• Ports used by QWK?

From Toofargone@VERT/LOSTRLTY to All on Fri Apr 7 12:28:43 2023
    Hi all,

New to QWK and Dove-Net. I'm just wondering what ports QWK uses? So far I've seen 21, 1024, 1026 and 2000. Is that all or am I missing some? I've opened these up on my firewall and all seems to be good so far.

Thanks!

---
    þ Synchronet þ My Brand-New BBS
  • From Digital Man@VERT to Toofargone on Thu Apr 6 23:39:27 2023
    Re: Ports used by QWK?
    By: Toofargone to All on Fri Apr 07 2023 12:28 pm

Hi all,

New to QWK and Dove-Net. I'm just wondering what ports QWK uses? So far I've seen 21, 1024, 1026 and 2000. Is that all or am I missing some? I've opened these up on my firewall and all seems to be good so far.

QWK doesn't use any ports (it's just a file/packet format), but we use FTP by default for QWK packet transfers and FTP *servers* use ports 21 and 20 for active connections. But if you're a QWKnet *node* (not hub), then you're not using the FTP server for packet transfer, just a client.
    --
    digital man (rob)

Synchronet "Real Fact" #13:
    Synchronet was the first BBS software to ship with internal QWK networking Norco, CA WX: 53.7øF, 38.0% humidity, 0 mph NE wind, 0.00 inches rain/24hrs
    ---
    þ Synchronet þ Vertrauen þ Home of Synchronet þ [vert/cvs/bbs].synchro.net
  • From Zip@VERT/SCBBS to Toofargone on Fri Apr 7 09:36:00 2023
    Hello Toofargone!

On 07 Apr 2023, Toofargone said the following...
    New to QWK and Dove-Net. I'm just wondering what ports QWK uses? So far I' seen 21, 1024, 1026 and 2000. Is that all or am I missing some? I've opene these up on my firewall and all seems to be good so far.

I believe the usual way to exchange traffic for QWK networks is by sending/receiving QWK packets through passive FTP. Passive FTP is based on the assumption that you can connect to any service on the Internet, but not vice versa, i.e. you are firewalled and cannot accept incoming connections on an arbitrary port.

For passive FTP, all connections are initiated by you. The source port on/from your machine is usually an ephemeral TCP port (see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ephemeral_port for more info on those), i.e. a random and rather high-numbered port. On a Linux box, you should be able to issue the command

cat /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_local_port_range

...to view the range for those ports.

The destination port (at the hub) is usually TCP port 21 for "commands" (unless the hub has specified something else), plus a range of ports (decided by the hub) for the actual file transfers, e.g. 3900--3999.

To know the port range for the file transfers you would have to ask the hub, or, to avoid that (port ranges can be changed by the hub at any time without notice!), your firewall has to allow for any outgoing TCP traffic initiated by you and the packets flowing back to you over that connection.

The latter can be achieved by either allowing all TCP traffic from the outside whose packets are not marked as "new" (i.e. not having the TCP SYN flag) -- as the network stack should discard anything inappropriate = new that is not part of an existing connection -- or by some connection tracking feature, allowing "established" traffic (essentially the same thing).

See e.g. https://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/Network/IPTables#Writing_a_Simple_Rule_Set for tracking established/related connections, where "established" would be keeping track of the connections you initiate, and "related" would be extra "magic" needed if *you* were to host a service for a protocol like FTP (e.g. if you were the QWK hub).

Recent Linux distributions utilize different firewall packages (e.g. nftables), so the iptables example above might not be 100% applicable for your setup, but it gives a rough idea of the functionality needed.

Hope this helps!

Best regards
    Zip

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A49 2023/03/14 (Linux/64)
    * Origin: Star Collision BBS, Uppsala, Sweden
  • From KF5QEO@VERT/MAINLINE to Toofargone on Fri Apr 7 20:44:46 2023
    Re: Ports used by QWK?
    By: Toofargone to All on Fri Apr 07 2023 12:28 pm

New to QWK and Dove-Net. I'm just wondering what ports QWK uses? So far I've seen
    21, 1024, 1026 and 2000. Is that all or am I missing some? I've opened these up on
    my firewall and all seems to be good so far.
    QWK networking ftp's out to your hub, so unless your going to be a hub for
    another BBS, you don't need any ports open. However if you are a hub for another
    BBS, you'll need to ensure the ftp server is enabled, and that port 21 points to
    your server on your router.

---
    þ Synchronet þ KF5QEO's Shack -- kf5qeo.servebbs.net