• UVB-76 and other shortwave mysteries

From Povilaz@VERT/CYBERBBS to All on Sun Oct 27 11:09:12 2019
    Anybody know any kind of conspiracies or just mysteries about those creepy number statioons such as UVB-76? I have heard that UVB-76 is a "dead man switch" so that when a nuclear war happens between Russia and America this number station will stop transmitting/will start transmitting codes stating that a nuclear apocalipse is around the corner. Anybody got theire own ideas? I'm at the moment really into trying to "unravel" the mysteries behind these creepy number stations...

Also sorry for my kinda bad english, I'm from Lithuania...

---
    þ Synchronet þ Cyberspace BBS - Pittsburgh, PA - cyberspacebbs.net
  • From Digital Man@VERT to Povilaz on Sun Oct 27 13:54:07 2019
    Re: UVB-76 and other shortwave mysteries
    By: Povilaz to All on Sun Oct 27 2019 11:09 am

Anybody know any kind of conspiracies or just mysteries about those creepy number statioons such as UVB-76? I have heard that UVB-76 is a "dead man switch" so that when a nuclear war happens between Russia and America this number station will stop transmitting/will start transmitting codes stating that a nuclear apocalipse is around the corner. Anybody got theire own ideas? I'm at the moment really into trying to "unravel" the mysteries behind these creepy number stations...

I'm interested in them too. Low-tech (e.g. one-time-pad) cryptography and its (continued) use is interesting to me.

I hadn't heard the "dead man switch" theory. I'm not clear what that would achieve though - some kind of warning to go underground?

Looks good to me!

digital man

Synchronet/BBS Terminology Definition #25:
    FDSZ = FOSSIL DSZ (by Chuck Forsberg)
    Norco, CA WX: 73.8øF, 51.0% humidity, 10 mph NE wind, 0.00 inches rain/24hrs

---
    þ Synchronet þ Vertrauen þ Home of Synchronet þ [vert/cvs/bbs].synchro.net
  • From Moondog@VERT/CAVEBBS to Povilaz on Mon Oct 28 00:16:00 2019
    Re: UVB-76 and other shortwav
    By: Povilaz to All on Sun Oct 27 2019 11:09 am

Anybody know any kind of conspiracies or just mysteries about those creepy number statioons such as UVB-76? I have heard that UVB-76 is a "dead man switch" so that when a nuclear war happens between Russia and America this number station will stop transmitting/will start transmitting codes stating that a nuclear apocalipse is around the corner. Anybody got theire own ideas I'm at the moment really into trying to "unravel" the mysteries behind these creepy number stations...

I have also heard of the number stations, however I cannot even guess why
    they continue to exist. During the Cold War, my guess was they were sending coded messages back and forth to secret agents. Maybe the numbers correspond to coordinates in the sky, such as where to point an antenna to a satellite?
    I would imagine there are more efficient ways to send information, unless
    they exist as a backup in order to find alternate sources of communication?

---
    þ Synchronet þ The Cave BBS - Since 1992 - cavebbs.homeip.net