• Any love for an old CB'r?

From North*star@VERT/CAVEBBS to All on Sat Jun 6 22:47:00 2009
    I know this is a HAM area, but do any of yo still tinker with CB?

I have resisted, and may actualy be the last person in the USA with out a cell phone.

I still use my Cobra 146 SSB radio in my truck, and my wife has a Cobra
    19DX III in her old volvo. I also have a nice Uniden Washington as a base
    with a antron A99

Here in North Carolina, I still get some local traffic, but not much. most of the time its just me and my wife chatting as we drive home from work.

Are there any areas that are still active with CB? or have they all faded away like the BBS's did?

---
    ž Synchronet ž The Cave BBS - Since 1992 - cavebbs.homeip.net
  • From Noisome Poison@VERT/DIGI52 to North*star on Mon Jun 8 16:43:51 2009

I have resisted, and may actualy be the last person in the USA with out a cell phone.

I still don't have a cell phone either. I have used one when I created a business as I was the sole person to contact and away a lot from home. Personally however, I don't think I'll own one if I can help it. However though, my wife is an avid cell phone user.

I still use my Cobra 146 SSB radio in my truck, and my wife has a Cobra 19DX III in her old volvo. I also have a nice Uniden Washington as a base with a antron A99

Here in North Carolina, I still get some local traffic, but not much. most of the time its just me and my wife chatting as we drive home from work.

I haven't used a CB in some time, like as you said, traffic has died in this area. I guess I have to break it out and check. I'm in central North Carolina, and probably will receive some traffic from the truckers, but I
    doubt much else.
    In Jacksonville, NC however where I grew up, there was plenty of traffic when
    I left a few years ago, so I'm sure there will be some now. One person I
    found lived right behind where I was (like I can see out my back door and wave to him) when I was there.

Are there any areas that are still active with CB? or have they all
    faded away like the BBS's did?

I trust keeping it in the truck would be great if you ever go traveling. Up north around Indiana was mighty fun with a CB 2-3 years ago. I trust it
    hasn't died completely and this new generation (I'm 27), since it loves to gab might be interested in picking it back up if someone would just show them that it is possible.
    Noisome

---
    ž Synchronet ž Digital 52 - bbs.digital52.com
  • From Weatherman@VERT/TLCBBS to North*star on Mon Jun 8 16:59:00 2009
    N ³
    N ³ I know this is a HAM area, but do any of yo still tinker with CB?
    N ³
    N ³ I have resisted, and may actualy be the last person in the USA with out a
    N ³ cell phone.
    N ³
    N ³ I still use my Cobra 146 SSB radio in my truck, and my wife has a Cobra
    N ³ 19DX III in her old volvo. I also have a nice Uniden Washington as a base
    N ³ with a antron A99
    N ³
    N ³
    N ³ Here in North Carolina, I still get some local traffic, but not much. mo
    N ³ of the time its just me and my wife chatting as we drive home from work.
    N ³
    N ³
    N ³ Are there any areas that are still active with CB? or have they all fade
    N ³ away like the BBS's did?

Wait another couple of years, you'll hear more CB chatter than you care to!

P.S. Ham here, but keep 11 meters in all the cars and at home.
    ---
    ž JABBER v1.2 ž The JABBER crisis: "But it worked in Beta testing!"
    ž Synchronet ž The Lost Chord BBS, Elmira Heights NY - thelostchord.dns2go.com:6080
  • From Sam Alexander@VERT/SAMALEX to North*star on Tue Jun 9 19:54:00 2009
    Re: Any love for an old CB'r?
    By: North*star to All on Sat Jun 06 2009 05:47 pm

When I was in high school (early 90's) me and my friends each had CB's and used the heck out of them, but I haven't owned one in years. Anymore the only folks I see who still use them are truckers to get road conditions or just to rag chew during long drives. My brother is an OTR driver and I keep trying to get him to get his ham license, but he says the CB works well for him while driving.

The road I live on is right off the access road to IH35 in Texas, and I've thought about getting a CB at home just to listen to the road conditions before work. There are times when traffic is backed-up for one reason or another, and by the time I hit the access road to see it it's too late (access road is one way). If I ever get my 2M moved indoors and have the $$$ for an outside antenna tower I might have to add an 11m antenna to it as well :)

As for not having a cell phone, the only thing I use mine for anymore is to talk to my wife or for emergencies, but outside of that I could live without one. Last year my cellphone took a dip in the pool and I had to wait about a month before getting a new one It was nice living 'unwired', though there was an instance where my wife had to contact me and couldn't.

I've heard a few local families using their 2m radios as most would use cellphones. They get on and chat on the commute to/from work and schook, and as long as you're near a radio I think it'd be a great way to keep up. And if husband, wife, and kids had a DStar HT it could probably be carried into work or school and used pretty much the same way as a cellphone. If my wife had an interest in ham radio it might be something worth trying out though we'll probably always have a cellphone.

Take care --

Sam

---
    ž Synchronet ž -- Stop the world, I wanna GET OFF! --
  • From Me-Tan@VERT/B4BBS to All on Sun Jun 21 15:28:00 2009
    I am still active on CB in the UK. It seems to have made a bit of a comeback lately. I have a Maxcom 20E on the muppets band in my smart car and a modified president madison at home. The maddy is modified with lows converted to
    highs, FM board fitted, + and -5khz shifters and also modified to work on the muppets band. The maddy is set up mainly for trying to get skip on the freeband, i.e. 27.555. At the moment sunspots are noticable by their absence
    so there isn't as much skip as there should be this year. I have still
    managed to make a contact in Hanover, Germany from here though.

Antenna wise I have a sirio GPS27 half wave on the house and a moonraker
    meteor with a swivel fitting and a magmount stuck on the big rollbar on the side of the smart. The roof is glass so I can't put it there. It works fine
    and I am getting a 10 mile range out of it. I can get 20-30 miles out of the homebase but I think I need to get a bigger pole for it. I think I should
    also put a small pair of boots on the mobile.

There are lots of breakers in Portsmouth, Southampton and Worthing that I
    talk to regularly as I drive around. The truckers don't seem to talk much but that is probably because they are likely using an illegal band such as the irish AM one and I've not gone looking for them. I do plan on getting a dual band rig for my MR2 so will see if they are on the european CEPT band that
    they made legal to use here a few years ago.

---
    ž Synchronet ž B4BBS = London, England - b4bbs.sampsa.com:2323 (telnet) or 2222 (ssh)
  • From W8ZZU@VERT/SCANNER to North*star on Sun Jul 5 16:03:00 2009
    By: North*star to All on Sat Jun 06 2009 05:47 pm

I still use my Cobra 146 SSB radio in my truck, and my wife has a Cobra 19DX III in her old volvo. I also have a nice Uniden Washington as a base with a antron A99

Are there any areas that are still active with CB? or have they all
    faded away like the BBS's did?

