• Blast from the past

From monsieurmarc@VERT/ECBBS to echicken on Fri Mar 17 15:17:48 2017
    Hi echicken,

Is your Synchronet ax25 work still usable. I notice the wiki pages are gone now.

Kind Regards
    Marc (2W0PNT)

---
    þ Synchronet þ electronic chicken bbs - bbs.electronicchicken.com
  • From echicken@VERT/ECBBS to monsieurmarc on Fri Mar 17 17:14:41 2017
    Re: Blast from the past
    By: monsieurmarc to echicken on Fri Mar 17 2017 08:17:48

Is your Synchronet ax25 work still usable. I notice the wiki pages are gone now.

No, it is not. I will put some work into it at some future date, but don't waste your time on it now.

---
    echicken
    electronic chicken bbs - bbs.electronicchicken.com - 416-273-7230
  • From monsieurmarc@VERT/ECBBS to echicken on Fri Mar 17 17:17:00 2017
    Understood. Thank you for coming me back to me.
    I have wanted to try a packet bbs for a years and finally find myself in a position to do it :-)
    I can play with something else, I just happen to like Synchronet.

Thanks again
    Marc (2W0PNT)

---
  • From echicken@VERT/ECBBS to monsieurmarc on Fri Mar 17 17:25:51 2017
    By: monsieurmarc to echicken on Fri Mar 17 2017 10:17:00

I have wanted to try a packet bbs for a years and finally find myself in a position to do it :-)

Well, if you're interested in this I can start working on it sooner. I was thinking about it just yesterday or the day before and I keep meaning to do something about it.

Might mess around with it this weekend.

---
    echicken
  • From monsieurmarc@VERT/ECBBS to echicken on Fri Mar 17 17:32:41 2017
    I am interested.

So some context is I have finally moved from living in a city with no antenna space to a nice countryside residence with a huge garden and plenty of antenna space.
    Couple this with the fact I have quietly been buying up packet modems cheap on ebay for a few years (among other old tech) I now want to have a play.
    There isnt a packet bbs anywhere in range of my QTH and I really want to see what its like. Given I cannot connect to anything on RF on the only way is to run my own. If it works out I could easily furnish local hams with modems if they were interested (thats hard to predict).

So yes I would love it if you looked at it :-) Whenever be that sooner or indeed later.

Regards
    Marc

---
  • From echicken@VERT/ECBBS to monsieurmarc on Fri Mar 17 17:52:58 2017
    By: monsieurmarc to echicken on Fri Mar 17 2017 10:32:41

So some context is I have finally moved from living in a city with no antenna space to a nice countryside residence with a huge garden and plenty of antenna space.

I'm in pretty much the opposite situation right now, which makes working on VHF/UHF my best bet for radio fun. HTs and small antennas work best for me
    at the moment.

I digress, but were I in your shoes I would be messing around with HF and the variety of modes available there. That said, there is some HF packet activity, at the blazing baud rate of 300.

play. There isnt a packet bbs anywhere in range of my QTH and I really want to see what its like. Given I cannot connect to anything on RF on the

You'll find that packet BBSs are very slow and boring. However, hosting one from Synchronet would mean plenty of ways to introduce new content and make it more interesting. Plus it's just kinda fun to be able to call a BBS, over the air, at a considerable distance, without much if anything in the way of supporting infrastructure.

only way is to run my own. If it works out I could easily furnish local hams with modems if they were interested (thats hard to predict).

Very hard to predict, but maybe you can get some people interested. Would be neat if you could get people on board with using a BBS as a hub for club discussion, DX spotting, etc.

So yes I would love it if you looked at it :-) Whenever be that sooner or

It'll be sooner; seems around this time each year I take a bit of interest in it again. Most of the work is already done, just needs to be tidied up.

