• Cheap and easy HAM?

From Mindless Automaton@VERT/ELDRITCH to DOVE-Net.HAM_Radio on Thu Jun 21 04:45:52 2012
    So if I wanted to get into the hobby, what would be the cheap and easy
    way to do so?

Thankds!

--

4 Mindless Automaton Artifact Creature - Construct 0/0
    (Artifact Rare)
    Mindless Automaton comes into play with two +1/+1 counters on it. 1,
    Discard a card: Put a +1/+1 counter on Mindless Automaton. Remove two
    +1/+1 counters from Mindless Automaton: Draw a card.
    ---
    þ Synchronet þ Eldritch Clockwork BBS - eldritch.darktech.org
  • From Deuce@VERT/SYNCNIX to Mindless Automaton on Thu Jun 21 04:43:19 2012
    Re: Cheap and easy HAM?
    By: Mindless Automaton to DOVE-Net.HAM_Radio on Wed Jun 20 2012 11:45 pm

way to do so?

VHF/UHF with a tech license is the cheapest and easiest way in, but it's only one facet of the hobby.

What interests you about amateur radio? If you answer that question, I could give a better answer.

---
    http://DuckDuckGo.com/ a better search engine that respects your privacy.
    þ Synchronet þ My Brand-New BBS (All the cool SysOps run STOCK!)
  • From Digital Man@VERT to Mindless Automaton on Thu Jun 21 20:38:37 2012

way to do so?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Quansheng-TG-UV2-Dual-Band-radio-Earpiece-USB-Cable-/13
    0553112656?pt=US_Ham_Radio_Transceivers&hash=item1e65926850

You can get your license usually for $10 or less and a few hours of studying (taking practice exams).

digital man

Synchronet "Real Fact" #9:
    The name "DOVE-Net" was suggested by King Drafus (sysop of The Beast's Domain). Norco, CA WX: 77.8øF, 52.0% humidity, 14 mph NW wind, 0.00 inches rain/24hrs

---
    þ Synchronet þ Vertrauen þ Home of Synchronet þ telnet://vert.synchro.net
  • From Phantomrage@VERT/PRS to Mindless Automaton on Fri Jun 22 14:38:43 2012
    So if I wanted to get into the hobby, what would be the cheap and easy way to do so?

If you get your license. You can use your computer at first or however long you want with Echolink.

That's free..

PhantomRage Studios BBS!

---
    þ Synchronet þ PhantomRage Studios: Telnet://phantomrage.org
  • From John Guillory@VERT/MAINLINE to Mindless Automaton on Tue Jun 26 01:53:44 2012

way to do so?
    Thanks to Phantom Rage for showing me this one:

EchoLink! Your cheapest solution! The next best depends on where you live. Where I live, 2 meters is the big thing, so every ham has a 2 meter handy talkie, and most have a 2 meter in their vehichle. Few hams have a
    HF in their vehichles, most have a really expensive All-bander in their house. In Westlake, where I used to live, everyone uses 10 meters the way we use 2 meters, though I'm tending to believe they pretty much go with import radios modified for CB use to illegally transmit on CB band with more power. Echo Link requires you to be licensed to download the software, but once you do,
    you use your sound card and microphone to act as your radio connected to repeaters all over the world. Great for starting a rag chewing session, collecting QSO cards, just checking on the weather, etc. Another thing you might try is getting with Phantom Rage and checking out his door for his
    TNC to his radio.

