• Quick Question...

From John Guillory@VERT/MAINLINE to All on Fri Jun 1 04:20:30 2012
    O.k., while in Atlanta Ga, I tried the frequency someone (Phantom Rage?) told me to try for 2 meter packet radio.... It sounded like they had activity here, but in Brookhaven, I've scanned the entire band and other than hearing the repeater announce its self when I call a CQ, other than that, one thursday when they linked up with Jackson, I heard some people there, beyond that quiet as can be. Now for my ultimate question I've sorta been wondering....

The manual I pulled up online for the radio shack 10 meter radio says if you're on AM and you hear a garbled voice that you can't make out, switch to either upper or lower side bands and try that. What will you hear if you are on FM and they're transitting on AM, or if your on AM and someone is transmitting on FM? It'd be kinda interesting to think about the concept of that situation... Also, from what I understand (and in the long run, I imagine I'll be the same) everyone uses Upper Side Band (primarily for distance), but would love to try talking to someone local on FM just for the heck of it. I'd imagine from what I understand it'd be crystal clear (if local!), and really clear, unlike SSB
    DX signals... Also, from what I hear on youtube, the farther away and the more your bouncing off the ionasphere, the more warbaled and weirder sounding the voice will be.... Can't wait to get a little experience on 10 meters!

---
    þ Synchronet þ Roach Guts -- kingcoder.net
  • From Deuce@VERT/SYNCNIX to John Guillory on Fri Jun 1 06:57:56 2012
    Re: Quick Question...
    By: John Guillory to All on Thu May 31 2012 11:20 pm

The manual I pulled up online for the radio shack 10 meter radio says if you're on AM and you hear a garbled voice that you can't make out, switch
    to either upper or lower side bands and try that. What will you hear if
    you are on FM and they're transitting on AM, or if your on AM and someone
    is transmitting on FM?

Well, you generally don't bother with AM, AM is generally just a great way to waste the output power of your transmitter. The people who like AM generally like the fact that the bass (ie: frequencies below 300Hz) is preserved. Also, like FM, it has a much higher duty cycle (you actually transmit silence).

Now... if you're on FM and someone transmits AM, you'll just hear silence... an
    AM signal "looks like" silence with a varying amplitude to an FM reciever. The
    other way 'round, you can get what's called "slope detection" where you can kinda make out the FM signal with the AM detection slightly off tune.

It'd be kinda interesting to think about the
    concept of that situation... Also, from what I understand (and in the long run, I imagine I'll be the same) everyone uses Upper Side Band (primarily for distance), but would love to try talking to someone local on FM just
    for the heck of it.

It's primarily for efficiency... which gives greater distance, but FM is not completely ignored.

I'd imagine from what I understand it'd be crystal
    clear (if local!), and really clear, unlike SSB DX signals...

Well, SSB is crystal clear if local too when you handle your rig correctly - by
    attenuating the signal, you can put the RF noise floor below the noise floor of
    the rig.

Also, from
    what I hear on youtube, the farther away and the more your bouncing off the ionasphere, the more warbaled and weirder sounding the voice will be.... Can't wait to get a little experience on 10 meters!

I haven't noticed that really... but I haven't got a lot of 10m DX in - this cola cycle is looking more like a bust every month.

---
    http://DuckDuckGo.com/ a better search engine that respects your privacy.
    þ Synchronet þ My Brand-New BBS (All the cool SysOps run STOCK!)
  • From echicken@VERT/ECBBS to John Guillory on Fri Jun 1 15:01:11 2012
    Re: Quick Question...
    By: John Guillory to All on Thu May 31 2012 23:20:30

The manual I pulled up online for the radio shack 10 meter radio says if you on AM and you hear a garbled voice that you can't make out, switch to either upper or lower side bands and try that. What will you hear if you are on FM and they're transitting on AM, or if your on AM and someone is transmitting FM? It'd be kinda interesting to think about the concept of that situation. Also, from what I understand (and in the long run, I imagine I'll be the sam everyone uses Upper Side Band (primarily for distance), but would love to tr talking to someone local on FM just for the heck of it. I'd imagine from wh I understand it'd be crystal clear (if local!), and really clear, unlike SSB DX signals... Also, from what I hear on youtube, the farther away and the m your bouncing off the ionasphere, the more warbaled and weirder sounding the voice will be.... Can't wait to get a little experience on 10 meters!

