• DOVENET CONF LIST

From Fr333n3rgy@VERT/ORACLE to All on Wed Jan 19 12:00:44 2022
    Hi,

I'm trying to find a list of all dove-net message areas with incliding the internal code. I kind of accidentally delete 2 of them and need to re-add them -- could not find it in the wiki ..

Looking for the complete list (preferably) or at least Synchronet Discussions and Synchronet Announcements

Thank you

---
    ­ Synchronet ­ The Oracle BBS
  • From MRO@VERT/BBSESINF to Fr333n3rgy on Wed Jan 19 13:06:56 2022
    Re: DOVENET CONF LIST
    By: Fr333n3rgy to All on Wed Jan 19 2022 12:00 pm

Hi,

I'm trying to find a list of all dove-net message areas with incliding the internal code. I kind of accidentally delete 2 of them and need to re-add them -- could not find it in the wiki ..

Looking for the complete list (preferably) or at least Synchronet Discussions and Synchronet Announcements

why didnt you just backup, install again and look?
    ---
    þ Synchronet þ ::: BBSES.info - free BBS services :::
  • From Digital Man@VERT to Fr333n3rgy on Wed Jan 19 12:01:56 2022

Hi,

The internal codes are whatever *you* want them to be. But if you want to now what they *were*, you can list the data/subs/*.shd files and discover them.

I think the default internal code for that conference is DOVENET_GENERAL? But like I said, it's whatever you want it to be.
    --
    digital man (rob)

Rush quote #1:
    Danger plus survival equals fun. - Neil Peart
    Norco, CA WX: 61.2øF, 70.0% humidity, 5 mph W wind, 0.00 inches rain/24hrs
    ---
    þ Synchronet þ Vertrauen þ Home of Synchronet þ [vert/cvs/bbs].synchro.net
  • From Trikester@VERT/DOVEMOD/BSMNTQQ to Fr333n3rgy on Wed Jan 19 12:15:07 2022

I'm trying to find a list of all dove-net message areas with incliding the internal code. I kind of accidentally delete
    of them and need to re-add them -- could not find it in the wiki ..

Searching for dove on the wiki produces:

http://wiki.synchro.net/network:dove-net

---
    þ Synchronet þ ... The Basement ... Not really open yet.
  • From Fr333n3rgy@VERT/ORACLE to MRO on Wed Jan 19 20:19:18 2022
    By: MRO to Fr333n3rgy on Wed Jan 19 2022 01:06 pm

sorry to have asked. I hope you never need anything mate. I'll give the same reply.

---
    þ Synchronet þ The Oracle BBS
  • From Gamgee@VERT/PALANT to Fr333n3rgy on Thu Jan 20 07:37:00 2022
    Fr333n3rgy wrote to MRO <=-

sorry to have asked. I hope you never need anything mate. I'll
    give the same reply.

I'm certainly about the last one to defend "MRO", but.... it *WAS* very
    basic info that is *EASILY* found right there on the Wiki.

Look first, ask second. :-)

... So easy, a child could do it. Child sold separately.
    --- MultiMail/Linux v0.52
    þ Synchronet þ Palantir BBS * palantirbbs.ddns.net * Pensacola, FL
  • From SYS64738@VERT/TXNET1 to Gamgee on Thu Jan 20 10:34:00 2022

sorry to have asked. I hope you never need anything mate. I'll
    give the same reply.

I'm certainly about the last one to defend "MRO", but.... it *WAS* very basic info that is *EASILY* found right there on the Wiki.

Look first, ask second. :-)

I actually found myself in the same predicament just recently due to a dumb move on my part. However, I did go to the wiki site and just entered the sub-board info myself.

Easy-peasy!
  • From MRO@VERT/BBSESINF to Fr333n3rgy on Thu Jan 20 12:27:00 2022
    By: Fr333n3rgy to MRO on Wed Jan 19 2022 08:19 pm

sorry to have asked. I hope you never need anything mate. I'll give the same reply.

you're being stupid here and i'll explain why:

I'm actually telling you an easy way to see the dir codes that would take 2 mins.

I've done it myself and i've ran synchronet for over 20 years.

I don't need anything, and i wouldn't go to you for help.
    ---
  • From Fr333n3rgy@VERT/ORACLE to Gamgee on Thu Jan 20 15:17:22 2022
    Re: Re: DOVENET CONF LIST
    By: Gamgee to Fr333n3rgy on Thu Jan 20 2022 07:37 am

I'm certainly about the last one to defend "MRO", but.... it *WAS* very basic info that is *EASILY* found right there on the Wiki.

