• What do you get out of running a BBS?

From Nightfox@VERT/DIGDIST to All on Tue Apr 6 19:45:30 2021
    For the BBS sysops out there, what motivates you to keep running a BBS?

I've always enjoyed it as a way to provide a service people like using. I like customizing my BBS and setting things up on it that people want to use. I have also created some BBS add-ons and little software tools that I've shared, which I enjoy. I also like the networked message groups that are available.

At the same time, sometimes I get into a mood where I feel like there are other things that are more important to me, and my attention to my BBS drops a bit. I'm going through some things right now and I feel like my motivation to work on BBS stuff right now isn't what it once was, but I still like keeping my BBS running.

Also, running a BBS is a fairly obscure hobby. It seems there aren't many people these days who know what an old-school BBS is, and they might not totally understand it if you try to explain it to them.

Nightfox

---
    þ Synchronet þ Digital Distortion: digitaldistortionbbs.com
  • From Daryl Stout@VERT/TBOLT to Nightfox on Wed Apr 7 04:05:00 2021

I'm nucking futs (just kidding) <BG>.

Seriously, I agree with all your points. It's a diversion...the message
    areas are enjoyable, and the doorgames keep my mind sharp. Plus, I can
    promote it through my other hobbies.

Daryl

... Status quo. Latin for the mess we're in. -Jeve Moorman
    --- MultiMail/Win v0.52
    þ Synchronet þ The Thunderbolt BBS - tbolt.synchro.net
  • From Gamgee@VERT/PALANT to Nightfox on Wed Apr 7 04:46:00 2021
    Nightfox wrote to All <=-

For the BBS sysops out there, what motivates you to keep running
    a BBS?

It's a sysop-only message base, so... ;-)

I've always enjoyed it as a way to provide a service people like
    using. I like customizing my BBS and setting things up on it
    that people want to use. I have also created some BBS add-ons
    and little software tools that I've shared, which I enjoy. I
    also like the networked message groups that are available.

I have a few regular every-day callers that seem to like how mine is set
    up. They do messaging (echomail) and play some door games. I haven't
    created any add-ons myself. I do it because I enjoy tweaking things the
    way I like, and do a lot of echomail messaging. Also play a couple of
    door games every day. I guess I mostly do it because it's challenging
    to keep things updated and working properly, and occasionally add new features/content.

At the same time, sometimes I get into a mood where I feel like
    there are other things that are more important to me, and my
    attention to my BBS drops a bit. I'm going through some things
    right now and I feel like my motivation to work on BBS stuff
    right now isn't what it once was, but I still like keeping my BBS
    running.

Agreed. I go through periods where I just "use" the BBS and don't have
    as much motivation to upgrade/improve it. Seems to run in cycles.

Also, running a BBS is a fairly obscure hobby. It seems there
    aren't many people these days who know what an old-school BBS is,
    and they might not totally understand it if you try to explain it
    to them.

Absolutely. I've tried to show some people how it looks and works, and
    mostly they go..."meh". I think if a person didn't do this stuff back
    when it was more popular, like in the 90's or so, they don't know about
    it, and generally don't care much. It's not as "exciting" to them as
    the graphical web/internet and I've had folks tell me it's too
    old-fashioned. Seems it's either they love it or don't care at all, not
    much middle ground.

I enjoy it enough to keep doing it, if only for myself. :-)

... Bug free, cheap, on time, works. Pick two.
    --- MultiMail/Linux v0.52
    þ Synchronet þ Palantir BBS * palantirbbs.ddns.net * Pensacola, FL
  • From Nelgin@VERT/EOTLBBS to Nightfox on Wed Apr 7 10:53:08 2021
    Ulcers

Nightfox wrote:

To bne honest...nothing really. I could drop it tomorrow and it wouldn't
    bother me. Probably give me more free time to do other stuff that I'd rather
    be doing :)

I've always enjoyed it as a way to provide a service people like using. I like customizing my BBS and setting things up on it that people want to use. I have also created some BBS add-ons and little software tools that I've shared, which I enjoy. I also like the networked message groups that are available.

