• Keyboard Adapter

From Rob Mccart@VERT/CAPCITY2 to ALL on Tue Sep 22 07:25:00 2020
    Just wondering if anyone has any experience with this and can answer a question. I'm using an old PS2 keyboard adapted to USB using one of those Y connectors that support a mouse and keyboard to one USB Port. For the most
    part it works fine but for intense usage like games, there is a delay or it won't pass on repeats of a key (even an arrow key) held down, which can be a real 'killer' in games.

I'm wondering if this dual cable is the problem due to added circuitry and a dedicated single adapter would work better or if I can expect the same thing.

I know the keyboard works fine using PS2 on another computer and a USB
    keyboard works fine on the same port so I'm trying to decide if I should try
    to find a single adapter or try rewiring the keyboard directly to USB..

Obviously I prefer this old keyboard which started out life as a full sized
    DIN connector which I later rewired to a PS2 cable but I'd prefer to not
    modify it to USB, limiting its usage, especially if that's not going to help. ---
    þ SLMR Rob þ Dating is like going on an endless Job interview
    þ Synchronet þ CAPCITY2 * capcity2.synchro.net * Telnet/SSH:2022/Rlogin/HTTP
  • From Underminer@VERT/UNDRMINE to Rob Mccart on Tue Sep 22 22:08:00 2020
    Re: Keyboard Adapter
    By: Rob Mccart to ALL on Tue Sep 22 2020 12:25 am

I know the keyboard works fine using PS2 on another computer and a USB keyboard works fine on the same port so I'm trying to decide if I should try to find a single adapter or try rewiring the keyboard directly to USB..

The adapter is definitely adding delay, and any adapter will add some. A better adapter may add less, but the single/dual aspect of it likely doesn't factor in. Rewiring the keyboard would likely require swapping out the keyboard controller which introduces a whole host of variables. Either try a different adapter, get a usb keyboard, or get a motherboard that supports ps2.
    ---
    Underminer - The Undermine BBS
    þ Synchronet þ The Undermine - bbs.undermine.ca:423
  • From Dumas Walker@VERT/CAPCITY2 to ROB MCCART on Tue Sep 22 20:35:00 2020
    I'm wondering if this dual cable is the problem due to added circuitry and a dedicated single adapter would work better or if I can expect the same thing.

I have a couple of those Y cables in use here. I have not noticed any
    delays, but I also don't do much gaming at all beyond video solitaire. :)
    I will be interested to see what kind of answers you get from more intense system users.

* SLMR 2.1a * I type softly and carry a *BIG* electromagnet

---
  • From Moondog@VERT/CAVEBBS to Rob Mccart on Wed Sep 23 03:52:00 2020

Just wondering if anyone has any experience with this and can answer a question. I'm using an old PS2 keyboard adapted to USB using one of those Y connectors that support a mouse and keyboard to one USB Port. For the most part it works fine but for intense usage like games, there is a delay or it won't pass on repeats of a key (even an arrow key) held down, which can be a real 'killer' in games.

I'm wondering if this dual cable is the problem due to added circuitry and a dedicated single adapter would work better or if I can expect the same thing

I know the keyboard works fine using PS2 on another computer and a USB keyboard works fine on the same port so I'm trying to decide if I should try to find a single adapter or try rewiring the keyboard directly to USB..

Obviously I prefer this old keyboard which started out life as a full sized DIN connector which I later rewired to a PS2 cable but I'd prefer to not modify it to USB, limiting its usage, especially if that's not going to help

It may be a latency issue or the converter could be overloaded at times. In music, analog audio to usb devices prices are relative to to how well they handle and convert signals.

---
    þ Synchronet þ The Cave BBS - Since 1992 - cavebbs.homeip.net
  • From Rob Mccart@VERT/CAPCITY2 to UNDERMINER on Thu Sep 24 07:22:00 2020
    I know the keyboard works fine using PS2 on another computer and a USB keyboard works fine on the same port so I'm trying to decide if I should try to find a single adapter or try rewiring the keyboard directly to
    USB..

The adapter is definitely adding delay, and any adapter will add some. A bett
    >adapter may add less, but the single/dual aspect of it likely doesn't factor
    > Rewiring the keyboard would likely require swapping out the keyboard control
    > which introduces a whole host of variables. Either try a different adapter,
    > a usb keyboard, or get a motherboard that supports ps2.

The current PS2 connector was a cable I wired in to replace a full sized DIN connector cable. Unless newer keyboards are just faster I don't see why a USB keyboard doesn't have the problem (yes I have several) but this keyboard does.

But if the problem is not the adaptor itself then my idea of rewiring it to
    USB likely won't help, which SHOULD work by just doing a pin out on the PS2 to USB adapter and getting a new cable and soldering it to the right spots inside the keyboard like I did for the original DIN replacement.

I just don't want to replace this keyboard I've used for 29 years and the Win Keys always get in the way during game playing..
    ---
    þ SLMR Rob þ The two most common elements - Hydrogen and Stupidity
  • From MRO@VERT/BBSESINF to Rob Mccart on Fri Sep 25 01:20:11 2020
    By: Rob Mccart to UNDERMINER on Thu Sep 24 2020 12:22 am

to USB likely won't help, which SHOULD work by just doing a pin out on the PS2 to USB adapter and getting a new cable and soldering it to the right spots inside the keyboard like I did for the original DIN replacement.

I just don't want to replace this keyboard I've used for 29 years and the Win Keys always get in the way during game playing..

hey. replace the fucking keyboard.
    you're being too picky. there's better keyboards out there.
    windows keys dont get in the way.

replace it.
    ---
    þ Synchronet þ ::: BBSES.info - free BBS services :::
  • From Underminer@VERT/UNDRMINE to Rob Mccart on Fri Sep 25 04:15:29 2020
    By: Rob Mccart to UNDERMINER on Thu Sep 24 2020 12:22 am

The current PS2 connector was a cable I wired in to replace a full sized DIN connector cable. Unless newer keyboards are just faster I don't see why a USB keyboard doesn't have the problem (yes I have several) but this keyboard does.

Because you're actually converting the signals. Changing the pinout on something does not convert protocol.
    ---
    Underminer - The Undermine BBS
    þ Synchronet þ The Undermine - bbs.undermine.ca:423
  • From Android8675@VERT/SHODAN to Rob Mccart on Tue Sep 29 18:05:39 2020

Just wondering if anyone has any experience with this and can answer a question. I'm using an old PS2 keyboard adapted to USB
    using one of those Y connectors that support a mouse and keyboard to one USB Port. For the most
    part it works fine but for intense usage like games, there is a delay or it won't pass on repeats of a key (even an arrow key)
    held down, which can be a real 'killer' in games.

No model of the adapter or keyboard, so taking a shot in the dark. It's the kb+adapter. There's not much you can do about it other than get a PC with a PS2 keyboard port (they still make them). mobo's with ps2 ports are typically geared towards gaming and the PS2 port is sampled at a really high rate so you should get great results.

As for your fear of the Win Key, most modern keyboards let you lock/unlock the win key now. You should get on drop.com/mechanical-keyboards and get yourself a real deck.

--
    Android8675@ShodansCore

---
    þ Synchronet þ Shodan's Core @ ShodansCore.com