---
    echicken
  • From monsieurmarc@VERT/ECBBS to echicken on Fri Mar 17 18:35:21 2017
    I have a KX3 that I use for HF which I love especially on psk31 so I am not ignoring that element of Radio :)

Marc

---
  • From KK4QBN@VERT/KK4QBN to monsieurmarc on Sat Mar 18 01:36:40 2017
    By: monsieurmarc to echicken on Fri Mar 17 2017 10:32 am

Couple this with the fact I have quietly been buying up packet modems cheap on ebay for a few years (among other old tech) I now want to have a play. There isnt a packet bbs anywhere in range of my QTH and I really want to see what its like. Given I cannot connect to anything on RF on the only way is to run my own. If it works out I could easily furnish local

Have you tried the ISS yet? I have'nt teh technology to do it yet, but I have been lucky enough to pick up a QSO of them with a local school or college, really wished I could have worked them, I'm trying to get up the equipment to at least work the BBS, then hopefully after that I can work on connecticity for local hams to my BBS.

--

Tim Smith (KK4QBN)
    KK4QBN BBS

---
    þ Synchronet þ KK4QBN + (706)-422-9538 + kk4qbn.synchro.net + 24/7/365
  • From Vk3jed@VERT/FREEWAY to echicken on Sat Mar 18 17:00:00 2017
    echicken wrote to monsieurmarc <=-

No, it is not. I will put some work into it at some future date, but don't waste your time on it now.

Looking forward to seeing this one working. I'm slowly working towards getting my AX.25 systems on air. :)

... Internal consistency is more highly valued than efficiency.
    --- MultiMail/Win32 v0.49
    þ Synchronet þ Freeway BBS in Bendigo, Australia.
  • From Vk3jed@VERT/FREEWAY to monsieurmarc on Sat Mar 18 17:04:00 2017
    monsieurmarc wrote to echicken <=-

I have wanted to try a packet bbs for a years and finally find myself
    in a position to do it :-)

I'd like to play around too. My BBS probably won't have any other users (I'm not sure who around me still maintains packet capability). What I'd also like to know is if there's still a way to gate echoes between Synchronet and a packet BBS. I know there used to be years ago (Australian packet radio bulletins were gated to Fidonet back then), but Google came up empty handed when I went searching.

... I luvs ya, but everyone else thinks you're an ass.
  • From Vk3jed@VERT/FREEWAY to echicken on Sat Mar 18 17:05:00 2017

Well, if you're interested in this I can start working on it sooner. I was thinking about it just yesterday or the day before and I keep
    meaning to do something about it.

I'm interested too. :)

Watching with interest.

... Don't sweat petty things.... or pet sweaty things.
  • From Vk3jed@VERT/FREEWAY to monsieurmarc on Sat Mar 18 17:10:00 2017

Couple this with the fact I have quietly been buying up packet modems cheap on ebay for a few years (among other old tech) I now want to have
    a play. There isnt a packet bbs anywhere in range of my QTH and I
    really want to see what its like. Given I cannot connect to anything
    on RF on the only way is to run my own. If it works out I could easily furnish local hams with modems if they were interested (thats hard to predict).

So yes I would love it if you looked at it :-) Whenever be that sooner
    or indeed later.

I'm in a similar boat to you, there are no local packet BBSs, so I would have to run my own. Connectivity would be VHF packet for local users, and AXIP or HAMnet IP for DX users. I am also setting up LinBPQ to perform the connectivity functions.

... Act my age? I've never BEEN my age before!
  • From Vk3jed@VERT/FREEWAY to echicken on Sat Mar 18 17:14:00 2017

I digress, but were I in your shoes I would be messing around with HF
    and the variety of modes available there. That said, there is some HF packet activity, at the blazing baud rate of 300.

HF digital modes are pretty impressive these days, highly recommended.

You'll find that packet BBSs are very slow and boring. However, hosting one from Synchronet would mean plenty of ways to introduce new content
    and make it more interesting. Plus it's just kinda fun to be able to
    call a BBS, over the air, at a considerable distance, without much if anything in the way of supporting infrastructure.

I do like the idea of putting a Synchronet board on packet. I might even consider setting up a second SBBS system dedicated to packet radio, which will solve any content issues, since only hams could access that copy of SBBS, and access could be more tightly controlled.

only way is to run my own. If it works out I could easily furnish local hams with modems if they were interested (thats hard to predict).

Very hard to predict, but maybe you can get some people interested.
    Would be neat if you could get people on board with using a BBS as a
    hub for club discussion, DX spotting, etc.

