• Beekeeping

From Patjd@VERT/KD3NET to All on Fri Dec 9 00:28:55 2016
    Are there any Beekeepers around here? I started my first hive this past spring, things were going very well until I had a late August swarm that I wasn't around for. The new queen was a dud and I had to aquire one from a local seller. As of mid October they only had about 25-30 pounds of honey stored. Last week I put 5 pounds of Fondont on and strapped it down for winter. How often do you think I should add more Fondont? Any other tips to get my girls through their first winter?

---
    þ Synchronet þ KD3net-Rhode Island's only BBS about nothing. http://bbs.kd3.us
  • From Digital Man@VERT to Patjd on Sat Dec 10 07:14:35 2016
    Re: Beekeeping
    By: Patjd to All on Thu Dec 08 2016 04:28 pm

Are there any Beekeepers around here? I started my first hive this past spring, things were going very well until I had a late August swarm that I wasn't around for. The new queen was a dud and I had to aquire one from a local seller. As of mid October they only had about 25-30 pounds of honey stored. Last week I put 5 pounds of Fondont on and strapped it down for winter. How often do you think I should add more Fondont? Any other tips to get my girls through their first winter?

Sounds like a cool hobby, but obscure. I'd be very suprised if there were another beekeper on DOVE-Net, but heck, worth a try. Good luck with your buzzing, stinging, hoard! :-)

digital man

Synchronet/BBS Terminology Definition #32:
    KD = King Drafus (Allen Christiansen)
    Norco, CA WX: 53.0øF, 87.0% humidity, 0 mph S wind, 0.00 inches rain/24hrs

---
    þ Synchronet þ Vertrauen þ Home of Synchronet þ [vert/cvs/bbs].synchro.net
  • From kk4qbn@VERT/KK4QBN to Digital Man on Sat Dec 10 19:27:50 2016
    By: Digital Man to Patjd on Fri Dec 09 2016 11:14 pm

Are there any Beekeepers around here? I started my first hive this
    past spring, things were going very well until I had a late August
    swarm that I wasn't around for. The new queen was a dud and I had to
    aquire one from a local seller. As of mid October they only had about
    25-30 pounds of honey stored. Last week I put 5 pounds of Fondont on
    and strapped it down for winter. How often do you think I should add
    more Fondont? Any other tips to get my girls through their first
    winter?

Sounds like a cool hobby, but obscure. I'd be very suprised if there were another beekeper on DOVE-Net, but heck, worth a try. Good luck with your buzzing, stinging, hoard! :-)

LOL, with how honeybees are almost to the point of extinction right now, that's something I'd love to get into. I've heard they have bred bees that feed on Marijuana only. think about the medicinal value of that honey :)

--

Tim Smith (KK4QBN)
    KK4QBN BBS

---
    þ Synchronet þ KK4QBN BBS - (706)422-9538 - kk4qbn.synchro.net, Chatsworth GA US
  • From Mro@VERT/BBSESINF to Digital Man on Sat Dec 10 20:29:38 2016

Are there any Beekeepers around here? I started my first hive this past spring, things were going very well until I had a late August swarm that I wasn't around for. The new queen was a dud and I had to aquire one
    from a local seller. As of mid October they only had about 25-30 pounds of honey stored. Last week I put 5 pounds of Fondont on and strapped it down for winter. How often do you think I should add more Fondont? Any other tips to get my girls through their first winter?

beekeeping is pretty popular in my area of the usa. we've been wanting to get some bees but it's a very involved hobby and you have many lives under your charge.

that colony collapse shit is basically from people doing with bees what they shouldnt be. transporting them all over states, all the time for pollination of crops. it's good money but they are using them in a way that mother nature doesnt like.
    ---
    þ Synchronet þ ::: BBSES.info - free BBS services :::
  • From Patjd@VERT/KD3NET to kk4qbn on Tue Dec 13 17:02:36 2016
    LOL, with how honeybees are almost to the point of extinction right now, that's something I'd love to get into. I've heard they have bred bees that feed on Marijuana only. think about the medicinal value of that honey :)

--

Yeah, that isn't true. I'd hear about it -- but after digging into the story
    it was discovered that the guy was simply spraying his marijuana plants every morning with sugar water. The bees were collecting that to make honey.
    Despite whats gone around the web it wasn't THC Honey.

---
  • From Patjd@VERT/KD3NET to Digital Man on Tue Dec 13 17:03:18 2016

Are there any Beekeepers around here? I started my first hive this
    past
    spring, things were going very well until I had a late August swarm
    that
    I wasn't around for. The new queen was a dud and I had to aquire one
    from
    a local seller. As of mid October they only had about 25-30 pounds of honey stored. Last week I put 5 pounds of Fondont on and strapped it
    down
    for winter. How often do you think I should add more Fondont? Any
    other
    tips to get my girls through their first winter?

Sounds like a cool hobby, but obscure. I'd be very suprised if there
    were
    another beekeper on DOVE-Net, but heck, worth a try. Good luck with your buzzing, stinging, hoard! :-)

digital man

Synchronet/BBS Terminology Definition #32:
    KD = King Drafus (Allen Christiansen)
    Norco, CA WX: 53.0øF, 87.0% humidity, 0 mph S wind, 0.00 inches
    rain/24hrs

---
    þ Synchronet þ Vertrauen þ Home of Synchronet þ
    telnet://vert.synchro.net

Thanks! I forgot to turn on subscription to this topic so I missed all
    these replies!
    D'oh!

---
  • From Patjd@VERT/KD3NET to Mro on Tue Dec 13 17:04:00 2016

Are there any Beekeepers around here? I started my first hive this past spring, things were going very well until I had a late August swarm that I wasn't around for. The new queen was a dud and I had
    to
    aquire one
    from a local seller. As of mid October they only had about 25-30 pounds of honey stored. Last week I put 5 pounds of Fondont on and strapped it down for winter. How often do you think I should add
    more
    Fondont? Any other tips to get my girls through their first
    winter?

Sounds like a cool hobby, but obscure. I'd be very suprised if there
    were
    another beekeper on DOVE-Net, but heck, worth a try. Good luck with
    your
    buzzing, stinging, hoard! :-)

beekeeping is pretty popular in my area of the usa. we've been wanting
    to
    get some bees but it's a very involved hobby and you have many lives
    under
    your charge.

that colony collapse shit is basically from people doing with bees what
    they
    shouldnt be. transporting them all over states, all the time for pollination of crops. it's good money but they are using them in a way
    that
    mother nature doesnt like.
    ---

I've hooked up with a local Beekeepers association, gotten some great
    advice from people. I was very surprised to learn how many beekeepers there were within just a few miles of my house.

---
  • From Mro@VERT/BBSESINF to Patjd on Wed Dec 14 09:37:34 2016
    Re: Re: Beekeeping
    By: Patjd to Mro on Tue Dec 13 2016 09:04 am

I've hooked up with a local Beekeepers association, gotten some great advice from people. I was very surprised to learn how many beekeepers there were within just a few miles of my house.

we have a farmer's market that is real popular here and there's 2 beekeepers. you can talk to them and buy their honey. it's good stuff and it's good for you too.
    ---