• Hmmmm May have found something!

From John Guillory@VERT/MAINLINE to All on Fri Jun 1 03:35:40 2012
    I found a 10 meter radio (Radio Shack HTX-10 25 Watt). I've never been a fan of Radio Shack Radios, but this one is starting to draw my attention. I may be able to pick it up for around $100. I'll need to pick up some extra parts for it, no mounting bracket or screws. I'll eventually need to pick up second antenna and will probably want to wire this one straight to the fuse-box. If I do that, I'll wire my Cobra to the fuse box as well, if I can get it setup to shut the radio off when the truck's not running. Right now the Cobra 29 LTD BT is wired to the cigarette lighter plug, and I've got one of the few vehichle's where the friggen cigarette lighter stays running 24/7 regardless of the state of the ignition... For the time being I'm going to try to use my CB antenna. Later, I'll wire a second firestick or better yet, a full-fledge whip to get optimum reception. I'm wanting to communicate with the Westake Ham Radio
    club, really close to the texas louisiana border. I'm fairly close to Natchez Mississippi. Unlike the Export radio's this one is 100% legal (never been modified from what I understand, though it can be modified to transmit on
    CB bands, I have no need to....) Unlike the export radios, this has actual frequency display, 5 programmable channels, support for repeaters with shifted frequencies. No info on PLTones, but that is fine because I've yet to see anyone near me with a 10 meter repeater! The westlake ham club may have a 10 meter around there, but I seem to recall most of their repeaters was 2 meters. Incidently, It'd be cool if someone would connect a 2 meter repeater to a 10 meter repeater basically, such that 2 meter hams could talk to 10 meter hams in the area... ;-) I'm kind of thinking with my history of CB use and all I'd be a little more comfortable on the 10 meter than the 2 meter.... I may be wrong... ;-) Any way, was just wanting to see what you guys think... I've got the OK to possibly buy it from the misses, once I go over the bills... I'm really wanting to have 10 meter, especially a mobile 10 meter! I get my first taste of 10 meter Saturday at the Dairy Festival. Incidently, someone said to remind them... I'll try to make another reminder later, but This saturday is the dairy festival and they'll be on 10 meter bands. More info can be found at w5wq.net ....

Oh yeah, when they say QSL, I heard a video of the guy giving 2 letters and a state, is that the Grid Code thinggy and the state your in? I figured I'll find out Saturday as everyone will be wanting a QSL... I seem to recall a QSO is a status report, which I need to study up on, most folks give 3 numbers, of which 1 is the receive quality, another is the signal quality I think and forget the 3rd, which if I'm not mistaken is related to CW.... Kinda silly to give values that don't apply and from what I understand contest just give all 557 or something like that which says your signal was excellent no matter if it was readable or not! (at least according to youtube's videos....)

---
    þ Synchronet þ Roach Guts -- kingcoder.net
  • From Deuce@VERT/SYNCNIX to John Guillory on Fri Jun 1 06:49:19 2012
    Re: Hmmmm May have found something!
    By: John Guillory to All on Thu May 31 2012 10:35 pm

I found a 10 meter radio (Radio Shack HTX-10 25 Watt). I've never been a fan of Radio Shack Radios, but this one is starting to draw my attention.

It appears that this is the same radio as the Magnum 257.

Oh yeah, when they say QSL, I heard a video of the guy giving 2 letters and a state, is that the Grid Code thinggy and the state your in?

Often a two letters and a state is a context exchange - grid squares tend to be
    two letters and two numbers (and maybe two more letters) and there's no reason to specify the state.

QSL is basically a confirmation - it can be used as a question "QSL?" meaning "Do you copy" and an answer "QSL" ie: "I copy". It's also how the confirmation
    CARDS that are mailed out are refered to - they confirm the contact. Usually the call, date, time, band, and signal report.

I seem to
    recall a QSO is a status report,

A QSO is a contact... any time you communicate with another station, you are having a "QSO". The other way it's used is with a station appended:

QSO K6BSD? "Can you contact K6BSD?"
    QSO K6BSD "I can contact K6BSD"

which I need to study up on, most folks
    give 3 numbers, of which 1 is the receive quality, another is the signal quality I think and forget the 3rd, which if I'm not mistaken is related to CW.... Kinda silly to give values that don't apply and from what I understand contest just give all 557 or something like that which says your signal was excellent no matter if it was readable or not! (at least according to youtube's videos....)

