• HRO and antenna woes

From Xucaen@VERT/TIMEPORT to All on Fri Nov 4 15:34:17 2016
    A few weeks ago, I renewed my General class license. They other day, I got a catalog from HRO (quite a coincidence! ;-). Some of the rigs are very nice, but there are no prices in the catalog. I looked online and - holy cow! Most are very expensive!. I'd love to get back into HAM, but I'm thinking I can only afford a mobile. I'd like to get a duel band, but I've never been any good with antennas. I once had a 2m mag mount, but it kept falling off the car. So, if I do buy a mobile, I want to be able to install a permanent antenna. I recall from past research that the easiest antenna installation involves buying a special bit for my drill, taking out the interior ceiling, drilling the hole in the roof, and wiring it all up with some kind of water proof adhesive. Then, with luck or magic, get my ceiling put back in and hope there aren't any leaks. Ugh. Are there places that will install antennas for me? I'd rather have a professional job than risk ruining my car. I mean, it's only a Yaris, but it's all I have. Has anyone else here ever installed a permanent mobile antenna? Got any tips or suggestions for having it installed professionally?

---
    þ Synchronet þ The Time Portal - timeport.synchro.net:2112 - Home of Labyrinth.
  • From Poindexter Fortran@VERT/REALITY to Xucaen on Mon Nov 14 19:20:00 2016
    Xucaen wrote to All <=-

there aren't any leaks. Ugh. Are there places that will install
    antennas for me? I'd rather have a professional job than risk ruining
    my car. I mean, it's only a Yaris, but it's all I have. Has anyone else here ever installed a permanent mobile antenna? Got any tips or suggestions for having it installed professionally?

I'm sure any car stereo place could do it. Aren't there trunk mounts
    that fit over the lip of the trunk/hatch? Then, you wouldn't have to
    run inside the headliner.

... Powered By Celeron (Tualatin). Engineered for the future.
    --- MultiMail/Win32 v0.49
    þ Synchronet þ realitycheckBBS -- http://realitycheckBBS.org
  • From Zero Reader@VERT/ALKY to Poindexter Fortran on Fri Nov 18 17:15:00 2016
    On 11/14/16, Poindexter Fortran said the following...

Xucaen wrote to All <=-

there aren't any leaks. Ugh. Are there places that will install antennas for me? I'd rather have a professional job than risk ruining my car. I mean, it's only a Yaris, but it's all I have. Has anyone el here ever installed a permanent mobile antenna? Got any tips or suggestions for having it installed professionally?

I'm sure any car stereo place could do it. Aren't there trunk mounts
    that fit over the lip of the trunk/hatch? Then, you wouldn't have to
    run inside the headliner.

What you want is either the Comet or Diamond mount for hatchbacks.

I had the Comet version: http://a.co/j0BfflD

It's a lip mount and if properly installed, won't do anything to your car. I had one on my Focus hatchback until the guys at the car dealership decided to run the car through the car wash as a courtesy and broke the thing.

I'd also suggest the Diamond 2m/440 "radialless" antenna that doesn't require
    a ground plane. That way you don't have to worry about making a ground connection with the mount and the metal of your car.

Here's the exact model: https://www.dxengineering.com/parts/dmn-nr770hbnmo

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A31 (Raspberry Pi)
    * Origin: Alcoholiday / Est. 1995 / alco.bbs.io
  • From Gate Keeper@VERT/THEGATEB to Xucaen on Sat May 20 23:50:14 2017
    Re: HRO and antenna woes
    By: Xucaen to All on Fri Nov 04 2016 08:34 am

A few weeks ago, I renewed my General class license. They other day, I got a love to get back into HAM, but I'm thinking I can only afford a mobile. I'd tall a permanent antenna. I recall from past research that the easiest anten sive. Then, with luck or magic, get my ceiling put back in and hope there ar e. Has anyone else here ever installed a permanent mobile antenna? Got any t

Check eBay. Thats where I got my mint condition Icom IC-718 for $200 4 years ago. Its been a work horse ever since running digital (PSK31, JT9, JT65, RTTY, etc).

73 de N4DLT, Lawndale, NC USA

(*) The Gate BBS - Lawndale, NC USA [thegateb.synchro.net] (*)

---
    þ Synchronet þ The Gate BBS * thegateb.synchro.net * Cherryville, NC USA