• Re: New interest in Ham R

From Retroprince@VERT/MEMTW to W8ZZU on Mon Mar 30 19:32:00 2009

I have messed with echolink and IRLP... It just doesn't seem like radio to me..
    > Jason - W8ZZU

Jason,
    I know, a lot of people say the same ..But I know when the Hurricane(s) came along down here it was working but the Land phones,cell phones & electricity were out but the node kept working.
    In fact I got a call over the Node to move it to New Orleans, but that was a little out of my reach.
    The other factor is that only ham radio's can get into the system and the law requires a License to use the Radio and the computers can only get into the system with a key. If I were to give my computer to someone else it couldn't get into the system unless I validated its use. That is why I bought into the plan..But anyway, take care & 73's KB5ZJJ - mICAH
    ---
    þ Synchronet þ [bbs.memphistw.org] - [www.memphistw.org]
  • From W8ZZU@VERT/SCANNER to Retroprince on Tue Mar 31 03:51:00 2009
    Re: Re: New interest in Ham R
    By: Retroprince to W8ZZU on Mon Mar 30 2009 02:32 pm

I have messed with echolink and IRLP... It just doesn't seem like radio to me..
    > Jason - W8ZZU

Jason,
    I know, a lot of people say the same ..But I know when the Hurricane(s) came along down here it was working but the Land phones,cell phones & electricity were out but the node kept working.
    In fact I got a call over the Node to move it to New Orleans, but that
    was a little out of my reach.
    The other factor is that only ham radio's can get into the system and the law requires a License to use the Radio and the computers can only get into the system with a key. If I were to give my computer to someone else it couldn't get into the system unless I validated its use. That is why I bought into the plan..But anyway, take care & 73's KB5ZJJ - mICAH

...and you can email or instant message someone with the same info. It is still not radio. <shrug>

Jason - W8ZZU
    Total Logged Contacts = 3714
    Last Contact: VE7OZ on 15 Meter SSB. Location: BC, CA. 11/27/08 at 19:03 UTC

---
    þ Synchronet þ Scanner Enthusiasts BBS - scannerbbs.dyndns.org - *Dove-Net
  • From Weatherman@VERT/TLCBBS to W8ZZU on Tue Mar 31 19:57:00 2009
    W ³ Re: Re: New interest in Ham R
    W ³ By: Retroprince to W8ZZU on Mon Mar 30 2009 02:32 pm
    W ³
    W ³ > I know, a lot of people say the same ..But I know when the Hurricane(s
    W ³ > came along down here it was working but the Land phones,cell phones &
    W ³ > electricity were out but the node kept working.
    W ³ > In fact I got a call over the Node to move it to New Orleans, but that
    W ³ > was a little out of my reach.
    W ³ > The other factor is that only ham radio's can get into the system and
    W ³ > law requires a License to use the Radio and the computers can only get i
    W ³ > the system with a key. If I were to give my computer to someone else it
    W ³ > couldn't get into the system unless I validated its use. That is why I
    W ³ > bought into the plan..But anyway, take care & 73's KB5ZJJ - mICAH
    W ³
    W ³ ...and you can email or instant message someone with the same info. It is
    W ³ still not radio. <shrug>
    W ³
    W ³

I tend to agree... I have Echolink on my computer here at work mainly for
    the capability to keep in touch with the 2-meter repeater at home (I work
    37 miles away from home, and can't quite hit home with a handy-talkie),
    just in case I need to get in touch with someone down there. I've had
    Echolink turned on and gotten a "QSO" with other Echolink users, but once I found out that we were both sitting in front of a PC with a microphone,
    lost interest immediately in the conversation.

Echolink and IRLP are definitely NOT "radio" unless at least ONE party of
    the conversation is utilizing a radio device as their PRIMARY
    communications device (no... wireless networked computers do NOT count),
    and even then, it's only half radio...
    ---
    þ JABBER v1.2 þ If a mute swears, does his mother wash his hands with soap?
    þ Synchronet þ The Lost Chord BBS, Elmira Heights NY - thelostchord.dns2go.com:6080