• ARDF/"Fox Hunting"

From Tim Wray@VERT/BACKWOOD to All on Sat Sep 4 14:56:01 2010
    Any of you guys ever participate in ARDF, or as we call it locally, "Fox Hunting"? We have a group of about 5 guys, one of whom hides with a transmitter (or a remotely controlled transmitter nearby to their location), while the rest of us use Quads and Yagi antennas, any sort of directional antenna, to locate him. Rules are the individual hiding has to be on public access property, and within our county. We all start from the same location, and the person who gets there with the lowest miles travelled (not the first one there timewise) wins and gets to hide the next month.

Pretty neat. Not unlike Geocaching, but it certainly predates it around here (We've been doing it about 15 years.)

73 DE KB9SNL

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    Tim Wray, Sysop
    Backwood Realm BBS
    Bedford, Indiana
    bwrbbs.dyndns.org
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

---
    þ Synchronet þ The Backwood Realm BBS - bwrbbs.dyndns.org - In the heart of Southern Indiana
  • From Dreamer@VERT/SETXBBS to Tim Wray on Sun Sep 5 01:30:41 2010
    Re: ARDF/"Fox Hunting"
    By: Tim Wray to All on Sat Sep 04 2010 09:56 am

Any of you guys ever participate in ARDF, or as we call it locally, "Fox Hunting"? We have a group of about 5 guys, one of whom hides with a transmit (or a remotely controlled transmitter nearby to their location), while the r of us use Quads and Yagi antennas, any sort of directional antenna, to locat him. Rules are the individual hiding has to be on public access property, an within our county. We all start from the same location, and the person who g there with the lowest miles travelled (not the first one there timewise) win and gets to hide the next month.

I've never had amateur radio, but back in the day there were lots of us CBers around town, and we used to "rabbit hunt" once or twice a month. Same rules, except it was first one there. Of course, anyone participating had to have a swing meter with RF gain to have a good chance. Those games were fun!

---
    þ Synchronet þ Spatial Dimension - setxbbs.synchro.net
  • From Tim Wray@VERT/BACKWOOD to Dreamer on Sun Sep 5 12:51:25 2010
    By: Dreamer to Tim Wray on Sat Sep 04 2010 08:30 pm

By: Tim Wray to All on Sat Sep 04 2010 09:56 am

Any of you guys ever participate in ARDF, or as we call it locally, "Fox Hunting"? We have a group of about 5 guys, one of whom hides with a trans (or a remotely controlled transmitter nearby to their location), while th of us use Quads and Yagi antennas, any sort of directional antenna, to lo him. Rules are the individual hiding has to be on public access property, within our county. We all start from the same location, and the person wh there with the lowest miles travelled (not the first one there timewise) and gets to hide the next month.

I've never had amateur radio, but back in the day there were lots of us CBer around town, and we used to "rabbit hunt" once or twice a month. Same rules except it was first one there. Of course, anyone participating had to have swing meter with RF gain to have a good chance. Those games were fun!

That's awesome. I started out in CB, but we never did anything like that. Concept is pretty much identical for sure though.

Went to ham when the sunspot cycle in 1998 caused skip to be so bad on CB that I couldn't talk to my buddies just a few miles away at times. Still don't "hate" cb like some hams do, I'd still mess with them if I had more time... -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    Tim Wray, Sysop
    Backwood Realm BBS
    Bedford, Indiana
    bwrbbs.dyndns.org
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

---
    þ Synchronet þ The Backwood Realm BBS - bwrbbs.dyndns.org - In the heart of Southern Indiana
  • From Dreamer@VERT/SETXBBS to Tim Wray on Sun Sep 5 13:38:18 2010
    By: Tim Wray to Dreamer on Sun Sep 05 2010 07:51 am

That's awesome. I started out in CB, but we never did anything like that. Concept is pretty much identical for sure though.

Went to ham when the sunspot cycle in 1998 caused skip to be so bad on CB th I couldn't talk to my buddies just a few miles away at times. Still don't "hate" cb like some hams do, I'd still mess with them if I had more time...