I suck at graphics. That's the main reason it took me to years to do my own menus. I do like providing all the messages areas to people. Shame nobody actually posts in them. I do appreciate your add-ins. They really enhance my BBS.

At the same time, sometimes I get into a mood where I feel like there are other things that are more important to me, and my attention to my BBS drops a bit. I'm going through some things right now and I feel like my motivation to work on BBS stuff right now isn't what it once was, but I still like keeping my BBS running.

You can't always be a sysop. Let it run itself for a while. Trust me, live
    will go on if it chokes on its own code for a few days or a week.

Also, running a BBS is a fairly obscure hobby. It seems there aren't many people these days who know what an old-school BBS is, and they might not totally understand it if you try to explain it to them.

These days people want pointy and clicky with lots of pretty graphics and instant feedback and gratification. Who has time to wait 3 days for an answer to netmail.

---
    þ Synchronet þ End Of The Line BBS - endofthelinebbs.com
  • From Codefenix@VERT/CONCHAOS to Nightfox on Wed Apr 7 14:09:25 2021
    Re: What do you get out of running a BBS?
    By: Nightfox to All on Tue Apr 06 2021 12:45 pm

My main reason for getting mine started was so my buddy and I could play Usurper and LORD again. Once I got those running, I kept finding more interesting games to add, and gradually customizing more little things here and there.

While he and I no longer play these games as much as when I first got them up set up, I still keep the board running for the few regulars who do call every day to play the games they like, and for the occasional new user who drops in, checks the board out, and leaves a very polite 'thank you' email for keeping it running.
    `-=[ finding a cure for mundanity - conchaos.synchro.net ]=-

---
    þ Synchronet þ -={ conchaos.synchro.net | ConstructiveChaos BBS }=-
  • From Daryl Stout@VERT/TBOLT to Gamgee on Wed Apr 7 16:38:00 2021
    I enjoy it enough to keep doing it, if only for myself. :-)

I feel the same way.

Daryl

... I hate Indian Givers. No, wait...I take that back!!
    --- MultiMail/Win v0.52
  • From Nightfox@VERT/DIGDIST to Daryl Stout on Wed Apr 7 15:28:38 2021
    Re: What do you get out of ru
    By: Daryl Stout to Nightfox on Tue Apr 06 2021 09:05 pm

Seriously, I agree with all your points. It's a diversion...the message areas are enjoyable, and the doorgames keep my mind sharp. Plus, I can promote it through my other hobbies.

There have been times when I've been really into it (maybe as I'm an introvert), but other times when I'm not so into it and it doesn't seem very important to me for a little while.

Nightfox

---
  • From Nightfox@VERT/DIGDIST to Nelgin on Wed Apr 7 15:31:09 2021
    Re: Re: What do you get out of running a BBS?
    By: Nelgin to Nightfox on Wed Apr 07 2021 03:53 am

nobody actually posts in them. I do appreciate your add-ins. They really enhance my BBS.

Thanks - I'm glad you find them useful.

Nightfox

---
  • From Dream Master@VERT/CIAD to Nightfox on Wed Apr 7 23:42:31 2021

In all honesty, I keep running it because I enjoy the community aspect of it, the games, message areas, and just the general hobby of it.

When I was younger and not busy, spending the time to customize the BBS was fun, enjoyable, and gave me the ability to experiment and learn. Now, trying to find the time to customize it to where I want, it seems to take forever. I can't seem to find "what works" versus "what is necessary". The default Synchronet "out of the box" experience is pretty good but I'd love to take it to the next level (plus, this whole recovery from surgery has been hell and my ability to stay focused has been minimal).

To my previous paragraph, right now I focus on playing games and reading / writing messages. When my motivation returns and the ability to actually focus, I might take the time to evolve it.

I think that's what makes it fun. The obscure nature of BBSing today means we have a different quality of user. It's no longer everyone with a modem but now a select group of people who want to communicate, openly, without the censorship and annoyances of current social media.

Brian Klauss <-> Dream Master
    Caught in a Dream | caughtinadream.com a Synchronet BBS

---
    þ Synchronet þ Caught in a Dream - caughtinadream.com
  • From Nightfox@VERT/DIGDIST to Dream Master on Thu Apr 8 02:28:08 2021
    By: Dream Master to Nightfox on Wed Apr 07 2021 04:42 pm

Also, running a BBS is a fairly obscure hobby. It seems there aren't
    many people these days who know what an old-school BBS is, and they
    might not totally understand it if you try to explain it to them.