Most people that talk on CB are goofs who run illegal equipment and talk a bunch of BS lingo. It is very rare to find a person having a normal conversation.

Jason - W8ZZU
    Total Logged Contacts = 3714
    Last Contact: VE7OZ on 15 Meter SSB. Location: BC, CA. 11/27/08 at 19:03 UTC

---
    ž Synchronet ž Scanner Enthusiasts BBS - scannerbbs.dyndns.org - *Dove-Net
  • From W8ZZU@VERT/SCANNER to Me-Tan on Sun Jul 5 16:08:00 2009
    By: Me-Tan to All on Sun Jun 21 2009 10:28 am

converted to highs, FM board fitted, + and -5khz shifters and also modified to work on the muppets band. The maddy is set up mainly for trying to get skip on the freeband, i.e. 27.555. At the moment sunspots are noticable by their absence so there isn't as much skip as there should be this year. I have still managed to make a contact in Hanover, Germany from here though.

BTW, just an FYI.. That is not a freeband. That frequency is Licensed for goverment use.

Jason - W8ZZU

---
  • From Weatherman@VERT/TLCBBS to W8ZZU on Mon Jul 6 14:13:00 2009
    W ³ Re: Any love for an old CB'r?
    W ³ By: North*star to All on Sat Jun 06 2009 05:47 pm
    W ³
    W ³ > I know this is a HAM area, but do any of yo still tinker with CB?
    W ³ >
    W ³ >
    W ³ > Are there any areas that are still active with CB? or have they all
    W ³ > faded away like the BBS's did?
    W ³ >
    W ³
    W ³ Most people that talk on CB are goofs who run illegal equipment and talk a
    W ³ bunch of BS lingo. It is very rare to find a person having a normal
    W ³ conversation.

I think that's an unfair generalization. In my experience, most of the
    people I know who talk on CB utilize legal equipment, and are offended by
    the abusive language that they hear on the air from the minority of
    operators. I've been using CB radio since 1977 and can confidently say
    that I have never operated illegally.

Ray - KU2S

---
    ž JABBER v1.2 ž One tequila, two tequila, three tequila, floor.
    ž Synchronet ž The Lost Chord BBS, Elmira Heights NY - thelostchord.dns2go.com:6080
  • From Me-Tan@VERT/B4BBS to W8ZZU on Wed Jul 8 11:50:00 2009
    By: W8ZZU to Me-Tan on Sun Jul 05 2009 11:08 am

By: Me-Tan to All on Sun Jun 21 2009 10:28 am

converted to highs, FM board fitted, + and -5khz shifters and also modifi to work on the muppets band. The maddy is set up mainly for trying to get skip on the freeband, i.e. 27.555. At the moment sunspots are noticable b their absence so there isn't as much skip as there should be this year. I have still managed to make a contact in Hanover, Germany from here though

BTW, just an FYI.. That is not a freeband. That frequency is Licensed for goverment use.

It is known as "freebanding" colloquially. The whole of the 11m band is licenced for government use in the UK officially anyway as they used to use
    it for target drones but ended up shifting to 40mhz for that as they were annoyed that their drones were being interfered with by illegal operators and skip from other countries where the band is legal to use.

---
    ž Synchronet ž B4BBS = London, England - b4bbs.sampsa.com:2323 (telnet) or 2222 (ssh)
  • From W8ZZU@VERT/SCANNER to Weatherman on Thu Jul 9 04:24:00 2009
    By: Weatherman to W8ZZU on Mon Jul 06 2009 09:13 am

W ³ Most people that talk on CB are goofs who run illegal equipment and talk a
    W ³ bunch of BS lingo. It is very rare to find a person having a normal
    W ³ conversation.

I think that's an unfair generalization. In my experience, most of the people I know who talk on CB utilize legal equipment, and are offended by the abusive language that they hear on the air from the minority of operators. I've been using CB radio since 1977 and can confidently say
    that I have never operated illegally.

Not in my area or anywhere I have ever traveled. It is very rare to hear anyone not using some type of lingo. You never hear anyone talking normal.
    Its all "10-4 roger" and "no doubt about it". It is like, they have to say all kinds of buzz words or something... it is weird. From my 20 years or so listening to CB... It seems that most of the people that talk there have a screw loose.

Jason - W8ZZU

---
  • From W8ZZU@VERT/SCANNER to Me-Tan on Thu Jul 9 04:27:00 2009
    By: Me-Tan to W8ZZU on Wed Jul 08 2009 06:50 am

It is known as "freebanding" colloquially. The whole of the 11m band is

Your not telling me anything new.... I am well aware of that.

licenced for government use in the UK officially anyway as they used to use it for target drones but ended up shifting to 40mhz for that as they were annoyed that their drones were being interfered with by illegal operators and skip from other countries where the band is legal to use.

It is still illegal... BTW, it is called called DX when operated legalaly... Skip is a lingo term.. anyway, this is a _HAM RADIO_ sub, not 11 meter chicken sub.

Jason - W8ZZU

---
  • From Gary Perkins@VERT/SETXBBS to W8ZZU on Thu Jul 9 05:11:00 2009
    By: W8ZZU to Weatherman on Wed Jul 08 2009 11:24 pm

Not in my area or anywhere I have ever traveled. It is very rare to hear anyone not using some type of lingo. You never hear anyone talking normal. Its all "10-4 roger" and "no doubt about it". It is like, they have to say kinds of buzz words or something... it is weird. From my 20 years or so listening to CB... It seems that most of the people that talk there have a screw loose.

When I used to talk on the CB, I used ten codes, but I at least made an
    attempt to learn how to use them. I don't remember the codes, but starting with the classics, 10-4 and 10-20, me and the people I talked to only used
    them when one of us was "in the grass", which is what they're for; to understand each other better. I did occasionally use "standby a moment",
    "off the air", "what is the time?" (10-25 i think?), "moving to channel X", etc... lots of useful ten codes. With CB only having about a five mile
    range, sometimes it was almost a necessity to use them.

What got me was people coming onto an empty channel and going "Break 14"...
    you could always hear my sarcasm when I call back "go ahead breaker...channel is clear..."

---
    ž Synchronet ž Southeast Texas BBS - setxbbs.synchro.net
  • From Smole@VERT to W8ZZU on Thu Jul 9 09:44:26 2009
    By: W8ZZU to Weatherman on Wed Jul 08 2009 11:24 pm

Not in my area or anywhere I have ever traveled. It is very rare to hear anyone not using some type of lingo. You never hear anyone talking normal. Its all "10-4 roger" and "no doubt about it". It is like, they have to say kinds of buzz words or something... it is weird. From my 20 years or so listening to CB... It seems that most of the people that talk there have a screw loose.