Hmm, this thread is giving me some good ideas. Might have to have a word with the local radio club. :)

So yes I would love it if you looked at it :-) Whenever be that sooner or

It'll be sooner; seems around this time each year I take a bit of
    interest in it again. Most of the work is already done, just needs to
    be tidied up.

Please keep us posted.

... No one can feel as helpless as the owner of a sick goldfish.
  • From echicken@VERT/ECBBS to KK4QBN on Sat Mar 18 05:24:27 2017
    By: KK4QBN to monsieurmarc on Fri Mar 17 2017 18:36:40

Have you tried the ISS yet? I have'nt teh technology to do it yet, but I

college, really wished I could have worked them, I'm trying to get up the equipment to at least work the BBS, then hopefully after that I can work

I worked the BBS on the ISS one time. You're not missing much, but it's one of those things that you do just so that you can say you did.

Apparently it's a bit frowned upon, since your session will tie things up during the ISS pass and prevent other people from getting in. Seems like an unwritten rule, though, and I don't bother myself too much with those.

---
    echicken
  • From echicken@VERT/ECBBS to Vk3jed on Sat Mar 18 05:28:27 2017
    Re: Re: Blast from the past
    By: Vk3jed to monsieurmarc on Sat Mar 18 2017 10:04:00

also like to know is if there's still a way to gate echoes between Synchronet and a packet BBS. I know there used to be years ago (Australian packet radio bulletins were gated to Fidonet back then), but Google came

Can't say what utilities may exist for this purpose at the moment, but that would certainly become possible with Synchronet serving as a packet BBS. The same code that assembles & disassembles packets and talks to the TNC can interface with the BBS' message areas directly.

---
    echicken
  • From echicken@VERT/ECBBS to Vk3jed on Sat Mar 18 05:37:13 2017
    By: Vk3jed to echicken on Sat Mar 18 2017 10:14:00

Lots of fun ones to try and I've enjoyed many of them, usually using fldigi.

I do like the idea of putting a Synchronet board on packet. I might even consider setting up a second SBBS system dedicated to packet radio, which will solve any content issues, since only hams could access that copy of SBBS, and access could be more tightly controlled.

When I had this "mostly working" in the past, I had a bad-words filter in front of every string that was sent through the packet interface, just to stop things from slipping through. Ideally there would be a restriction flag that gets set when a user is on packet (or an exemption flag when they're not) which controls access to various parts of the BBS. This would require some extra configuration, but might be better than running a separate instance.

---
    echicken
  • From KK4QBN@VERT/KK4QBN to echicken on Sat Mar 18 17:22:18 2017
    By: echicken to KK4QBN on Fri Mar 17 2017 10:24 pm

I worked the BBS on the ISS one time. You're not missing much, but it's one of those things that you do just so that you can say you did.

Yeah, realize there is not much more than putting some email up that you may or may not get to see any replies to.

Apparently it's a bit frowned upon, since your session will tie things up during the ISS pass and prevent other people from getting in. Seems like an unwritten rule, though, and I don't bother myself too much with those.

Then why the hell is it running? I understand why there are rules and structure to ham radio, but I really hate to say some folks are way to anal, regardless of whether your talking about connecting to the BBS or not. :-)

--

Tim Smith (KK4QBN)
    KK4QBN BBS

---
  • From KK4QBN@VERT/KK4QBN to echicken on Sat Mar 18 17:26:16 2017
    By: echicken to Vk3jed on Fri Mar 17 2017 10:37 pm

When I had this "mostly working" in the past, I had a bad-words filter in front of every string that was sent through the packet interface, just to stop things from slipping through. Ideally there would be a restriction flag that gets set when a user is on packet (or an exemption flag when they're not) which controls access to various parts of the BBS. This would require some extra configuration, but might be better than running a separate instance.

I had tested a shell you created for that and it seemed to work pretty good afaik, it locked all access down to anything "illegal" when I changed back to my regular shell I had a few things to change with my security to get back to "normal" again.