Well you and MRO should have read my request instead of offering wrong answers, the wiki does not show the short names like FSX_MSC etc -- those are the names I needed. If it was in the wiki I would not have asked.

And yes, I can just reinstall the sofware in another machine and see them in there since DOVENet come with it. I just though, I could save 15 min and aks in here this group since it's so friendly. Did not expect to stumble on a couple of arrogant people giving smart-ass remarks instead of helping out.

Will figure out shit myself moving forward (as I have been) and won't fall into the trap of asking in here.

F3

---
  • From Digital Man@VERT to Fr333n3rgy on Thu Jan 20 18:09:36 2022
    By: Fr333n3rgy to Gamgee on Thu Jan 20 2022 03:17 pm

Well you and MRO should have read my request instead of offering wrong answers, the wiki does not show the short names like FSX_MSC etc -- those are the names I needed. If it was in the wiki I would not have asked.

And yes, I can just reinstall the sofware in another machine and see them in there since DOVENet come with it. I just though, I could save 15 min and aks in here this group since it's so friendly. Did not expect to stumble on a couple of arrogant people giving smart-ass remarks instead of helping out.

Will figure out shit myself moving forward (as I have been) and won't fall into the trap of asking in here.

Like any online community, there are those that are helpful without being (too) insulting and those that... are not inclined to be that way.

I think the main point to take away from this Q&A is that for QWK networking, the conference *numbers* are what is important, not the names or internal codes that you use on your BBS.
    --
    digital man (rob)

Rush quote #71:
    He's not concerned with yesterday, he knows constant change is here today Norco, CA WX: 65.4øF, 36.0% humidity, 7 mph NNW wind, 0.00 inches rain/24hrs ---
  • From Gamgee@VERT/PALANT to Fr333n3rgy on Thu Jan 20 20:36:00 2022
    Fr333n3rgy wrote to Gamgee <=-

Well you and MRO should have read my request instead of offering
    wrong answers, the wiki does not show the short names like
    FSX_MSC etc -- those are the names I needed. If it was in the
    wiki I would not have asked.

You're quite confused. As DM himself told you, the short names can
    be anything you want. It doesn't matter. Also, we're discussing
    DOVENet, so a name like FSX_MSC doesn't even make sense.

And yes, I can just reinstall the sofware in another machine and
    see them in there since DOVENet come with it. I just though, I
    could save 15 min and aks in here this group since it's so
    friendly. Did not expect to stumble on a couple of arrogant
    people giving smart-ass remarks instead of helping out.

Yeah. You're off to a good start, insulting those who can help you.
    My remarks, at least, were not "smart-ass" in any way.

Will figure out shit myself moving forward (as I have been) and
    won't fall into the trap of asking in here.

LOL, yep OK, good luck, dummy.

... Ignorance can be cured. Stupid is forever.
    --- MultiMail/Linux v0.52
    þ Synchronet þ Palantir BBS * palantirbbs.ddns.net * Pensacola, FL
  • From MRO@VERT/BBSESINF to Digital Man on Fri Jan 21 00:00:12 2022
    By: Digital Man to Fr333n3rgy on Thu Jan 20 2022 06:09 pm

Like any online community, there are those that are helpful without being (too) insulting and those that... are not inclined to be that way.

I think the main point to take away from this Q&A is that for QWK networking, the conference *numbers* are what is important, not the names or internal codes that you use on your BBS.
    --

i wasn't being insulting. I asked why didn't he backup and do a install and gather the information. I've done that myself.

Instead he took offense. He would rather wait and have someone spoonfeed him the information. He could have found the information he needed in a few minutes.
    ---
  • From Fr333n3rgy@VERT/ORACLE to Digital Man on Fri Jan 21 09:48:59 2022

I think the main point to take away from this Q&A is that for QWK networking, the conference *numbers* are what is important, not the names or

I didn't know this, and I guess if I did, I would not have asked - is this explained anywhere? I did not find this in my searched, and I searched ...

Yeha, all that MRO should have said is exactly what you did - but he chose to show his arrogance. Some people just believe that they're so superior.

I've been in IT for the past 35 years and managed 370 IT developers on 6 contents (world wide tracking project) and one thing I know, is that you never respond in a condascending or arrogant manner to other people (not just IT) - be respectful, say thank you and offer advice.

In my current carrer, I build winners, I coach them and train them in the tech industry, so I know what I am talking about.

I am not going to go through my achievements or the many applications I developed (commercial and community) both hardware and software, but I can tell you that I am used to do it all myself as some of you here.

My mistake is that I forgot how BBSs are and that it's uncesored and people hide behind nicknames etc ...

All good, life goes on. I have had some good experienced here with some of the more helpful guys, so I'll watch what I post moving forward (and to whom).

