• Integrating FidoNet Echomails and Netmail

From Michael Mrak@VERT/SILCHAT to All on Sat Apr 10 19:53:58 2021
    Dear All,

Now the enthusiasm has gripped me :-)

The integration of DOVE-Net was really easy. This has really been implemented in a very foolproof way. Great to find a good base of groups to share right away.

Now I would like to integrate my BBS as a node in FidoNet. Getting a node address is no problem, I am already in contact with the local coordinator. So I know which FidoNet address and password I will use.

The adaptation of Synchronet (running on Debian) for integration seems a bit tricky to me. Do you know a good clear source of information how I can integrate my node address as uncomplicated as possible?

Kind regards
    Michael

---
    þ Synchronet þ Silent Chat BBS
  • From Gamgee@VERT/PALANT to Michael Mrak on Sat Apr 10 17:37:00 2021
    Michael Mrak wrote to All <=-

Dear All,

The integration of DOVE-Net was really easy. This has really been implemented in a very foolproof way. Great to find a good base of
    groups to share right away.

Now I would like to integrate my BBS as a node in FidoNet.
    Getting a node address is no problem, I am already in contact
    with the local coordinator. So I know which FidoNet address and
    password I will use.

The adaptation of Synchronet (running on Debian) for integration
    seems a bit tricky to me. Do you know a good clear source of
    information how I can integrate my node address as uncomplicated
    as possible?

You could start here: http://wiki.synchro.net/howto:fidonet

... Press any key to continue or any other key to quit
    --- MultiMail/Linux v0.52
    þ Synchronet þ Palantir BBS * palantirbbs.ddns.net * Pensacola, FL
  • From MRO@VERT/BBSESINF to Michael Mrak on Sun Apr 11 00:34:18 2021
    Re: Integrating FidoNet Echomails and Netmail
    By: Michael Mrak to All on Sat Apr 10 2021 12:53 pm

Dear All,

The integration of DOVE-Net was really easy. This has really been implemented in a very foolproof way. Great to find a good base of groups to share right away.

Now I would like to integrate my BBS as a node in FidoNet. Getting a node address is no problem, I am already in contact with the local coordinator. So I know which FidoNet address and password I will use.

The adaptation of Synchronet (running on Debian) for integration seems a bit tricky to me. Do you know a good clear source of information how I can integrate my node address as uncomplicated as possible?

dovenet requires almost no work to setup. fidonet is a bit more complicated and probably not worth the effort.

you can find someone who will feed you fidonet via nntp and that would be easy for you.

otherwise lordtime has a decent fidonet guide.
    ---
    þ Synchronet þ ::: BBSES.info - free BBS services :::
  • From Dream Master@VERT/CIAD to Michael Mrak on Sun Apr 11 00:36:52 2021
    Re: Integrating FidoNet Echomails and Netmail
    By: Michael Mrak to All on Sat Apr 10 2021 12:53 pm

The process of integrating your BBS to a FTN-based network can be difficult. Following the directions to a T within the wiki. It can be found here: http://wiki.synchro.net/util:sbbsecho

Next, if you go into your External Programs->Operator->FidoNet Configuration (I believe that's what its called), it will start you off on the right path. Careful, though, as it can be a little touchy to start with.

Brian Klauss <-> Dream Master
    Caught in a Dream | caughtinadream.com a Synchronet BBS

---
    þ Synchronet þ Caught in a Dream - caughtinadream.com
  • From N1uro@VERT/CARNAGE to MRO on Tue May 4 05:58:00 2021
    MRO wrote to Michael Mrak <=-

dovenet requires almost no work to setup. fidonet is a bit more complicated and probably not worth the effort.

This is very true.

you can find someone who will feed you fidonet via nntp and that would
    be easy for you.

I just set up FidoNet mail with echo areas on my SynchronetBBS with very little effort at all. The Bink part was the hardest part to do and even that was prettystraight forward.

... Got my tie caught in the fax... Suddenly I was in L.A.
    þ Synchronet þ My Brand-New BBS
  • From MRO@VERT/BBSESINF to N1uro on Tue May 4 13:08:31 2021
    Re: Integrating FidoNet Echom
    By: N1uro to MRO on Mon May 03 2021 10:58 pm

I just set up FidoNet mail with echo areas on my SynchronetBBS with very little effort at all. The Bink part was the hardest part to do and even that was prettystraight forward.

years ago, i didnt even know what i was doing and i setup multiple people on ftn networks with different softwares. and 2 of those people ended up running msg nets and acting like i never showed them how to do it.

i guess they like to pretend they figured it out on their own instead of mro the asshole going in via vnc or teamviewer and doing it all for them.
    ---
  • From N1uro@VERT/CARNAGE to MRO on Tue May 4 19:53:00 2021
    MRO wrote to N1uro <=-

years ago, i didnt even know what i was doing and i setup multiple
    people on ftn networks with different softwares. and 2 of those people ended up running msg nets and acting like i never showed them how to do it.