I think that's what makes it fun. The obscure nature of BBSing today means we have a different quality of user. It's no longer everyone with a modem but now a select group of people who want to communicate, openly, without the censorship and annoyances of current social media.

Sometimes I think it can be difficult to explain to a significant other. Some people could also be a bit distrusting and wonder who you're talking to online.

Nightfox

---
  • From DaiTengu@VERT/ENSEMBLE to Nightfox on Thu Apr 8 03:37:18 2021

It's the same for me. I enjoy poking my head in from time to time to see what's going on, but I've discovered a lot of other hobbies over the last couple years that grab my attention (Ham Radio is a big one), so I'll go weeks without checking my board, sometimes.

I get a lot of messages from users thanking me for having the BBS up, and that really just makes it worth it.

Yep, I think this is my first check-in on my BBS in 10 days. I had some spare time while waiting for a maintenance event to start at work, and the HF bands suck right now, so BBS it is! Also, the video game I was playing got boring. :)

That doesn't stop me from trying, though! I enjoy the wierd looks on peoples faces when I do! :)

DaiTengu

... Behind every successful man is an astonished mother-in-law.

---
    þ Synchronet þ War Ensemble BBS - The sport is war, total war - warensemble.com
  • From Dream Master@VERT/CIAD to Nightfox on Thu Apr 8 06:21:19 2021
    By: Nightfox to Dream Master on Wed Apr 07 2021 07:28 pm

Sometimes I think it can be difficult to explain to a significant other. Some people could also be a bit distrusting and wonder who you're talking to online.

This is where it makes it easy for me... my wife and I met on a BBS I worked for back in 1994. I explained what I was doing, she was 100% cool with it.

Brian Klauss <-> Dream Master
    Caught in a Dream | caughtinadream.com a Synchronet BBS

---
    þ Synchronet þ Caught in a Dream - caughtinadream.com
  • From Nightfox@VERT/DIGDIST to Dream Master on Thu Apr 8 15:20:24 2021
    By: Dream Master to Nightfox on Wed Apr 07 2021 11:21 pm

Sometimes I think it can be difficult to explain to a significant
    other. Some people could also be a bit distrusting and wonder who
    you're talking to online.

This is where it makes it easy for me... my wife and I met on a BBS I worked for back in 1994. I explained what I was doing, she was 100% cool with it.

That's cool. Seems like a fairly rare case. :)

Nightfox

---
  • From DesotoFireflite@VERT/VALHALLA to Nightfox on Thu Apr 8 23:17:10 2021

Well, for me, it's the thrill of keeping the old school programs alive, and having people login to play the games, and see what networking was in the old days. Back in the 80's and 90's, we didn't have facebook, twitter, and the other 100 or so networks. What we had was FidoNet, and dozens of other small networks that kept people in touch with each other.

As a sysop in the 90's, I got to know my users, and was interactive with them, playing games, internode chats, messageing each other. It was a constant struggle, to stay ahead with the newest software, but it's what we did, and we had fun doing it.

This hobby still excites me, and I try my best to keep 3 BBS's running, and operating well, and fun for the users. I run one New School system, Synchronet, and two Old School systems, GAP and RemoteAccess. I also introduced last year, Odin's Maze, A game server with over 200 registered games for people to play online. I feeling for the game server was to get more BBS's involved in playing the games, so the users had some compition, and bake the old games more enjoyable.

I guess to sum it up, I have always had some form of a bbs up and running since 1991, and I just can't let that part of me go. The hobby does not have the closeness it once had where sysops got togeather and swapped stories with each other, but it's still has it rewards. As long as I can make one person happy, I will continue to run a BBS.

SysOp: C.G. Learn, AKA: DesotoFireflite
    Valhalla Home Services! - (Synchronet) - bbs.valhallabbs.com
    Valhalla II! - (GAP) - bbs.valhallabbs.com:24
    Valhalla III! - (RemoteAccess) - bbs.valhallabbs.com:5023
    Valhalla Home Services Web! - http://bbs.valhallabbs.com
    A Gamers Paradise - Over 150 Registered Online Game Doors!

