• Adding Tech Talk group to Bbs

From Khronos@VERT/CWSHACK to All on Sun Jan 14 14:00:13 2024
    What do I need to do to add the latest group to my Dove-Net setup so that it will get added to the forums that are uploaded / downloaded when a callout runs?

---
    þ Synchronet þ Cw Shack Bbs telnet kf4yey.com 2330
  • From Digital Man@VERT to Khronos on Sun Jan 14 13:36:42 2024
    Re: Adding Tech Talk group to Bbs
    By: Khronos to All on Sun Jan 14 2024 02:00 pm

What do I need to do to add the latest group to my Dove-Net setup so that it will get added to the forums that are uploaded / downloaded when a callout runs?

Go to SCFG->Message Areas->DOVE-Net->Message Sub-boards...
    Wherever you like in the list, hit Ctrl-C, then Ctrl-V, then Enter to edit the newly pasted/duplicate entry (the one on top of the one you copied). Then change the Long Name, Short Name, QWK Name to "Tech Talk".
    ESC back to the main SCFG menu, saving changes.

Next, got to SCFG->Networks->QWK Packet Networks->Network Hubs->VERT->Networks Sub-boards...
    Hit the INSert key and then find/select the new DOVE-Net->Tech Talk sub-board. Enter 2022 as the "Conference Number on Hub". Select "Strip out" or "Leave in" for Ctrl-A Codes setting. (Strip out will be overriden by the default for the hub, which is "Leav in", so the result is the same either way).

The sub-boards should already be in your scan configuration on your hub (VERT), so that is all you should need to do.
    --
    digital man (rob)

Steven Wright quote #22:
    What happens if you get scared half to death twice?
    Norco, CA WX: 59.1øF, 57.0% humidity, 3 mph W wind, 0.00 inches rain/24hrs
    ---
    þ Synchronet þ Vertrauen þ Home of Synchronet þ [vert/cvs/bbs].synchro.net
  • From Khronos@VERT/CWSHACK to Digital Man on Sun Jan 14 17:08:20 2024
    By: Digital Man to Khronos on Sun Jan 14 2024 13:36:42

I figured it out. It took a while for me to run though my head the possible steps involved but I have the incoming feed now.

Thanks,

---
    þ Synchronet þ Cw Shack Bbs telnet kf4yey.com:2330
  • From Weatherman@VERT/TLCBBS to Digital Man on Mon Jan 22 15:59:19 2024

Go to SCFG->Message Areas->DOVE-Net->Message Sub-boards...
    Wherever you like in the list, hit Ctrl-C, then Ctrl-V, then Enter to edit the newly pasted/duplicate entry (the one on top of the one you copied). Then change the Long Name, Short Name, QWK Name to "Tech Talk".

Next, got to SCFG->Networks->QWK Packet Networks->Network Hubs->VERT->Networks Sub-boards...
    Hit the INSert key and then find/select the new DOVE-Net->Tech Talk sub-board. Enter 2022 as the "Conference Number on Hub". Select "Strip out" or "Leave in" for Ctrl-A Codes setting. (Strip out will be overriden by the default for the hub, which is "Leav in", so the result is the same either way).

The sub-boards should already be in your scan configuration on your hub (VERT), so that is all you should need to do.
    --
    digital man (rob)

I followed these steps and don't see any thing being downloaded on my feed. All the other message bases appear to be working properly except this one.

Do I need to log in to VERT and activate this in my QWK scan settings or something?

Regards,
    -==*>Weatherman<*==-

---
    þ Synchronet þ The Lost Chord BBS - Cheyenne, WY
  • From Digital Man@VERT to Weatherman on Mon Jan 22 18:15:15 2024
    Re: Re: Adding Tech Talk group to Bbs
    By: Weatherman to Digital Man on Mon Jan 22 2024 03:59 pm

I followed these steps and don't see any thing being downloaded on my feed. All the other message bases appear to be working properly except this one.

Do I need to log in to VERT and activate this in my QWK scan settings or something?

It should default to on, but you can login with your QWKnet account and check. --
    digital man (rob)

Breaking Bad quote #45:
    Tough love, all right? Here goes: You 2 suck at peddling meth. period. - Saul Norco, CA WX: 53.2øF, 95.0% humidity, 2 mph NW wind, 0.85 inches rain/24hrs
    ---
  • From Weatherman@VERT/TLCBBS to Digital Man on Sat Jan 27 02:01:00 2024
    Digital Man wrote to Weatherman <=-

It should default to on, but you can login with your QWKnet account and check. --
    digital man (rob)

