• So I got my technician license...

From Digital Man@VERT to All on Thu Jul 14 18:02:16 2011
    ... and Deuce too (he got his general for use with a Kenwood TS-520), so you may be able to make QSO with (more) Synchronet developers soon(ish).

I don't have a HAM radio yet, but am looking at the low-end iCOMs (706, 718) and will focus on 10M first. My President Washington base station will do a few frequencies that I can TX in 10M (28.305-435), but since I'm only transmitting with 10w and have a vertical pole antenna (Antron-99), I'm not getting out like I will with a real HAM rig setup: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Md__VVYbrek

digital man

Synchronet "Real Fact" #39:
    Synchronet has been ported to FreeBSD, NetBSD, OpenBSD, Solaris, QNX, and MacOS.

---
    þ Synchronet þ Vertrauen þ Home of Synchronet þ telnet://vert.synchro.net
  • From Silva Dolla@VERT/SILVAD to Digital Man on Thu Jul 14 19:52:36 2011
    Re: So I got my technician license...
    By: Digital Man to All on Thu Jul 14 2011 01:02 pm

frequencies that I can TX in 10M (28.305-435), but since I'm only transmitti with 10w and have a vertical pole antenna (Antron-99), I'm not getting out l I will with a real HAM rig setup: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Md__VVYbrek

Right on! Keep in mind those guys are HUGE POWER!!! Mega stations, running way over 10,000+ watts! You might hear me on the bands shooting DX, I go by "201 Silva D".

You're going to need more than 10 watts to punch through the trash pile, or you'll always be a mud-duck.. Look on fleabay and pick up a foot warmer and you'll be surprised how far you'll get.

Youtube search 'cb keydown' and you'll see what I'm talking about. This guys are not f'n joke! They spend the price of a car buying Dave Made amps... I only run a 1/4 wave steel whip from the top of a mountain above the city, with an old cherokee cm-10, and a 2 pill and I can get clear across the country when the band opens. I usually get down into the southern states like Kentucky and the Carolina's.

I may not be the best at this, but I know a bit...

And to all the other HAMs, I know this is the HAM group, so don't come back with your holier than I responses, I don't wanna hear them... I already know the rules...

Silva D

---
    þ Synchronet þ Silva Dolla's - bbs.silvadolla.net - [7o2] 447-o955
  • From Silva Dolla@VERT/SILVAD to Digital Man on Thu Jul 14 20:08:18 2011
    By: Silva Dolla to Digital Man on Thu Jul 14 2011 02:52 pm

frequencies that I can TX in 10M (28.305-435), but since I'm only transmi with 10w and have a vertical pole antenna (Antron-99), I'm not getting ou I will with a real HAM rig setup: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Md__VVYb

Right on! Keep in mind those guys are HUGE POWER!!! Mega stations, running

Another good youtube search would be 'cb watergates'

-SilvaD

---
    þ Synchronet þ Silva Dolla's - bbs.silvadolla.net - [7o2] 447-o955
  • From Corey@VERT/TSGC to Digital Man on Thu Jul 14 20:33:41 2011
    By: Digital Man to All on Thu Jul 14 2011 01:02 pm

... and Deuce too (he got his general for use with a Kenwood TS-520), so you may be able to make QSO with (more) Synchronet developers soon(ish).

I don't have a HAM radio yet, but am looking at the low-end iCOMs (706, 718) and will focus on 10M first. My President Washington base station will do a frequencies that I can TX in 10M (28.305-435), but since I'm only transmitti with 10w and have a vertical pole antenna (Antron-99), I'm not getting out l I will with a real HAM rig setup: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Md__VVYbrek

digital man

Synchronet has been ported to FreeBSD, NetBSD, OpenBSD, Solaris, QNX, and Ma

I had a ham radio.
    but I left it out of the fridge one night and it went bad.

"Practise safe Lunch, Use a Condiment"

---
    þ Synchronet þ Three Stooges Gentlemens Club - Las Vegas, Nv - tsgc.dyndns.org
  • From The Outlaw@VERT/CBLISS to Digital Man on Sat Jul 16 00:21:00 2011
    Re: So I got my technician li
    By: Digital Man to All on Thu Jul 14 2011 13:02:00

and will focus on 10M first. My President Washington base station will do a with 10w and have a vertical pole antenna (Antron-99), I'm not getting out l frequencies that I can TX in 10M (28.305-435), but since I'm only transmitti

Ok so I pooched the quote but you get the pic..

