• 10 Meter

From General Mdk@VERT/PGG to All on Sun Feb 10 00:04:00 2008
    I am new to Ham Radio. My call sign is KD0BVI I drive a big truck
    and I purchased a Ranger 2950 on ebay. I tried to make contact in the 28.465 freq. I scanned and scanned to just listen. In the USB range. I heard nothing. I have it running on a new Wilson 2000 whip. I had no SWR memter at the time. But had a brand new 18 foot coaxial made. I put the whip in the mount about an inch. It seems to be okay the built in SWR meter in the radio or the bars on the left side don't seem to light up so I believe its good. On uggggg 19 the Radio kicks ass and everyone says it sounds good.
    Where are most of the hams at on 10 meters? And what about split channels? I know how to make all the functions work but not sure how to use it. I hope to get me a good 220/440 2 meter if I can slip it past the woman if you know what I mean, I heard 10 meters went to crap. I figured it might be good in the area I was at by the Gulf of Mexico on I -275 right by the water in Florida. I always thought water would make good skip. Calling CQ...

G e n e r a l /\/\ [) ]< - KD0BVI

---
    þ Synchronet þ Play Ground Gentoo [PGG] - Boone, Iowa
  • From W8ZZU@VERT/SCANNER to General Mdk on Sun Feb 10 14:56:00 2008
    Re: 10 Meter
    By: General Mdk to All on Sat Feb 09 2008 06:04 pm

I am new to Ham Radio. My call sign is KD0BVI I drive a big truck and I purchased a Ranger 2950 on ebay. I tried to make contact in the 28.465 freq. I scanned and scanned to just listen. In the USB range. I heard nothing. I have it running on a new Wilson 2000 whip. I had no SWR memter at the time. But had a brand new 18 foot coaxial made. I put the whip in the mount about an inch. It seems to be okay the built in SWR
    meter in the radio or the bars on the left side don't seem to light up so I believe its good. On uggggg 19 the Radio kicks ass and everyone says it sounds good.
    Where are most of the hams at on 10 meters? And what about split channels? I know how to make all the functions work but not sure how to
    use it. I hope to get me a good 220/440 2 meter if I can slip it past the woman if you know what I mean, I heard 10 meters went to crap. I figured it might be good in the area I was at by the Gulf of Mexico on I -275 right by the water in Florida. I always thought water would make good skip. Calling CQ...

Problem #1 - You basicaly bought a CB.
    Problem #2 - The 10 meter band is subject to E layer and F layer propagation. Meaning that you probably won't hear much since we are at the bottom of the sunspot cycle for F layer Prop and it is not E season.
    Problem #3 - It is Illegal to use the radio on CB frequencies and since it is now "open" for CB frequencies your radio is no longer FCC type accepted to be used on amateur radio frequencies.

Jason - W8ZZU
    Total Logged Contacts = 1742
    Last Contact: KI4JEK on 40 SSB. Location: VA. 1/27/08 at 21:30 UTC

---
    þ Synchronet þ Scanner Enthusiasts BBS - scannerbbs.dyndns.org - *Dove-Net
  • From Phantomrage@VERT/PRS to W8ZZU on Mon Feb 11 05:00:00 2008

Hey now wait a min. I think the RCI's are a good radio if left alone. They can do with out the echo's and other crud build in the radio. But for a low priced radio, I think that they do ok.

---
    þ Synchronet þ PhantomRage Studios: Telnet://phantomrage.org http://phantomrage.org
  • From General Mdk@VERT/PGG to W8ZZU on Mon Feb 11 09:27:00 2008
    By: W8ZZU to General Mdk on Sun Feb 10 2008 08:56 am

Problem #3 - It is Illegal to use the radio on CB frequencies and since it is now "open" for CB frequencies your radio is no longer FCC type accepted to be used on amateur radio frequencies.
    Hay I didn't mod the Radio at all. They sold them that way. So it has FM, AM, Sideband and you can dial 27.1850 That means I can't use it on 10 meters. So when will the season come back? And THANKS for the Help. I really do want a 2 meter rig. From some of the prices I see... I can't afford much.
    I am trying to get my kid and some of his friends interested. What would be good for my truck for a 2 meter and a ant. setup. Thanks.. I really enjoy this section on the bbs... So keep responding I like reading your posts..

