• FTN feed for DOVE-Net

From Digital Man@VERT to All on Sun Jan 21 15:11:12 2024
    I get asked every once in a while how (or from whom) to get an FTN feed for DOVE-Net.

I've never really done that (that I recall), as I find FTN network management to be a hassle (creating/linking/de-linking nodes, cleaning up old outbound files, etc.).

Is anyone currently feeding DOVE-Net via FTN? What zone number you using? I know different folks have fed DOVE-Net via FTN over the years, but no official othernet zone was ever chosen that I'm aware of.
    --
    digital man (rob)

Rush quote #54:
    He'd love to spend the night in Zion, he's been a long, long while in Babylon Norco, CA WX: 59.5øF, 75.0% humidity, 3 mph W wind, 0.18 inches rain/24hrs
    ---
    þ Synchronet þ Vertrauen þ Home of Synchronet þ [vert/cvs/bbs].synchro.net
  • From Accession@VERT/PHARCYDE to Digital Man on Sun Jan 21 18:52:50 2024
    On 1/21/2024 11:11 PM, Digital Man -> All wrote:

I get asked every once in a while how (or from whom) to get an FTN feed for DOVE-Net.

I've never really done that (that I recall), as I find FTN network management to be a hassle (creating/linking/de-linking nodes, cleaning
    up old outbound files, etc.).

Is anyone currently feeding DOVE-Net via FTN? What zone number you
    using? I know different folks have fed DOVE-Net via FTN over the years, but no official othernet zone was ever chosen that I'm aware of.

I have been for quite some time now. I started doing it because Synchronet isn't my main hub for Fidonet and othernets, I use husky/binkd for that. So I pull Dovenet from Vert with my Synchronet BBS and then send everything over to my hub via FTN. I've fed like 3 people for a number of years (that don't have the ability to do QWK polling - usually using older BBS software).

I happen to be using 723 as the zone number, and I have no problem if you ever want/need to send them my way for a feed.

--
    Regards,
    Nick

... "Take my advice, I don't use it anyway."
    --- Mozilla Thunderbird
    * Origin: _thePharcyde distribution system (Wisconsin) (723:1/1.0)
    ­ Synchronet ­ thePharcyde_ telnet://bbs.pharcyde.org (Wisconsin)
  • From deon@VERT/ALTERANT to Digital Man on Mon Jan 22 11:53:26 2024
    Re: FTN feed for DOVE-Net
    By: Digital Man to All on Sun Jan 21 2024 03:11 pm

I've never really done that (that I recall), as I find FTN network management to be a hassle (creating/linking/de-linking nodes, cleaning up old outbound files, etc.).

That is a pain - which is why I created clrghouz. The goal is self service FTN feed...

Is anyone currently feeding DOVE-Net via FTN? What zone number you using? I know different folks have fed DOVE-Net via FTN over the years, but no official othernet zone was ever chosen that I'm aware of.

I'm using zone 12 for feeds, and only a handful.

From activity, I see that sometimes zone 723 is used.

...ëîåï

---
    þ Synchronet þ AnsiTEX bringing back videotex but with ANSI
  • From Dumas Walker@VERT/CAPCITY2 to DIGITAL MAN on Mon Jan 22 09:23:00 2024
    I happen to be using 723 as the zone number, and I have no problem if you ever
    ant/need to send them my way for a feed.

I am feeding 3 and have another asking. I am also using the 723 zone.

* SLMR 2.1a * Profanity, the language of computer professionals

---
    þ Synchronet þ CAPCITY2 * capcity2.synchro.net * Telnet/SSH:2022/Rlogin/HTTP
  • From Accession@VERT/PHARCYDE to Digital Man on Mon Jan 22 17:13:32 2024

This reminded me of a question I had for you. What are you using to gate SYNCDATA, SYNCHRONET, SYNC_PROGRAMMING, and SYNC_SYSOPS to Fidonet?

Whatever it is, Deuce's upside down question mark in his name seems to be causing some wierdness (=?unknown-8bit?q?Deuc=D0=B5 in the From field).

However, when I pull Dovenet from you via my Synchronet BBS and transfer it to my hub via FTN, it displays fine. Made me wonder if you were doing something different in regards to getting it over to Fidonet?

--
    Regards,
    Nick

--- Mozilla Thunderbird
    ­ Synchronet ­ thePharcyde_ telnet://bbs.pharcyde.org (Wisconsin)
  • From Digital Man@VERT to Accession on Mon Jan 22 18:11:18 2024
    By: Accession to Digital Man on Sun Jan 21 2024 06:52 pm

I have been for quite some time now. I started doing it because Synchronet isn't my main hub for Fidonet and othernets, I use husky/binkd for that. So I pull Dovenet from Vert with my Synchronet BBS and then send everything over to my hub via FTN. I've fed like 3 people for a number of years (that don't have the ability to do QWK polling - usually using older BBS software).

I happen to be using 723 as the zone number, and I have no problem if you ever want/need to send them my way for a feed.

Thanks!
    --
    digital man (rob)

Steven Wright quote #8:
    If you want the rainbow, you got to put up with the rain.
    Norco, CA WX: 53.2øF, 95.0% humidity, 2 mph NW wind, 0.85 inches rain/24hrs
    ---
  • From Digital Man@VERT to Accession on Mon Jan 22 18:14:48 2024
    By: Accession to Digital Man on Mon Jan 22 2024 05:13 pm

This reminded me of a question I had for you. What are you using to gate SYNCDATA, SYNCHRONET, SYNC_PROGRAMMING, and SYNC_SYSOPS to Fidonet?

