• Rigblaster Plug and Play

From Robert D@VERT/DMINE to All on Wed Jun 23 20:09:08 2010
    Has anyone tried using the Rigblaster Plug and Play with a Yaesu 857D? I purchased the Rigblaster a couple of weeks ago and I have not been able to get the thing to correctly key the radio and transmit CW. It will work (I think) on the other digital modes but just not on CW.

The instructions don't give much more than "Install the drivers" as instructions for setting it up.

If you have been able to get your 857D to work with the Rigblaster Plug and Play please let me know what you did to get it to work.

BTW, I am running my rig control software on XP SP3. THe software I usually run is HRD (I have tried both ver 4 and 5. Neither seem to want to work with CW.) There are other titles I have tried to use with the Rigblaster but I get the same results, no CW keying.

Thanks.

---
    þ Synchronet þ Diamond Mine Online BBS - bbs.dmine.net
  • From Crash_Override@VERT/DMINE to Robert D on Tue Jul 13 15:55:15 2010
    Has anyone tried using the Rigblaster Plug and Play with a Yaesu 857D? I purchased the Rigblaster a couple of weeks ago and I have not been able to get the thing to correctly key the radio and transmit CW. It will work (I think) on the other digital modes but just not on CW.

The instructions don't give much more than "Install the drivers" as instructions for setting it up.

If you have been able to get your 857D to work with the Rigblaster Plug and Play please let me know what you did to get it to work.

BTW, I am running my rig control software on XP SP3. THe software I usually run is HRD (I have tried both ver 4 and 5. Neither seem to want to work
    with CW.) There are other titles I have tried to use with the Rigblaster
    but I get the same results, no CW keying.

Thanks.
    I don't know much about the rigblaster other than the reviews that have been read by me and they weren't good. There were complaints about the same thing you're talking about as well as cheap components that fall apart easily and without any type of abusive or neglectful handling, etc. The plug and play version is different than the rigblaster boxes and that's all I know.

---
  • From Racer38@VERT/TACBBS to Robert D on Mon Aug 9 21:24:15 2010

BTW, I am running my rig control software on XP SP3. THe software I usually run is HRD (I have tried both ver 4 and 5. Neither seem to want to work

Thanks.

You really didnt need the Rigblaster with the FT-857D. I am using a CAT Cable and a split cable that plugs into my sound card on the computer and the data port. Installed Ham Radio Deluxe and it does it all.
    Not sure about the CW as I dont have a CW Cable but I dont think you need one unless you are using an external keyer..

73's

Craig
    W1MED

---
    þ Synchronet þ TACBBS - tacbbs.synchro.net
  • From Racer38@VERT/TACBBS to Robert D on Tue Sep 7 10:30:49 2010

Thanks.

---

It has to do with the poorly written com routines in HRD, its not passing the correct DTR / RTS signal to the rigblaster.
    I assume you are using DM780, I couldnt even get the PSK31 working correctly, then I found a small program called ptt2dtr, you install a pair of virtual com ports and use this program to properly pass the correct signal to the rigblaster. It's kind of hard to get it all set up once it is it works pretty well, you would need to switch from setting DTR to RTS for CW in the ptt2dtr program as the regblaster needs this to send the sounds from the computer to the radio.

Simon the author of HRD is suppose to fix some of the com routines in a future version, but no telling how long it will be before that is released.

I love using HRD and really didnt want to stop using it because of an
    interface problem.

73 de W1MED
    Craig

---
    þ Synchronet þ TACBBS - tacbbs.synchro.net
  • From Tommyknocker@VERT to Crash_Override on Fri Sep 24 01:04:16 2010
    Re: Re: Rigblaster Plug and Play
    By: Crash_Override to Robert D on Tue Jul 13 2010 10:55 am

I don't know much about the rigblaster other than the reviews that have been read by me and they weren't good. There were complaints about the same thing you're talking about as well as cheap components that fall apart easily and without any type of abusive or neglectful handling, etc. The plug and play

Well I have a Rig Blaster Pro, and a Rig Blaster Plus. They work perfectl if the directions are followed. The plus has made 3 field days and is still in perfect condition.
    Keep in mind that these are just interfaces between you pc sound card and com port to a transceiver. You must read the docs for whatever software you are running. PSK31, RTTY, or whatever. They have to be configured to use the hardware. Rig blasters do not just work when plugged in and drivers installed. Configure your software.
    TK

---
    þ Synchronet þ Vertrauen þ Home of Synchronet þ telnet://vert.synchro.net
  • From Robert D@VERT/DMINE to Racer38 on Mon Jan 17 20:41:38 2011
    By: Racer38 to Robert D on Mon Aug 09 2010 04:24 pm

Has anyone tried using the Rigblaster Plug and Play with a Yaesu 857D? I purchased the Rigblaster a couple of weeks ago and I have not been able
    t
    get the thing to correctly key the radio and transmit CW. It will work (I think) on the other digital modes but just not on CW.

