• Re: Help me here .. I am confused ?

From Nightfox@VERT/ANARCHY/CRBBSNET to Spectre on Thu Dec 8 10:32:58 2022
    Re: Re: Help me here .. I am confused ?
    By: Spectre to Adept on Wed Dec 07 2022 03:06 am

What's something more "Australian" that you do consume?

To pop out of left field, there's always Bundaberg Ginger Beer, its a brewed softdrink.. no alcohol.. cold one on a hot day... hmmm also seens

I live in the US, and one day I saw a (supposedly Australian) ginger beer at a store and decided to try one. The flavor was very intense and strong, and almost gave me a stomach ache.. I thought it might be similar to ginger ale - I'm used to drinking Canada Dry ginger ale (and similar), which is more mild and sometimes I feel like that can help my stomach if I'm having stomach issues.

Nightfox
    --- SBBSecho 3.15-Linux
    * Origin: Digital Distortion: digdist.synchro.net (21:1/137)
    þ Synchronet þ fsxNet FTN<>QWK Gateway
  • From ogg@VERT/ANARCHY/CRBBSNET to Nightfox on Thu Dec 8 14:11:45 2022
    strong, and almost gave me a stomach ache.. I thought it might be
    similar to ginger ale - I'm used to drinking Canada Dry ginger ale (and similar), which is more mild and sometimes I feel like that can help my stomach if I'm having stomach issues.

Nightfox

This makes me think of Vernor's ginger ale!

ogg
    Sysop, Altair IV BBS
    altairiv.ddns.net:2323

... If you can't make it good, make it LOOK good. -Bill Gates.

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A48 2022/07/15 (Windows/64)
    * Origin: Altair IV BBS (21:2/147)
  • From Nightfox@VERT/ANARCHY/CRBBSNET to ogg on Thu Dec 8 12:22:20 2022
    Re: Re: Help me here .. I am confused ?
    By: ogg to Nightfox on Thu Dec 08 2022 02:11 pm

strong, and almost gave me a stomach ache.. I thought it might be
    similar to ginger ale - I'm used to drinking Canada Dry ginger ale
    (and similar), which is more mild and sometimes I feel like that can
    help my stomach if I'm having stomach issues.

This makes me think of Vernor's ginger ale!

I actually like Vernor's.

Nightfox
    --- SBBSecho 3.15-Linux
    * Origin: Digital Distortion: digdist.synchro.net (21:1/137)
  • From Spectre@VERT/ANARCHY/CRBBSNET to Nightfox on Fri Dec 9 14:15:00 2022
    I live in the US, and one day I saw a (supposedly Australian) ginger beer at a store and decided to try one. The flavor was very intense and strong, and almost gave me a stomach ache.. I thought it might be similar to ginger ale - I'm used to drinking Canada Dry ginger ale (and similar), which is more mild and sometimes I feel like that can help my stomach if I'm having stomach issues.

Odd ginger is generally considered to be a good thing for an upset stomach, even some of the travel sickness tablets have it in them. Its wildly
    different to ginger ale, which here is about 150% synthetic. Its probably a more intense taste, with less actual bite than ginger ale has. Not sure if
    our stomachs are made of sterner stuff or the brew you got is different to ours. I guess the question is, was it brewed locally or here? If its local then I can't really make much of a comparison, if its ex-Australia, then
    thats probably pretty much the way it is. I know its not everyones cup of
    tea. Bundaberg actually do a brewed sarsaparilla which isn't bad either.

Spec

*** THE READER V4.50 [freeware]
    --- SuperBBS v1.17-3 (Eval)
    * Origin: Good Luck and drive offensively! (21:3/101)
  • From Spectre@VERT/ANARCHY/CRBBSNET to Nightfox on Fri Dec 9 14:17:00 2022
    To pop out of left field, there's always Bundaberg Ginger Beer, its a

I forgot, there are other brands here of "brewed ginger beer". I think Bundy
    is generally accepted as the best. Some of the others vary from being close,
    to being like dishwater. Hmm Saxby can't think who else off hand for
    alternate brands.

Spec

• From Adept@VERT/ANARCHY/CRBBSNET to Spectre on Fri Dec 9 12:06:36 2022
    Yeah, I think it's just some backwards thing I heard about from Outba Steakhouse commercials at some point in time.

The little I've heard about Outback Steakhouse, it has nothing to do with Austraya mate...

Yeah. I figured it was more caricature than reality.

But I'm not sure if I've even eaten there, and if I have, it's been years.

Ha! Probably the biggest contribution to wine from Austraya, is the "Goon Bag", being the guts out of cask wine.. chuckle. Not much of a wine

That... doesn't sound either flattering or tasty, but _does_ sound entertaining.

enjoy is rather hard work. There are some wines out of WA that are meant to be flash, and we grow almost every grape variety there is, but some
    of our vin ordinaire is meant to punch above its weight.

I think most places that make wine end up with various places that can make very good wine.

To pop out of left field, there's always Bundaberg Ginger Beer, its a brewed softdrink.. no alcohol.. cold one on a hot day... hmmm also seens to work with some flavours of asian food.

