• CR Radio Emergency Network using BBS

From Gdb@VERT to All on Fri Apr 1 18:59:25 2011
    Hi all....with the current state of affairs....looking at setting up an emergency network.
    Most people cannot afford a ham rig....but there are many CB radio out there. Was thinking local people can connect to a central hub bbs that then has a ham radio than can call another bbs much further away.
    Kinda like the whole modem deal of old.....but replacing the connection between the 2 computers with a cb and/or ham radio.
    Anybody got any suggestions/ideas on this?
    thxs
    dog

---
    þ Synchronet þ Vertrauen þ Home of Synchronet þ telnet://vert.synchro.net
  • From Dreamer@VERT/SETXBBS to Gdb on Sat Apr 2 14:54:14 2011
    Re: CR Radio Emergency Network using BBS
    By: Gdb to All on Fri Apr 01 2011 01:59 pm

Hi all....with the current state of affairs....looking at setting up an emergency network.
    Most people cannot afford a ham rig....but there are many CB radio out there Was thinking local people can connect to a central hub bbs that then has a h radio than can call another bbs much further away.
    Kinda like the whole modem deal of old.....but replacing the connection betw the 2 computers with a cb and/or ham radio.
    thxs
    dog

It'll have to be over amateur radio frequencies... the government only
    licenses citizen's band for voice traffic.

---
    þ Synchronet þ Southeast Texas BBS -- setxbbs.synchro.net
  • From Gdb@VERT to Dreamer on Sat Apr 2 22:52:57 2011
    By: Dreamer to Gdb on Sat Apr 02 2011 09:54 am

By: Gdb to All on Fri Apr 01 2011 01:59 pm

Most people cannot afford a ham rig....but there are many CB radio out th Was thinking local people can connect to a central hub bbs that then has radio than can call another bbs much further away.
    Kinda like the whole modem deal of old.....but replacing the connection b the 2 computers with a cb and/or ham radio.
    thxs
    dog

It'll have to be over amateur radio frequencies... the government only licenses citizen's band for voice traffic.

Ohhhh....thats not good...that puts a damper on things.....sons of bitches....regulating the hell out of everything :)
    Crap!...gonna have to re think this.......guess it will have to be done with ham radios.
    Any idea what freq the tech hams can use?

---
    þ Synchronet þ Vertrauen þ Home of Synchronet þ telnet://vert.synchro.net
  • From Dreamer@VERT/SETXBBS to Gdb on Sun Apr 3 06:24:05 2011
    By: Gdb to Dreamer on Sat Apr 02 2011 05:52 pm

Ohhhh....thats not good...that puts a damper on things.....sons of bitches....regulating the hell out of everything :)
    Crap!...gonna have to re think this.......guess it will have to be done with ham radios.

I'm not a ham at all, but I believe you can find listings of the amateur
    bands on the net...google "amateur radio frequencies", and i'm sure you'll eventually hit upon what they're using for data traffic.

---
  • From John Guillory@VERT/MAINLINE to Gdb on Sun Apr 3 12:17:03 2011

It'll have to be over amateur radio frequencies... the government only licenses citizen's band for voice traffic.
    Crap!...gonna have to re think this.......guess it will have to be done
    with ham radios.
    Even if you could write some kind of software to convert data to speech?
    It wouldn't even have to be real speech, though I suppose someone might
    complain eventually.... Eg. pick some random words to say and when the
    byte equals eg. 1 say "DOG" when the byte equals 2, say "CAR"....
    On the remote end, reading the data would be much like demodulating tones,
    but instead of matching a tone, you'd be matching essientially a wav file.
    In fact, you could record someone's voice saying 256 different words for
    say 5 seconds each, and just play the wav file out on one computer and
    on the other match up the incoming audio to the wav files to determine
    the value of the data.... Just a thought.... It'd be slow as christmas,
    but....

---
    þ Synchronet þ Roach Guts - roachguts.com
  • From W6RAY@VERT/US99 to Gdb on Sun Apr 3 15:43:00 2011
    Gdb wrote to Dreamer <=-

Most people cannot afford a ham rig....but there are many CB radio out th Was thinking local people can connect to a central hub bbs that then has radio than can call another bbs much further away.

There are a lot of good deals on EBay for Hams looking for inexpensive equipment. I
    have heard talk of items for sale on QRZ.COM, or some place similar. Most of these
    items are cheaper than a CB radio.

Kinda like the whole modem deal of old.....but replacing the connection b the 2 computers with a cb and/or ham radio.

There are areas of the country that do this. Michigan has one such network. I cannot
    remember the URL for their web site, but Google is your friend. Of course, those who
    have the resources can always use DSTAR. You can send data on 2m, 70cm, and have a
    higher bandwidth on 23cm. the 23cm DSTAR can also be used for Internet-type traffic,
    which includes email, web browsing, etc.