Things were so much simpler then back in the day weren't they! People had to learn how to use DOS and command lines, programs were much smaller and
    simpler to use, and still were quite functional (which is why I love the old door games!) Now with everything hidden behind windows GUIs people have
    become point n click lazy.

As a linux partner developer of software for Ham packet communications
    I know what you mean about setting things up for others who in the end
    show little to know appreciation. One guy who I helped boasted that he
    was Mr. Super SysAdmin of all OS available and later in a forum for another software product he posts "what's a swapfile?" Lots of troubled people out there that suffer from the DeFacingBook community disease :)

i guess they like to pretend they figured it out on their own instead
    of mro the asshole going in via vnc or teamviewer and doing it all for them.

I hear you! Preach to the choir my brother! ;-) Life goes on though
    and just know that with such closed minds, they will always leave some important knowledge out of the noggin that well always have.

btw; nice to make your aquaintence here... and others.

-Brian

... What is mind? No matter! What is matter? Never mind! - Homer S.
  • From MRO@VERT/BBSESINF to N1uro on Wed May 5 01:00:08 2021
    By: N1uro to MRO on Tue May 04 2021 12:53 pm

years ago, i didnt even know what i was doing and i setup multiple people on ftn networks with different softwares. and 2 of those people ended up running msg nets and acting like i never showed them how to do it.

Things were so much simpler then back in the day weren't they! People had to learn how to use DOS and command lines, programs were much smaller and simpler to use, and still were quite functional (which is why I love the old door games!) Now with everything hidden behind windows GUIs people have

i'm not even talking about the 90s. i'm talking like 2000's

i wouldnt say things are simpler. everything seems the same to me. same shit different day
    ---
  • From N1uro@VERT/CARNAGE to MRO on Wed May 5 05:49:00 2021
    MRO wrote to N1uro <=-

i'm not even talking about the 90s. i'm talking like 2000's

i wouldnt say things are simpler. everything seems the same to me. same shit different day ---

From what I see it's MUCH different now than it was even 20 years ago! Back then, you may get the occasional person who think they surpassed you in their knowledge base and snubbed you aside. That I could easily deal with.

Today after I help others configure my software packages *they* want to run, they accuse me of doing damage to their hardware because another clown who doesn't know what their doing said so without providing any proof of concept
    to back up their accusations. I almost wish I didn't know now what I do.

So far the configuration for fido mail on SBBS I found to be a lot simpler
    than originally thought. My problem was I was reading the docs and was
    way over processing them in me noggin. I did better without the docs. Proof we're engaged in a thread is the PoC to my statement :)

-Brian

... Direct from the Ministry of Silly Walks
  • From MRO@VERT/BBSESINF to N1uro on Wed May 5 12:18:20 2021
    By: N1uro to MRO on Tue May 04 2021 10:49 pm

i wouldnt say things are simpler. everything seems the same to me. same shit different day ---

From what I see it's MUCH different now than it was even 20 years ago! Back then, you may get the occasional person who think they surpassed you in their knowledge base and snubbed you aside. That I could easily deal with.

Today after I help others configure my software packages *they* want to run, they accuse me of doing damage to their hardware because another clown who doesn't know what their doing said so without providing any proof of concept to back up their accusations. I almost wish I didn't know now what I do.

see, that reminds of of stuff i've seen since i've been in computing.

So far the configuration for fido mail on SBBS I found to be a lot simpler than originally thought. My problem was I was reading the docs and was
    way over processing them in me noggin. I did better without the docs. Proof

you just get the numbers right and it works. if it doesnt work you look at the logs and you know why. i was scared to hook up to fidonet and other msg nets because it was intimidating to me. once i hopped it i realized there was nothing to it.

those fidonet guys just like to act like they're technical guys and everything they do is hard. it's just not.
    ---
  • From N1uro@VERT/CARNAGE to MRO on Wed May 5 19:23:00 2021
    Hey MRO;

MRO wrote to N1uro <=-

see, that reminds of of stuff i've seen since i've been in computing.

I was somewhat forced into computing back in the late 70s when a friend
    in school got a TRASH-80 and wanted to make copies of games he had on
    cassette for backup. Since I had somewhat of a dubbing station for audio already, I made some master copies on open reel for him and we redubbed
    them to cassette - worked like a charm!

Those were the days when if you did something for someone they showed true appreciation. My family couldn't afford to get one so he always let me use
    his whenever I needed/wanted to. He had a cool space game I actually
    hacked :) That's when I knew this stuff would somewhat come naturally for
    me.