Yep, just drive around, chit chatting with the other CB'ers and occasionally ask the rabbit for a ten-key (count to ten) and also what they see for clues. When they start pegging out the meter, you dial down the RF gain, and when it's all the way down, you're pretty much on top of them.
    Several years ago, I installed another CB, but never heard any chatter on 14. Just about the only people left in this area were some die hards that talk on skip on a few of the other channels... I never tried chatting with them. It just wasn't fun anymore, I ended up giving it away. I might try setting up a base one day, though. I live about a half mile from I10 now, should get some good trucker traffic, especially since there seems to be an accident every couple of weeks on this part of the highway. :)

---
  • From Tim Wray@VERT/BACKWOOD to Dreamer on Sun Sep 5 22:33:50 2010
    By: Dreamer to Tim Wray on Sun Sep 05 2010 08:38 am

Several years ago, I installed another CB, but never heard any chatter on
    Yep, just drive around, chit chatting with the other CB'ers and occasional ask the rabbit for a ten-key (count to ten) and also what they see for clues When they start pegging out the meter, you dial down the RF gain, and when i all the way down, you're pretty much on top of them.
    Several years ago, I installed another CB, but never heard any chatter on Just about the only people left in this area were some die hards that talk o skip on a few of the other channels... I never tried chatting with them. It just wasn't fun anymore, I ended up giving it away. I might try setting up base one day, though. I live about a half mile from I10 now, should get som good trucker traffic, especially since there seems to be an accident every couple of weeks on this part of the highway. :)

I still have my old Realistic Navaho TRC-492 base...channel 7 was the hangout channel around here....it too is dead every time I do manage to turn the thing on and hook an antenna to it. Too bad. Something fun about radio of any sort. Kinda like BBS'n.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    Tim Wray, Sysop
    Backwood Realm BBS
    Bedford, Indiana
    bwrbbs.dyndns.org
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

---
  • From Dreamer@VERT/SETXBBS to Tim Wray on Mon Sep 6 13:50:22 2010
    By: Tim Wray to Dreamer on Sun Sep 05 2010 05:33 pm

I still have my old Realistic Navaho TRC-492 base...channel 7 was the hangou channel around here....it too is dead every time I do manage to turn the thi on and hook an antenna to it. Too bad. Something fun about radio of any sort Kinda like BBS'n.

I agree. I think it's the personal nature of it. Kinda like a one-on-one thing; on classical BBSes, you're a lot closer to what you're doing, no distractions. I've noticed when chatting on Facebook or Myspace that even when I'm talking to only one or two people, I'm still doing something in the browser. There's no suspense of, ok, what's next. No pleasant surprises. Closest feeling I get to a BBS is maybe Slashdot. But even then, I have a headsup to what's coming next peripherally because of the scrolling layout.

I think CB is like that. Only two people can talk at a time, and you never knew what wacky character was going to break in next. We used to have one guy that almost everyone hated (the rest of us were laughing). He had some kind of linear hooked up, and most were guessing he was on a base. People would be pleasantly chatting, and he'd rudely break in "WORLDWIDE! THIS IS <forget name> BREAKING IN WOOORLDWIIIDE! HEEEEELOOO!" and other silly nonsense. Then he'd key off, several people would hip and hollar about him, joke about cutting his coax, and so on, and he'd key back up. I drove around once or twice trying to triangulate him, probably got within a few blocks once, but I guess he'd notice my antennae cuz he'd always go silent before I could nail him down.
    That was fun.

---
  • From Tim Wray@VERT/BACKWOOD to Dreamer on Tue Sep 7 19:31:48 2010
    By: Dreamer to Tim Wray on Mon Sep 06 2010 08:50 am

By: Tim Wray to Dreamer on Sun Sep 05 2010 05:33 pm

I still have my old Realistic Navaho TRC-492 base...channel 7 was the han channel around here....it too is dead every time I do manage to turn the on and hook an antenna to it. Too bad. Something fun about radio of any s Kinda like BBS'n.