The three numbers are readability, strength, and tone. The first is from 1-5, and the other two are from 1-9.

For phone modes, the tone is omitted... and generally contesters will do 599 for perfectly readable, extremely strong signals, and perfect tone, no trace of
    ripple or modulation of any kind. The last number (tone) is usually left off by phone operators... when it's included, it hints at a LID.

---
    http://DuckDuckGo.com/ a better search engine that respects your privacy.
    þ Synchronet þ My Brand-New BBS (All the cool SysOps run STOCK!)
  • From Kd8ncv@VERT/DXSTAT to John Guillory on Sun Jul 15 06:49:49 2012
    First off I would say going to the fuse box is a bad idea and going to
    the cig lighter is an even worse idea!!! Certainly you should run the
    wires with FUSES in-line directly to the battery is at all possible.

Running through the fuse box can cause all kinds of issues, such as
    picking up interference or even creating some. A friend's Yaesu 160-10m
    rig used to shut off the cars computer is it was keyed up ;P So there is
    some stuff to think about!!!

I myself am looking for a mount for a HR-2510 and a Yaesu 2500m, anyone
    have any ideas in doing this?
    73's

On 5/31/2012 6:35 PM, John Guillory wrote:
    I found a 10 meter radio (Radio Shack HTX-10 25 Watt). I've never been a fan of Radio Shack Radios, but this one is starting to draw my attention. I may be able to pick it up for around $100. I'll need to pick up some extra parts for it, no mounting bracket or screws. I'll eventually need to pick up second
    antenna and will probably want to wire this one straight to the fuse-box. If I
    do that, I'll wire my Cobra to the fuse box as well, if I can get it setup to shut the radio off when the truck's not running. Right now the Cobra 29 LTD BT
    is wired to the cigarette lighter plug, and I've got one of the few vehichle's
    where the friggen cigarette lighter stays running 24/7 regardless of the state
    of the ignition... For the time being I'm going to try to use my CB antenna. Later, I'll wire a second firestick or better yet, a full-fledge whip to get optimum reception. I'm wanting to communicate with the Westake Ham Radio club, really close to the texas louisiana border. I'm fairly close to Natchez
    Mississippi. Unlike the Export radio's this one is 100% legal (never been modified from what I understand, though it can be modified to transmit on
    CB bands, I have no need to....) Unlike the export radios, this has actual frequency display, 5 programmable channels, support for repeaters with shifted
    frequencies. No info on PLTones, but that is fine because I've yet to see anyone near me with a 10 meter repeater! The westlake ham club may have a 10 meter around there, but I seem to recall most of their repeaters was 2 meters.
    Incidently, It'd be cool if someone would connect a 2 meter repeater to a 10 meter repeater basically, such that 2 meter hams could talk to 10 meter hams in
    the area... ;-) I'm kind of thinking with my history of CB use and all I'd be
    a little more comfortable on the 10 meter than the 2 meter.... I may be wrong... ;-) Any way, was just wanting to see what you guys think... I've got
    the OK to possibly buy it from the misses, once I go over the bills... I'm really wanting to have 10 meter, especially a mobile 10 meter! I get my first
    taste of 10 meter Saturday at the Dairy Festival. Incidently, someone said to
    remind them... I'll try to make another reminder later, but This saturday is the dairy festival and they'll be on 10 meter bands. More info can be found at
    w5wq.net ....

Oh yeah, when they say QSL, I heard a video of the guy giving 2 letters and a state, is that the Grid Code thinggy and the state your in? I figured I'll find out Saturday as everyone will be wanting a QSL... I seem to recall a QSO is a status report, which I need to study up on, most folks give 3 numbers, of
    which 1 is the receive quality, another is the signal quality I think and forget the 3rd, which if I'm not mistaken is related to CW.... Kinda silly to give values that don't apply and from what I understand contest just give all 557 or something like that which says your signal was excellent no matter if it
    was readable or not! (at least according to youtube's videos....)

---
    � Synchronet � Roach Guts -- kingcoder.net

---
    þ Synchronet þ DX Station - xblade.mooo.com