• SyncWX

From kk4qbn@VERT/KK4QBN to All on Fri Dec 16 22:18:10 2016
    Hello All,

I know the creator of SyncWX has been here from time to time, but I'm posting this for all, maybe someone else is having this issue, or has had, or can tell me if their SyncWX is still working.

When SyncWX fires up, now it tells me that Weather Underground could not find specified City.

I have it setup to fall back to NOIP and have used both by ZIP code, and AIRPORT code for our local airport. and it errors out on everything.

Just wondering if it is something I have done, or if it is wxunderground. I've replaced Syncwx with a version from Github, still getting same error..

anyone??

--

Tim Smith (KK4QBN)
    KK4QBN BBS

---
    þ Synchronet þ KK4QBN BBS - (706)422-9538 - kk4qbn.synchro.net, Chatsworth GA US
  • From Lobo@VERT/DALISCAT to kk4qbn on Fri Dec 16 23:53:30 2016
    Re: SyncWX
    By: kk4qbn to All on Fri Dec 16 2016 02:18 pm

posting this for all, maybe someone else is having this issue, or has had, or can tell me if their SyncWX is still working.

I can tell you for sure that it is working. I just did the check on mine and
    showing not only the weather but also extended hourly warnings as well
    (neato).
    What are your actual errors, if the creator of wx sees it?
    Perhaps try to delete your configuration, download again and try with a
    stock default setup?

|09,.-''|12Dali's Cat - "I love it" |07- Andre Breton, 1925 |09''-., |05daliscat.synchro.net

---
    þ Synchronet þ Dali's Cat
  • From kk4qbn@VERT/KK4QBN to Lobo on Sat Dec 17 03:23:59 2016
    By: Lobo to kk4qbn on Fri Dec 16 2016 03:53 pm

I can tell you for sure that it is working. I just did the check on mine and showing not only the weather but also extended hourly warnings as well

this is the actual error:

12/16 07:21:25p Node 3 ERROR in weather.js: api.wunderground.com returned a 'querynotfound' error with this description: 'No cities match your search query'.

and I've re-installed everything with stock config, shich should'nt be an issue anyway because I never changed anything.

--

Tim Smith (KK4QBN)
    KK4QBN BBS

---
    þ Synchronet þ KK4QBN BBS - (706)422-9538 - kk4qbn.synchro.net, Chatsworth GA US
  • From echicken@VERT/ECBBS to kk4qbn on Sat Dec 17 04:09:12 2016
    By: kk4qbn to Lobo on Fri Dec 16 2016 19:23:59

12/16 07:21:25p Node 3 ERROR in weather.js: api.wunderground.com returned a 'querynotfound' error with this description: 'No cities match your search query'.

and I've re-installed everything with stock config, shich should'nt be an issue anyway because I never changed anything.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I think this one has some improvements over the original and is probably the best one to use:

https://github.com/KenDB3/syncWXremix/

Can you share your [syncWX] section from modopts.ini, redacting your weather underground API key?

Also, try visiting the following address with a web browser, replacing KEY with your API key, and the X in X.json with your 'fallback' value:

api.wunderground.com/api/KEY/conditions/forecast/astronomy/alerts/en/q/X.json

If I'm reading the script right, airport codes, etc. should work in place of X.
    You might want to play with that value a bit and see if you can find something that works.

---
    echicken
    electronic chicken bbs - bbs.electronicchicken.com - 416-273-7230
    þ Synchronet þ electronic chicken bbs - bbs.electronicchicken.com
  • From Lobo@VERT/DALISCAT to kk4qbn on Sat Dec 17 04:48:29 2016
    By: kk4qbn to Lobo on Fri Dec 16 2016 07:23 pm

I just checked mine and is indeed SyncWXRemix version so you should just
    follow that link by echicken from his post (well ok, here again :) )

github.com/KenDB3/syncWXremix/

so with this one, maybe you won't have any troubles right off the bat.

|09,.-''|12Dali's Cat - "I love it" |07- Andre Breton, 1925 |09''-., |05daliscat.synchro.net

---
    þ Synchronet þ Dali's Cat
  • From kk4qbn@VERT/KK4QBN to echicken on Sat Dec 17 07:29:23 2016
    By: echicken to kk4qbn on Fri Dec 16 2016 08:09 pm

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I think this one has some improvements over the original and is probably the best one to use:

https://github.com/KenDB3/syncWXremix/

I called it SyncWx, but wx remix is what I am using

Can you share your [syncWX] section from modopts.ini, redacting your weather underground API key?