I finally got it added. Stumbled upon something that allowed me to do it. In the process I also stumbled across the SYNCDATA message base and not
    recognizing it decided I had done something stupid and added it by accident and deleted it. I then decided that maybe the stupid thing I did was to delete something that I didn't know anything about so I checked the SynchroNet wiki
    and discovered that it needed to be there. I tried to manually create it which I did and I figured maybe if I did a confirmation of my BBS listing in the BBSList it would fix any errors. Things SEEM to be working well with the exception that now the SYNCDATA message base shows up in my listing of message bases when I log onto the BBS which is no big deal. If there is an approved/recommended method of restoring that though, would be handy to know. One other thing is that I have these errors when I use the check setup door:

Synchronet Check Setup v1.19
    Invoking: check_sysop
    Invoking: check_guest
    Invoking: check_user_names
    Invoking: check_user_passwords
    Invoking: check_qnet_tags
    Invoking: check_fido_origlines
    Invoking: check_bbs_list
    Invoking: check_syncdata
    Invoking: check_imsg_list
    Invoking: check_dove_net
    DOVE-Net: 23 sub-boards configured (instead of the expected: 21)
    Invoking: check_sub_cfgs
    Invoking: check_sub_codes
    Invoking: check_dir_codes
    Invoking: check_xtrn_codes
    Invoking: check_sockopts_ini
    1 issues discovered
    [Hit a key] U

I can't seem to find a way of reconciling the actual 23 message bases (including now the SYNCDATA base which previously was apparently hidden) with the expected 21. The sockopts_ini error is a mystery. Is this an instance where I need to run "scfg -f -a" ?

I know these questions are probably answered in the documentation somewhere but I sometimes get frustrated sifting through online docs. I'm one of those Neanderthals who like having a physical book in my hands. One of these days
    I'm gonna print out that Sychronet documentation! ;)

Should this be moved to the Synchronet Sysops area, do you think?

... "42? 7 and a half million years and all you can come up with is 42?!"
    --- MultiMail/Linux v0.49
    þ Synchronet þ The Lost Chord BBS - Cheyenne, WY
  • From Digital Man@VERT to Weatherman on Sat Jan 27 14:37:49 2024
    Re: Re: Adding Tech Talk grou
    By: Weatherman to Digital Man on Sat Jan 27 2024 02:01 am

Digital Man wrote to Weatherman <=-

digital man (rob)

I finally got it added. Stumbled upon something that allowed me to do it. In the process I also stumbled across the SYNCDATA message base and not recognizing it decided I had done something stupid and added it by accident and deleted it. I then decided that maybe the stupid thing I did was to delete something that I didn't know anything about so I checked the SynchroNet wiki and discovered that it needed to be there. I tried to manually create it which I did and I figured maybe if I did a confirmation of my BBS listing in the BBSList it would fix any errors. Things SEEM to be working well with the exception that now the SYNCDATA message base shows up in my listing of message bases when I log onto the BBS which is no big deal.

For a sysop, that's not a big deal, but it will trigger that chksetup warning you mention later.

If there is an approved/recommended method of restoring that though, would be handy to know.

The default settings in ctrl/msgs.ini can be seen here: https://gitlab.synchro.net/main/sbbs/-/blob/master/ctrl/msgs.ini

Compare against your msgs.ini file.

One other thing is that I have these errors when I use the
    check setup door:

Synchronet Check Setup v1.19
    Invoking: check_sysop
    Invoking: check_guest
    Invoking: check_user_names
    Invoking: check_user_passwords
    Invoking: check_qnet_tags
    Invoking: check_fido_origlines
    Invoking: check_bbs_list
    Invoking: check_syncdata
    Invoking: check_imsg_list
    Invoking: check_dove_net
    DOVE-Net: 23 sub-boards configured (instead of the expected: 21)

That's a stale check. Thanks for alerting me (so the expected should probably be 22 in that case). I think you're seeing 23 because you don't have the access requirement of the SYNCDATA sub-board configured as suggested/default:
    https://wiki.synchro.net/network:dove-net

Invoking: check_sub_cfgs
    Invoking: check_sub_codes
    Invoking: check_dir_codes
    Invoking: check_xtrn_codes
    Invoking: check_sockopts_ini
    1 issues discovered
    [Hit a key] U

I can't seem to find a way of reconciling the actual 23 message bases (including now the SYNCDATA base which previously was apparently hidden) with the expected 21. The sockopts_ini error is a mystery.

I don't see any sockopt_ini error. The issue being reported is just the one with the DOVE-Net subs.

Is this an instance where I need to run "scfg -f -a" ?

No.

I know these questions are probably answered in the documentation somewhere but I sometimes get frustrated sifting through online docs. I'm one of those Neanderthals who like having a physical book in my hands. One of these days I'm gonna print out that Sychronet documentation! ;)

That documentation changes rapidly, so anything you print will likely be stale pretty quickly.

Should this be moved to the Synchronet Sysops area, do you think?

Yeah, but this is fine.
    --
    digital man (rob)

Synchronet/BBS Terminology Definition #48:
    JSON = JavaScript Object Notation
    Norco, CA WX: 78.2øF, 20.0% humidity, 2 mph ESE wind, 0.00 inches rain/24hrs ---