Most of this is done in the two meter band. Some are at higher frequencies. Our local BBS (currently down due to computer failure and too much snow on the ground
    at the site, 7500 feet) runs JNOS on a Linux operating system. The site covers A LOT
    of territory on two meters and 70 centimeters with a six meter link in the planning
    stages to link to other hill tops here in Central California. Again, for the frequencies, Goodle is a great source of information regarding the band plans. Depending on your area, you might find this already in place, or find someone to
    assist you. A local amateur radio club is a good place to start. Your local area may
    have a slightly different band plan. Where I am located it is NARCC (www.narcc.org) and NCPA (www.n0ary.org/ncpa).

73 de Ray W6RAY
    Visalia, CA DM06ih

... When all else fails - Ham radio WORKS!
    --- MultiMail/Linux v0.49
    þ Synchronet þ US 99 BBS - Visalia, CA - bbs.quinnnet.org
  • From Dreamer@VERT/SETXBBS to John Guillory on Sun Apr 3 19:43:11 2011
    By: John Guillory to Gdb on Sun Apr 03 2011 07:17 am

Even if you could write some kind of software to convert data to speech?
    It wouldn't even have to be real speech, though I suppose someone might
    complain eventually.... Eg. pick some random words to say and when the
    byte equals eg. 1 say "DOG" when the byte equals 2, say "CAR"....
    On the remote end, reading the data would be much like demodulating tones
    but instead of matching a tone, you'd be matching essientially a wav file
    In fact, you could record someone's voice saying 256 different words for
    say 5 seconds each, and just play the wav file out on one computer and
    on the other match up the incoming audio to the wav files to determine
    the value of the data.... Just a thought.... It'd be slow as christmas,
    but....

There's special modems that allow data transmission over radio frequencies. For instance, you may have heard of the KA9Q software. It was used often by amateur radio enthusiasts (having been written by one, hence the name).

---
  • From The Patriot@VERT/EMCOMMNY to Dreamer on Sun Apr 3 20:42:00 2011

I'm not a ham at all, but I believe you can find listings of the amateur bands on the net...google "amateur radio frequencies", and i'm sure you'll eventually hit upon what they're using for data traffic.

---

This is a project I'm working on right now. It's in the infancy stages now, but I'm hoping to integrate a bbs with web/telnet/dialup and packet radio over ham frequencies in the NYC area. Packet radio transfers data over ham radio between computers much like a modem over telephone lines. It is very slow, and typically used for text only as data speeds are 9600baud at best.

The telnet/web side is up now and I just got the Dove-Net packet setup. At the moment the bbs is called EmCommNYC.. for Emergency Communications New York City.

I'm hoping it to be a clearing house of information and message sharing for interested groups and will function even if the internet is shut down by using dial up or packet radio.

More to come! Please send suggestions and check us out!

www.emcommnyc.mooo.com (this may change, but its working now)

---
    þ Synchronet þ EmCommNYC - emcommny.synchro.net
  • From Fargo@VERT/PHARCYDE to The Patriot on Mon Apr 4 11:29:56 2011
    Re: Re: CR Radio Emergency Ne
    By: The Patriot to Dreamer on Sun Apr 03 2011 03:42 pm

ham frequencies in the NYC area. Packet radio transfers data over ham radio between computers much like a modem over telephone lines. It is very slow, and typically used for text only as data speeds are 9600baud at best.

I don't know much (please read: "almost nothing") about hams but your project sounds really interesting!! Would be awesome to work on it, so if you need a unix sysadmin or a network engineer let me know! (I may not have much time on the next two months, but after that my free time should increase and I'll be able to help more).

Keep us updated!
    _ _
    _l.-`~Fargo~,-.l_

---
    þ Synchronet þ thePharcyde_ >> telnet://bbs.pharcyde.org (Wisconsin)
  • From Fargo@VERT/PHARCYDE to The Patriot on Thu Apr 28 20:14:31 2011

The telnet/web side is up now and I just got the Dove-Net packet setup. At the moment the bbs is called EmCommNYC.. for Emergency Communications New Yo City.

Howdy,

any news about the project?
    _ _
    _l.-`~Fargo~,-.l_

---
    þ Synchronet þ thePharcyde_ >> telnet://bbs.pharcyde.org (Wisconsin)
  • From ThePatriot@VERT/EMCOMMNY to Fargo on Mon May 16 01:21:00 2011

The telnet/web side is up now and I just got the Dove-Net packet setup.
    At
    the moment the bbs is called EmCommNYC.. for Emergency Communications New
    Yo
    City.

Howdy,

any news about the project?

No luck with integrating packet into synchronet just yet... I've downloaded and tried literally dozens of programs to test. I haven't been able to get any of the typical packet bbs programs to work on my machine with a sound card TNC so modifying one to work with synchronet has been a challenge. Still prodding away at it as time permits however.

---
    þ Synchronet þ EmCommNYC - emcommny.synchro.net