---
    þ Synchronet þ Roach Guts -- kingcoder.net
  • From John Guillory@VERT/MAINLINE to Deuce on Tue Jun 26 02:01:58 2012
    By: Deuce to Mindless Automaton on Wed Jun 20 2012 11:43 pm

VHF/UHF with a tech license is the cheapest and easiest way in, but it's only one facet of the hobby.
    What interests you about amateur radio? If you answer that question, I could give a better answer.
    Good point, but then again, I'm not sure most folks wanting to get into
    HAM really realize the full potential. Also, Tech's are (yes as you
    pointed out) really limited on many HF bands, and a really good reason
    for becoming General or better yet Extra is it becomes really easy to
    make you a small cheat sheet with the phone ranges for all the bands and
    another for any other modes you use, though they still make it difficult,
    by limiting certain ranges on certain bands to certain modes.... They showed
    me in one band, you could use AM in this range, USB in this range, CW in
    this range, etc. ... I want to be able to just scan from range A to range B
    and talk anywhere I find someone to talk to... When it gets to where I'm
    doing more research to find how I can talk to them than actually making
    contacts, I'd rather learn to send SMOKE SIGNALS! The big thing about
    Field Day was suppose to be to demonstrate how well we could survive without
    any other forms of communications... Well, if we have to bring a big stack
    of books to discover what modes we can talk on during a hurricane, I'm afraid we might be limited in communication... I don't really expect to see
    a ham shack filled with books in an air conditioned building right after
    a hurricane!

---
  • From John Guillory@VERT/MAINLINE to Digital Man on Tue Jun 26 02:03:51 2012
    By: Digital Man to Mindless Automaton on Thu Jun 21 2012 03:38 pm

You can get your license usually for $10 or less and a few hours of
    studying (taking practice exams).
    Hmmph! Mine cost me $14 for my Tech, and $14 for the General Upgrade....
    No Cost for Echo Link, my pathetic UV-3R that I really don't recommend
    unless it will really take you 3 years to save up for a $150 radio,
    cost me around $45-$50. Cheap Price, Cheap Quality....

---
  • From Corey@VERT/TSGC to John Guillory on Tue Jun 26 01:17:35 2012
    By: John Guillory to Mindless Automaton on Mon Jun 25 2012 08:53 pm

So if I wanted to get into the hobby, what would be the cheap and easy way to do so?
    Thanks to Phantom Rage for showing me this one:

EchoLink! Your cheapest solution! The next best depends on where you live. Where I live, 2 meters is the big thing, so every ham has a 2 meter handy talkie, and most have a 2 meter in their vehichle. Few hams have a
    HF in their vehichles, most have a really expensive All-bander in their hous In Westlake, where I used to live, everyone uses 10 meters the way we use 2 meters, though I'm tending to believe they pretty much go with import radios modified for CB use to illegally transmit on CB band with more power. Echo Link requires you to be licensed to download the software, but once you do, you use your sound card and microphone to act as your radio connected to repeaters all over the world. Great for starting a rag chewing session, collecting QSO cards, just checking on the weather, etc. Another thing you might try is getting with Phantom Rage and checking out his door for his
    TNC to his radio.

err, spam is a cheap and easy ham... lol

"Practise safe Lunch, Use a Condiment"

---
    þ Synchronet þ Three Stooges Gentlemens Club - Las Vegas, Nv - tsgc.dyndns.org
  • From Phantomrage@VERT/PRS to Corey on Wed Jun 27 17:12:11 2012

Kill's me every time you come up with this stuff...

Spit soda on that one.. Yeah, I am easy to amuse.

PhantomRage Studios BBS!

---
  • From Corey@VERT/TSGC to Phantomrage on Wed Jun 27 21:10:56 2012
    Re: Re: Cheap and easy HAM?
    By: Phantomrage to Corey on Wed Jun 27 2012 12:12 pm

Spit soda on that one.. Yeah, I am easy to amuse.

PhantomRage Studios BBS!

Is a pig farmer a ham operator?

