• Going to the Yukon

From Cyan@VERT/RRX to All on Tue Oct 21 18:20:12 2008
    So, the company I work for is sending me off to the Yukon for a week. I'll be staying at the mine near Faro (which is four hours north of Whitehorse), in
    one of the company guest cottages. Because this place is in the middle of nowhere (no Internet access, no cellular service), I'll have ample opportunity to do some portable HF operating in the off hours.

Being able to operate from the Yukon should have some fantastic benefits (the least of which will allow me to operate in a place almost completely devoid of RF interference.) I've already got an ICOM 706mkIIG transceiver, which is
    nice and compact enough for portable operation.

But my question to you, dear readers, is what other considerations should I be aware of on a mini-expedition like this? I'll need to buy an antenna, perhaps a dipole, but what are your experiences with buying easy to assemble/transport antennas? Power supply will likely be an issue as well, as my huge 12V 30A power supply just would not transport very well.

I suspect operating from that far north should offer some unique contact opportunities as well.

-RS.

---
    þ Synchronet þ RoadRunner X - Vancouver, BC - rrx.ca