--

Tim Smith (KK4QBN)
    KK4QBN BBS

---
  • From Vk3jed@VERT/FREEWAY to echicken on Sun Mar 19 15:12:00 2017
    echicken wrote to Vk3jed <=-

Can't say what utilities may exist for this purpose at the moment, but that would certainly become possible with Synchronet serving as a
    packet BBS. The same code that assembles & disassembles packets and
    talks to the TNC can interface with the BBS' message areas directly.

Yes, Google came up empty handed last time I looked. Using Synchronet certainly has its appeal to me. So, how are you doing it? I would like to be able to interface Synchronet to my software of choice. I used to use BPQ for networking years ago, and am setting up LinBPQ on a Pi now, which would allow me to run the BBS on AX.25 and NET/ROM, as well as (obviously) IP, which Synchronet can already handle. :)

... Scratch a lover and find a foe.
  • From Vk3jed@VERT/FREEWAY to echicken on Sun Mar 19 15:19:00 2017

Lots of fun ones to try and I've enjoyed many of them, usually using fldigi.

Yep, fldigi is a great package. I've used a range of digital modes and have had a lot of fun. :)

When I had this "mostly working" in the past, I had a bad-words filter
    in front of every string that was sent through the packet interface,
    just to stop things from slipping through. Ideally there would be a restriction flag that gets set when a user is on packet (or an
    exemption flag when they're not) which controls access to various parts
    of the BBS. This would require some extra configuration, but might be better than running a separate instance.

Yeah I'm not trusting of filters. Probably because I'm one of those devious guys who can find their way around filters if necessary LOL. Our regulations in Australia are fairly strict with regards to allowing non hams to access the airwaves, and as much BBS content originates from non hams, this is problematic. Winlink2000 introduction to Australia was delayed for years, because of our regulations.

Restriction flags are a great idea, and I'm very interested in seeing how that works. As for separate system versus one system, the separate system also gives me a chance practicing upgrading SBBS, in the early stages, before I commit everything to the main board. :)

This is starting to look like a nice rainy day project, and winter is on the way down here (though you wouldn't know it with the current run of hot eather! :) ).

... If this is dying, I don't think much of it.
  • From echicken@VERT/ECBBS to Vk3jed on Sun Mar 19 04:41:03 2017
    By: Vk3jed to echicken on Sun Mar 19 2017 08:12:00

Yes, Google came up empty handed last time I looked. Using Synchronet certainly has its appeal to me. So, how are you doing it? I would like to

Javascript modules/services running under Synchronet that can interface with a KISS TNC or any other source/sink for AX.25 packets. I had this "working" before but not as well as I would have liked; partway through a redo now.

be able to interface Synchronet to my software of choice. I used to use

Would need to know about the software and what it means to interface with it before I could say much.

The first step is just to make a functioning user interface that a person can connect to over the air from a terminal and navigate the BBS from. After that, I'd like to be able to exchange mail/bulletins with other packet BBSs. Some other ideas kicking around. I'm not sure what else people might want it to do.

---
    echicken
  • From Vk3jed@VERT/FREEWAY to echicken on Mon Mar 20 23:40:00 2017

Javascript modules/services running under Synchronet that can interface with a KISS TNC or any other source/sink for AX.25 packets. I had this "working" before but not as well as I would have liked; partway through
    a redo now.

Ahh, OK, cool. :)

be able to interface Synchronet to my software of choice. I used to use

Would need to know about the software and what it means to interface
    with it before I could say much.

There's a number of software interfaces for BPQ. I think one is a virtual KISS TNC, which might be worth trying. I'm sure there's programming documentation for the BPQ software series - BPQ (DOS), LinBPQ (Linux), BPQ32 (Windows). Assuming I can hook up Synchronet using a virtual TNC, I may be able to make the BBS available as an "application", with its own SSID, so you could do "connect VK3JED-2", and be connected directly to the BBS, but ig you connected to (say) VK3JED, you'd be connected to the BPQ switch ans then have to issue the "BBS" command to access the BBS.

The first step is just to make a functioning user interface that a
    person can connect to over the air from a terminal and navigate the BBS from. After that, I'd like to be able to exchange mail/bulletins with other packet BBSs. Some other ideas kicking around. I'm not sure what else people might want it to do.