Hey.. I worked many countries using only about 25 watts PEP on 10M USB and only a Radio Shack 102" whip on the truck. Did a lot bettwe with 300 Watts
    but still. if 10M is open, it's awesome!
    I was using the Clear Channel Ranger AR-3500.

---
    þ Synchronet þ chaotic bliss - chaoticbliss.darktech.org
  • From The Outlaw@VERT/CBLISS to Silva Dolla on Sat Jul 16 00:26:00 2011
    Re: So I got my technician li
    By: Silva Dolla to Digital Man on Thu Jul 14 2011 14:52:00

And to all the other HAMs, I know this is the HAM group, so don't come back with your holier than I responses, I don't wanna hear them... I already know the rules...

Are you kidding? We all have to start somewhere. I started off with a SBE Catalina III, 23-channel CB and modded it to get 22A (Channel 24 in the days of only 23) Then eventually started modding 40CH units to get 100's of channels and later even PhaseMod boards so we could work fauxFM on normal channels. That was all about the time I got into HAM and branched out to the legal(er) rigs and amps.

Can't dismiss CB.. It was a great place to start and still after 40 years, I still have some great friends I met there.

---
    þ Synchronet þ chaotic bliss - chaoticbliss.darktech.org
  • From KF4ESH@VERT to Digital Man on Sun Aug 14 15:16:26 2011
    ... and Deuce too (he got his general for use with a Kenwood TS-520), so
    you may be able to make QSO with (more) Synchronet developers soon(ish).

I don't have a HAM radio yet, but am looking at the low-end iCOMs (706,
    718) and will focus on 10M first. My President Washington base station will do a few frequencies that I can TX in 10M (28.305-435), but since I'm only transmitting with 10w and have a vertical pole antenna (Antron-99), I'm not getting out like I will with a real HAM rig setup: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Md__VVYbrek

digital man

Synchronet has been ported to FreeBSD, NetBSD, OpenBSD, Solaris, QNX, and MacOS.
    Rob...

Don't underestimate the Antron 99 antenna. MANY hams use those for 10m, 12m
    and 15m because they are great for DX. I use a vertical (old school 5/8 wave CB ground plane) with my Kenwood TS-430 HF rig for 10m and punch through pileups pretty easily. Only thing I would recommend is adding the "ground plane kit" to the 99 to give you a better take off angle. Other than that, stick with the 99 for 10m!

Hope to hear you on 10m sometime. I usually keep my rig monitoring 28.400.

Chuck
    KF4ESH
    (Formerly "Head Honcho" of "Home Telecom II BBS", licensed SBBS owner!)

---
  • From Digital Man@VERT to KF4ESH on Mon Aug 15 23:23:06 2011
    Re: Re: So I got my technician license...
    By: KF4ESH to Digital Man on Sun Aug 14 2011 10:16 am

I don't have a HAM radio yet, but am looking at the low-end iCOMs (706, 718) and will focus on 10M first. My President Washington base station will do a few frequencies that I can TX in 10M (28.305-435), but since I'm only transmitting with 10w and have a vertical pole antenna (Antron-99), I'm not getting out like I will with a real HAM rig setup: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Md__VVYbrek

Rob...

Don't underestimate the Antron 99 antenna. MANY hams use those for 10m, 12m and 15m because they are great for DX.

I hear a lot of HAMs use the IMAX-2000 too (with or without ground plane kit). If/when I replace the A99, I'll consider all options, but for now, it is working great.

I use a vertical (old school 5/8
    wave CB ground plane) with my Kenwood TS-430 HF rig for 10m and punch through pileups pretty easily. Only thing I would recommend is adding the "ground plane kit" to the 99 to give you a better take off angle. Other than that, stick with the 99 for 10m!

For the time being, that's the plan. I also bought a Buckmaster DX-OCF (7 band di-pole), but don't really have a rig to take advantage of the additional bands yet (and it's not performing as well as the A99 on 10M).

Hope to hear you on 10m sometime. I usually keep my rig monitoring 28.400.

With my radio, I can 28.395 or 28.405, but not 28.400. :-(

I just purchased an HT (Quansheng 2band) and playing with that for now.

digital man

Synchronet "Real Fact" #63:
    Synchronet PCMS (introduced w/v2.0) is Programmable Command and Menu Structure.

---