Those I've had, never particularly thought of as Australian, and thought were quite good.

But I like ginger beers and root beers, with the spicier they are, the better.

good book, the odd port can be pretty spiffy too.

Interesting! Though, sadly, I think port is another thing that's especially lost on me -- fortified wines tend to be too sweet for me, or too high on the alcohol flavor.

But it does sound like a pleasant evening and scenario.

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A47 2021/12/24 (Linux/64)
    * Origin: Storm BBS (21:2/108)
  • From poindexter FORTRAN@VERT/ANARCHY/CRBBSNET to Spectre on Fri Dec 9 08:04:00 2022
    Spectre wrote to Adept <=-

That said, I do imagine there's some more-unique Australian wines out there, but my knowledge of Australian wine is mostly just mass-produced things that are unlikely to be sublime.

"quaffable, but not yet transcendent..."

Ha! Probably the biggest contribution to wine from Austraya, is the
    "Goon Bag", being the guts out of cask wine.. chuckle. Not much of a
    wine drinker either aside from the odd red occasionally. Finding a wine
    I enjoy is rather hard work. There are some wines out of WA that are
    meant to be flash, and we grow almost every grape variety there is, but some of our vin ordinaire is meant to punch above its weight.

Their Pinots noir are nice. I live on the California coast, and our climate
    is cool and moist, with lots of morning fog. All of the pinots here have the same presentation - lots of dark cherry. They're some of my favorites, as I suffer from Cabernet Sauvignon burnout - Napa Valley and sonoma got too
    oakey, too alcohol-laden.

What's something more "Australian" that you do consume?

To pop out of left field, there's always Bundaberg Ginger Beer, its a brewed softdrink.. no alcohol.. cold one on a hot day... hmmm also
    seens to work with some flavours of asian food.

One of my old callers went on the wagon and started drinking ginger beer at parties. They're distinctive.

He disappeared for a month off my BBS, and we wondered where he'd gone off
    to. He re-appeared with a post detailing all the things he'd learned when he stopped drinking. I don't remember any of them except number 5:

"I didn't realize until I stopped drinking that I DON'T KNOW HOW TO DANCE."

... Repetition is a form of change
    --- MultiMail/DOS v0.52
    * Origin: realitycheckBBS.org -- information is power. (21:4/122)
  • From Spectre@VERT/ANARCHY/CRBBSNET to Adept on Sat Dec 10 08:10:00 2022
    That... doesn't sound either flattering or tasty, but _does_ sound entertaining.

I think the original idea, was convenience and not using glass. But it
    became the home of the super budget wine brigade.. and the kind of customer that that attracts. So not very flattering and of dubious taste.

Those I've had, never particularly thought of as Australian, and thought were quite good.

I'm sure we're not the only ones that make it. We do have quite the ginger production going on in Queensland though and one of the side effects was starting up the Budderim Brewery, although its moved these days. So "Bundabarg" is probably a pretty Australian take on your ginger beer.

Interesting! Though, sadly, I think port is another thing that's especially lost on me -- fortified wines tend to be too sweet for me, or too high on the alcohol flavor.

It might be to hard, but you probably just need to find one that suits. They can vary wildly. You can also blend fortified wines to open up a whole new field. If you've got some to sweet and some to alcoholic you could just proportion it out for something that floats your boat.

In the same vein if you find something you like and its hiddeously expensive, you can buy a bottle of it, a larger quantity of something cheaper, and a bit o' brandy. Mix it all in a cask and let it sit for some time, you'll end up with something close to what you're looking for. :)

Spec

• From esc@VERT/ANARCHY/CRBBSNET to poindexter FORTRAN on Fri Dec 9 16:08:57 2022
    "quaffable, but not yet transcendent..."

I've come never to expect much from a Cab Franc and this one is no different...

Please tell me we're quoting the same brilliant film. :)

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A48 2022/07/11 (Linux/64)
    * Origin: m O N T E R E Y b B S . c O M (21:4/173)
  • From esc@VERT/ANARCHY/CRBBSNET to poindexter FORTRAN on Fri Dec 9 16:10:55 2022
    Their Pinots noir are nice. I live on the California coast, and our climate is cool and moist, with lots of morning fog. All of the pinots here have the same presentation - lots of dark cherry. They're some of
    my favorites, as I suffer from Cabernet Sauvignon burnout - Napa Valley and sonoma got too oakey, too alcohol-laden.

Oak is the American way :( It's all vanilla and no fruit. It's a bummer.

I've come to love Paso wines because of how well they taste like Rhone wines. I'm a Californian through and through but our wine in the USA is trash :P With exceptions, like...Paso!

Plus the GSM is the blend of the gods. I can drink GSM and nothing else for the
    rest of my days. Except, maybe, for a Burgundy pinot or a Jean Luis Chave Hermitage Rouge...but I digress.

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A48 2022/07/11 (Linux/64)
    * Origin: m O N T E R E Y b B S . c O M (21:4/173)