Breaker 19. Ya got me on the flipside there,good buddy? Watch out for 'dem smokies! Looks like we got us a CONVOY!

www.ralphsmole.com
    www.freewebs.com/ralphsmole
    bullishmcgee@gmail.com

---
    ž Synchronet ž Vertrauen ž Home of Synchronet ž telnet://vert.synchro.net
  • From Smole@VERT to W8ZZU on Thu Jul 9 09:45:01 2009
    By: W8ZZU to Me-Tan on Wed Jul 08 2009 11:27 pm

By: Me-Tan to W8ZZU on Wed Jul 08 2009 06:50 am

BTW, just an FYI.. That is not a freeband. That frequency is License for goverment use.

It is known as "freebanding" colloquially. The whole of the 11m band is

Your not telling me anything new.... I am well aware of that.

licenced for government use in the UK officially anyway as they used to u it for target drones but ended up shifting to 40mhz for that as they were annoyed that their drones were being interfered with by illegal operators and skip from other countries where the band is legal to use.

It is still illegal... BTW, it is called called DX when operated legalaly.. Skip is a lingo term.. anyway, this is a _HAM RADIO_ sub, not 11 meter chicken sub.

Jason - W8ZZU

Anybody got a nice linear for sale? :-)

www.ralphsmole.com
    bullishmcgee@gmail.com

---
  • From Weatherman@VERT/TLCBBS to W8ZZU on Thu Jul 9 13:58:00 2009
    W ³ By: Weatherman to W8ZZU on Mon Jul 06 2009 09:13 am
    W ³
    W ³ > W ³ Most people that talk on CB are goofs who run illegal equipment and
    W ³ > talk a
    W ³ > W ³ bunch of BS lingo. It is very rare to find a person having a norma
    W ³ > W ³ conversation.
    W ³ >
    W ³ > I think that's an unfair generalization. In my experience, most of the
    W ³ > people I know who talk on CB utilize legal equipment, and are offended b
    W ³ > the abusive language that they hear on the air from the minority of
    W ³ > operators. I've been using CB radio since 1977 and can confidently say
    W ³ > that I have never operated illegally.
    W ³
    W ³ Not in my area or anywhere I have ever traveled. It is very rare to hear
    W ³ anyone not using some type of lingo. You never hear anyone talking normal.
    W ³ Its all "10-4 roger" and "no doubt about it". It is like, they have to say
    W ³ kinds of buzz words or something... it is weird. From my 20 years or so
    W ³ listening to CB... It seems that most of the people that talk there have a
    W ³ screw loose.
    W ³

Well sure, they use the same lingo, but how in the world can you logically equate lingo-ism to illegal operations? Good Lord, don't you realize that
    the same thing goes on in the ham bands? How many times have I heard on
    the local repeaters that someone has "destinated?" What the hell does "destinated" mean, anyway? OM? XYL? QTH? QRM? 73? 88s? Don't think
    that as hams we don't have our own buzz words. Does that mean we operate illegally as well? Of course not.

Every hobby has their own lingo and buzzwords. If I were to tell you I got
    a 497 and 34 the other night, would you know what I was talking about? If
    I said I had too much sand in my front rest, would that give you a clue?
    If you heard me say that the flags were showing different conditions even
    if they were only 20 feet apart, would you realize what I meant? No you
    might not, but an experienced benchrest shooter probably would.

Don't put down a group of folks just because they speak a language you
    don't understand. That's a sign of a closed mind, and we have enough of
    them as it is...

Ray - KU2S
    ---
    ž JABBER v1.2 ž You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on.
  • From W8ZZU@VERT/SCANNER to Weatherman on Thu Jul 9 23:11:00 2009
    By: Weatherman to W8ZZU on Thu Jul 09 2009 08:58 am

Don't put down a group of folks just because they speak a language you
    don't understand. That's a sign of a closed mind, and we have enough of them as it is...

Your missing the point... Having a conversation on amatuer radio is close to having a face to face plain english conversation with someone. CB'ers tend to "lingo" up their conversations with almost every other word some type of lingo. Like I stated, this is my experience of what I have heard in my area. It just seems odd to me, thats all.. I never put anyone down, nor did I say I didn't understand it. Just merely making an observation. Please stop telling me that I am doing the fore mentioned things. There are dickheads in ham radio and there are dickheads on CB, and there are dickheads on BBS'es. I am not saying one is better than the other.. just making an observation.

Jason - W8ZZU

---
  • From Weatherman@VERT/TLCBBS to W8ZZU on Fri Jul 10 16:07:00 2009
    W ³ By: Weatherman to W8ZZU on Thu Jul 09 2009 08:58 am
    W ³
    W ³ > Don't put down a group of folks just because they speak a language you
    W ³ > don't understand. That's a sign of a closed mind, and we have enough of
    W ³ > them as it is...
    W ³
    W ³ Your missing the point... Having a conversation on amatuer radio is close
    W ³ having a face to face plain english conversation with someone. CB'ers tend
    W ³ "lingo" up their conversations with almost every other word some type of li
    W ³ Like I stated, this is my experience of what I have heard in my area. It j
    W ³ seems odd to me, thats all.. I never put anyone down, nor did I say I didn
    W ³ understand it. Just merely making an observation. Please stop telling me
    W ³ I am doing the fore mentioned things. There are dickheads in ham radio and
    W ³ there are dickheads on CB, and there are dickheads on BBS'es. I am not say
    W ³ one is better than the other.. just making an observation.
    W ³

I'm sorry, but isn't "Most people that talk on CB are goofs who run illegal equipment and talk a bunch of BS lingo" a direct quote from your post?
    That sure sounds like a put-down to me.

---
    ž JABBER v1.2 ž Jabber... The Lean, Mean, Reading Machine...
  • From Black Nigger@VERT/DELUSION to Weatherman on Sat Jul 11 04:57:00 2009
    By: Weatherman to W8ZZU on Fri Jul 10 2009 12:07 pm

I'm sorry, but isn't "Most people that talk on CB are goofs who run illegal equipment and talk a bunch of BS lingo" a direct quote from your post?

i get on the ham radio to tell hicks how much they need other male genitalia

---
    ž Synchronet ž Delusions of Grandeur - delusions.bounceme.net
  • From Me-Tan@VERT/B4BBS to W8ZZU on Sat Jul 11 14:38:00 2009
    By: W8ZZU to Weatherman on Thu Jul 09 2009 06:11 pm

By: Weatherman to W8ZZU on Thu Jul 09 2009 08:58 am

Don't put down a group of folks just because they speak a language you don't understand. That's a sign of a closed mind, and we have enough of them as it is...

