• The Viper BBS Sysop

From DaiTengu@VERT/ENSEMBLE to All on Tue May 25 22:51:28 2021
    Has anyone else had the Sysop of The Viper BBS (Lloyd Felton?) create multiple accounts on their board?

The dude has created at least 3, possibly 4 accounts here, and sent me multiple messages to "add his bbs". I've tried replying to him, but he never seems to log back into the same account, and apparently the e-mail address he uses bounces my e-mails back.

I'm not sure what he wants me to "add" his BBS to, my logoff screen displays a random selection of BBSes from the Synchronet BBS List, which anyone can add their own BBS to. The telnet address he gave me for his BBS doesn't respond. (theviperbbs.ddns.net) Heck, today it doesn't even resolve (it did resolve to 34.199.8.144). He also then proceeds to put his BBS on the SYnchronet oneliners upon logoff.

If he's logging into anyone else's BBS and doing this, has anyone been able to contact him and get a response?

DaiTengu

... Drop your carrier ...we have you surrounded!

---
    þ Synchronet þ War Ensemble BBS - The sport is war, total war - warensemble.com
  • From Gamgee@VERT/PALANT to DaiTengu on Wed May 26 03:39:00 2021
    DaiTengu wrote to All <=-

Has anyone else had the Sysop of The Viper BBS (Lloyd Felton?)
    create multiple accounts on their board?

The dude has created at least 3, possibly 4 accounts here, and
    sent me multiple messages to "add his bbs". I've tried replying
    to him, but he never seems to log back into the same account, and apparently the e-mail address he uses bounces my e-mails back.

I'm not sure what he wants me to "add" his BBS to, my logoff
    screen displays a random selection of BBSes from the Synchronet
    BBS List, which anyone can add their own BBS to. The telnet
    address he gave me for his BBS doesn't respond.
    (theviperbbs.ddns.net) Heck, today it doesn't even resolve (it
    did resolve to 34.199.8.144). He also then proceeds to put his
    BBS on the SYnchronet oneliners upon logoff.

If he's logging into anyone else's BBS and doing this, has anyone
    been able to contact him and get a response?

I haven't seen him come by here. I did just log into his BBS (about
    8:30PM CDT), which is completely stock and has zero content. Nothing.

I'd delete his account(s) and carry on. <SHRUG>

... A woman drove me to drink, and I never had the courtesy to thank her.
    --- MultiMail/Linux v0.52
    þ Synchronet þ Palantir BBS * palantirbbs.ddns.net * Pensacola, FL
  • From poindexter FORTRAN@VERT/REALITY to DaiTengu on Wed May 26 03:05:00 2021
    DaiTengu wrote to All <=-

Has anyone else had the Sysop of The Viper BBS (Lloyd Felton?) create multiple accounts on their board?

I'm not sure what he wants me to "add" his BBS to, my logoff screen displays a random selection of BBSes from the Synchronet BBS List,
    which anyone can add their own BBS to. The telnet address he gave me
    for his BBS doesn't respond. (theviperbbs.ddns.net) Heck, today it
    doesn't even resolve (it did resolve to 34.199.8.144). He also then proceeds to put his BBS on the SYnchronet oneliners upon logoff.

He posted the ddns hostname and a private IP here, with the request to add
    his system to my BBS.

... How does this work, is there an orientation?
    --- MultiMail/DOS v0.52
    þ Synchronet þ realitycheckBBS -- http://realitycheckBBS.org
  • From Dumas Walker@VERT/CAPCITY2 to DAITENGU on Wed May 26 20:48:00 2021

Yes he has. I have told him that he can add it to the BBS list himself.
    To my knowledge, he created one account and asked, then the second time he
    was on as Guest. He has only done it twice here.

IIRC, he has posted in one of the FIDO or DOVE echos, too, and someone
    pointed out that he needed to fix the IPA in his post as he is posting a
    local network one.

* SLMR 2.1a * Do I straddle the fence on issues? Well, yes and no....

---
    þ Synchronet þ CAPCITY2 * capcity2.synchro.net * Telnet/SSH:2022/Rlogin/HTTP
  • From DaiTengu@VERT/ENSEMBLE to Dumas Walker on Thu May 27 15:46:22 2021
    Re: Re: The Viper BBS Sysop
    By: Dumas Walker to DAITENGU on Wed May 26 2021 01:48 pm

Yes he has. I have told him that he can add it to the BBS list himself.
    To my knowledge, he created one account and asked, then the second time he was on as Guest. He has only done it twice here.