Home Of Odin's Maze Game Server!
    Come Play Trade Wars On Valhalla's T.W.G.S!

--- Don't You Know, Can't You See, Don't You Understand!
    þ Synchronet þ Valhalla Home Services þ USA þ http://valhalla.synchro.net
  • From HusTler@VERT/HAVENS to Nightfox on Thu Apr 8 21:06:49 2021
    By: Nightfox to Dream Master on Thu Apr 08 2021 08:20 am

This is where it makes it easy for me... my wife and I met on a BBS
    I worked for back in 1994. I explained what I was doing, she was
    100% cool with it.

That's cool. Seems like a fairly rare case. :)

It is rare. I've posted this before. BBSing was a big part of my divorce. On the plus side it helped my keep my sanity during hard times. I love this BBS shit and will be using them till I kick the bucket. :-)

... The older you get, the more important is is not to act your age.

---
    þ Synchronet þ Havens BBS havens.synchro.net
  • From Daryl Stout@VERT/TBOLT to DesotoFireflite on Fri Apr 9 02:46:00 2021
    As a sysop in the 90's, I got to know my users, and was interactive
    with them, playing games, internode chats, messageing each other. It
    was a constant struggle, to stay ahead with the newest software, but
    it's what we did, and we had fun doing it.

I liked the face to face meetings...where you got to put a face to
    other local users. It was on a BBS from the local college where I met
    the woman who become my Co-Sysop, and eventually my wife (we were literally "Married With Modem"). It's coming up on 14 years since her death, and I'm keeping the BBS going in her memory.

Daryl

... Calculus And Alcohol Don't Mix -- Please Don't Drink And Derive.
    --- MultiMail/Win v0.52
  • From Underminer@VERT/UNDRMINE to Nightfox on Fri Apr 9 14:56:32 2021

It's a way for me to keep connected with and reminded of how older
    software and networking approaches handled things. That can be both a
    real eye opener and helper when trying to figure things out on modern
    projects rather than just assuming the latest libraries/protocols are inherently the best approach. Have you seen how bloated and slow even
    basic web pages and programs are becoming?

---
    ­ Synchronet ­ The Undermine - bbs.undermine.ca:423
  • From Mortifis@VERT/EPHRAM to Nightfox on Fri Apr 9 19:13:23 2021

Nightfox

Personally, I have mixed feelings about running a BBS; some days I am motivated to customize menus and JS mods for the board; other days I could care less if it all blew up and disappeared :-)

I still get a small sense of satisfaction when I have a new user Validate their account with emailval and actually use the BBS, even just once, and I feel more of a sense of satisfaction when users make return visits, but that is secondary, as I run the BBS for me. I've had some form of BBS running since 1995, especially Synchronet BBS since 2001. From 2001 - 2019 the main purpose of my BBS was as an SMTP/POP3 server for my business. Now I run it mainly for the heat the PCs put out to keep my toes warm while I edit the wiki with misinformation on cold winter days :-P

---
    þ Synchronet þ Realm of Dispair telnet alleycat.synchro.net:2323 ssh:2222 web 82
  • From Nightfox@VERT/DIGDIST to DesotoFireflite on Fri Apr 9 15:20:53 2021
    By: DesotoFireflite to Nightfox on Thu Apr 08 2021 04:17 pm

and operating well, and fun for the users. I run one New School system, Synchronet, and two Old School systems, GAP and RemoteAccess. I also

RemoteAccess is what I ran in the 90s. I liked it. I have good memories from those days.

Nightfox

---
  • From Nightfox@VERT/DIGDIST to Underminer on Fri Apr 9 15:22:17 2021
    Re: Re: What do you get out of running a BBS?
    By: Underminer to Nightfox on Fri Apr 09 2021 07:56 am

inherently the best approach. Have you seen how bloated and slow even basic web pages and programs are becoming?

Web sites & browsers have seemed a bit bloated for a while now.