Your missing the point... Having a conversation on amatuer radio is close t having a face to face plain english conversation with someone. CB'ers tend "lingo" up their conversations with almost every other word some type of lin Like I stated, this is my experience of what I have heard in my area. It ju seems odd to me, thats all.. I never put anyone down, nor did I say I didn' understand it. Just merely making an observation. Please stop telling me t I am doing the fore mentioned things. There are dickheads in ham radio and there are dickheads on CB, and there are dickheads on BBS'es. I am not sayi one is better than the other.. just making an observation.

Jason - W8ZZU

Yes, because when I am at the pub, see a friend enter, I yell across the
    crowd "CQ CQ DX CQ DX this is ME-tan please QSY to the bar for a drink CQ CQ DX" ;)

There is practically zero usage of lingo on CB these days, just people using
    it for friendly banter in my area and those others I have been driving in.
    Also the only difference between 11m and the HAM bands is whether you need to take a mortgage out to buy the rig, ergo I cannot see why we cannot discuss
    it here.

The drones getting interfered with that I was referring to were being interfered with signals from radios that are legal in mainland europe, the US and Australia. The illegal operators were using imported radios from these countries because we didn't have any legal CB until the 80s and this was
    before then. It was only by the sheer number of illegal operators that we managed to get a legal band to use, albeit a totally useless one with a wierd channel frequency layout that no other country uses to make sure all us operators paid our nearly 20% sales tax on our rigs...

---
  • From Weatherman@VERT/TLCBBS to Black Nigger on Sun Jul 12 08:29:00 2009
    BN³ Re: Any love for an old CB'r?
    BN³ By: Weatherman to W8ZZU on Fri Jul 10 2009 12:07 pm
    BN³
    BN³ > I'm sorry, but isn't "Most people that talk on CB are goofs who run ille
    BN³ > equipment and talk a bunch of BS lingo" a direct quote from your post?
    BN³ > That sure sounds like a put-down to me.
    BN³
    BN³ i get on the ham radio to tell hicks how much they need other male genitali
    BN³

... and I'm confident that you're always willing to volunteer yours

---
    ž JABBER v1.2 ž Shareware it only works if you pay.
  • From Angus McLeod@VERT/ANJO to Weatherman on Mon Jul 13 13:21:00 2009
    By: Weatherman to W8ZZU on Thu Jul 09 2009 08:58:00

OM? XYL? QTH? QRM? 73? 88s? Don't think that as hams we don't
    have our own buzz words.

Almost all of which originate from CW operators. And if you operate CW
    you'll completely understand their necessity.

---
    ž Synchronet ž CQ DX! The ANJO BBS calling on s.l.o.w ADSL
  • From Weatherman@VERT/TLCBBS to Angus McLeod on Wed Jul 15 06:09:00 2009
    By: Angus McLeod to Weatherman on Mon Jul 13 2009 08:21 am

By: Weatherman to W8ZZU on Thu Jul 09 2009 08:58:00

OM? XYL? QTH? QRM? 73? 88s? Don't think that as hams we don't
    have our own buzz words.

Almost all of which originate from CW operators. And if you operate CW you'll completely understand their necessity.

I assure you, I understand and appreciate the convenience of using such abbreviations on CW. However, each and every one of them is routinely heard on the phone sub-bands and as such represent the same level of lingo-ism that was one of the complaints against CB users.

---
  • From W8ZZU@VERT/SCANNER to Weatherman on Thu Jul 16 00:14:00 2009
    By: Weatherman to W8ZZU on Fri Jul 10 2009 11:07 am

...and that is true... your point? Who are you trying to defend, yourself? Because you know its true also.

Jason - W8ZZU

---
  • From W8ZZU@VERT/SCANNER to Weatherman on Thu Jul 16 00:17:00 2009
    By: Weatherman to Angus McLeod on Wed Jul 15 2009 01:09 am

you'll completely understand their necessity.

I assure you, I understand and appreciate the convenience of using such abbreviations on CW. However, each and every one of them is routinely
    heard on the phone sub-bands and as such represent the same level of lingo-ism that was one of the complaints against CB users.

Then go talk on your CB then.. Nobody is telling you not too.

Jason - W8ZZU

---
  • From Weatherman@VERT/TLCBBS to W8ZZU on Thu Jul 16 05:29:00 2009
    W ³ By: Weatherman to W8ZZU on Fri Jul 10 2009 11:07 am
    W ³
    W ³ > I'm sorry, but isn't "Most people that talk on CB are goofs who run ille
    W ³ > equipment and talk a bunch of BS lingo" a direct quote from your post?
    W ³ > That sure sounds like a put-down to me.
    W ³
    W ³ ...and that is true... your point? Who are you trying to defend, yourself
    W ³ Because you know its true also.
    W ³

My point (and really, it should be quite obvious to anyone with even close
    to average intelligence), is that while you claim to NOT be putting down
    any group of people, your posts most definitely show things to be quite the opposite.

---
    ž JABBER v1.2 ž Paranoia: Not a mental disorder, it's a survival trait!
  • From Weatherman@VERT/TLCBBS to W8ZZU on Thu Jul 16 05:31:00 2009
    W ³ By: Weatherman to Angus McLeod on Wed Jul 15 2009 01:09 am
    W ³
    W ³ > > you'll completely understand their necessity.
    W ³ >
    W ³ >
    W ³ >
    W ³ > I assure you, I understand and appreciate the convenience of using such
    W ³ > abbreviations on CW. However, each and every one of them is routinely
    W ³ > heard on the phone sub-bands and as such represent the same level of
    W ³ > lingo-ism that was one of the complaints against CB users.
    W ³
    W ³
    W ³ Then go talk on your CB then.. Nobody is telling you not too.
    W ³

Didn't realize I needed your permission or your approval. I'll utilize
    either my Robyn SB-520 or my TS-2000, both of which sit quite happily next
    to each other here in the shack, depending on which suits my mood and my operatin needs - and if you don't mind, I'll forego the technicality of checking with you first...

---
    ž JABBER v1.2 ž He's dead Jim!
  • From Angus McLeod@VERT/ANJO to Weatherman on Sun Jul 19 03:55:00 2009
    By: Weatherman to Angus McLeod on Wed Jul 15 2009 01:09:00

OM? XYL? QTH? QRM? 73? 88s? Don't think that as hams we don't have our own buzz words.

Almost all of which originate from CW operators. And if you operate CW you'll completely understand their necessity.

