• TNC-Pi

From Kc2ugv@VERT/KC2UGV to All on Mon Sep 2 03:40:30 2013
    Anyone use the TNC-Pi? Considering getting one (Since I'm looking to migrate my SBBS install to a Pi I have inbound), and considering the TNC-Pi over the soundmodem solution I have in place now.

Any suggestions? Is soundmodem on the Pi comparable?

---
    þ Synchronet þ Sent from KC2UGV-1
  • From Deuce@VERT/SYNCNIX to Kc2ugv on Tue Sep 3 14:59:24 2013
    Re: TNC-Pi
    By: Kc2ugv to All on Sun Sep 01 2013 10:40 pm

Anyone use the TNC-Pi? Considering getting one (Since I'm looking to migrate my SBBS install to a Pi I have inbound), and considering the TNC-Pi over the soundmodem solution I have in place now.

I have one, works fine. Wouldn't want to use soundmodem on a Pi, so if you want packet on a Pi, it's likely your best bet.

The mounting to the Pi board is a bit wonky, and the DE-9 connector needs to be
    cleaned up to avoid shorting.

---
    http://DuckDuckGo.com/ a better search engine that respects your privacy.
    þ Synchronet þ My Brand-New BBS (All the cool SysOps run STOCK!)
  • From Kc2ugv@VERT/KC2UGV to Deuce on Fri Sep 6 12:08:40 2013
    By: Kc2ugv to All on Sun Sep 01 2013 10:40 pm

I have one, works fine. Wouldn't want to use soundmodem on a Pi, so if you want packet on a Pi, it's likely your best bet.

The mounting to the Pi board is a bit wonky, and the DE-9 connector needs
    to be cleaned up to avoid shorting.

---
    http://DuckDuckGo.com/ a better search engine that respects your privacy.
    þ Synchronet þ My Brand-New BBS (All the cool SysOps run STOCK!)

Thanks for the input! Is there a separate case available for it, or does it fit in a standard Pi case? Or, and I left to fashion one?

---
    þ Synchronet þ Sent from KC2UGV-1
  • From opusx@VERT/ECBBS to All on Wed Nov 20 02:49:03 2013
    By: Deuce to Kc2ugv on Tue Sep 03 2013 09:59:24

I also have a TNC-Pi and find it to be a fine solution. The bottom of the DB9 does need a little mask to prevent a short, I just used electrical tape. Compared to soundmodem, I had no luck with soundmodem on Pi, but the TNC-Pi works like a champ. Quite an easy build as well.

---
    þ Synchronet þ electronic chicken bbs - bbs.electronicchicken.com
  • From KF5QEO@VERT/MAINLINE to opusx on Tue Dec 10 03:19:55 2013
    By: opusx to All on Tue Nov 19 2013 20:49:03

I also have a TNC-Pi and find it to be a fine solution. The bottom of the DB9 does need a little mask to prevent a short, I just used electrical
    tape. Compared to soundmodem, I had no luck with soundmodem on Pi, but the TNC-Pi works like a champ. Quite an easy build as well.
    I'm having terrable luck with fldigi, Raspberry Pi, and Signalink. The TNC-Pi looks easy enough, though I'd have to get the parts and make my own cable. Would be simplier to make a RJ-45 -> DB9 adapter so I could just unplug the signalink cable and plug it into the TNC-Pi. My ham group is wanting me to do a presentation of using the Raspberry Pi for Digital Modes. Might be a good idea to try. I know I had at one time the Raspberry Pi recognizing the Signalink, now it is powering it up, but no recognition of the Audio device. But then again, audio on the Pi seems to be something not for the faint of heart to begin with.

---
    þ Synchronet þ Roach Guts -- kingcoder.net