Nightfox

---
  • From Daryl Stout@VERT/TBOLT to DesotoFireflite on Sat Apr 10 02:34:00 2021
    C.G.,

I to liked the face to face interactions. Once a year, I used to have a bbs kegger at the house, and a lot of the users came. I love putting a face to a name. It's so anonomus now, hell, users don't want to give a real name, yet alone a phone numer and address. Those days are long
    gone

Putting faces to names also helps promote accountability for one's messages.

literally "Married With Modem"). It's coming up on 14 years since her death, and I'm keeping the BBS going in her memory.

That's a very good reason to keep the bbs going :)

She and I competed in several doorgames. While she was a great winner, she sure was a sore loser. <G>

--- Old farts never die! They just smell that way...

If you can smell the fart, you're not social distancing enough. <G>

Daryl

... I have disposable income. I dispose of it awfully fast.
    --- MultiMail/Win v0.52
  • From Nightfox@VERT/DIGDIST to DesotoFireflite on Sat Apr 10 04:40:12 2021
    By: DesotoFireflite to Nightfox on Fri Apr 09 2021 03:56 pm

RemoteAccess is what I ran in the 90s. I liked it. I have good
    memories from those days.

It still holds it's own even after all these years.

I imagine.
    When I decided to set up a BBS again in 2007, initially I had started with EleBBS, which is a modern clone of RemoteAccess (EleBBS runs on 32-bit Windows; I don't remember if EleBBS supports other platforms). I saw an issue where EleBBS wasn't exiting out to run events - I thought that might have been a bug, so I looked elsewhere and found Synchronet.

Events may work differently in EleBBS than I expected. Using EleBBS would have been really retro for me since it looked like RemoteAccess, which I used to use.

Nightfox

---
  • From Vk3jed@VERT/FREEWAY to Nightfox on Sun Apr 11 03:40:00 2021
    On 04-09-21 08:20, Nightfox wrote to DesotoFireflite <=-

RemoteAccess is what I ran in the 90s. I liked it. I have good
    memories from those days.

I liked RA too, that's whyat I ran in the 90s as well.

... The light at the end of the wormhole is an incoming photon torpedo.
    --- MultiMail/Win v0.52
    þ Synchronet þ Freeway BBS, Bendigo Australia. freeway.apana.org.au
  • From DesotoFireflite@VERT/VALHALLA to Daryl Stout on Sat Apr 10 21:44:57 2021
    By: Daryl Stout to DesotoFireflite on Fri Apr 09 2021 07:34 pm

That's a very good reason to keep the bbs going :)

She and I competed in several doorgames. While she was a great winner, she sure was a sore loser. <G>

I think we all tend to be sore losers. I wish I would have known baoth of you back then, it would have been worth a trip out that way to talk and relax

--- Old farts never die! They just smell that way...

After chile, there is no such thing as social distancing with me.. hehehe

--- FART(n): An audio test of one's waste-disposal system.
  • From DesotoFireflite@VERT/VALHALLA to Nightfox on Sat Apr 10 21:57:39 2021
    By: Nightfox to DesotoFireflite on Fri Apr 09 2021 09:40 pm

I imagine.
    When I decided to set up a BBS again in 2007, initially I had started with EleBBS, which is a modern clone of RemoteAccess (EleBBS runs on 32-bit Windows; I don't remember if EleBBS supports other platforms). I saw an issue where EleBBS wasn't exiting out to run events - I thought that might have been a bug, so I looked elsewhere and found Synchronet.

Events may work differently in EleBBS than I expected. Using EleBBS would have been really retro for me since it looked like RemoteAccess, which I used to use.

I really wish he would have continued with his elebbs project as it was going in the right direction. I always had trouble with the event processor also, but I just let a outside event processer handle it. Ultamatly, I returned to RA, as it was more stable.

I really miss GAP, as I was a beta tester, and it was nice getting the new copies while everyone else was using the old ones :) I'm still running a support board since Kenny Died trying to keep it alive.

SBBS is my main system, and I'm very happy with it, but the old me prefers my GAP and RA, as thats what I cut my teeth with in the old days. I'm just glad people like Mike made the program Netfoss and net2bbs, so they can still be enjoyed still today.

it's nice seeing the old stories here of what keeps this hobby alive.