Have a great weekend.

---
  • From Fr333n3rgy@VERT/ORACLE to Gamgee on Fri Jan 21 09:51:23 2022
    By: Gamgee to Fr333n3rgy on Thu Jan 20 2022 08:36 pm

LOL, yep OK, good luck, dummy.

Haha -- thanks. I'll make sure app and API will have is a block feature so we can weed-out people we don't need to deal with.

---
  • From Digital Man@VERT to Fr333n3rgy on Fri Jan 21 11:03:27 2022
    By: Fr333n3rgy to Digital Man on Fri Jan 21 2022 09:48 am

I think the main point to take away from this Q&A is that for QWK networking, the conference *numbers* are what is important, not the names or

I didn't know this, and I guess if I did, I would not have asked - is this explained anywhere? I did not find this in my searched, and I searched ...

I think it's implicit in that only the conference numbers are documented, e.g. here: http://wiki.synchro.net/network:dove-net

I can see how if you're coming from experience with FTN, you might assume there's some "area-tag" equivalent in QWK networking, but there is not, just the conference numbers.
    --
    digital man (rob)

Rush quote #4:
    You can be the captain and I will draw the chart... Closer to the Heart
    Norco, CA WX: 63.1øF, 39.0% humidity, 2 mph SSE wind, 0.00 inches rain/24hrs ---
  • From MRO@VERT/BBSESINF to Fr333n3rgy on Fri Jan 21 13:29:13 2022

Yeha, all that MRO should have said is exactly what you did - but he chose to show his arrogance. Some people just believe that they're so superior.

all i did was mention what i have done before.

you're an idiot.
    ---
  • From Nightfox@VERT/DIGDIST to Fr333n3rgy on Fri Jan 21 11:50:22 2022

I think the main point to take away from this Q&A is that for QWK
    networking, the conference *numbers* are what is important, not the
    names or

In my experience with setting up QWK networked message areas, I remember seeing that the QWK conference numbers are the only thing you need to set correctly to match the hub (the conference numbers are what you specify in your hub configuration). Thus, only the conference numbers are important, and you can use whatever internal codes you want for the sub-boards on your BBS.

Nightfox

---
    þ Synchronet þ Digital Distortion: digitaldistortionbbs.com
  • From deon@VERT/ALTERANT to Fr333n3rgy on Sat Jan 22 09:11:34 2022

Howdy,

I've been in IT for the past 35 years and managed 370 IT developers on 6 contents (world wide tracking project) and one thing I know,
    is
    that you never respond in a condascending or arrogant manner to other people (not just IT) - be respectful, say thank you and offer
    advice.

There are a few bad eggs in this hobby. I've been around for a year or two (might be three) and you soon start to recognise who they are by the way they respond to your messages. That's what the next key is for...

But equally there are many good eggs, who are pretty helpful. So pick your conversations. :)

...ëîåï

---
    þ Synchronet þ Alterant | an SBBS in Docker on Pi!
  • From Fr333n3rgy@VERT/ORACLE to deon on Sat Jan 22 17:13:38 2022
    By: deon to Fr333n3rgy on Sat Jan 22 2022 09:11 am

But equally there are many good eggs, who are pretty helpful. So pick your conversations. :)

I noticed - all good, I'll mod my local synchronet code and just add a blocker so i can ignore the bad eggs :)

---
  • From MATTHEW MUNSON@VERT/IUTOPIA to TRIKESTER on Sun Feb 13 16:26:00 2022
    On 1/19/2022 12:15 PM, TRIKESTER wrote to FR333N3RGY:

-
    Looking for the complete list (preferably) or at least Synchronet Discussions and
    Synchronet Announcements

Searching for dove on the wiki produces:

http://wiki.synchro.net/network:dove-net
    Do they have to match to connect with VERT?

---
    þ wcQWK 8.0 ÷ Inland Utopia * iutopia.duckdns.org:2323
  • From Trikester@VERT/DOVEMOD/BSMNTQQ to MATTHEW MUNSON on Sat Feb 26 13:51:36 2022
    Re: RE: DOVENET CONF LIST
    By: MATTHEW MUNSON to TRIKESTER on Sun Feb 13 2022 04:26 pm

Looking for the complete list (preferably) or at least Synchronet Discussions and
    Synchronet Announcements
    Searching for dove on the wiki produces: http://wiki.synchro.net/network:dove-net
    Do they have to match to connect with VERT?

Does which have to match?

The conference numbers don't as per the note "QWK conference numbers shown are from Vertrauen, not necessarily) your BBS."

Did you nuke all the conferences that were setup by default?

---
    þ Synchronet þ ... The Basement ... Not really open yet.