• Studying for license while on the road (trucking)

From tfurrows@VERT/KK4QBN to All on Mon Apr 24 22:40:06 2017
    I have a friend who hauls a refrigerated unit from Mexico to Canada on a regular basis (well, it's his job, so as regular as he can.) He has a 10m rig installed in his truck, but doesn't use it because he's not yet licensed. He's also interested in 2m.

Right now, he has a hard time fitting study into his routine. My question for you fine folks is this: do you have any recommendations for exam study while on the road? Any links to useful resources for someone who wants to study while driving? Or even better, any experience with such a situation?

I want to recommend something to him, and I told him I'd ask here. Many thanks!

---
    þ Synchronet þ KK4QBN + (706)-422-9538 + kk4qbn.synchro.net + 24/7/365
  • From echicken@VERT/ECBBS to tfurrows on Mon Apr 24 23:53:24 2017
    Re: Studying for license while on the road (trucking)
    By: tfurrows to All on Mon Apr 24 2017 15:40:06

Right now, he has a hard time fitting study into his routine. My question for you fine folks is this: do you have any recommendations for exam study while on the road? Any links to useful resources for someone who wants to study while driving? Or even better, any experience with such a situation?

I can't recommend a particular resource, but there appear to be audiobooks available to help study for the US technician class license. He may benefit from listening to such a thing once or twice.

Some study of electronic schematic symbols may also be necessary when he's not driving. The test will likely include a few questions that require him to identify icons.

I doubt if this will require a huge time committment from him. The tech exam is exceedingly simple, and anyone who's keen to pass it ought to be able to do so with a light amount of work. The safety and regulatory questions in particular don't need to be studied; the answers can be arrived at through common sense.

---
    echicken
    electronic chicken bbs - bbs.electronicchicken.com - 416-273-7230
    þ Synchronet þ electronic chicken bbs - bbs.electronicchicken.com
  • From KK4QBN@VERT/KK4QBN to tfurrows on Tue Apr 25 07:24:13 2017
    Re: Studying for license while on the road (trucking)
    By: tfurrows to All on Mon Apr 24 2017 03:40 pm

I have a friend who hauls a refrigerated unit from Mexico to Canada on a regular basis (well, it's his job, so as regular as he can.) He has a 10m rig installed in his truck, but doesn't use it because he's not yet licensed. He's also interested in 2m.

I want to recommend something to him, and I told him I'd ask here. Many thanks!

I used ham radio study guide for Android while driving taxi and was able to pass my tech in 3 weeks, should have went further and tried for general too because I was scoring a constant 80% but thought I had better play safe, it was a very good little app, it got the job done for me. I do believe that is the name for it too.. there are a few others out there also..

I would also suggest him to download the ISS detector app also because sooner or later he will want to use it to work the birds, SO50, etc. It is very accurate, and the paid version really kicks ass and is spot on, I've worked so50 a few times with two ChiCom HT's with nagoya na701 antenna (rubber duckies) wen you have great telemetry data, it makes it very easy to tune in the birds and once you get the polirization down on receive it is real easy (especially on a clear mountain top) I've had tons of fun just on UHF and VHF..

--

Tim Smith (KK4QBN)
    KK4QBN BBS

---
    þ Synchronet þ KK4QBN + (706)-422-9538 + kk4qbn.synchro.net + 24/7/365