• Fldigi vs HRD

From John Guillory@VERT/MAINLINE to Echicken on Thu May 2 15:23:05 2013
    Mostly user interface issues and the fact that I don't really know what I'm doing to begin with. HRD seems to be more sugar coated... With fldigi I may just not understanding something. I talked to a local ham who doesn't really do much digital. In Fldigi, I select an area in the waterfall where someone appears to be talking, and type in my repl, then I find it easiest to right click and select transmit. There is a transmit button and a few other buttons, but what works best is right-click and transmit. When I do that, the transmitter stays running till I click the transmit button, then it switches back to receive mode where I can hear them reply back (and miss the first part of the message because I have to mouse down to the bottom corner and click....)
    There is no apparent type text and send then switch back to receive. In HRD, I type the text and hit auto and it transmits then switches back to receive.

That is my first issue. Then there's the way the waterfall looks... On fldigi, I see this kinda blue star field looking waterfall with a dark red line straight down and a bright blueish area around it where the signal is coming
    in for psk31. On HRD, I see the similiar blueish area around it, but the PSK31 signal appears like this Bright White wave-form, almost like a cloud floating on the sky... On HRD, a PSK31 signal seems to stick out and say Click here! where as fldigi you kinda have to just look at the same colored lines and dots, and while it's easy enough to recognize, in HRD, it just seems to pop out and say "Quick, Click here!" making it easier for the person who doesn't know what they're doing.... It might be highlighting the wave form based on signal recognition.. You know, I have it set for PSK31, so if it analyizes the signal and finds a PSK31, it high lights it... where as fldigi is supposed to be able to analyize the signal and tell you what it is using (yet to get that to work right!)

---
    þ Synchronet þ Roach Guts -- kingcoder.net
  • From echicken@VERT/ECBBS to John Guillory on Thu May 2 18:11:55 2013
    Re: Fldigi vs HRD
    By: John Guillory to Echicken on Thu May 02 2013 10:23:05

doesn't really do much digital. In Fldigi, I select an area in the waterfall where someone appears to be talking, and type in my repl, then I find it easiest to right click and select transmit. There is a transmit button and a few other buttons, but what works best is right-click and transmit. When I do that, the transmitter stays running till I click the transmit button, then it switches back to receive mode where I can hear

Yes, this threw me off at first as well, in fldigi. I think I found some decent way to work with it, but it's been a while since I've used it. I only operate digimodes on HF every so often.

a cloud floating on the sky... On HRD, a PSK31 signal seems to stick out and say Click here! where as fldigi you kinda have to just look at the same colored lines and dots, and while it's easy enough to recognize, in

It might take some messing around with your receive audio levels (on your rig, on the Signalink, depending on how things are hooked up) to get things just right. Provided the signal is good enough, I've always found them to be pretty obvious in fldigi. However when there is a lot of noise, or a signal is weak, it can be difficult to distinguish a signal from the noise on the rest of the waterfall.

lights it... where as fldigi is supposed to be able to analyize the signal and tell you what it is using (yet to get that to work right!)

Hmm, I wasn't aware of this feature. I'll have to check it out. There have been a number of times that I've seen a signal in the waterfall, but had no idea which modem to use on it. I'll have a look later, but do you know what this feature is called or where I should enable it?

echicken
    electronic chicken bbs - bbs.electronicchicken.com - 416-273-7230

---
    þ Synchronet þ electronic chicken bbs - bbs.electronicchicken.com
  • From Nonya@VERT/PIMPTAST to John Guillory on Thu May 2 21:41:31 2013
    By: John Guillory to Echicken on Thu May 02 2013 10:23:05

Great. You just made me spend $99 to get the latest version of HRD.
    I've been using FLDIGI on a Mac and now I use HRD on an XP VM.

Nonya - Pimptastic BBS

---
    þ Synchronet þ Nonya's Pimptastic BBS
  • From Terry Bendell@VERT/TERRY-4A to echicken on Sat May 4 07:40:00 2013
    I just use the DM780 part of the HRD program. As my old TS-520S cant use
    the fancy rig control. As the TS-520 has Landline inputs and outputs I run directly into them from the soundcard and run the rig in Vox mode. It works like a charm and the output is clean and spec.

you can often find me on the waterfall on 30 meters, 14.070 is my main haunt usually near the middle of the passband.

de ve3tkb
    73 de ve3tkb

---
    þ Synchronet þ TERRY-4A8EA4673 - Londonfog.dtdns.net
  • From John Guillory@VERT/MAINLINE to echicken on Mon May 6 09:15:56 2013
    By: echicken to John Guillory on Thu May 02 2013 13:11:55

It might take some messing around with your receive audio levels (on your rig, on the Signalink, depending on how things are hooked up) to get
    things just right. Provided the signal is good enough, I've always found them to be pretty obvious in fldigi. However when there is a lot of
    noise, or a signal is weak, it can be difficult to distinguish a signal
    from the noise on the rest of the waterfall.
    In the data port. Everything at the default level works in HRD.

Hmm, I wasn't aware of this feature. I'll have to check it out. There
    have been a number of times that I've seen a signal in the waterfall, but had no idea which modem to use on it. I'll have a look later, but do you know what this feature is called or where I should enable it?
    I was thinking it might be the frequency analysis on op mode. I've read
    somewhere that it (or another program) analyies the premble tones and recognizes the protocol from there.... Hmmm, in the beginner's guide, section 1.4 mentions RSID (Automatic mode detection and tuning). It also mentions other programs offer this RSID feature as an option.

---
    þ Synchronet þ Roach Guts -- kingcoder.net
  • From echicken@VERT/ECBBS to John Guillory on Mon May 6 15:22:58 2013
    By: John Guillory to echicken on Mon May 06 2013 04:15:56

enable it? I was thinking it might be the frequency analysis on op

Thanks - I'll have a look for it the next time I fire up fldigi.

echicken
    electronic chicken bbs - bbs.electronicchicken.com - 416-273-7230

---
    þ Synchronet þ electronic chicken bbs - bbs.electronicchicken.com