I assure you, I understand and appreciate the convenience of using such abbreviations on CW. However, each and every one of them is routinely heard the phone sub-bands and as such represent the same level of lingo-ism that w one of the complaints against CB users.

I don't *necessarily* agree. Sure, you can be an idiot and have an entire
    QSO in Q-codes. But you don't hear that very often. Or youy can sit
    three miles away from your contact (with a 500W repeater between you) and blatt on like that on 2M FM. But there are idiots everywhere.

OTOH, the Q-codes and some common CW abbreviations come in very handy when conditions are marginal or when working foreign DX. And given that it's
    all one hobby, I don't see that there is any need to learn *TWO* sets of signal procedures.

---
  • From W8ZZU@VERT/SCANNER to Weatherman on Mon Jul 20 18:27:00 2009
    By: Weatherman to W8ZZU on Thu Jul 16 2009 12:29 am

W ³ ...and that is true... your point? Who are you trying to defend, yourself
    W ³ Because you know its true also.
    W ³

My point (and really, it should be quite obvious to anyone with even close to average intelligence), is that while you claim to NOT be putting down
    any group of people, your posts most definitely show things to be quite the opposite.

It's still true.. You still didn't answer my question.. Defending yourself?

Jason - W8ZZU

---
  • From W8ZZU@VERT/SCANNER to Weatherman on Mon Jul 20 18:30:00 2009
    By: Weatherman to W8ZZU on Thu Jul 16 2009 12:31 am

W ³

Didn't realize I needed your permission or your approval. I'll utilize either my Robyn SB-520 or my TS-2000, both of which sit quite happily next to each other here in the shack, depending on which suits my mood and my operatin needs - and if you don't mind, I'll forego the technicality of checking with you first...

Your a tyupical CB'er... I can tell from your posts here. Nobody is telling you you need permission or approval.. Read above.. You are obviously having trouble following what is going on in this thread.. You are too busy trying to defend yourself, an active CB'er. Take the blinders off and READ. I am done with you good buddy.

Jason - W8ZZU

---
  • From Smole@VERT to W8ZZU on Mon Jul 20 17:53:21 2009
    By: W8ZZU to Weatherman on Mon Jul 20 2009 01:30 pm

By: Weatherman to W8ZZU on Thu Jul 16 2009 12:31 am

W ³

Didn't realize I needed your permission or your approval. I'll utilize either my Robyn SB-520 or my TS-2000, both of which sit quite happily nex to each other here in the shack, depending on which suits my mood and my operatin needs - and if you don't mind, I'll forego the technicality of checking with you first...

Your a tyupical CB'er... I can tell from your posts here. Nobody is tellin you you need permission or approval.. Read above.. You are obviously having trouble following what is going on in this thread.. You are too busy trying defend yourself, an active CB'er. Take the blinders off and READ. I am don with you good buddy.

Jason - W8ZZU

This HAM vs. CB hatrid is really starting to irk me. Since when did anyone give you the right to be God's gift to radio? This petty bullshit is ridiculous, and reminds me of the old my dad is better than your dad childish shit. SHUT THE FUCK UP AND GET A LIFE!
    www.ralphsmole.com
    bullishmcgee@gmail.com

---
  • From The Curmudgeon@VERT/TCP to Smole on Tue Jul 21 18:21:11 2009
    Hello Smole.

While chewing on a twig, you spoke thus to W8ZZU:

This HAM vs. CB hatrid is really starting to irk me. Since
    when did anyone give you the right to be God's gift to radio?
    This petty bullshit is ridiculous, and reminds me of the old
    my dad is better than your dad childish shit. SHUT THE FUCK UP
    AND GET A LIFE!

Amen there Smole... preach it!!! :)

I think he's just a snob because most Ham users I know realize that
    both sets of radios have their positive side. :)

ghintz@itctel.com
    , .________________________________________________.
    ,___|._/_. | Trucking through life with a smile on my face! |
    ,___/__] || | | -=[ The Curmudgeon ]=- |
    |.__!____!!___! !________________________________________________!
    "~(_)[___][___]==(_)(_)=| \_______________________]=(_)(_)(_)~'

* PowerSIG/Win32 v1.00 Alpha *

... Don't sweat the petty things, just pet the sweaty things. ----
    --- Curmudge Mail 1.1
    * Origin: The Curmudgeon's Place -= curmudge.hopto.org =- (33:1/2)
    ž Synchronet ž The Curmudgeon's Place -=curmudge.hopto.org=-
  • From W8ZZU@VERT/SCANNER to Smole on Wed Jul 22 03:34:00 2009
    By: Smole to W8ZZU on Mon Jul 20 2009 12:53 pm

Your a tyupical CB'er... I can tell from your posts here. Nobody is tellin you you need permission or approval.. Read above.. You are obviously having trouble following what is going on in this thread.. You are too busy trying defend yourself, an active CB'er. Take the blinders off and READ. I am don with you good buddy.

This HAM vs. CB hatrid is really starting to irk me. Since when did anyone give you the right to be God's gift to radio? This petty bullshit is ridiculous, and reminds me of the old my dad is better than your dad childish shit. SHUT THE FUCK UP AND GET A LIFE!

I don't have any _hatred_ for CB'ers. I never said I did. Obviously you don't read as well.

Jason - W8ZZU

---
  • From W8ZZU@VERT/SCANNER to The Curmudgeon on Wed Jul 22 03:37:00 2009
    By: The Curmudgeon to Smole on Tue Jul 21 2009 01:21 pm

I think he's just a snob because most Ham users I know realize that
    both sets of radios have their positive side. :)

Not a snob at all.. In fact I came from CB. I used CB for many years when I was a kid. I have a CB in my vehicle. I was just making an observation that a select few obviously didn't understand. In fact I gotta get going, The ISS is making a pass over Michigan here soon and I am going to try to make contact with them. Have fun talking to the truckers about the pickle park.

Jason - W8ZZU

---
  • From The Curmudgeon@VERT/TCP to W8ZZU on Fri Jul 24 14:55:47 2009
    Hello W8ZZU.