[syncWX]
    wungrndAPIkey = XXXXXXXXXX
    weathericon_ext = .asc
    fallback_type = noip
    fallback = 30705

It worked beautifully until around the time when I had issues with Telnet/Rlogin working correctly inside my network and when I added my hostname to my hosts file. I know there is no way this could have anything to do with it.

I've downloaded a fresh version from Github "just incase" I screwed something up and forgot, still having same issue.

Also, try visiting the following address with a web browser, replacing KEY with your API key, and the X in X.json with your 'fallback' value:

api.wunderground.com/api/KEY/conditions/forecast/astronomy/alerts/en/q/X.j son

Trying Now..

Manually pulling it up on the browser works with no issues, it's spitting out forecast info for my zip. I've tried my zip, airport codes, even zip for Atlanta, etc.. so doing it this way pretty much tells me I have broken something somewhere in SyncWX, but I don't understand how it can still be broken when I replaced the software.

I did find out that I killed loopback system when I changed the hosts file, neither localhost or 127.0.0.1 will resolve back to the computer. so thats maybe it, but I would have though it would break more than that.

You might want to play with that value a bit and see if you can find something that works.

You've most definatly gave me a place to start.. wish I could make more sense out of this JS than I do.. sure I will sooner or later.. its all greek right now though.

--

Tim Smith (KK4QBN)
    KK4QBN BBS

---
  • From kk4qbn@VERT/KK4QBN to echicken on Sat Dec 17 07:57:51 2016
    By: echicken to kk4qbn on Fri Dec 16 2016 08:09 pm

I just don't know.. I freaking perplexed here.. nothing is wrong with my loopback stuff.. I thought I had broke that, but did'nt I thought maybe the issue was I had ever service and server listening on my router assigned ip *except* json service, it was listening on 127.0.0.1 instead of 192.* so I have EVERY server and EVERY service now listening on BOTH ips, still no go.. I've tried with noip, bbsip. different zips.. everything I could try, I know my api code works, with your help I was shown that, now I'm just lost.

lovely :)

--

Tim Smith (KK4QBN)
    KK4QBN BBS

---
  • From echicken@VERT/ECBBS to kk4qbn on Sat Dec 17 08:45:48 2016
    By: kk4qbn to echicken on Fri Dec 16 2016 23:29:23

I did find out that I killed loopback system when I changed the hosts file, neither localhost or 127.0.0.1 will resolve back to the computer. so thats maybe it, but I would have though it would break more than that.

Hmm, well that may have been shoddy advice on my part, but I wouldn't expect that sort of problem. I suppose it depends on exactly what changes you made to that file.

You've most definatly gave me a place to start.. wish I could make more sense out of this JS than I do.. sure I will sooner or later.. its all greek right now though.

Well, that script gets a bit crazy in some places, particularly in the area that's likely to be at the heart of your problem. It's doing a bunch of stuff in the getQuerySuffix() function to try to determine how best to look up the weather at your locale - and there are a bunch of different cases it needs to handle here.

So try this:

Edit line 68 so that it looks like:

var wungrndQuery = '30705.json'; // getQuerySuffix();

If I'm reading the script properly, that should bypass the bit of logic that may be causing you trouble here. If this happens to "fix" your problem, it's not a permanent fix, but it will have narrowed down the source of the trouble - and the next step will be slightly more annoying, bet we'll cross that bridge when we come to it.

---
    echicken
  • From echicken@VERT/ECBBS to kk4qbn on Sat Dec 17 08:49:21 2016
    By: kk4qbn to echicken on Fri Dec 16 2016 23:57:51

ips, still no go.. I've tried with noip, bbsip. different zips.. everything I could try, I know my api code works, with your help I was shown that, now I'm just lost.

Well, see my last message. If that helps, we'll be closer to a solution.

Out of curiosity, how are you connecting to your BBS when you see this problem? Different stuff happens in that script when you connect from the same machine as your BBS, from fTelnet, from the same LAN, from the outside, etc. Might help us narrow it down some more.

---
    echicken
  • From kk4qbn@VERT/KK4QBN to echicken on Sat Dec 17 15:01:45 2016
    By: echicken to kk4qbn on Sat Dec 17 2016 12:45 am

I did find out that I killed loopback system when I changed the
    hosts file, neither localhost or 127.0.0.1 will resolve back to the
    computer. so thats maybe it, but I would have though it would break

no, you are correct that was the correct actions for that.. I have an issue and just have no idea what it is.. lol.. its happened plenty of times before, I'm
    sure its one tiny miniscule thing I'm overlooking somewhere..

boom, there is what I was looking for, see when you gave me the URL thats instanty what I was trying to dig out of the file but could'nt find it :)

Well.. shoot.. was hoping it would work there but did'nt was giving, TypeError: "30705.json" is not a function and I did include 30705.json in '' I used that on 94 and it works, but will never give me the option to use the users ip again.. think I will make it a point to fix this and maybe I will learn a bit more code while I'm at it. Thanks for everything.