User interaction and packet mail/bulletin forwarding would be a good start for me. I'd probably have to forward over AXIP, which just looks like a pair of digipeaters to packet stations.

... I watch what I eat... from the plate to the mouth.
  • From monsieurmarc@VERT/ECBBS to Vk3jed on Mon Mar 20 12:34:45 2017
    I have listened to the ISS talking to a SChool also. But I havent tried packet to it be it APRS or otherwise.
    If there are a number of us thinking about synchronet packet perhaps we can link them by using tunnels and ampr IP addresses?

Marc (2W0PNT)

---
  • From echicken@VERT/ECBBS to Vk3jed on Mon Mar 20 15:34:50 2017
    By: Vk3jed to echicken on Mon Mar 20 2017 16:40:00

There's a number of software interfaces for BPQ. I think one is a virtual KISS TNC, which might be worth trying. I'm sure there's programming

Any KISS TNC on a serial port (real or virtual) should work. It just wants to be able to open that device and see frames coming in (and be able to write frames to it). Socket interfaces would also be doable, but not immediately supported.

The most common question I used to get about this was "will it work with x". The answer was always "if it provides a KISS interface, then yes". Probably half a dozen people asked if it would work with Soundmodem, which in theory it would, but to my knowledge nobody ever bothered to try and report back.

User interaction and packet mail/bulletin forwarding would be a good start

A straight-up user interface is easy enough and already exists, though I'll likely want to update it. Interacting with other types of packet nodes is another story; not too difficult, but involves figuring out how to talk to other systems.

---
    echicken
  • From Vk3jed@VERT/FREEWAY to monsieurmarc on Tue Mar 21 18:30:00 2017
    monsieurmarc wrote to Vk3jed <=-

I have listened to the ISS talking to a SChool also. But I havent
    tried packet to it be it APRS or otherwise.
    If there are a number of us thinking about synchronet packet perhaps we can link them by using tunnels and ampr IP addresses?

Yes, we could, though that would only be necessary for real time things like IRC. For messaging, we already have fairly secure mail sessions, but doing stuff via AMPRnet sounds like fun. I am already connected there.

... You're a Redneck if you've ever raked leaves in your kitchen.
  • From Vk3jed@VERT/FREEWAY to echicken on Tue Mar 21 18:32:00 2017

There's a number of software interfaces for BPQ. I think one is a virtual KISS TNC, which might be worth trying. I'm sure there's programming

Any KISS TNC on a serial port (real or virtual) should work. It just wants to be able to open that device and see frames coming in (and be
    able to write frames to it). Socket interfaces would also be doable,
    but not immediately supported.

I'll have to give it a go. :)

The most common question I used to get about this was "will it work
    with x". The answer was always "if it provides a KISS interface, then yes". Probably half a dozen people asked if it would work with
    Soundmodem, which in theory it would, but to my knowledge nobody ever bothered to try and report back.

Yeah, I'll have to give it a try with a virtual TNC

User interaction and packet mail/bulletin forwarding would be a good start

A straight-up user interface is easy enough and already exists, though I'll likely want to update it. Interacting with other types of packet nodes is another story; not too difficult, but involves figuring out
    how to talk to other systems.

Yep, sounds like you're well on the way. What version SBBS do you require?

... If ants are so busy, how do they make it to all those picnics?
  • From echicken@VERT/ECBBS to Vk3jed on Tue Mar 21 05:33:51 2017
    By: Vk3jed to echicken on Tue Mar 21 2017 11:32:00

Won't be ready for testing for a little while, but so far it looks like builds 3.15b and above should work, once a few new JS modules are put in place.

---
    echicken
  • From Vk3jed@VERT/FREEWAY to echicken on Wed Mar 22 01:50:00 2017

Won't be ready for testing for a little while, but so far it looks like builds 3.15b and above should work, once a few new JS modules are put
    in place.