The 80s/early 90s came and I really got "elmered" (guided in ham radio lingo) with various things about the hardwares etc. I always tried to share any knowledge I accumulated. That's where the real power of knowledge lays. Some were still appreciating the knowledge, others not so much but they would claim to.

2000's came, I saw people becoming greedy and with 'doze becoming more and
    more ignorant as to what icons really were doing behind the scene. They did
    NOT wish to learn, only point-n-clique! However now with the era of sites
    such as DeFacingBook, Twitz'R, InstaGrudge, etc. the hate/flame factor almost makes the internet useless. I have big plastic bins I put my garbage in I
    don't need to use IP for it :)

you just get the numbers right and it works. if it doesnt work you look
    at the logs and you know why. i was scared to hook up to fidonet and other msg nets because it was intimidating to me. once i hopped it i realized there was nothing to it.

BinkIt is really the key to it. The manuals/wiki confused me more than anything.Once I was able to establish netmail to my feed, the rest was simply turning
    the areas on via areafix, and configuring the message areas with scfg. Dove
    is different as you know (and I'm glad to be on) but I did miss fido and
    am estatic it works, and even found some long lost friends on it!

those fidonet guys just like to act like they're technical guys and everything they do is hard. it's just not.

I can see where it can get confusing which may make it seem technically advanced for the average mouse monster on 'doze. Most people on smartphones
    and computers these days most likely never wrote a DOS debug program.
    'Tis a shame when you think about it... this shows they probably (but not necessarily likely) lack debugging skills themself.

-Brian

... The number you have dailed...Nine-one-one...has been changed.
  • From poindexter FORTRAN@VERT/REALITY to N1uro on Wed May 5 22:31:00 2021
    N1uro wrote to MRO <=-

Things were so much simpler then back in the day weren't they! People
    had to learn how to use DOS and command lines, programs were much
    smaller and simpler to use, and still were quite functional (which is
    why I love the old door games!) Now with everything hidden behind
    windows GUIs people have become point n click lazy.

I remember when I finally got that One Big Batch file running, I didn't
    think it was easy by any means. But when I finally had the mailer answering the phone and handing off the caller to the BBS at the right speed, timed
    mail events running correctly, and maintenance tasks running as errorlevels off of the mailer, I was pretty happy.

That was quite a nifty system, having the mailer drop out at different error levels and having your batch file read them to figure out what to do next.

... Bridges -build -burn
    --- MultiMail/DOS v0.52
    þ Synchronet þ realitycheckBBS -- http://realitycheckBBS.org
  • From poindexter FORTRAN@VERT/REALITY to N1uro on Wed May 5 22:33:00 2021
    N1uro wrote to MRO <=-

So far the configuration for fido mail on SBBS I found to be a lot
    simpler than originally thought. My problem was I was reading the docs
    and was way over processing them in me noggin. I did better without the docs. Proof we're engaged in a thread is the PoC to my statement :)

Getting multiple pieces of software talking to each other usually hinged on getting the paths right. Now with binkit and tickit rolled into Synchronet, I've got all of the moving parts that used to be third-party packages all integrated into Synchronet.

... Bridges -build -burn
    --- MultiMail/DOS v0.52
  • From Gamgee@VERT/PALANT to poindexter FORTRAN on Thu May 6 05:23:00 2021
    poindexter FORTRAN wrote to N1uro <=-

Things were so much simpler then back in the day weren't they! People
    had to learn how to use DOS and command lines, programs were much
    smaller and simpler to use, and still were quite functional (which is
    why I love the old door games!) Now with everything hidden behind
    windows GUIs people have become point n click lazy.

I remember when I finally got that One Big Batch file running, I
    didn't think it was easy by any means. But when I finally had the
    mailer answering the phone and handing off the caller to the BBS
    at the right speed, timed mail events running correctly, and
    maintenance tasks running as errorlevels off of the mailer, I was
    pretty happy.

That was quite a nifty system, having the mailer drop out at
    different error levels and having your batch file read them to
    figure out what to do next.

I agree! My One Big Batch file was one of my proudest accomplishments
    back in those days (early 90's). To get all those things to talk and
    interact properly was not easy, and it was all under MSDOS! I still
    have that batch file safely saved away, and every now and then take it
    out for a look, and pat myself on the back. ;-)

... 2 + 2 = 5 for extremely large values of 2.
  • From Brian Rogers@VERT/CARNAGE to poindexter FORTRAN on Thu May 6 05:45:00 2021
    Greets;

I remember when I finally got that One Big Batch file running, I didn't think it was easy by any means. But when I finally had the mailer answering the phone and handing off the caller to the BBS at the right speed, timed mail events running correctly, and maintenance tasks
    running as errorlevels off of the mailer, I was pretty happy.