I think what irritated me the most is that he's created 3 accounts here (I just checked, he sent me 2 e-mails under one of them to "add his bbs") all under different names.

IIRC, he has posted in one of the FIDO or DOVE echos, too, and someone pointed out that he needed to fix the IPA in his post as he is posting a local network one.

I'd be more than happy to help him out and walk him through adding his BBS to the BBS list, but it doesn't seem like he wants help, he just wants everyone else to do his advertising for him if it involves more than a couple steps.

I sent him a pretty long e-mail describing the process (forwarded to his e-mail account he used to sign up), but he hasn't logged back in, and I have no idea if he even saw it.

I think if he creates a 4th account here, I'm just going to block his IP address at my firewall.

As I said, I'm more than happy to help people, but they have to want that help.

DaiTengu

... Schizophrenia divides and rules, OK?

---
  • From Daryl Stout@VERT/TBOLT to DaiTengu on Thu May 27 20:12:00 2021
    I'd be more than happy to help him out and walk him through adding his BBS to the BBS list, but it doesn't seem like he wants help, he just
    wants everyone else to do his advertising for him if it involves more
    than a couple steps.

That's like the Sysop who had another Sysop "build their system", but
    then the Sysop who did NO WORK took credit for it. Karma bit him when
    another Sysop engaged "the lazy one" in chat...while at the same time,
    another Sysop was inside his system, wiping out the hard drive. As soon
    as chat exited, the entire system crashed.

To me, I just have to be shown the structure, as with a template, and
    I can take it from there. Otherwise, it's their setup, and not mine.

Daryl

... Procatstinate: The cat can't decide to go out or stay inside.
    --- MultiMail/Win v0.52
    þ Synchronet þ The Thunderbolt BBS - Little Rock, Arkansas
  • From cj@VERT/CJSPLACE to DaiTengu on Thu May 27 23:56:20 2021
    By: DaiTengu to Dumas Walker on Thu May 27 2021 08:46 am

I think what irritated me the most is that he's created 3 accounts here (I just checked, he sent me 2 e-mails under one of them to "add his bbs") all under different names.

He's been here several times. Only one account though. I think he may have logged on as Guest first..but then created an account.

I'd be more than happy to help him out and walk him through adding his BBS to the BBS list, but it doesn't seem like he wants help, he just wants everyone else to do his advertising for him if it involves more than a couple steps.

He's been up and down a couple of times over the past week or two. He told me that he had router trouble, but seems to have gotten that taken care of. Apparently he was a sysop "back in the day" and is getting back into it after recently suffering a stroke as he spends most of his time at home now.

As I said, I'm more than happy to help people, but they have to want that help.

Have patience with him. I'm sure he'll be along shortly asking some questions of the group. There's a lot to this software compared to what we had in the early days.

CJ

... In some cases non-violence requires more militancy than violence.

---
    þ Synchronet þ CJ's Place, Orange City, FL - cjsplace.thruhere.net
  • From Dumas Walker@VERT/CAPCITY2 to DAITENGU on Fri May 28 16:14:00 2021
    Yes he has. I have told him that he can add it to the BBS list himself. To my knowledge, he created one account and asked, then the second time h
    was on as Guest. He has only done it twice here.

I think what irritated me the most is that he's created 3 accounts here (I ju
    checked, he sent me 2 e-mails under one of them to "add his bbs") all under d
    ferent names.

That is annoying. One would think that a fellow sysop would know how to
    not do that. :)

IIRC, he has posted in one of the FIDO or DOVE echos, too, and someone pointed out that he needed to fix the IPA in his post as he is posting a local network one.

I'd be more than happy to help him out and walk him through adding his BBS to
    he BBS list, but it doesn't seem like he wants help, he just wants everyone el
    to do his advertising for him if it involves more than a couple steps.

I sent him a pretty long e-mail describing the process (forwarded to his e-mai
    account he used to sign up), but he hasn't logged back in, and I have no idea
    he even saw it.

My response was not very detailed but did point out where he could add/advertise it himself (including leaving a PUBLIC message to ALL instead of a private one just to me).

I think if he creates a 4th account here, I'm just going to block his IP addre
    at my firewall.

As I said, I'm more than happy to help people, but they have to want that help

Without any responses from him, other than new messages asking the same question, I would think your plan is appropriate.

* SLMR 2.1a * Computers make very fast, very efficient mistakes.