Ahh, OK. Mine's still 3.16c. :)

... If you try cross-country skiing, start with a small country.
  • From monsieurmarc@VERT/ECBBS to Vk3jed on Tue Mar 21 16:31:14 2017
    i have a request in for an IP so lets see what happens :-)

---
  • From Vk3jed@VERT/FREEWAY to monsieurmarc on Wed Mar 22 15:08:00 2017

i have a request in for an IP so lets see what happens :-)

Just one IP? A small block (even a /29) would be more interesting to play with. I have a /24. I've reserved a small portion for the LAN, the bulk I want to use for RF in the local area. :)

... It usually takes weeks to prepare an impromptu speech.
  • From monsieurmarc@VERT/ECBBS to Vk3jed on Wed Mar 22 11:44:23 2017
    Just one for now :-)

---
  • From monsieurmarc@VERT/ECBBS to Vk3jed on Thu Mar 30 11:35:11 2017
    Got my AMPR IP allocations today.
    I need to setup a gateway next I guess. ARe you running one on your pi or something else?

---
  • From Vk3jed@VERT/FREEWAY to monsieurmarc on Fri Mar 31 04:18:00 2017

Got my AMPR IP allocations today.
    I need to setup a gateway next I guess. ARe you running one on your pi
    or something else?

Yep, I'm using a Pi for my AMPRnet router.

... Dancing: A perpendicular expression of a horizontal desire.
  • From monsieurmarc@VERT/ECBBS to Vk3jed on Thu Mar 30 15:50:19 2017
    Broadband router with the pi set as dmz by any chance?

---
  • From Vk3jed@VERT/FREEWAY to monsieurmarc on Fri Mar 31 13:52:00 2017

Broadband router with the pi set as dmz by any chance?

Yep, that's the exact setup here. :)

... What does a 5000 pound mouse say? "Here, kitty, kitty!"
  • From monsieurmarc@VERT/ECBBS to Vk3jed on Fri Mar 31 11:26:07 2017
    Thats my plan also though i will need to replace the terrible modem/router that the ISP provides.

---
  • From Vk3jed@VERT/FREEWAY to monsieurmarc on Sat Apr 1 12:14:00 2017

Thats my plan also though i will need to replace the terrible
    modem/router that the ISP provides.

Ahh, OK. Yeah my router is fairly good.

... Yesterday was the deadline for all complaints.
  • From monsieurmarc@VERT/ECBBS to Vk3jed on Mon Apr 3 11:10:27 2017
    Can I ask that make and model you use?

Marc

---
  • From Vk3jed@VERT/FREEWAY to monsieurmarc on Tue Apr 4 02:36:00 2017

Can I ask that make and model you use?

of? Your lack of quoting and the long turnaround time have destroyed the context of what we were talking about. You will need to ask the question more completely.

... Friends are the spice of life! Are you hot or mild?
  • From monsieurmarc@VERT/ECBBS to Vk3jed on Mon Apr 3 15:40:09 2017
    Sorry blame me posting from a mobile and not in any way being lazy at all! ;-)

I was wondering what router you were using given I need to replace the rubbish ISP provided one I have. In the context of hosting an AMPR gateway

Cheers
    Marc

---
  • From Vk3jed@VERT/FREEWAY to monsieurmarc on Tue Apr 4 14:26:00 2017

Sorry blame me posting from a mobile and not in any way being lazy at
    all! ;-)

Ahh OK, context is important. If you can't quote, paraphrase, like you did in this message. :)

I was wondering what router you were using given I need to replace the rubbish ISP provided one I have. In the context of hosting an AMPR gateway

I have a Fritzbox 7270. It's setup so that the Linux AMPR router is the "exposed host" (DMZ). The AMPR router itself is a Raspberry Pi running ampr-ripd.

... You cannot achieve the impossible without attempting the absurd.
  • From monsieurmarc@VERT/ECBBS to Vk3jed on Wed Apr 5 14:00:44 2017
    I have a Fritzbox 7270. It's setup so that the Linux AMPR router is the "exposed host" (DMZ). The AMPR router itself is a Raspberry Pi running ampr-ripd.

Good to know. I managed to get mine working despite the terrible British Telecom router.
    Would you be interested in looking at a tunnel between bbs's?

---
  • From Vk3jed@VERT/FREEWAY to monsieurmarc on Thu Apr 6 14:15:00 2017

Good to know. I managed to get mine working despite the terrible
    British Telecom router.
    Would you be interested in looking at a tunnel between bbs's?