---
  • From John Guillory@VERT/MAINLINE to Phantomrage on Fri Jun 29 12:55:17 2012
    By: Phantomrage to Corey on Wed Jun 27 2012 12:12 pm

yup, so what's "CB's" Chopped Beef? ;-)

Phantom, you'll be happy and said probably... I just bought a Ranger RTI 9550 10 meter / 12 meter radio. Will be in around the 3-10 of July. I understand fully why most hams are 200% against getting one, and I understand sorta why my ham club keeps saying you won't be satisfied with 10 meters... Sure, the bands closed a lot, but I understand from one guy he's actually been getting a lot of DX lately. I know I have an app called HF Propigation on my phone, I've been watching it and a few weeks back, seems like every 2-3 days 10-12 meters had "Fair" on both days and nights. It's been "Poor" the last couple of days, but... Either way, I wasn't wanting it for what most people call DX, just longer distance than 2 meters.... I can personally tell you, looking at the videos on Youtube irratates me to death! So many people buy this radio and talk about how good of a "CB" it is.... Granted, it is easier to make it into a CB than some of the other exports, but it doesn't make it Legal... I also am understanding what some mean by your never satisfied... ;-) So like this radio supports AM, FM, USB, LSB, and CW. With that in mind... I just have to try again and learn CW, so I can pick up a cheap pair of paddles or that computer interface thingy that types for you, and use the CW mode. I have to admit, the bandwidth of CW is darn small! It'd be cool to setup a BBS interface to do like a chat mode with CW.... Tell you what though, this radio has some really nice features on it... I was wanting 10 meters, and I ended up getting 10 and 12 for just a little more than I was going to pay for 10! And 12 meters has no dedicated modes, you can use the entire (but limited compared to 10!) segment for whatever you want, FM, AM, USB, LSB, etc... Except the data portion.... It's also a continous tuning (think that's what they call it...) If you do the Mod to expand the channels, you can go from the edge of 12 meters on up to 35mHz without having to change bands! 12->10+ free band and never switch bands! They had a clown modify his 2950 for CB use, then on the bottom added like 10-15 switches, had so much junk on there, he just trashed off the radio. one switch plays some siren like noise, another 3-tone rodger beep, another 5-tone rodger beep, and then he said you can leave them all on and the built-in rodger beep, and they'll play in sequence.... He demonstrated... I thought "I hope like heck I never hear him on the air!" Now some of the mods you can do are pretty cool. I'm not into all the "Noise toys", but unlike most radios, you can use your rodger beep button on the radio, and squelch, and a another one to enable certain mods... Like if you have a pre-amp, talkback, or echo and need to turn it on, find the right pin on the CPU and use it to enable the feature, then basically it disables the original function and that function becomes the new function... No drilling holes in the radio and it still looks original... I wouldn't mind having the frequencies expanded out, and adding the option to show CB Channels, to monitor the CB frequencies, but as someone put it, not going to risk my General Class License transmitting on CB radio with a non type certified radio! As far as the 35mHz, I see that like this... Someone said free-banding is supposed to be perfectly legal... But the FCC sets up what frequencies we can use by what is allready in use.... I'm not walking around with 10 feet of books constantly checking if someone else is using 30-35mHz.... There's a reason they didn't allocate those frequencies to hams... If I decided to try to use them, I may cause harmfull interference to someone, or worse talk on a law enforcement frequency.... That's the Primary concern... Second, my whole point of getting the 10-12 meter radio is to talk to someone.... If these frequencies are not "Common", then that means not many people will be able to use them, so I'll have a handfull of people who can use them and most will most likely not be near me! So why bother risking in violation when you most likely won't have anyone who can hear you to begin with.

---
  • From John Guillory@VERT/MAINLINE to Corey on Fri Jun 29 12:58:27 2012
    By: Corey to Phantomrage on Wed Jun 27 2012 04:10 pm

Is a pig farmer a ham operator?
    Now that's sick, no pig farm needs to be operating his pig! It's o.k. for
    a doctor to play doctor with a pig, but there's laws against that kind of
    stuff! ;-)

So why do they call it rag chewing? I mean, did some old men go around talking and when one said something about the other's wife, he'd just grab a rag and stick it in his mouth and start bighting it? Hmmm, gotta find the answer to this and other questions bugging me... And how did "Amateur Radio Operators" become known as hams?

