (your computer) so either it's not entirely set up for KISS mode yet or something else is going on on the TNC

I will do some testing on the TNC and see what I come up with. Good to know that once in kiss there really is no (buffer) lets say in the TNC.. Just I
    have info, and pass it out over the air..

Hopefully I'll have a PK-88 and maybe some other TNCs to test with in the near future. I'm planning to scour the Hamvention flea market with an eye peeled for packet gear.

I will look around, and see what other TNCs I can find here. and send them to you in the mail for testing. I seem to come into a few for free. So far I just have a old PK88.. But if it works once it is setup I will not need any more TNCs so again if I find them, I can send them to you for testing.

If you are on QRZ I can look up your address.

PhantomRage Studios BBS!

---
  • From echicken@VERT/ECBBS to Phantomrage on Mon May 7 15:16:21 2012
    By: Phantomrage to echicken on Sun May 06 2012 14:53:04

I will do some testing on the TNC and see what I come up with. Good to know that once in kiss there really is no (buffer) lets say in the TNC.. Just I have info, and pass it out over the air..

Well, if the TNC receives a valid AX.25 frame encapsulated in a KISS frame from the host, it should send it out over the air once the frequency is open. It does buffer that frame as it receives it and it buffers any additional frames it receives until it's sent the preceding one(s) in sequence. However, the TNC is no longer waiting for you to type in some text and hit enter so that it can assemble an AX.25 frame and transmit; it just waits to receive a correct and preassembled AX.25 frame from the host. (Of course, this means that instead of using your TNC's reliable and time-tested AX.25 implementation, you're using my buggy beta javascript implementation of the protocol.)

There's some small chance that the KISS implementation in your TNC varies slightly from mine. I'll do some reading later today if I get a chance and see if I can come up with anything.

Also, the TNC won't key up the transceiver if it thinks the frequency is in use. If it has a DCD light that's lit up, or your radio appears to be receiving, try adjusting your squelch.

I will look around, and see what other TNCs I can find here. and send them you in the mail for testing. I seem to come into a few for free. So far I just have a old PK88.. But if it works once it is setup I will not need any more TNCs so again if I find them, I can send them to you for testing.

Well, if you happen upon any, sure. I'm going to try to collect a few next week. It's good for testing, but shouldn't really be necessary - KISS is supposed to do away with these sorts of compatibility issues.

echicken

---
  • From Phantomrage@VERT/PRS to echicken on Mon May 7 19:49:10 2012

Well, if the TNC receives a valid AX.25 frame encapsulated in a KISS frame from the host, it should send it out over the air once the frequency is open.

got it to TX the data,

But I have one question.

Does the other station have to be in KISS mode?

If so, that may be the issue, since NO-ONE around here uses KISS....

PhantomRage Studios BBS!

---
  • From Phantomrage@VERT/PRS to echicken on Mon May 7 20:24:23 2012
    ok,

other station in kiss mode. Radio TX, shows connected,

Then errors with,
    E:\sbbs\exec\ax25call.js line 51: TypeError: inputLine.getkey is not a
    function

PhantomRage Studios BBS!

---
  • From echicken@VERT/ECBBS to Phantomrage on Tue May 8 05:29:23 2012
    By: Phantomrage to echicken on Mon May 07 2012 14:49:10

Does the other station have to be in KISS mode?

Nope, definitely not. KISS is simply the protocol that your TNC and your computer use to talk to one another. What comes and goes over the link are straight AX.25 frames.

If so, that may be the issue, since NO-ONE around here uses KISS....

Normally you wouldn't know if somebody else was running their TNC in KISS mode since (unless they've told you so or you know that whatever software they're running only supports KISS,) there's no outward indication that it's being employed. In fact, some programs automatically place TNCs into KISS mode and take them out afterward, so a lot of people may be running KISS mode TNCs without necessarily knowing it.

Do you see your radio receiving after you've transmitted a packet?