--- Constipation is the thief of time. Diarrhoea waits for no man.
  • From Daryl Stout@VERT/TBOLT to DesotoFireflite on Mon Apr 12 04:40:00 2021
    C.G.,

I think we all tend to be sore losers. I wish I would have known baoth
    of you back then, it would have been worth a trip out that way to talk
    and relax

She had poor eyesight, but she'd spot typos in bulletins and configuration files on the first try!!

After chile, there is no such thing as social distancing with me..

There was a commercial awhile back, I want to say from Tractor Supply Company, but I'm not sure.

The family is asking The Good Lord to bless the food they are about
    to partake in, and thanking Him for what He has provided. The family
    dog patiently waits under the table while they pray.

As soon as they say "Amen!", the dog bounds out of the kitchen, and
    heads upstairs into the bedroom. He opens the chest of drawers, and
    starts digging like mad. He doesn't find what he wants in the first
    few drawers, but he finally comes upon his quarry...military gas masks!!

The dog now has it on, and he runs back downstairs, and takes his
    place below the kitchen table.

The menu is baked beans, pinto beans, cabbage, legumes, chili with
    and without beans, and all the stuff that causes severe flatulence,
    with plenty of methane stench to boot.

The announcer says in the voice over "We have what you need". <G>

It's like a radio commercial for the Swiffer Pet Hair Cleanup.
    Some dogs and cats will shed like the dickens. My late wife and I
    had smoothie, short haired dachshunds (only one at a time). This
    way, they were easier to spot fleas, ticks, chiggers, etc., on...
    and easier to clean.

But in the radio commercial, they note at the end of it:

"Swiffer Pet Hair Cleaner...because Shed Happens". <BG>

Daryl

... Of course I'm on topic!! What conference is this??!!
    --- MultiMail/Win v0.52
  • From DesotoFireflite@VERT/VALHALLA to Daryl Stout on Mon Apr 12 15:36:35 2021
    By: Daryl Stout to DesotoFireflite on Sun Apr 11 2021 09:40 pm

There was a commercial awhile back, I want to say from Tractor Supply Company, but I'm not sure.

Thank you for the great laugh.... still laughing

--- Fartvergnugen: The pleasure of breaking wind.
  • From Mauro Veiga@VERT/ABUTRE2 to DESOTOFIREFLITE on Mon Apr 12 17:52:00 2021
    Quoting Desotofireflite to Nightfox <=-

Subject: What do you get out of running a BBS?

I really miss GAP, as I was a beta tester, and it was nice getting the
    new copies while everyone else was using the old ones :) I'm still
    running a support board since Kenny Died trying to keep it alive.

SBBS is my main system, and I'm very happy with it, but the old me
    prefers my GAP and RA, as thats what I cut my teeth with in the old
    days. I'm just glad people like Mike made the program Netfoss and
    net2bbs, so they can still be enjoyed still today.

I didn't know Kenny Gardner was dead. Sad. :-(
    I enjoyed reading David Wolfe's books about GAP-BBS and set up my
    first BBS. It worked, but my poor technical knowledge discouraged
    me at the time. On 2016 i return with Synchronet and i love it.

it's nice seeing the old stories here of what keeps this hobby alive.

Yes! :-))

... I am Dirty Harry of Borg. Go ahead... Resist us.
    ___ Blue Wave/DOS v2.30

---
    þ Synchronet þ Ninho do Abutre 2 BBS - Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
  • From DesotoFireflite@VERT/VALHALLA to Mauro Veiga on Mon Apr 12 21:42:05 2021
    Re: Re: What do you get out o
    By: Mauro Veiga to DESOTOFIREFLITE on Mon Apr 12 2021 10:52 am

Yes, it's been about 2 years now. We were actually working on GAP to be telnet aware built in. I got to know him very well. He was a good friend, and I will miss him.