--

Tim Smith (KK4QBN)
    KK4QBN BBS

---
  • From kk4qbn@VERT/KK4QBN to echicken on Sat Dec 17 15:04:56 2016
    By: echicken to kk4qbn on Sat Dec 17 2016 12:49 am

ips, still no go.. I've tried with noip, bbsip. different zips..
    everything I could try, I know my api code works, with your help I
    was shown that, now I'm just lost.
    Well, see my last message. If that helps, we'll be closer to a solution.

Out of curiosity, how are you connecting to your BBS when you see this problem? Different stuff happens in that script when you connect from the same machine as your BBS, from fTelnet, from the same LAN, from the outside, etc. Might help us narrow it down some more.

I'm connecting from a different machine in the same network, I've tried it from the local machine too, and a totally different machine out of the network with no-go.. I have no idea what I have done to the environment to break this particular script, everything else is working so good. which now this one is halfway there :)

--

Tim Smith (KK4QBN)
    KK4QBN BBS

---
  • From kk4qbn@VERT/KK4QBN to echicken on Sat Dec 17 15:22:26 2016
    By: kk4qbn to echicken on Sat Dec 17 2016 07:01 am

I see where I made a mistake giving the last type error, fixed it and replaced lin 98 to what it is supposed to be.. its working now, but I'm still going to hunt down why it isnt resolving the users Ip..

--

Tim Smith (KK4QBN)
    KK4QBN BBS

---
  • From kk4qbn@VERT/KK4QBN to echicken on Sat Dec 17 15:34:31 2016
    By: kk4qbn to echicken on Sat Dec 17 2016 07:22 am

Well, I've changed it all back to default after resiting the registry setting for tcip crap in windows using netsh and it works.. so it boils down to something I fried somewhere along the way in the tcp/ip setting.. everything else seems to work ok too so i believe the world is good again..

Heres a random chicken hatching from its egg in your honor:

v
    .-=-. .-=-, .-=-, (^) -@) (@< ( ) (@<
    ( ) ( ,' ) ( ,^ ) (`\~/') (\(~)/) (\(~)/) (\(~)/) (< )
    ~-=-~ ~-=-~ ~-=-~ ~-=-~ ~-=-~ ~-=-~ ~-=-~ ^^

:-)

--

Tim Smith (KK4QBN)
    KK4QBN BBS

---
  • From echicken@VERT/ECBBS to kk4qbn on Sat Dec 17 21:35:40 2016
    By: kk4qbn to echicken on Sat Dec 17 2016 07:22:26

I see where I made a mistake giving the last type error, fixed it and replaced lin 98 to what it is supposed to be.. its working now, but I'm still going to hunt down why it isnt resolving the users Ip..

Beneath line 68, add the following:

log(LOG_INFO, 'SYNCWX ' + getQuerySuffix());
    log(LOG_INFO, 'SYNCWX ' + fallback + ',' + fallback.length);

Check your terminal server log for this output when running the script.

---
    echicken
  • From echicken@VERT/ECBBS to kk4qbn on Sat Dec 17 21:37:02 2016
    By: kk4qbn to echicken on Sat Dec 17 2016 07:34:31

Well, I've changed it all back to default after resiting the registry setting for tcip crap in windows using netsh and it works.. so it boils down to something I fried somewhere along the way in the tcp/ip setting.. everything else seems to work ok too so i believe the world is good again..

Ah, very good. I won't even ask about the registry thing and will just be glad that it's working for you now.

---
    echicken
  • From kk4qbn@VERT/KK4QBN to echicken on Sun Dec 18 07:54:40 2016
    By: echicken to kk4qbn on Sat Dec 17 2016 01:37 pm

Ah, very good. I won't even ask about the registry thing and will just be glad that it's working for you now.

Yeah, Better not, I have no earthly Idea in hell what prompted me to do this, I havent fooled with that in YEARS, but it was still in my LT memory.. so I tried it.. and low and behold... I knew something was fishy, just could'nt put my finger on it.. thats why I *TRIED* to provide enough info incase it happened to someone else.. but a developer that would put a hosts file in system32/drivers/etc doesn't suprise me when stupid shit happens.

--

Tim Smith (KK4QBN)
    KK4QBN BBS

---