IIRC the convention is to use LSB below 10MHz, USB at 10MHz and up, however there's no rule stating which must be used where.

Where you can or cannot use FM is mostly a question of bandwidth. Check the regulations, but I think you're looking at 29MHz and up.

echicken
    electronic chicken bbs - bbs.electronicchicken.com - 416-273-7230

---
    þ Synchronet þ electronic chicken bbs - bbs.electronicchicken.com
  • From Kd8ncv@VERT/DXSTAT to John Guillory on Sun Jul 15 06:53:35 2012
    Greetings,

Well you have it correct, talking on FM is very clean and clear if your
    close and have a decent signal... I'd go hop out in the truck where my
    HR2510 and Yaesu 2500m sit and try chatting with you, but I don't think
    your in my area of Michigan here ;P

73's

On 5/31/2012 7:20 PM, John Guillory wrote:
    O.k., while in Atlanta Ga, I tried the frequency someone (Phantom Rage?) told me to try for 2 meter packet radio.... It sounded like they had activity here,
    but in Brookhaven, I've scanned the entire band and other than hearing the repeater announce its self when I call a CQ, other than that, one thursday when
    they linked up with Jackson, I heard some people there, beyond that quiet as can be. Now for my ultimate question I've sorta been wondering....

The manual I pulled up online for the radio shack 10 meter radio says if you're
    on AM and you hear a garbled voice that you can't make out, switch to either upper or lower side bands and try that. What will you hear if you are on FM and they're transitting on AM, or if your on AM and someone is transmitting on
    FM? It'd be kinda interesting to think about the concept of that situation...
    Also, from what I understand (and in the long run, I imagine I'll be the same)
    everyone uses Upper Side Band (primarily for distance), but would love to try talking to someone local on FM just for the heck of it. I'd imagine from what
    I understand it'd be crystal clear (if local!), and really clear, unlike SSB DX signals... Also, from what I hear on youtube, the farther away and the more
    your bouncing off the ionasphere, the more warbaled and weirder sounding the voice will be.... Can't wait to get a little experience on 10 meters!

---
    � Synchronet � Roach Guts -- kingcoder.net

---
    þ Synchronet þ DX Station - xblade.mooo.com
  • From John Guillory@VERT/MAINLINE to Kd8ncv on Sun Jul 15 16:19:57 2012
    Re: Re: Quick Question...
    By: Kd8ncv to John Guillory on Sun Jul 15 2012 01:53 am

close and have a decent signal... I'd go hop out in the truck where my HR2510 and Yaesu 2500m sit and try chatting with you, but I don't think
    your in my area of Michigan here ;P
    Got my antenna tuner and connector in, setup the 12m antenna (waiting on the 10m) may be able to reach you if the conditions was right... But unfortiantly, today it says it's "Poor" on my hf propigation app.... Ugh, too much rain most likely... Oh well, sweet though playing with the antenna tuner and seeing it work on all frequencies, even 10 meters with the 12m antenna!

---
    þ Synchronet þ Roach Guts -- kingcoder.net
  • From Kd8ncv@VERT/DXSTAT to John Guillory on Mon Sep 10 21:34:00 2012
    By: John Guillory to Kd8ncv on Sun Jul 15 2012 11:19:57

Well as of now, I don't have a working 10m radio, I was installing a knob on the side, and kind of snapped off a tuning coil in what I think is the tuning section, so the PLL won't lock anymore, and I can't recieve or TX until I get the coil fixed... Which kind of stinks...

73's
    KD8NCV

By: Kd8ncv to John Guillory on Sun Jul 15 2012 01:53 am

close and have a decent signal... I'd go hop out in the truck where my HR2510 and Yaesu 2500m sit and try chatting with you, but I don't think your in my area of Michigan here ;P
    Got my antenna tuner and connector in, setup the 12m antenna (waiting on 10m) may be able to reach you if the conditions was right... But unfortiantl today it says it's "Poor" on my hf propigation app.... Ugh, too much rain mo likely... Oh well, sweet though playing with the antenna tuner and seeing i work on all frequencies, even 10 meters with the 12m antenna!

---
    þ Synchronet þ DX Station - xblade.mooo.com