• Re: Quarantine Projects

From MIKE POWELL@VERT/CAPCITY2/CAPCITY to POINDEXTER FORTRAN on Tue Apr 7 17:39:00 2020
    I have found that, even though I seem to be busier than when in the office, I am cursing and drinking less. I think that must = lower stress level than in the office.

Maybe I an finding out what those millenials mean by "safe space." :D

Maybe you need a new office? :)

I had one I liked. Back about 9 months ago, they decided to shuffle pretty much everyone in the building around. I am still close to equally spaced
    from others as I was before, but I am one of the lucky ones. I think it is ironic that they crammed a bunch of people together in other areas, and got done just in time for this virus to hit.

Once this is all over, those folks will be back to being packed like
    sardines.

* SLMR 2.1a * A noble spirit embiggens the smallest man. -J.Springfield

---
    . BgNet 1.0.12 . moe's tavern * 1-502-875-8938 * moetiki.ddns.net:27
  • From MIKE POWELL@VERT/CAPCITY2/CAPCITY to VK3JED on Thu Apr 23 21:07:00 2020
    And some businesses in the "prohibited" category are still trading, by ceasing >only those activities that are prohibited. For example, many cafes have >switched to offering take away coffee and food, which is allowed, but have >stopped their sit in dining. Even pubs have taken to offering take away/home >delivery of their meals, which is a new thing, because pubs are very much a sit
    in tradition for dining.

That is how they did restaurants and other shoppes here... if you can carry
    on business by take-away or drive-up, and enforce distancing, you can stay open. You can also do so if you can sell on the Internet.

That said, a lot of smaller shoppes had to close down because they were not Internet ready and could not show there wares easily in the other manners specified. Some folks are wondering why the big box stores (groceries,
    home centers, etc.) are allowed to remain open while the "mom-and-pops" in
    the same category are not. Having been in a large grocery as recently as
    2-3 weeks ago, I can see their point... everyone is supposed to distance
    but a lot of shoppers (and even workers) seen to refuse to do so, so the
    store being larger is not really helping anything.

We don't have that one here. However, the major supermarkets have taken it >upon themselves to offer special trading hours for vulnerable people (those on >a disability or aged pension, etc) and emergency service workers.

Our stores do that, too, but there were still too many people here taking
    their whole families shopping during the other hours. When I was younger,
    that was not a thing but, these days, shopping is a family outing. I can understand it when you are a single parent and no one can watch the kids,
    but it is usually at least two grown-ups and 2+ kids.

walking during my 15 minute workbreaks here at home vs. at the
    office... it is not all flat here. :)

Getting fit, are we? :D

I have lost some weight since not being at the office. I have more food readily available here but also do not do as much "nervous eating" like I
    would at the office.

* SLMR 2.1a * A KGB keyboard has no ESC key.

---
    . BgNet 1.0.12 . moe's tavern * 1-502-875-8938 * moetiki.ddns.net:27
  • From Vk3jed@VERT/FREEWAY to MIKE POWELL on Fri Apr 24 22:53:00 2020
    On 04-23-20 16:07, MIKE POWELL wrote to VK3JED <=-

That is how they did restaurants and other shoppes here... if you can carry on business by take-away or drive-up, and enforce distancing, you can stay open. You can also do so if you can sell on the Internet.

Yep, makes sense.

That said, a lot of smaller shoppes had to close down because they were not Internet ready and could not show there wares easily in the other manners specified. Some folks are wondering why the big box stores (groceries, home centers, etc.) are allowed to remain open while the "mom-and-pops" in the same category are not. Having been in a large grocery as recently as 2-3 weeks ago, I can see their point... everyone
    is supposed to distance but a lot of shoppers (and even workers) seen
    to refuse to do so, so the store being larger is not really helping anything.

Here, shops of all sizes, especially the supermarkets have stuck large Cs or spots on the floor, indicating where people are to stand when in a queue. There's also screens in place and other measures. Most stores also insist or at least have a strong preference for contactless payment.

Our stores do that, too, but there were still too many people here
    taking their whole families shopping during the other hours. When I
    was younger, that was not a thing but, these days, shopping is a family outing. I can understand it when you are a single parent and no one
    can watch the kids, but it is usually at least two grown-ups and 2+
    kids.

Hmm, it was a family thing when I was a kid. It was common to leave school and meet Mum at the supermarket. :)

walking during my 15 minute workbreaks here at home vs. at the office... it is not all flat here. :)

Getting fit, are we? :D

I have lost some weight since not being at the office. I have more
    food readily available here but also do not do as much "nervous eating" like I would at the office.

Good to hear. :)

... He's as sharp as a marble.
    --- MultiMail/Win v0.51
    þ Synchronet þ Freeway BBS, Bendigo Australia. freeway.apana.org.au
  • From Dr. What@VERT/TWODUDES to MIKE POWELL on Sat Apr 25 14:54:00 2020
    MIKE POWELL wrote to VK3JED <=-

I have lost some weight since not being at the office. I have more
    food readily available here but also do not do as much "nervous eating" like I would at the office.

My company has a lunch room filled with free junk food. Needless to say, I am happy that I don't have that temptation when working from home. My home tends to be filled with healthier food that isn't as easy to snack on.

But my Man Cave is right next to the exercise room. So while my software is building, I can step next door and do some light weights.

... Any sufficiently advanced technology looks like magic.
    --- MultiMail/Linux v0.52
    þ Synchronet þ Two Dudes BBS - twodudesbbs.com