I don't have a TNC on air yet or a packet BBS. Those are both on my todo list for the next few months, during the winter when things are quieter for me. :) But at some stage, I will be looking for both links and AXIP wormhole endpoints. We effectively have a tunnel. You should be able to see the following IPs:

44.136.76.1 (Linux ampr router).
    44.136.76.2 (this PC).
    44.136.76.3 (LinBPQ system - still under development, this will host the packet services and provide the packet networking).

Currently, the status is:

.1 - router is operational, has been for many months. Have discovered an issue with accessing 44.x blocks that are directly connected to the Internet via BGP that is going to be a pain to resolve, especially for inbound connections.

.2 - This is simply an end user system, so nothing to do here. :)

.3 - LinBPQ is installed and basic functionality works over IP. I can access its node switch and the inbuilt BBS via telnet. AX.25 functionality is not yet setup. I need to setup a TNC (most likely a TNC-Pi) and connect it to a radio, then once all of that works, I will be looking for AXIP wormhole peers, and also looking to find chat networks and BBS forwarding. As for a BBS, my preference will be to use Synchronet, if echicken's AX.25 interface works as well as it sounds like it could, when ready for use.

... I'm not nearly as think as you confused I am.
  • From monsieurmarc@VERT/ECBBS to Vk3jed on Fri Apr 7 11:28:14 2017
    I don't have a TNC on air yet or a packet BBS. Those are both on my todo list for the next few months, during the winter when things are quieter for me. :) But at some stage, I will be looking for both links and AXIP wormhole endpoints. We effectively have a tunnel. You should be able to see the following IPs:

Sounds good.
    I had one tnc (connected to raspberry pi) talking to another using a psion 5 last night which was fun

---
  • From Vk3jed@VERT/FREEWAY to monsieurmarc on Sat Apr 8 04:07:00 2017

Sounds good.
    I had one tnc (connected to raspberry pi) talking to another using a
    psion 5 last night which was fun

Cool. :)

... Windows loading... Come back tomorrow.
  • From monsieurmarc@VERT/ECBBS to echicken on Tue May 9 15:52:03 2017
    By: monsieurmarc to echicken on Fri Mar 17 2017 10:17:00

Well, if you're interested in this I can start working on it sooner. I was thinking about it just yesterday or the day before and I keep meaning to do something about it.

---
    echicken

Hi echicken,

Did you have a play with this at all?

Curious minds want to know... well I do anyway ;-)

Monsieurmarc

---
  • From echicken@VERT/ECBBS to monsieurmarc on Fri May 12 00:47:07 2017
    By: monsieurmarc to echicken on Tue May 09 2017 08:52:03

Did you have a play with this at all?

I've been working on it, but a bit distracted by other things lately. Progress is being made, though.

---
    echicken
  • From monsieurmarc@VERT/ECBBS to echicken on Fri May 12 12:04:48 2017
    By: monsieurmarc to echicken on Tue May 09 2017 08:52:03

I've been working on it, but a bit distracted by other things lately. Progress is being made, though.

---
    echicken

Many thanks for the reply.
    Distraction wise I have been playing with POCSAG paging. Its rather fun.

Marc

---
  • From echicken@VERT/ECBBS to monsieurmarc on Fri May 12 18:18:19 2017
    By: monsieurmarc to echicken on Fri May 12 2017 05:04:48

It's amazing how many people are still using that, isn't it? I've snooped on some of that traffic here and saw stuff from hospitals, taxi dispatch systems, telemetry/monitoring systems, etc.

Where I work we have these LED pixelboard signs, with speakers built in and an antenna sticking out. Our security people never figured out how to use them properly, so they're just being used as clocks at this point. Every hour on the hour, a burst of POCSAG gets sent out on one of the frequencies allocated to us. My guess is that it's to synchronize the time on those devices, but the last time I tried I wasn't able to decode it.

---
    echicken
  • From monsieurmarc@VERT/ECBBS to echicken on Fri May 12 18:28:09 2017
    Its very interesting. My Kantonics 9612+ has pocsag built in which is wonderful. Just modding a multi line pager to listen on the right freq at the moment for the fun of it.

