• VARA Modem

From InfectedBootSector@VERT/EXOPLNT to All on Sat Feb 19 21:35:00 2022
    Hi all...

Anyone out there using VARA Modem for Packet BBS use? If so, do you feel comfortable replacing your hardware with it? I'm tempted to downsize my considerable PK232 collection but haven't put much time on VARA yet...

de WQ3Y

... Great minds think alike; small minds run together

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A48 2022/02/11 (Raspberry Pi/32)
    * Origin: -=[ExoplanetBBS.net]=-
  • From echicken@VERT/ECBBS to InfectedBootSector on Sun Feb 20 04:44:33 2022
    Re: VARA Modem
    By: InfectedBootSector to All on Sat Feb 19 2022 21:35:00

Anyone out there using VARA Modem for Packet BBS use? If so, do you feel comfortable replacing your hardware with it? I'm tempted to downsize my considerable PK232 collection but haven't put much time on VARA yet...

I'd like to know more about it. I'm not familiar with the VARA modem and a quick search turns up ... bits of information scattered all over the place, in keeping with frustrating amateur tradition.

Will this modem be compatible with remote stations that currently connect to your PK232(s)?

Have you tried it? Anything making you feel wary of using it more?

Ideally we'd all be able to use software modems and soundcard interfaces, of which there are many, rather than needing to plug some box from the 1980s into our radios and computers. That makes it far more accessible to all. Couple that with something better than AX.25 and maybe it could be useful.

---
    echicken
    electronic chicken bbs - bbs.electronicchicken.com
    ---
    þ Synchronet þ electronic chicken bbs - bbs.electronicchicken.com