--- Don't eat the yellow snow!
  • From MRO@VERT/BBSESINF to DesotoFireflite on Tue Apr 13 09:58:33 2021
    By: DesotoFireflite to Mauro Veiga on Mon Apr 12 2021 02:42 pm

Yes, it's been about 2 years now. We were actually working on GAP to be telnet aware built in. I got to know him very well. He was a good friend, and I will miss him.

what is that even?
    ---
    þ Synchronet þ ::: BBSES.info - free BBS services :::
  • From Mauro Veiga@VERT/ABUTRE2 to DESOTOFIREFLITE on Tue Apr 13 19:39:00 2021
    Quoting Desotofireflite to Mauro Veiga <=-

Yes, it's been about 2 years now. We were actually working on GAP to
    be telnet aware built in. I got to know him very well. He was a good friend, and I will miss him.

Sad. My sincere condolences. :-(
    I remember the GAP-BBS website. It was great.

At the time I used GAP I remember that found the internal QWK poor
    in resources and was looking for a compatible QWK door. I only
    found MAINMAIL but it was no longer possible to register or it was
    expensive, I don't remember. There was another compatible QWK door?

You still have backup of the GAP installation. In the future, I'll
    test the GAP with ECHODOOR that you mentioned.

[]s ³
    ÚÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄ * ÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄ
    ³ Mauro R. Veiga - abutre.no-ip.org:2323 ³
    ÄÄÄÄijÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÙ

MeSSaGe SiTTeR 1.00 - Full Version
    Live Long and Prosper

... The blues is nothing but a good man feeling bad.
    ___ Blue Wave/DOS v2.30

---
  • From Mauro Veiga@VERT/ABUTRE2 to MRO on Tue Apr 13 19:40:00 2021
    Quoting Mro to Desotofireflite <=-

By: DesotoFireflite to Mauro Veiga on Mon Apr 12 2021 02:42 pm

what is that even?

About Kenny Gardner, developer of GAP-BBS.

... In the future there will be no users, all be Sysops.
    ___ Blue Wave/DOS v2.30

---
  • From MRO@VERT/BBSESINF to Mauro Veiga on Tue Apr 13 21:55:46 2021
    By: Mauro Veiga to MRO on Tue Apr 13 2021 12:40 pm

telnet aware built in. I got to know him very well. He was a good friend, and I will miss him.

what is that even?

About Kenny Gardner, developer of GAP-BBS.

"telnet aware" built in
    ---
  • From DesotoFireflite@VERT/VALHALLA to MRO on Tue Apr 13 23:02:13 2021
    By: MRO to DesotoFireflite on Tue Apr 13 2021 02:58 am

be telnet aware built in. I got to know him very well. He was a good
    friend, and I will miss him.

what is that even?

I assume you are asking what GAP is? Yes

--- CAT (n.), Furry keyboard cover.
  • From DesotoFireflite@VERT/VALHALLA to Mauro Veiga on Tue Apr 13 23:05:04 2021
    By: Mauro Veiga to DESOTOFIREFLITE on Tue Apr 13 2021 12:39 pm

Yes, I have it all. You will have to install 6.6 first, then update to 6.7 99 node. Just yell when you are ready, or log into my sbbs system by telnet, and choose 2 for GAPm all the files are there, or on my website also

--- Don't eat the yellow snow!
  • From DesotoFireflite@VERT/VALHALLA to MRO on Wed Apr 14 00:59:21 2021
    By: MRO to Mauro Veiga on Tue Apr 13 2021 02:55 pm

what is that even?
    "telnet aware" built in

All I meant, was he was planning on taking out the comm routines, and putting in telnet so it didn't rely on telnet front ends.

--- SENILE.COM found...Out of Memory...
  • From Digital Man@VERT to DesotoFireflite on Wed Apr 14 03:33:11 2021
    By: DesotoFireflite to MRO on Tue Apr 13 2021 05:59 pm

what is that even?
    "telnet aware" built in

All I meant, was he was planning on taking out the comm routines, and putting in telnet so it didn't rely on telnet front ends.

Ah, so he was porting (from MS-DOS) to a modern OS or had he already done that part?
    --
    digital man

Sling Blade quote #18:
    Karl Childers: Some folks call it Hell, I call it Hades.
    Norco, CA WX: 56.1øF, 73.0% humidity, 0 mph NNE wind, 0.00 inches rain/24hrs ---
    þ Synchronet þ Vertrauen þ Home of Synchronet þ [vert/cvs/bbs].synchro.net
  • From MRO@VERT/BBSESINF to DesotoFireflite on Wed Apr 14 09:10:33 2021
    By: DesotoFireflite to MRO on Tue Apr 13 2021 04:02 pm

By: MRO to DesotoFireflite on Tue Apr 13 2021 02:58 am

be telnet aware built in. I got to know him very well. He was a good
    friend, and I will miss him.

what is that even?