---
  • From General Mdk@VERT/PGG to W8ZZU on Mon Feb 11 09:47:00 2008
    By: W8ZZU to General Mdk on Sun Feb 10 2008 08:56 am

You never really answered my questions? I hear you say you make
    some 10 meter contacts. What freq.? And what is the standard? Do you use the spilt freq. setting? Like I said,"I'm new and wanting to learn." I'm trying to get away from uggg CB and go beyond that. Even back before I had a license. I logged my contacts on the channels just above 40 closer to 65 or 27.465 on a 25 foot big stick. Mostly 2 the eastcoast... I hope to locate that book and add to it.. Thanks to work I get to miss my local HAM Club meeting... It's hard stuff to learn for me.. But remember being around HAM in the early 70's. And wanted to get started when I was 14.. I am 40 now. Thanks-

KD0BVI

---
  • From W8ZZU@VERT/SCANNER to Phantomrage on Mon Feb 11 16:00:00 2008
    Re: Re: 10 Meter
    By: Phantomrage to W8ZZU on Sun Feb 10 2008 11:00 pm

Hey now wait a min. I think the RCI's are a good radio if left alone.
    They can do with out the echo's and other crud build in the radio. But for a low priced radio, I think that they do ok.

Well, no matter how you slice it, it is a glorified CB. When you "clip the diode" it opens up the 11 meter band with the Channel numbers and everything. Also the signal on SSB from the factory is almost 7MHZ wide. C'mon man, it has a roger beep. :)

People are better off spending about $200 more and buying an IC-718 or something.

Jason - W8ZZU

---
  • From W8ZZU@VERT/SCANNER to General Mdk on Mon Feb 11 16:06:00 2008
    By: General Mdk to W8ZZU on Mon Feb 11 2008 03:27 am

Hay I didn't mod the Radio at all. They sold them that way. So it has FM, AM, Sideband and you can dial 27.1850 That means I can't use it on 10 meters. So when will the season come back? And THANKS for the Help. I really do want a 2 meter rig. From some of the prices I see... I can't afford much. I am trying to get my kid and some of his friends interested. What would be good for my truck for a 2 meter and a ant. setup. Thanks..
    I really enjoy this section on the bbs... So keep responding I like
    reading your posts..

Whomever you bought the radio from sold it to you illegaly then. To answer your question about "When will the season come back?" I assume you are talking about E propagation. The "E's" season is usualy in the summer months but could happen at anytime really.. As far as F layer propagation, you might have to wait a few years for that since we just hit the solar minimum about 1 month ago. Being at the bottom of the 11 year cycle, you probably won't see much activity on 10 meters for awhile.

Do you have a Tech, General, or Extra license?

Jason - W8ZZU

---
  • From W8ZZU@VERT/SCANNER to General Mdk on Mon Feb 11 16:19:00 2008
    By: General Mdk to W8ZZU on Mon Feb 11 2008 03:47 am

You never really answered my questions?

Sure I did. I talked about propagation.

I hear you say you make some 10 meter contacts.

A few. I have about 300 or so since last May. About 15 countries and 30 states. Not to bad for the bottom of the cycle.

What freq.?

Mostly 28.500 - 28.600 (To stay away from the Techs)

And what is the standard?

Standard meaning mode? I use USB on those frequencies of course.

Do you use the spilt freq. setting?

Not unless there is some contest where someone in another country is using a split. I have never run across that on the 10 meter band though.

Like I said,"I'm new and wanting to learn."

Nothing wrong with that. Don't take this the wrong way but forget everything you thought you knew about radio from CB. :)

I'm trying to get away from uggg CB and go beyond that. Even back before
    I had a license. I logged my contacts on the channels just above 40 closer to 65 or 27.465 on a 25 foot big stick. Mostly 2 the eastcoast... I hope to locate that book and add to it..

You do know that was illegal right? You might want to log your _legal_ amateur radio contacts seperate from those.

HAM Club meeting... It's hard stuff to learn for me.. But remember being around HAM in the early 70's. And wanted to get started when I was 14.. I am 40 now

Well, good luck. Sounds like you are on the right track. I would suggest googling "propagation" and learning about that first.