While chewing on a twig, you spoke thus to me:

Not a snob at all.. In fact I came from CB. I used CB for
    many years when I was a kid. I have a CB in my vehicle. I

And an obvious disdain for a lot of people who use them mainly, of
    course , truck drivers. :) What you tend to ignore is that a few
    bad apples who talk trash on the CB are not the bulk of those who
    use them. I no longer drive truck myself as I'm now a retired truck
    driver but let me tell you that I, among a whole bunch of other
    older guys, have as much disdain for those who do nothing but talk
    trash on the radio as you do but we realize it is just a small
    percentage of cb users who are that ignorant.

was just making an observation that a select few obviously
    didn't understand. In fact I gotta get going, The ISS is
    making a pass over Michigan here soon and I am going to try to
    make contact with them. Have fun talking to the truckers
    about the pickle park.

whatever. :)

==================================================================
    _ __/| Having a bad day? It could be worse so cheer up!
    \'+.0| {The Curmudgeon}
    =(_^_)= ghintz@itctel.com
    U
    Acckkk Pfffffttttttt yahoo gaylenhintz ==================================================================

* PowerSIG/Win32 v1.00 Alpha *

... FIRE!! BANG!! OOUUUCH!!!!! Whoops! Is anyone down range. ----
    --- Curmudge Mail 1.1
  • From Hamman@VERT/TRN to W8ZZU on Sat Aug 29 11:09:18 2009

Typical Ham Radio operator attitude - thinking they are superior
    to other radio operators. Just because you delight in
    making 'rubber stamp' contacts and derive pleasure in
    conversing in the most ellict & pure form of technical faggotry known
    to man. Really , who would be proud of being branded with something that
    looks like the manuf. number of a dodgey chinese semiconductor from back streets of gyangdong ??

--

---
    ž Synchronet ž Roughneck BBS - telnet://roughneckbbs.com - www.roughneckbbs.com
  • From Smole@VERT to Hamman on Sat Aug 29 19:48:15 2009
    By: Hamman to W8ZZU on Sat Aug 29 2009 06:09 am

making 'rubber stamp' contacts and derive pleasure in
    conversing in the most ellict & pure form of technical faggotry known
    to man. Really , who would be proud of being branded with something that looks like the manuf. number of a dodgey chinese semiconductor from back streets of gyangdong ??

--

Post your bullshit in the CB sub. Oh wait..there ISN'T one. For good reason,you jerkoff.

www.ralphsmole.com
    bullishmcgee@gmail.com

---
  • From Gaylen Hintz@VERT/TCP to Smole on Sun Aug 30 19:04:35 2009
    Hello Smole.

While chewing on a twig, you spoke thus to Hamman:

Post your bullshit in the CB sub. Oh wait..there ISN'T one.
    For good reason,you jerkoff.

hmmmm, seems to me you've just proven his point there Smole. :)

\'+.0| {The Curmudgeon}
    U
    Acckkk Pfffffttttttt yahoo gaylenhintz ==================================================================

* PowerSIG/Win32 v1.01 *

... Coming to this tagline soon, a NEW HAM call sign ----
    --- Curmudge Mail 1.1
  • From Weatherman@VERT/TLCBBS to Gaylen Hintz on Mon Aug 31 14:06:00 2009
    GH³ Hello Smole.
    GH³
    GH³ While chewing on a twig, you spoke thus to Hamman:
    GH³
    GH³ Sm> Post your bullshit in the CB sub. Oh wait..there ISN'T one.
    GH³ Sm> For good reason,you jerkoff.
    GH³
    GH³ hmmmm, seems to me you've just proven his point there Smole. :)
    GH³

Yeah, unfortunately, it's attitudes like that which just fuels the CBer vs
    Ham battle. Guess there are closed minds on both sides of the issue. Too
    bad. We lose a lot of potential hams that way...

---
    ž JABBER v1.2 ž The JABBER crisis: "But it worked in Beta testing!"
  • From The Curmudgeon@VERT/TCP to Weatherman on Tue Sep 1 03:44:50 2009
    Hello Weatherman.

GH³ hmmmm, seems to me you've just proven his point there
    Smole. :)

Yeah, unfortunately, it's attitudes like that which just fuels
    the CBer vs Ham battle. Guess there are closed minds on both
    sides of the issue. Too bad. We lose a lot of potential hams
    that way...

Indeed you are correct. :) To be honest though, many in the CB
    community have brought it on themselves with the foul language and
    so on and so forth but what far too many hams don't understand that
    it is a small but very vocal minority of CB'ers who hog the
    frequency. I no longer am a truck driver but while I was, I very
    seldom talked on it and if I did get into a chat session with
    someone we usually went to our company channel for quiet. <g>

\'+.0| {The Curmudgeon}
    U

* PowerSIG/Win32 v1.01 *

... I'd gladly donate to entropy, but I don't have the energy ----
    --- Curmudge Mail 1.1
  • From Angus McLeod@VERT/ANJO to Weatherman on Tue Sep 1 23:36:00 2009
    By: Weatherman to Gaylen Hintz on Mon Aug 31 2009 09:06:00

GH³

Yeah, unfortunately, it's attitudes like that which just fuels the CBer vs Ham battle. Guess there are closed minds on both sides of the issue. Too bad. We lose a lot of potential hams that way...

Ham radio operators *ARE* superior to any other class of radio operator.
    Unless you have some half-assed, Clintonesque definition of 'Superior'.

If anyone thinks they can name a class of radio operator superior to (or
    at least on a par with) ham radio operators, I'd like to hear about it.

---
  • From Weatherman@VERT/TLCBBS to The Curmudgeon on Tue Sep 1 17:23:00 2009
    TC³ Hello Weatherman.
    TC³
    TC³ While chewing on a twig, you spoke thus to me:
    TC³
    TC³ We> GH³ hmmmm, seems to me you've just proven his point there
    TC³ Smole. :)
    TC³
    TC³ We> Yeah, unfortunately, it's attitudes like that which just fuels
    TC³ We> the CBer vs Ham battle. Guess there are closed minds on both
    TC³ We> sides of the issue. Too bad. We lose a lot of potential hams
    TC³ We> that way...
    TC³
    TC³ Indeed you are correct. :) To be honest though, many in the CB
    TC³ community have brought it on themselves with the foul language and
    TC³ so on and so forth but what far too many hams don't understand that
    TC³ it is a small but very vocal minority of CB'ers who hog the
    TC³ frequency. I no longer am a truck driver but while I was, I very
    TC³ seldom talked on it and if I did get into a chat session with
    TC³ someone we usually went to our company channel for quiet. <g>

Just got done with a 7,000 mile/2week trek with both 2m and 11m in the car. I'll admit there were one or two times when I had to turn the 11m off just
    to keep the air from getting too "blue" in the car, but for the most part
    the conversation on both radios was pleasant and not at all as abusive as I hear locally. I'm thinking that most of the trouble might come from base stations...

---
    ž JABBER v1.2 ž If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving isn't for you
  • From Corey@VERT/TSGC to Angus McLeod on Tue Sep 1 21:41:02 2009
    By: Angus McLeod to Weatherman on Tue Sep 01 2009 06:36 pm

By: Weatherman to Gaylen Hintz on Mon Aug 31 2009 09:06:00

GH³

Yeah, unfortunately, it's attitudes like that which just fuels the CBer v Ham battle. Guess there are closed minds on both sides of the issue. To bad. We lose a lot of potential hams that way...