If you have been able to get your 857D to work with the Rigblaster Plug a Play please let me know what you did to get it to work.

BTW, I am running my rig control software on XP SP3. THe software I usual run is HRD (I have tried both ver 4 and 5. Neither seem to want to work with CW.) There are other titles I have tried to use with the Rigblaster but I get the same results, no CW keying.

Thanks.

You really didnt need the Rigblaster with the FT-857D. I am using a CAT Cabl and a split cable that plugs into my sound card on the computer and the data port. Installed Ham Radio Deluxe and it does it all.
    Not sure about the CW as I dont have a CW Cable but I dont think you need on unless you are using an external keyer..

73's

Craig
    W1MED

Thanks for the reply!
    The main reason for the RigBlaster was for rig control for a project that is on the proverbial 'back burner'. I have yet to make any contacts on any of the digital modes so I do not know if the thing is actually working. WHen it gets warmer out I will go back out to a park and hang a couple of wires in the trees and try again.

If you can point me to an article on getting the thing to work with CW I would appreciate it. I have yet to find one. And not amy people in my area use the RigBlaster. Most of the people who work CW are old timers who only use their computer for logging.

THanks again!

---
  • From Robert D@VERT/DMINE to Racer38 on Mon Jan 17 20:47:34 2011
    By: Racer38 to Robert D on Tue Sep 07 2010 05:30 am

Has anyone tried using the Rigblaster Plug and Play with a Yaesu 857D? I purchased the Rigblaster a couple of weeks ago and I have not been able t get the thing to correctly key the radio and transmit CW. It will work (I think) on the other digital modes but just not on CW.

If you have been able to get your 857D to work with the Rigblaster Plug a Play please let me know what you did to get it to work.

BTW, I am running my rig control software on XP SP3. THe software I usual run is HRD (I have tried both ver 4 and 5. Neither seem to want to work with CW.) There are other titles I have tried to use with the Rigblaster but I get the same results, no CW keying.

Thanks.

---

It has to do with the poorly written com routines in HRD, its not passing th correct DTR / RTS signal to the rigblaster.
    I assume you are using DM780, I couldnt even get the PSK31 working correctly then I found a small program called ptt2dtr, you install a pair of virtual c ports and use this program to properly pass the correct signal to the rigblaster. It's kind of hard to get it all set up once it is it works prett well, you would need to switch from setting DTR to RTS for CW in the ptt2dtr program as the regblaster needs this to send the sounds from the computer to the radio.

Simon the author of HRD is suppose to fix some of the com routines in a futu version, but no telling how long it will be before that is released.

I love using HRD and really didnt want to stop using it because of an interface problem.

73 de W1MED
    Craig

I will definitely have to give this program a try!

Thanks!

---
  • From Dispatcher@VERT/TRN to Robert D on Tue Jan 18 10:56:00 2011
    I love using HRD and really didnt want to stop using it because of an interface problem.

73 de W1MED
    Craig

I will definitely have to give this program a try!

Thanks!

Have you tried FLDigi? It's free and works on Win and Linux platforms. Very nice and very capable program for digi-modes.

I used to do PSK31 and have tried other modes as well like Olivia (interesting mode). I built my own interface using a plan I found on the interweb. Very simple box to interface the computer to the radio (Yaesu FT900). I can't remember where I found the plan, but I have it here: http://www.oppcatv.com/kg4cna/psk31/index.html if you want to take a look. I do not use LinPSK anymore and the pics of the shack are old. I'm on QRZ and those pics are more current. Sadly, the FT900 is out of commission for now. Needs repair after the cooling fan quit during a digital session I was involved in one night. Thing got HOT and was damaged before I knew it and could turn it off.

I do love the digi-modes and when the FT900 is fixed, I'll be back on the air. I use 20m and 40m often and check in the Alabama Traffic Net Mike on 80m on weeknights when I think about it (3.965mhz). I look for special event stations during the weekends. I dislike the contests as I'm not interested in them.

If anyone wants a sked one day, just pick a day, time and freq and I'll try to be there!

73 de KG4CNA
    Allen

Amateur radio pet peeve: It's "73", NOT "73's" dammit.

... The number you have dailed...Nine-one-one...has been changed.
    --- MultiMail/Linux v0.49
    þ Synchronet þ Roughneck BBS - telnet://roughneckbbs.com - www.roughneckbbs.com