Thanks-

Your welcome.. Anytime you need help or have any questions, feel free to ask anyone here.. There are some pretty knowledgeable people around here that are willing to help.

Jason - W8ZZU

---
  • From Dark angel@VERT/DARKNESS to W8ZZU on Mon Feb 11 23:25:00 2008
    By: W8ZZU to Phantomrage on Mon Feb 11 2008 10:00 am

Like it or not, it is a 10 meter rig.

Hey now wait a min. I think the RCI's are a good radio if left alone. They can do with out the echo's and other crud build in the radio. But f a low priced radio, I think that they do ok.

RCI builds some really nice radios and if you don't do mods on them
    they will last for a long time.

Well, no matter how you slice it, it is a glorified CB. When you "clip the diode" it opens up the 11 meter band with the Channel numbers and everything Also the signal on SSB from the factory is almost 7MHZ wide. C'mon man, it a roger beep. :)

Alot of the ham radios that are cheap have roger beeps, most true hams
    don't use them though.

People are better off spending about $200 more and buying an IC-718 or something.

People tend to buy what they can afford at that time, you must have deep
    pockets Jason. :-)

Jason - W8ZZU

Dark Angel, Darkness BBS
    darkness.synchro.net
    ibbsgames/messages/files

---
    þ Synchronet þ Darkness BBS - darkness.synchro.net
  • From Angus McLeod@VERT/ANJO to W8ZZU on Tue Feb 12 03:18:00 2008
    By: W8ZZU to General Mdk on Mon Feb 11 2008 10:19:00

Not unless there is some contest where someone in another country is using a split. I have never run across that on the 10 meter band though.

I've only ever used split under conditions of massive QRM. Frankly, it doesn't help too much, as there is always a bunch of LIDs calling on your
    Tx frequency.

Of course, cross-band split on OSCAR doesn't count!

---
    Playing: "Why can't this be love" by "Van Halen" from the "Best Of" album.
    þ Synchronet þ CQ DX! The ANJO BBS calling on s.l.o.w ADSL
  • From W8ZZU@VERT/SCANNER to Dark angel on Tue Feb 12 02:30:00 2008
    By: Dark angel to W8ZZU on Mon Feb 11 2008 05:25 pm

Well, no matter how you slice it, it is a glorified CB. When you "clip the diode" it opens up the 11 meter band with the Channel numbers and everything Also the signal on SSB from the factory is almost 7MHZ wide. C'mon man, it a roger beep. :)

Alot of the ham radios that are cheap have roger beeps, most true hams
    don't use them though.

Because they are really not ham radios (even if they are advertised as such), they are glorified CB's.

People tend to buy what they can afford at that time, you must have deep
    pockets Jason. :-)

Not at all.. But if I was going to spend around 200 dollars on a 30 watt 10 meter radio like an RCI 2950. I would certainly re-think and put another 200 towards it and get a used Icom 718 that has 100 watts output and 160-10 (8 bands instead of 1) meters and can also be used mobile. <shrug>

It's just like, if you were going to buy a 2 meter rig. Why would you spend 500 dollars on a whiz bang handheld that does 5 watts? You can buy a 75 watt mobile radio, a power supply to run it, and a 8.6DB gain vertical for around $275. With that, you can talk simplex about 60 miles average. With the handheld you are limited to about 4 miles or so average.

If I had deep pockets, I would have an FT-1000MP or a 756proIII. My 746Pro works pretty good though.. for now.

Jason - W8ZZU

---
  • From W8ZZU@VERT/SCANNER to Angus McLeod on Tue Feb 12 04:17:00 2008
    By: Angus McLeod to W8ZZU on Mon Feb 11 2008 09:18 pm

Not unless there is some contest where someone in another country is using a split. I have never run across that on the 10 meter band
    though.

I've only ever used split under conditions of massive QRM. Frankly, it doesn't help too much, as there is always a bunch of LIDs calling on your
    Tx frequency.

I agree... and 10 meter is full of LIDs..

Of course, cross-band split on OSCAR doesn't count!