Ham radio operators *ARE* superior to any other class of radio operator. Unless you have some half-assed, Clintonesque definition of 'Superior'.

I love old hams. got to have a good sauce for them thou. and nice bread.

Caput meum major podice meo.
    This message has ended, go in peace...

---
    ž Synchronet ž Three Stooges Gentlemens Club - Las Vegas, Nv - tsgc.dyndns.org
  • From mrproper@VERT/WARZONE to Corey on Wed Sep 2 01:50:40 2009
    By: Corey to Angus McLeod on Tue Sep 01 2009 04:41 pm

pineapple and brown sugar.

---
    ž Synchronet ž WarZone - Chatsworth, GA - 706.517.4516 - warzone.synchro.net
  • From Ralph Smole@VERT/NIMBUS to Angus McLeod on Wed Sep 2 00:35:00 2009
    By: Angus McLeod to Weatherman on Tue Sep 01 2009 06:36 pm

AMEN,Angus! How many CB operators are out there during severe weather relaying info to the NWS?? Hmmm...

---
    ž Synchronet ž Nimbus BBS , Briar TX
  • From Corey@VERT/TSGC to mrproper on Wed Sep 2 02:33:09 2009
    By: mrproper to Corey on Tue Sep 01 2009 08:50 pm

and a fine mustard. mayo sucks.

---
    ž Synchronet ž Three Stooges Gentlemens Club - Las Vegas, Nv - tsgc.dyndns.org
  • From Ralph Smole@VERT/NIMBUS to Corey on Wed Sep 2 11:27:00 2009
    By: Corey to mrproper on Tue Sep 01 2009 09:33 pm

By: mrproper to Corey on Tue Sep 01 2009 08:50 pm

I love old hams. got to have a good sauce for them thou. and nice brea

and a fine mustard. mayo sucks.

Mayo is great. Just NOT on ham. (Unless it's a cold ham sandwich).

---
  • From Weatherman@VERT/TLCBBS to Angus McLeod on Wed Sep 2 17:39:00 2009
    AM³ Re: Any love for an old CB'r?
    AM³ By: Weatherman to Gaylen Hintz on Mon Aug 31 2009 09:06:00
    AM³
    AM³ > GH³ Sm> Post your bullshit in the CB sub. Oh wait..there ISN'T one.
    AM³ > GH³ Sm> For good reason,you jerkoff.
    AM³ > GH³
    AM³ > GH³ hmmmm, seems to me you've just proven his point there Smole. :)
    AM³ >
    AM³ > Yeah, unfortunately, it's attitudes like that which just fuels the CBer
    AM³ > Ham battle. Guess there are closed minds on both sides of the issue. T
    AM³ > bad. We lose a lot of potential hams that way...
    AM³
    AM³ Ham radio operators *ARE* superior to any other class of radio operator.
    AM³ Unless you have some half-assed, Clintonesque definition of 'Superior'.
    AM³
    AM³ If anyone thinks they can name a class of radio operator superior to (or
    AM³ at least on a par with) ham radio operators, I'd like to hear about it.

Offhand I'd say just about any radio operator aboard any US Naval military vessel. How about the navigator/radio operator onboard USAF bomber and transport aircraft. Technically the operators of radio telescopes across
    the world are radio operators. I'm certainly confident that they have
    every bit the skill and ability that a Ham does.

Hell, I'm not even warmed up yet! I could go on and on!

---
    ž JABBER v1.2 ž He was a wise man who invented beer. - Plato
  • From Angus McLeod@VERT/ANJO to Weatherman on Thu Sep 3 15:10:00 2009
    By: Weatherman to Angus McLeod on Wed Sep 02 2009 12:39:00

AM³ If anyone thinks they can name a class of radio operator superior to (o
    AM³ at least on a par with) ham radio operators, I'd like to hear about it.

Offhand I'd say just about any radio operator aboard any US Naval military vessel. How about the navigator/radio operator onboard USAF bomber and transport aircraft. Technically the operators of radio telescopes across the world are radio operators. I'm certainly confident that they have
    every bit the skill and ability that a Ham does.

Ham radio operators are -- by law -- entitled to build new radio
    transmitters from scratch, test and align them themselves, and operate
    them upon the bands. US Naval radio operators, USAF bomber and transport
    radio operators, radio telescope operators and CB operators are not
    allowed -- by law -- to do this.

In fact, ham radio operators are THE ONLY CLASS OF RADIO OPERATOR in the
    entire world, that are allowed -- by law -- to operate equipment that had
    has not been type-approved by the authorities (in your country, that would
    be the FCC). Strangely enough, the FCC staff *themselves* are not allowed
    to operate any radio equipment that has not been type-approved by the FCC itself.

Only ham radio operators are considered -- by law -- to have the skill,
    ability and training, to be safely allowed to construct and operate non-type-approved equipment.

Hell, I'm not even warmed up yet! I could go on and on!

Goody! Well, when your warm-up process causes you to reach an above-
    freezing temperature, we will discuss what class of operator is the only
    class of operator allowed -- by law -- to operate a VFO as opposed to channelized equipment.

---
  • From The Curmudgeon@VERT/TCP to Weatherman on Sat Sep 5 16:21:32 2009
    Hello Weatherman.

TC³ frequency. I no longer am a truck driver but while I was,
    I very TC³ seldom talked on it and if I did get into a chat
    session with TC³ someone we usually went to our company
    channel for quiet. <g>

Just got done with a 7,000 mile/2week trek with both 2m and
    11m in the car. I'll admit there were one or two times when I
    had to turn the 11m off just to keep the air from getting too
    "blue" in the car, but for the most part the conversation on

:) it does happen sometimes. :)

both radios was pleasant and not at all as abusive as I hear
    locally. I'm thinking that most of the trouble might come
    from base stations...

That or a lot of times around the bigger cities you'll hear the
    mindless chatter from some of the mindless truck drivers at the
    truck stop. I can recall one such incident in Stony Ridge Ohio where
    one such stupid driver was using really blue language on the radio.
    After a short conversation with him telling him to clean up his
    garbage on the air, he challenged me to come out and I said only if
    I bring my 357 with me... hmmm, turns out he was only a couple
    trucks down from me. Now he got really brave and decided to call my
    bluff..... stepped down from his truck and I reached down to grab my
    "tire billy" , he looked up at me... went back to his truck and
    never said a word the rest of the night. <g>

ghintz@itctel.com
    , .________________________________________________.
    ,___|._/_. | Trucking through life with a smile on my face! |
    ,___/__] || | | -=[ The Curmudgeon ]=- |
    |.__!____!!___! !________________________________________________!
    "~(_)[___][___]==(_)(_)=| \_______________________]=(_)(_)(_)~'

* PowerSIG/Win32 v1.01 *

... BEER.CAN * crunching... squishing... recycling.... ----
    --- Curmudge Mail 1.1
  • From The Curmudgeon@VERT/TCP to Ralph Smole on Sat Sep 5 16:27:23 2009
    Hello Ralph.