---
  • From Vk3jed@VERT/FREEWAY to monsieurmarc on Sat May 13 16:14:00 2017

Distraction wise I have been playing with POCSAG paging. Its rather
    fun.

I've done a bit of that in the past, works well.

... 12 Hours Of Work!! What Do You Mean Disk Error??
  • From Vk3jed@VERT/FREEWAY to echicken on Sat May 13 16:17:00 2017

It's amazing how many people are still using that, isn't it? I've
    snooped on some of that traffic here and saw stuff from hospitals, taxi dispatch systems, telemetry/monitoring systems, etc.

Yeah I've got one here, for fire alerts. Emergency volunteers and staff statewide here use POCSAG pagers for their main alerting system, in a statewide simulcast network.

Where I work we have these LED pixelboard signs, with speakers built in and an antenna sticking out. Our security people never figured out how
    to use them properly, so they're just being used as clocks at this
    point. Every hour on the hour, a burst of POCSAG gets sent out on one
    of the frequencies allocated to us. My guess is that it's to
    synchronize the time on those devices, but the last time I tried I
    wasn't able to decode it.

Interesting idea. :)

... Disk Failure: (W)arm Boot, (C)old Boot, (S)teel Toe Boot?
  • From monsieurmarc@VERT/ECBBS to Vk3jed on Mon May 15 11:47:17 2017
    I've done a bit of that in the past, works well.

... 12 Hours Of Work!! What Do You Mean Disk Error??
    â–  Synchronet â–  Freeway BBS in Bendigo, Australia.

Interesting that we all seem to of tried the same things :-)

---
  • From Vk3jed@VERT/FREEWAY to monsieurmarc on Tue May 16 03:19:00 2017

LOL yep

... Say pistachios ... it's impolite to say nuts.
  • From KK4QBN@VERT/KK4QBN to monsieurmarc on Tue May 16 15:27:17 2017
    By: monsieurmarc to echicken on Fri May 12 2017 05:04 am

never knew tooo much about pocsag, until I give my nephew who is interested in amateur radio an sdr receiver and introduced hom to sdr# and fldigi and the like, and he was decoding pagers from a hospital many miles away, I could'nt understand if it were just an anomoly, ot if they purposely transmitted high power. I would'nt know why someone 2 states south of a hospital that room 3156 needs their bedpans changed.

and could almpost say that some of the transmissions were on the border of breaking hippa regulations.

--

Tim Smith (KK4QBN)
    KK4QBN BBS

---
  • From KK4QBN@VERT/KK4QBN to monsieurmarc on Tue May 16 15:36:46 2017
    By: monsieurmarc to Vk3jed on Mon May 15 2017 04:47 am

With my budget, I try everything that I can do that is cheap as possible, and it is amazing what can be done on a budget.

I remember reading a post on facebook one day where they were speaking about old satellites that were decomissioned and state agencies fears of someone taking them over, and people were posting how hard it would be to reproduce the technology necessary to do that. I'm thinking to myself, not really.. if one still has both tx/rx and is taking commands, all someone would need is a freaking 30 dollar HT, a rasberry Pi, and "possibly" a better antenna. and of course knowledge of what guidance signals it would need in the first place..

--

Tim Smith (KK4QBN)
    KK4QBN BBS

---
  • From monsieurmarc@VERT/ECBBS to KK4QBN on Thu May 18 11:42:55 2017
    By: monsieurmarc to echicken on Fri May 12 2017 05:04 am

never knew tooo much about pocsag, until I give my nephew who is interested in amateur radio an sdr receiver and introduced hom to sdr# and fldigi and the like, and he was decoding pagers from a hospital many miles away, I could'nt understand if it were just an anomoly, ot if they purposely transmitted high power. I would'nt know why someone 2 states south of a hospital that room 3156 needs their bedpans changed.

and could almpost say that some of the transmissions were on the border of breaking hippa regulations.

--

Tim Smith (KK4QBN)
    KK4QBN BBS

---
    â–  Synchronet â–  KK4QBN + (706)-422-9538 + kk4qbn.synchro.net + 24/7/365

They are common in hospitals here also. Though I havent tried listening to them.
    I am enjoying sending to my own pager at the mo

---