---
  • From Chris Trainor@VERT/FLEETHQ to Digital Man on Sun Jul 1 05:07:54 2012
    By: Digital Man to Mindless Automaton on Thu Jun 21 2012 15:38:37

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Quansheng-TG-UV2-Dual-Band-radio-Earpiece-USB-Cable- 0553112656?pt=US_Ham_Radio_Transceivers&hash=item1e65926850

Hahaha, just about everyone I know has those or the Baofeung or whatever radios... piles of crap.. .but actually work. :) Good for short range
    chatter or to get on a nearby repeater. And super cheap. :)

--Chris

---------------------------------
    Chris Trainor - FleetHQ BBS
    telnet://bbs.fleethq.org

---
    þ Synchronet þ FleetHQ BBS - Greenville, RI
  • From W6RAY@VERT/US99 to Digital Man on Sun Jul 1 06:23:00 2012
    Digital Man wrote to Mindless Automaton <=-

You can get your license usually for $10 or less and a few hours of studying (taking practice exams).

Actually, our local VE team fee is $15. I believe the ARRL has a miminum of
    $14 USD

73 de Ray W6RAY
    Visalia, CA DM06ih

... When all else fails, Ham Radio WORKS!!
    --- blueMail/Linux 1.4
    þ Synchronet þ US 99 BBS - Visalia, CA - bbs.quinnnet.org
  • From John Guillory@VERT/MAINLINE to Chris Trainor on Mon Jul 2 13:52:08 2012
    By: Chris Trainor to Digital Man on Sun Jul 01 2012 12:07 am

Hahaha, just about everyone I know has those or the Baofeung or whatever radios... piles of crap.. .but actually work. :) Good for short range chatter or to get on a nearby repeater. And super cheap. :)
    Just don't let your battery get low... I found on field day, once the battery reached the 50% mark, I couldn't reach the repeater. A Quick re-charge got me back on the repeater.... Building a home brew 2m ground plane got me REALLY KICKING! If you want to make your 2w baofeng sound like a 5w I-comm, just put a real antenna on it! Wouldn't mind having the wire and necessary stuf to jack that bad boy up to 200' off the ground and be legal limit!

---
  • From Corey@VERT/TSGC to John Guillory on Mon Jul 2 18:44:33 2012
    By: John Guillory to Chris Trainor on Mon Jul 02 2012 08:52 am

By: Chris Trainor to Digital Man on Sun Jul 01 2012 12:07 am

Hahaha, just about everyone I know has those or the Baofeung or whatever radios... piles of crap.. .but actually work. :) Good for short range chatter or to get on a nearby repeater. And super cheap. :)
    Just don't let your battery get low... I found on field day, once the battery reached the 50% mark, I couldn't reach the repeater. A Quick re-cha got me back on the repeater.... Building a home brew 2m ground plane got me REALLY KICKING! If you want to make your 2w baofeng sound like a 5w I-comm, just put a real antenna on it! Wouldn't mind having the wire and necessary stuf to jack that bad boy up to 200' off the ground and be legal limit!

I once had a icon hand radio. after 50% battery is went into save mode and only had a short range.

---
  • From K6BSD@VERT/WLARB to John Guillory on Tue Jul 3 15:55:28 2012
    By: John Guillory to Chris Trainor on Mon Jul 02 2012 08:52:00

like a 5w I-comm, just put a real antenna on it! Wouldn't mind having the wire and necessary stuf to jack that bad boy up to 200' off the ground and be legal limit!

I'd hate to see what gets transmitted... I expect there's lots of spurs that are only 10-20dB down, so running them through an amp would bring them up to interference level.

---
    þ Synchronet þ Whiskey Lover's Amateur Radio BBS
  • From Kd8ncv@VERT/DXSTAT to Mindless Automaton on Sun Jul 15 06:57:34 2012
    On 6/20/2012 11:45 PM, Mindless Automaton wrote:
    way to do so?

Thankds!