While chewing on a twig, you spoke thus to Angus McLeod:

If anyone thinks they can name a class of radio operator
    superior to (or at least on a par with) ham radio operators, I'd
    like to hear about it.

AMEN,Angus! How many CB operators are out there during severe
    weather relaying info to the NWS?? Hmmm...

Ummm, ever hear of ReAct? They were such an organization long
    before the "superior" ones in ham decided to get off their butt and
    be of service. :)

Ya know, you guys are going to break your arm trying to pat
    yourself on the back. :)

FWIW, years ago our CB club put up a base antenna on a microwave
    tower ( half way up ) high on a hill and in case of sever weather or
    whatever one or two of us would be up at that station relaying
    needed messages back and forth. We just thought it was the right
    thing to do and felt no need to brag about it or feel superior.

ŚÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄæ
    ³ The Curmudgeon yahoo gaylenhintz ³
    ³ ghintz@itctel.com ³
    ³ telnet to curmudge.hopto.org ³
    ĄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄŁ

* PowerSIG/Win32 v1.01 *

... A conclusion is a place where you got tired of thinking. ----
    --- Curmudge Mail 1.1
  • From Mrproper@VERT to The Curmudgeon on Sun Sep 6 20:15:56 2009

| Trucking through life with a smile on my face! | ,___/__] || | |

how can you have much of a smile on your face hacing to drive on the same highways as all these idiots.. I'm getting tire of having to drive 4-wheelers much less a rig.

Mrproper

---
  • From Gaylen Hintz@VERT/TCP to Mrproper on Mon Sep 7 12:50:36 2009
    Hello Mrproper.

how can you have much of a smile on your face hacing to drive
    on the same highways as all these idiots.. I'm getting tire of
    having to drive 4-wheelers much less a rig.

Well sir, it's all about attitude and keeping it positive. If you
    let them get to you, you've lost. If you can keep your cool and
    remember that all people are fellable... :)

\\\ ///
    \\ - - //
    ( @ @ )
    +----------------oOOo©( )-oOOo----------------+
    | | | | | | | | | | | |
    | | | | The Curmudgeon | | | |
    | | | | | | | | | | | |
    +--------------------------Ooooo--------------+
    ooooO ( )
    ghintz@itctel.com ( ) ) /
    \ ( (_/
    telnet curmudge.hopto.org \_) curmudge.no-ip.org

* PowerSIG/Win32 v1.01 *

... "The plastic surgery failed," the doctor said defacingly. ----
    --- Curmudge Mail 1.1
  • From W8ZZU@VERT/SCANNER to The Curmudgeon on Thu Sep 10 02:48:00 2009
    By: The Curmudgeon to Ralph Smole on Sat Sep 05 2009 11:27 am

FWIW, years ago our CB club put up a base antenna on a microwave
    tower ( half way up ) high on a hill and in case of sever weather or whatever one or two of us would be up at that station relaying
    needed messages back and forth. We just thought it was the right
    thing to do and felt no need to brag about it or feel superior.

...and that was probably illegal. CB has a height restriction but nobody checked, I'm sure.

Jason - W8ZZU

---
  • From Ralph Smole@VERT/NIMBUS to W8ZZU on Thu Sep 10 11:35:00 2009
    By: W8ZZU to The Curmudgeon on Wed Sep 09 2009 09:48 pm

...and that was probably illegal. CB has a height restriction but nobody checked, I'm sure.

I also wonder how powerful the linear was.

Ralph M. Smole
    The Nimbus BBS: nimbus.synchro.net

---
  • From The Curmudgeon@VERT/TCP to W8ZZU on Sat Sep 12 13:22:03 2009
    Hello W8ZZU.

or whatever one or two of us would be up at that station
    relaying needed messages back and forth. We just thought it was
    the right thing to do and felt no need to brag about it or feel
    superior.

...and that was probably illegal. CB has a height restriction
    but nobody checked, I'm sure.

Yep, probably was as per the letter of the law but since it was
    providing a needed and desired communications effort no one seemed
    to mind. Also, the only time that particular setup was used was
    when there was threatening weather. :)

FWIW, a local Ham operator helped us set it up. :)

³ ghintz@itctel.com ³

* PowerSIG/Win32 v1.01 *

... Schizophrenia beats dining alone. ----
    --- Curmudge Mail 1.1
  • From The Curmudgeon@VERT/TCP to Ralph Smole on Sat Sep 12 13:26:16 2009
    Hello Ralph.

No linear needed from that , very high on a hill, location. :) On a
    good day, testing mode, it was not too hard to exceed the 60 mile
    limit and that was on the AM side. :)

\\\ ///
    \\ - - //
    ( @ @ )
    | | | | | | | | | | | |
    | | | | | | | | | | | |
    ooooO ( )
    \ ( (_/

* PowerSIG/Win32 v1.01 *

... Reformat Hard Drive! Are you SURE (Y/Y)? ----
    --- Curmudge Mail 1.1
  • From phil@VERT/PTAYLOR to The Curmudgeon on Thu Oct 8 04:34:20 2009
    By: The Curmudgeon to Ralph Smole on Sat Sep 12 2009 09:26:00

Hello Ralph.

No linear needed from that , very high on a hill, location. :) On a
    good day, testing mode, it was not too hard to exceed the 60 mile
    limit and that was on the AM side. :)

\\\ ///
    \\ - - //
    ( @ @ )
    | | | | | | | | | | | |
    | | | | | | | | | | | |
    ooooO ( )
    \ ( (_/

* PowerSIG/Win32 v1.01 *

... Reformat Hard Drive! Are you SURE (Y/Y)?
    ----

That was cool.

---
    ž Synchronet ž sbbs.cyberchatnet.com 23, Vienna, VA
  • From The Curmudgeon@VERT/TCP to phil on Thu Oct 8 16:29:39 2009
    Hello phil.

That was cool.

I thank you sir. :)

³ ghintz@itctel.com ³

* PowerSIG/Win32 v1.01 *

... I want to be what I was when I wanted to be what I am now ----
    --- Curmudge Mail 1.1