• The Chinese Pixie kit

From ZeoNet@VERT/ECBBS to All on Fri Dec 11 10:27:42 2015
    For those who aren't aware, there are a number of 40m QRP kits available on eBay for reeeeally cheap (like, $5-15 cheap). The two most popular ones, from what I can tell, are the Pixie (based on the minimalist radio of the same name), and the Frog Sounds, which is usually around $10 and loosely based on the Rockmite (though with higher output power). I ordered one of each, and they got here yesterday.

The Pixie went together great, even with the lackluster Chinglish instructions, but I accidentally put a voltage regulator in the wrong place on the Frog Sounds and one thing led to another... I ruined the board before it was finished. Oh, well, t'was only $10.

Now, I don't exactly have any test gear to measure with, but I can try to comment on how the Pixie does. I haven't transmitted yet (due to lack of a good 40m antenna), but every source seems to say it puts out c. 500mW; that's the output power of my Rockmite, and I've had lots of success with that, so I don't see why it wouldn't work. The receiver isn't fantastic, but it has no issues picking up signals, even hooked up to my compromise 20/30m vertical. There's no volume control, just a RIT pot that gives the receiver about 3kHz of swing. BCB interference was negligible. I powered it with a 12.6v lipo from Banggood, but it's supposed to work fine from a 9v battery.

My verdict: Not a base station, but a whole lotta fun. If you wanna play around on HF CW, pick up a Pixie (or hell, get a Frog Sounds if you're good with kits).

---
    þ Synchronet þ electronic chicken bbs - bbs.electronicchicken.com
  • From Zero Reader@VERT/ALKY to ZeoNet on Fri Dec 11 13:42:00 2015
    On 12/11/15, ZeoNet said the following...

For those who aren't aware, there are a number of 40m QRP kits available on eBay for reeeeally cheap (like, $5-15 cheap). The two most popular ones, from what I can tell, are the Pixie (based on the minimalist radio of the same name), and the Frog Sounds, which is usually around $10 and loosely based on the Rockmite (though with higher output power). I

Thanks for the review on the Pixie. My radio club may be building those as
    part of a weekend workshop. We figured we couldn't go wrong for the price. We've assembled kits from Breadboardradio.com before and those are excellent
    as well.

One of our members used a Pixie to make QSOs from a cruise ship last month
    and logged a handful of contacts. It sounds like a lot of fun. I look forward to building one.

|10z|02E|08RO |10r|02E|08ADER|07

--- Mystic BBS v1.11 (Raspberry Pi)
    * Origin: Alcoholiday / Est. 1995 / alco.bbs.io