Well this is a little dated of a post, but I would suggest contacting a
    local ham group, checking the internet or chatting around with people
    will usually point you in the right direction. They usually have classes
    to get you ready for the exam and even testing.

As for a radio, ebay and craigslist have been my friend... Ironically I
    got my Yaesu 2m radio from a guy I met on the CB bands, he wanted a
    cobra 148GTL really bad to play with for copnverting and such.
    So it's not too hard to get even a 2m rig to chat on.

73's

kd8ncv

---
    þ Synchronet þ DX Station - xblade.mooo.com
  • From Kd8ncv@VERT/DXSTAT to Phantomrage on Sun Jul 15 07:07:33 2012
    I would like to test out your TNC door if you could send me the
    information and if it's open to me also ;P
    I'm a licenced ham, one with no packet activity, and just a 2 meter in
    the truck.... I need to get another radio ;P

KD8NCV

73's

---
  • From Phantomrage@VERT/PRS to Kd8ncv on Wed Jul 18 02:41:22 2012
    I would like to test out your TNC door if you could send me the information and if it's open to me also ;P
    I'm a licenced ham, one with no packet activity, and just a 2 meter in
    the truck.... I need to get another radio ;P

KD8NCV

woah late response. Sorry, I have been super busy..

If you made a account on the BBS I will get your access setup.

PhantomRage Studios BBS!

---
  • From Kd8ncv@VERT/DXSTAT to Phantomrage on Mon Sep 10 21:31:13 2012
    Re: Re: Phantomrage
    By: Phantomrage to Kd8ncv on Tue Jul 17 2012 21:41:22

I just tried today to telnet in, but kept getting a Connection Timed Out.

73's

I would like to test out your TNC door if you could send me the information and if it's open to me also ;P
    I'm a licenced ham, one with no packet activity, and just a 2 meter in the truck.... I need to get another radio ;P

KD8NCV

woah late response. Sorry, I have been super busy..

If you made a account on the BBS I will get your access setup.

PhantomRage Studios BBS!

---
  • From Phantomrage@VERT/PRS to Kd8ncv on Wed Sep 12 21:54:56 2012

73's

The server is on its last leg. I have a lockup issue. If I am allowed to
    play computer someday I will move it to the new IBM server...

Thanks for the heads up, should be up now, since I am on it. ;)

PhantomRage Studios BBS!

---
  • From Corey@VERT/TSGC to Phantomrage on Thu Sep 13 02:06:26 2012
    By: Phantomrage to Kd8ncv on Wed Sep 12 2012 04:54 pm

73's

The server is on its last leg. I have a lockup issue. If I am allowed to play computer someday I will move it to the new IBM server...

Thanks for the heads up, should be up now, since I am on it. ;)

PhantomRage Studios BBS!

time to put ol' yeller down paw?

---
  • From Poindexter Fortran@VERT/REALITY to Phantomrage on Thu Sep 13 05:11:42 2012

The server is on its last leg. I have a lockup issue. If I am allowed to play computer someday I will move it to the new IBM server...

If you can spare a little time, power down the server, remove the RAM, blow out the dust with a can of air, and reseat the RAM and all of the cables. Sometimes that does wonders to a system that locks up for no reason.

--pF

---
    þ Synchronet þ realitycheckBBS -- http://realitycheckBBS.org
  • From Phantomrage@VERT/PRS to Poindexter Fortran on Sun Sep 23 16:33:41 2012

If you can spare a little time, power down the server, remove the RAM, blow out the dust with a can of air, and reseat the RAM and all of the cables. Sometimes that does wonders to a system that locks up for no reason.

Gave that a try.. Still a no go. So it is on the IBM now. Meh, more
    storage.

PhantomRage Studios BBS!

---
  • From Phantomrage@VERT/PRS to Corey on Sun Sep 23 16:34:18 2012
    time to put ol' yeller down paw?

Yup.. She was a good old server.

PhantomRage Studios BBS!

---