I agree. I think it's the personal nature of it. Kinda like a one-on-one thing; on classical BBSes, you're a lot closer to what you're doing, no distractions. I've noticed when chatting on Facebook or Myspace that even w I'm talking to only one or two people, I'm still doing something in the browser. There's no suspense of, ok, what's next. No pleasant surprises. Closest feeling I get to a BBS is maybe Slashdot. But even then, I have a headsup to what's coming next peripherally because of the scrolling layout.

I think CB is like that. Only two people can talk at a time, and you neve knew what wacky character was going to break in next. We used to have one g that almost everyone hated (the rest of us were laughing). He had some kind linear hooked up, and most were guessing he was on a base. People would be pleasantly chatting, and he'd rudely break in "WORLDWIDE! THIS IS <forget na BREAKING IN WOOORLDWIIIDE! HEEEEELOOO!" and other silly nonsense. Then he'd key off, several people would hip and hollar about him, joke about cutting h coax, and so on, and he'd key back up. I drove around once or twice trying triangulate him, probably got within a few blocks once, but I guess he'd not my antennae cuz he'd always go silent before I could nail him down.
    That was fun.

Yeah, I remember people like that. Running unholy transmitter power and being nuts. The kind of guys who could key the mic and burn down all the houses within a mile. LOL.

I remember some jamacian (sp?) guy who would live on channel 6. He had to be pumping some serious power. He would just shoot skip all day long. He could usually be heard just about any time here in Indiana. It wouldn't suprise me if he could be heard just about anywhere, because he's always there. Back then, and last time I turned on a CB (about a year ago), good Lord, he was STILL THERE. At least it sure sound like the same guy. Or one of his partners in crime perhaps.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    Tim Wray, Sysop
    Backwood Realm BBS
    Bedford, Indiana
    bwrbbs.dyndns.org
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

---
  • From Dreamer@VERT/SETXBBS to Tim Wray on Wed Sep 8 15:41:43 2010
    By: Tim Wray to Dreamer on Tue Sep 07 2010 02:31 pm

I remember some jamacian (sp?) guy who would live on channel 6. He had to pumping some serious power. He would just shoot skip all day long. He could usually be heard just about any time here in Indiana. It wouldn't suprise me he could be heard just about anywhere, because he's always there. Back then, and last time I turned on a CB (about a year ago), good Lord, he was STILL THERE. At least it sure sound like the same guy. Or one of his partners in crime perhaps.

LOL, that's funny. That's the skip channel down here in Southeast TX, too. Maybe all over the US? I remember the first couple months with a CB, occasionally I'd find that channel, and I heard all the chatter. I'd try to break in, but the little rinky-dink Radio Shack I had...I might as well have been in the mud, nevermind the grass. (dunno if that CB talk is the same everywhere -- "in the grass" was talk for buried in the static)

---
  • From Tim Wray@VERT/BACKWOOD to Dreamer on Thu Sep 9 14:55:57 2010
    By: Dreamer to Tim Wray on Wed Sep 08 2010 10:41 am

I don't know, probably the same. I've forgotten too much really, spent most of the ensuing years learning Ham Q-codes and CW.

Good times.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    Tim Wray, Sysop
    Backwood Realm BBS
    Bedford, Indiana
    bwrbbs.dyndns.org
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

---
  • From Tommyknocker@VERT to Tim Wray on Fri Sep 24 01:13:16 2010
    By: Tim Wray to Dreamer on Tue Sep 07 2010 02:31 pm

pumping some serious power. He would just shoot skip all day long. He could

All Day. There you cber's making your ignorance shine. Propagations does not work this way. Almost impossible to have propagation to the same area all day long. Unless you are 25 miles apart.
    Somebody try bying a book and studying HF a little. Might just find it interesting.
    TK

---
    þ Synchronet þ Vertrauen þ Home of Synchronet þ telnet://vert.synchro.net
  • From Tommyknocker@VERT to Dreamer on Fri Sep 24 01:14:42 2010
    By: Dreamer to Tim Wray on Wed Sep 08 2010 10:41 am

LOL, that's funny. That's the skip channel down here in Southeast TX, too.

Yup that is CB. 1 channel for skip and the rest for local.
    Keep Dreaming
    TK

---
    þ Synchronet þ Vertrauen þ Home of Synchronet þ telnet://vert.synchro.net