Sure! So was I especially taking a single user door and writing batch files
    so that they'd work on a multi-node system. This included creating lock files that would push to a node if a door was in use by another user on another
    node. I recall some batch files being over 8 pages long. The best part about
    it all though is: we created them ourselves!

That was quite a nifty system, having the mailer drop out at different error levels and having your batch file read them to figure out what to
    do next.

Making things that work, and work well is something I enjoy doing - and even sharing when possible. Some echomailers such as FrontDoor did require some pretty extensive batch file scripting. SBBS seems nice in the way it's
    done. One thing about this sort of a platform is that we have a lot of
    room to experiment and share.

-Brian

... Gone crazy, be back later, please leave message.
    þ Synchronet þ SBBS - Carnage! Telnet: bbs.n1uro.com:2300
  • From Brian Rogers@VERT/CARNAGE to poindexter FORTRAN on Thu May 6 05:47:00 2021
    Hello Poindexter;

Getting multiple pieces of software talking to each other usually
    hinged on getting the paths right. Now with binkit and tickit rolled
    into Synchronet, I've got all of the moving parts that used to be third-party packages all integrated into Synchronet.

Absolutely, I'd have to say it's almost like the difference between D'Bridge and FrontDoor. D'Bridge was a LOT easier to manage since most of it was all integrated together... like Rob did with BinkIt & SBBS :)

-Brian

... Internal Error: The system has been taken over by sheep at line 19960
  • From Brian Rogers@VERT/CARNAGE to Gamgee on Thu May 6 12:09:00 2021
    Gamgee wrote to poindexter FORTRAN <=-

I agree! My One Big Batch file was one of my proudest accomplishments back in those days (early 90's). To get all those things to talk and interact properly was not easy, and it was all under MSDOS! I still

I have mine floating around somewhere as well... probably backed up with
    a copy of Leisure Suit Larry <BG>

... DalekDOS v(overflow): (I)Obey (V)ision impaired (E)xterminate
  • From poindexter FORTRAN@VERT/REALITY to Gamgee on Sun May 9 14:37:00 2021
    Gamgee wrote to poindexter FORTRAN <=-

I agree! My One Big Batch file was one of my proudest accomplishments back in those days (early 90's). To get all those things to talk and interact properly was not easy, and it was all under MSDOS! I still

I keep a copy of my old DOS BBS around with the thought that I might haul it out someday. Then, I look at it and realize how bad my ANSIs were. :)

What is interesting is that I have a backup of my Fido message bases from
    1996 in there. Busy place, it was.

... The plains of Leonis are burning.
    --- MultiMail/DOS v0.52
  • From deon@VERT/ALTERANT to poindexter FORTRAN on Mon May 10 18:46:55 2021
    Re: Re: Integrating FidoNet Echom
    By: poindexter FORTRAN to Gamgee on Sun May 09 2021 07:37 am

Howdy,

What is interesting is that I have a backup of my Fido message bases from 1996 in there. Busy place, it was.

Would that backup by chance of echomail for 1993/1994?

I'd be curious to see what I was (or my BBS was) involved in back then. I dont recall being that active, but I might be surprised.

...ëîåï

... Ketterling's Law: Logic is an organized way of going wrong with confidenc

---
    þ Synchronet þ Alterant | an SBBS in Docker on Pi!
  • From Gamgee@VERT/PALANT to poindexter FORTRAN on Mon May 10 03:52:00 2021
    poindexter FORTRAN wrote to Gamgee <=-

I keep a copy of my old DOS BBS around with the thought that I
    might haul it out someday. Then, I look at it and realize how bad
    my ANSIs were. :)

Hehe, yeah same here. Got the whole thing archived on a CD too.

What is interesting is that I have a backup of my Fido message
    bases from 1996 in there. Busy place, it was.

Indeed. It's like looking back through a time travel machine. Very
    cool and fun.

... What was the best thing BEFORE sliced bread?
  • From poindexter FORTRAN@VERT/REALITY to deon on Mon May 10 13:52:00 2021
    deon wrote to poindexter FORTRAN <=-

What is interesting is that I have a backup of my Fido message bases from 1996 in there. Busy place, it was.

Would that backup by chance of echomail for 1993/1994?

I don't think so. My biggest regret of BBSing back then was not spending
    more money for bigger disks and backup. I'd love to have more snapshots from that time.

Especially on the local networks where we grew up, got into relationships,
    had first breakups, drank too much, got sober, quit smoking, got fat, got in shape, got political during Gulf War I, and generally lived virtually for
    the first time.

... Consider different fading systems
    --- MultiMail/DOS v0.52