I also agree! :)

Jason - W8ZZU

---
  • From Phantomrage@VERT/PRS to W8ZZU on Thu Feb 14 02:17:00 2008

Well, no matter how you slice it, it is a glorified CB. When you "clip the diode" it opens up the 11 meter band with the Channel numbers and everything. Also the signal on SSB from the factory is almost 7MHZ wide. C'mon man, it has a roger beep. :)

I know that they are really made for the CB group. But for a low cost radio, for what they offer take away the beeps, and other crap. They are good radios. I have put a few of the radios on the HP scope, and have never seen one that wide.. But, hey. I am sure they are out there.

Yes, I agree on this.

---
    þ Synchronet þ PhantomRage Studios: Telnet://phantomrage.org http://phantomrage.org
  • From General Mdk@VERT/PGG to W8ZZU on Sun Mar 2 21:07:00 2008
    By: W8ZZU to General Mdk on Mon Feb 11 2008 10:19 am

Hope to make 2 meter contact with you someday. I purchased a
    FT-60 Yaesu. Hit's my local repeater pretty good. Soo far only one contact and I nostly listen. I am going to have to pick up an adapter and a J-Pole to hit the widearea repeater about 30 miles away. I do travel south and
    southeast of Iowa. With this limited power output. This isn't going to work very well driving. I guess if I am sitting still in the Truckstops it may
    work okay. I am intrested in the Wires type network and IRLP. I'm working on my cheap 2 meter ant. first. Some of the hamshack pictures amaze me out
    there. I have another hobby though model rail roading. And haven't made hardly anythime for that. And fish and camp in the summer. I love messing with Gentoo Linux and running my Synchronet BBS. Not alot of time for modding that. I enjoyed looking through the ham callsign database. I use telnet for that. If you need the telnet address for that. I'll post it. Anyway... I rememeber going to my friends house WA0PGR that id is expired and he passed away. He had a very big shack and was into slow-scan TV and used the old Tandy Computer to decode CW and RTTY.. A model I tandy infact. He passed away in 2001 I beleive.. I didn't know.. He was old school WWII Vet. Who was a Radio Operator during war times. He had no Familly at all... It makes me wonder where all the equipment went. Made me sad seeing the Advanced class License expire. Look what you leave behind as a ham.. Take care, KD0BVI-

---
  • From W8ZZU@VERT/SCANNER to General Mdk on Mon Mar 3 03:50:00 2008
    By: General Mdk to W8ZZU on Sun Mar 02 2008 03:07 pm

Hope to make 2 meter contact with you someday. I purchased a
    FT-60 Yaesu. Hit's my local repeater pretty good. Soo far only one
    contact and I nostly listen. I am going to have to pick up an adapter and
    a J-Pole to hit the widearea repeater about 30 miles away. I do travel south and southeast of Iowa. With this limited power output. This isn't going to work very well driving. I guess if I am sitting still in the Truckstops it may work okay. I am intrested in the Wires type network and IRLP. I'm working on my cheap 2 meter ant. first. Some of the hamshack pictures amaze me out there. I have another hobby though model rail roading. And haven't made hardly anythime for that. And fish and camp in the summer. I love messing with Gentoo Linux and running my Synchronet
    BBS. Not alot of time for modding that. I enjoyed looking through the ham callsign database. I use telnet for that. If you need the telnet address for that. I'll post it. Anyway... I rememeber going to my friends house WA0PGR that id is expired and he passed away. He had a very big shack and was into slow-scan TV and used the old Tandy Computer to decode CW and RTTY.. A model I tandy infact. He passed away in 2001 I beleive.. I didn't know.. He was old school WWII Vet. Who was a Radio Operator during war times. He had no Familly at all... It makes me wonder where all the equipment went. Made me sad seeing the Advanced class License expire.
    Look what you leave behind as a ham.. Take care, KD0BVI-

How close do you come to southeast Michigan on your travels?

Jason - W8ZZU
    Total Logged Contacts = 1761
    Last Contact: K1SD on 40 SSB. Location: RI. 2/27/08 at 23:40 UTC

---
  • From Phantomrage@VERT/PRS to General Mdk on Mon Mar 3 05:31:00 2008
    BBS. Not alot of time for modding that. I enjoyed looking through the ham callsign database. I use telnet for that. If you need the telnet address for that. I'll post it.

Please post. I had no clue that you could telnet into that server...

Thanks

---