If you set the log level to 'Debug' for the Terminal Server tab in the Synchronet Control Panel, you should see a more verbose listing of what packets are sent and received. That'll tell us if you're receiving anything and will give me some idea of what's going on.

echicken

---
  • From echicken@VERT/ECBBS to Phantomrage on Tue May 8 05:39:04 2012
    By: Phantomrage to echicken on Mon May 07 2012 15:24:23

Then errors with,
    E:\sbbs\exec\ax25call.js line 51: TypeError: inputLine.getkey is not a function

To start with, grab an up to date copy of exec/load/inputline.js from the Synchronet CVS. Also, make sure that you don't have another copy of inputline.js in e:\sbbs\exec or e:\sbbs\mods.

echicken

---
  • From Phantomrage@VERT/PRS to echicken on Wed May 9 03:50:36 2012
    Then errors with,
    E:\sbbs\exec\ax25call.js line 51: TypeError: inputLine.getkey is not a function

To start with, grab an up to date copy of exec/load/inputline.js from the Synchronet CVS. Also, make sure that you don't have another copy of inputline.js in e:\sbbs\exec or e:\sbbs\mods.

I will take a look when I get home..

Out of town at the moment.

Thanks

PhantomRage Studios BBS!

---
  • From Phantomrage@VERT/PRS to echicken on Sat May 12 18:21:13 2012

I have not had time to check this out, and see if this fixes the issue or not. Been busy with work and family. But let me give this a try and I will get
    back to you.

The other thing that crossed my mind is. I am using a Motorola 2 ch radius
    for the TNC radio, so I have to set the TNC for at least 500ms or the first part of the packet gets lost. Since it takes a bit for the Motorola to become stable and TX. (out of band with TX power mod)

Does kiss have a way to set this TX delay before sending the data packets?

Or does setting the TNC TXDELAY option then placing it in KISS mode do the same?

PhantomRage Studios BBS!

---
  • From echicken@VERT/ECBBS to Phantomrage on Sun May 13 00:53:56 2012
    By: Phantomrage to echicken on Sat May 12 2012 13:21:13

Does kiss have a way to set this TX delay before sending the data packets?

Or does setting the TNC TXDELAY option then placing it in KISS mode do the same?

Whether those settings survive the switch into KISS mode would depend on the TNC, but I suspect they would not in most cases. However, KISS does have some provisions for setting txdelay among other things. That's something that I don't yet have support for, but could add in easily. I'll look into that later on.

echicken

---
  • From Phantomrage@VERT/PRS to echicken on Sun May 13 17:43:52 2012

So i did this, and still no work.

It TX data packets, but I think the TX delay is to short for the radio, and it clips the first part of the packet.

At this point I am in a loss.

Not sure how to test this. Need to read about kiss, and figure out how to add a TX delay. I will do some reading today since the wife is sick and in bed I have some free time.

PhantomRage Studios BBS!

---
  • From Phantomrage@VERT/PRS to echicken on Sun May 13 17:54:53 2012
    Whether those settings survive the switch into KISS mode would depend on
    the TNC, but I suspect they would not in most cases. However, KISS does have some provisions for setting txdelay among other things. That's something that I don't yet have support for, but could add in easily. I'll look into that later on.

I see this in the ax25defs.js

const KISS_TXD = (1<<0); // TX delay

(I wish I had a reference for java)

PhantomRage Studios BBS!

---
  • From echicken@VERT/ECBBS to Phantomrage on Mon May 14 04:56:21 2012
    By: Phantomrage to echicken on Sun May 13 2012 12:43:52

Not sure how to test this. Need to read about kiss, and figure out how to a a TX delay. I will do some reading today since the wife is sick and in bed have some free time.

I'll work on that sometime in the next few days. It's a change that I'll need to make to the KISS & AX.25 library, and it's something that I've been meaning to do for a while.

echicken

---
  • From echicken@VERT/ECBBS to Phantomrage on Mon May 14 04:58:12 2012
    By: Phantomrage to echicken on Sun May 13 2012 12:54:53

const KISS_TXD = (1<<0);// TX delay

I defined that one for later use. The code to actually do something with that variable doesn't exist yet (well, it did in an earlier version, but was removed, but I'll put it in again.)

(I wish I had a reference for java)

Javascript, not Java. :D

echicken

---