I assume you are asking what GAP is? Yes

no.

what do you mean 'telnet aware built in'
    ---
  • From MRO@VERT/BBSESINF to DesotoFireflite on Wed Apr 14 09:11:21 2021
    By: DesotoFireflite to MRO on Tue Apr 13 2021 05:59 pm

what is that even?
    "telnet aware" built in

okay that's totally different and wasnt likely to happen.

that's adding a telnet server.
    ---
  • From MRO@VERT/BBSESINF to Digital Man on Wed Apr 14 09:11:54 2021
    By: Digital Man to DesotoFireflite on Tue Apr 13 2021 08:33 pm

Ah, so he was porting (from MS-DOS) to a modern OS or had he already done that part?

he was probably going to do like wwiv did
    ---
  • From Mauro Veiga@VERT/ABUTRE2 to DESOTOFIREFLITE on Wed Apr 14 17:16:00 2021
    Quoting Desotofireflite to Mauro Veiga <=-

Yes, I have it all. You will have to install 6.6 first, then update to
    6.7 99 node. Just yell when you are ready, or log into my sbbs system
    by telnet, and choose 2 for GAPm all the files are there, or on my
    website also

I downloaded all. Thanks, Desotofireflite. :-))

,_o_,
    =======
    _____----(_o_)----_____
    / `-------------' \ Mauro R. Veiga abutrebbs@yahoo.com.br
    [' `]

MeSSaGe SiTTeR 1.00 - Full Version
    Live Long and Prosper

... Old Taglines, like clothes, will come back into style!
    ___ Blue Wave/DOS v2.30

---
  • From DesotoFireflite@VERT/VALHALLA to Digital Man on Wed Apr 14 22:24:25 2021

All I meant, was he was planning on taking out the comm routines, and
    putting in telnet so it didn't rely on telnet front ends.

Ah, so he was porting (from MS-DOS) to a modern OS or had he already done that part? --

He was in the process of switching everything to windows, which is done, and the next step was working on the telnet part of it, and removing the comm routines, which was in the very early stages. Version 6.7 is compiled for windows 10 in mind, and is stable, but he never got to complete the next step before he passed. I hope that answered your question.

--- CAT (n.), Furry keyboard cover.
  • From Digital Man@VERT to DesotoFireflite on Wed Apr 14 21:03:42 2021
    By: DesotoFireflite to Digital Man on Wed Apr 14 2021 03:24 pm

All I meant, was he was planning on taking out the comm routines, and
    putting in telnet so it didn't rely on telnet front ends.

Ah, so he was porting (from MS-DOS) to a modern OS or had he already done that part? --

He was in the process of switching everything to windows, which is done, and the next step was working on the telnet part of it, and removing the comm routines, which was in the very early stages. Version 6.7 is compiled for windows 10 in mind, and is stable, but he never got to complete the next step before he passed. I hope that answered your question.

Yup. Did he open source it? It'd be nice if he lived on through his program.
    --
    digital man

Synchronet "Real Fact" #106:
    You're missing the action in #synchronet at irc.synchro.net!
    Norco, CA WX: 64.2øF, 53.0% humidity, 1 mph NW wind, 0.00 inches rain/24hrs
    ---
    þ Synchronet þ Vertrauen þ Home of Synchronet þ [vert/cvs/bbs].synchro.net
  • From DesotoFireflite@VERT/VALHALLA to Digital Man on Thu Apr 15 01:13:19 2021
    By: Digital Man to DesotoFireflite on Wed Apr 14 2021 02:03 pm

Yup. Did he open source it? It'd be nice if he lived on through his program. --

No, as I understand, he was very protective of the software, and did not wish to release the source. I respect his wishes, and only discussed it once with relitives, and the answer was the same.

--- SENILE.COM found...Out of Memory...