---
    þ Synchronet þ CAPCITY2 * capcity2.synchro.net * Telnet/SSH:2022/Rlogin/HTTP
  • From Codefenix@VERT/CONCHAOS to DaiTengu on Sun May 30 02:06:00 2021
    Re: The Viper BBS Sysop
    By: DaiTengu to All on Tue May 25 2021 03:51 pm

The dude has created at least 3, possibly 4 accounts here, and sent me multiple messages to "add his bbs".

He did the same exact thing here: one account going by his Viper alias, and two others going by what I assume is his real name (one of which of those is misspelled).

I also noticed the local IP issue he was having, and directed him to ipchicken.com to find out what his outside facing IP is. A few minutes after that, I noticed his BBS started working. I went ahead and created an account. Stock Synchronet, at least it was when I checked.

All his emails are barely intelligible. He may have a learning disability, or is just very young. I don't believe this individual intends to be a pest on others' BBSes, and is just trying to learn the ropes in his own way.

---
    þ Synchronet þ -=[ conchaos.synchro.net | ConstructiveChaos BBS ]=-
  • From DaiTengu@VERT/ENSEMBLE to Dumas Walker on Sun May 30 02:00:39 2021
    By: Dumas Walker to DAITENGU on Fri May 28 2021 09:14 am

I think if he creates a 4th account here, I'm just going to block
    his IP addre at my firewall.

As I said, I'm more than happy to help people, but they have to want
    that help

Without any responses from him, other than new messages asking the same question, I would think your plan is appropriate.

He replied to my e-mail, finally. I'm going to try to help him out a bit, as he once again asked me to "add his bbs".

DaiTengu

... No one hates a job well done!

---
  • From DaiTengu@VERT/ENSEMBLE to Codefenix on Sun May 30 02:30:11 2021
    By: Codefenix to DaiTengu on Sat May 29 2021 07:06 pm

I also noticed the local IP issue he was having, and directed him to ipchicken.com to find out what his outside facing IP is. A few minutes after that, I noticed his BBS started working. I went ahead and created an account. Stock Synchronet, at least it was when I checked.

All his emails are barely intelligible. He may have a learning disability, or is just very young. I don't believe this individual intends to be a pest on others' BBSes, and is just trying to learn the ropes in his own way.

I just double checked, I thought he replied to my e-mail, but .. nope, he logged in and created a *4th* account. He claims to have had a stroke and his memory isn't real great.

Maybe I'll try logging into his BBS to reply.

DaiTengu

... WWhhaatt ddooeess dduupplleexx mmeeaann??

---
  • From Lupine Furmen@VERT/FURFOL to Dumas Walker on Sun May 30 21:37:36 2021
    By: Dumas Walker to DAITENGU on Fri May 28 2021 09:14:00

I think if he creates a 4th account here, I'm just going to block
    his IP addre at my firewall.

Sounds to me almost like a bot in operation rather than an actual person.
    -+-

Lupine Furmen
    -Dallas Vinson
    Furmens Folly (FIDO 1:123/257) - telnet: furmenservices.net:23
    SSH: furmenservices.net:23222
    Before the Web - telnet: furmenservices.net:23232
    Legends of Yesteryear (FIDO 1:123/256) - telnet: furmenservices.net:23322
    Sound Source ]|[ - telnet: furmenservices.net:2323

Dallas

... A cynic is a person searching for an honest man, with a stolen lantern.

---
    þ Synchronet þ Furmen's Folly - furmenservices.net:23
  • From John Dovey@VERT/GATOFUEG to Lupine Furmen on Tue Jun 8 05:03:31 2021
    By: Lupine Furmen to Dumas Walker on Sun May 30 2021 14:37:36

Without any responses from him, other than new messages asking the
    same question, I would think your plan is appropriate.

Now I see this in the log:

6-7 09:58:01p SMB2SBL Msg #1058 from Theviper@VERT/VIPERBBS:
    6-7 09:58:01p SMB2SBL Theviper@VERT/VIPERBBS creating new entry: TheViper BBS
    6-7 09:58:01p SMB2SBL Message body contained different BBS name (undefined) than subject: TheViper BBS

Looks like he's gotten a clue. Now it's just execution.

JD
    ---
    * El Gato de Fuego (The Fire Cat) 4:920/69 * Pedasi, Panama

... It's a can of wormms full of Pandora's boxes.
    ---
    þ Synchronet þ El Gato de Fuego - Pedasi, Panama - gatofueg.synchro.net