• Node List

From Andrew Brook@VERT/TYCHOSTN to All on Thu Mar 10 22:35:58 2022
    Hi got a question about the Node Lists /L command. I was wondering, is it possible to add extra custom labels in there so that if I have extra areas in my BBS those show up? The idea is that the custom command shell that I'm writing can update it so that if a user accesses the "Bar" area, it shows as "is in the bar" in the node list...

I'm assuming it's not going to be particularly easy, so far I have experimented with adding to the Node.action area of nodedefs.js and nodedefs.inc and adding an entry (took a wild guess at this one though) in text.js and text.dat... when trying to call the new node_action in the menu file it just gives me "undefined" in the nodelist...

Any ideas if this is even possible? I've rolled back all the additions I put in there but I'm still curious if this is doable as it would add a little more "flavor" to the whole experience.

Thanks in advance!
    Andrew
    ---[ Andrew Brook ]----------------------------------------------------------- ---[ Tycho Station BBS ]-[ An Expanse Themed BBS, very poorly executed ]------ ---[ Telnet: bbs.tychostation.it ]-[ Web Site: https://www.tychostatio.it ]---

---
    þ Synchronet þ Tycho Station BBS - loosely, although hardly, based on the Expanse
  • From Digital Man@VERT to Andrew Brook on Fri Mar 11 06:15:56 2022
    Re: Node List
    By: Andrew Brook to All on Thu Mar 10 2022 04:35 pm

Hi got a question about the Node Lists /L command. I was wondering, is it possible to add extra custom labels in there so that if I have extra areas in my BBS those show up? The idea is that the custom command shell that I'm writing can update it so that if a user accesses the "Bar" area, it shows as "is in the bar" in the node list...

I'm assuming it's not going to be particularly easy, so far I have experimented with adding to the Node.action area of nodedefs.js and nodedefs.inc and adding an entry (took a wild guess at this one though) in text.js and text.dat... when trying to call the new node_action in the menu file it just gives me "undefined" in the nodelist...

Any ideas if this is even possible? I've rolled back all the additions I put in there but I'm still curious if this is doable as it would add a little more "flavor" to the whole experience.

That was the intention of "Custom node actions", see https://synchro.net/docs/customization.html#NodeActionText

Some of those aren't really used today, e.g. NodeActionBiXfer, so if you set that string in the text.dat to "at the bar" and then set the node action value to NODE_BXFR, that should accomplish what you're trying to achieve.

You should not need to edit nodedefs.js or text.js.
    --
    digital man (rob)

Breaking Bad quote #3:
    Please tell me: how much is enough? How big does this pile have to be? - Skyler Norco, CA WX: 56.5øF, 11.0% humidity, 4 mph W wind, 0.00 inches rain/24hrs
    ---
    þ Synchronet þ Vertrauen þ Home of Synchronet þ [vert/cvs/bbs].synchro.net
  • From Digital Man@VERT to Andrew Brook on Fri Mar 11 06:17:22 2022
    By: Digital Man to Andrew Brook on Fri Mar 11 2022 12:15 am

Also just a head's up, this is not really the right conference for Synchronet support questions. We have a lot of Synchronet-specific areas already in DOVE-Net and this isn't one of them. :-)
    --
    digital man (rob)

This Is Spinal Tap quote #26:
    David St. Hubbins: They were still booing him when we came on stage.
    Norco, CA WX: 56.5øF, 11.0% humidity, 4 mph W wind, 0.00 inches rain/24hrs
    ---
    þ Synchronet þ Vertrauen þ Home of Synchronet þ [vert/cvs/bbs].synchro.net
  • From Andrew Brook@VERT/TYCHOSTN to Digital Man on Fri Mar 11 16:52:19 2022
    By: Digital Man to Andrew Brook on Fri Mar 11 2022 00:15:56

That was the intention of "Custom node actions", see https://synchro.net/docs/customization.html#NodeActionText
    Some of those aren't really used today, e.g. NodeActionBiXfer, so if you set that string in the text.dat to "at the bar" and then set the node action value to NODE_BXFR, that should accomplish what you're trying to achieve.

Excellent, thank you for getting back to me. Sorry 'bout posting in the wrong area. :-)
    ---[ Andrew Brook ]-[ Tycho Station BBS ]------------------------------------- ---[ Expanse Theme ]-[ Usenet, Games, Email, Message Boards, IRC and more! ]-- ---[ Telnet: bbs.tychostation.it ]-[ Web Site: https://www.tychostation.it ]--

---
    þ Synchronet þ Tycho Station BBS - loosely, although hardly, based on the Expanse