SBBSecho. <shrug>

Whatever it is, Deuce's upside down question mark in his name seems to be causing some wierdness (=?unknown-8bit?q?Deuc=D0=B5 in the From field).

Uh... I'm not exporting (or converting to) quoted-printable text, so maybe that's something happening on your end?

However, when I pull Dovenet from you via my Synchronet BBS and transfer it to my hub via FTN, it displays fine. Made me wonder if you were doing something different in regards to getting it over to Fidonet?

Nope. That's a unicode character (a special 'e' he used to defeat IRC name alerts for him) and so the messages should be exported to FTN with CHRS: UTF-8.
    Other than that, nothing special.
    --
    digital man (rob)

Synchronet "Real Fact" #105:
    Synchronet YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/Synchronet
    Norco, CA WX: 53.2øF, 95.0% humidity, 2 mph NW wind, 0.85 inches rain/24hrs
    ---
  • From Accession@VERT/PHARCYDE to Digital Man on Mon Jan 22 21:42:24 2024
    On 1/23/2024 2:14 AM, Digital Man -> Accession wrote:

>> This reminded me of a question I had for you. What are you using to
    gate SYNCDATA, SYNCHRONET, SYNC_PROGRAMMING, and SYNC_SYSOPS to
    SBBSecho. <shrug>

>> Whatever it is, Deuce's upside down question mark in his name seems
    to be causing some wierdness (=?unknown-8bit?q?Deuc=D0=B5 in the
    From field).

Uh... I'm not exporting (or converting to) quoted-printable text, so
    maybe that's something happening on your end?

>> However, when I pull Dovenet from you via my Synchronet BBS and
    transfer it to my hub via FTN, it displays fine. Made me wonder if
    you were doing something different in regards to getting it over
    to Fidonet?

Nope. That's a unicode character (a special 'e' he used to defeat IRC
    name alerts for him) and so the messages should be exported to FTN with CHRS: UTF-8.

So the only difference I'm seeing here, is both of them have the CHRS: UTF-8 kludge, however, the one you're gating to Fidonet has:

Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii; format=flowed

... and the one I'm getting from you via Dovenet/QWK and gating it over my own FTN has:

Content-Type: text/plain; charset=utf-8; format=flowed

So I can't imagine that's something I'm doing here, unless I'm doing something different from you which is causing it to work better on my side. Are you possibly using the "Export ASCII Only" option in SCFG? Mine is set to no.

And FYI, this is when I read via a newsreader so maybe it's something that is not noticed on the BBS itself. *shrug*

--
    Regards,
    Nick

--- Mozilla Thunderbird
    þ Synchronet þ thePharcyde_ telnet://bbs.pharcyde.org (Wisconsin)
  • From Digital Man@VERT to Accession on Tue Jan 23 19:03:34 2024
    By: Accession to Digital Man on Mon Jan 22 2024 09:42 pm

On 1/23/2024 2:14 AM, Digital Man -> Accession wrote:

>> This reminded me of a question I had for you. What are you using to
    gate SYNCDATA, SYNCHRONET, SYNC_PROGRAMMING, and SYNC_SYSOPS to
    SBBSecho. <shrug>

>> Whatever it is, Deuce's upside down question mark in his name seems
    to be causing some wierdness (=?unknown-8bit?q?Deuc=D0=B5 in the
    From field).

Uh... I'm not exporting (or converting to) quoted-printable text, so maybe that's something happening on your end?

>> However, when I pull Dovenet from you via my Synchronet BBS and
    transfer it to my hub via FTN, it displays fine. Made me wonder if
    you were doing something different in regards to getting it over
    to Fidonet?

Nope. That's a unicode character (a special 'e' he used to defeat IRC name alerts for him) and so the messages should be exported to FTN with CHRS: UTF-8.

So the only difference I'm seeing here, is both of them have the CHRS: UTF-8 kludge, however, the one you're gating to Fidonet has:

Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii; format=flowed

... and the one I'm getting from you via Dovenet/QWK and gating it over my own FTN has:

Content-Type: text/plain; charset=utf-8; format=flowed

"Content-Type" isn't a FidoNet header field. Are you reading the echo via NNTP or something?

So I can't imagine that's something I'm doing here, unless I'm doing something different from you which is causing it to work better on my side.

Well, whatever you you're using to view the message is apparently adding Content-Type header fields and doing some quoted-printable encoding. These are "FidoNet things".

Are you possibly using the "Export ASCII Only" option in SCFG? Mine is set to no.

Mine are also set to "No".

And FYI, this is when I read via a newsreader so maybe it's something that is not noticed on the BBS itself. *shrug*

So maybe read the messages on the BBS, view the headers on the BBS, to see what's different.
    --
    digital man (rob)

Synchronet/BBS Terminology Definition #26:
    DSZ = DOS Send ZMODEM (by Chuck Forsberg)
    Norco, CA WX: 56.9øF, 77.0% humidity, 1 mph N wind, 0.01 inches rain/24hrs
    ---
  • From Accession@VERT/PHARCYDE to Digital Man on Tue Jan 23 21:48:52 2024
    On Wed, 24 Jan 2024 01:03:34 -0800, Digital Man -> Accession wrote:

>> Content-Type: text/plain; charset=utf-8; format=flowed

"Content-Type" isn't a FidoNet header field. Are you reading the echo via NNTP or something?

I don't remember saying anything about Fidonet headers? And yes, this is when I'm in my NNTP reader. However, see below since you asked for more information.

Well, whatever you you're using to view the message is apparently adding Content-Type header fields and doing some quoted-printable encoding. These are "FidoNet things".

>> And FYI, this is when I read via a newsreader so maybe it's something that
    >> is not noticed on the BBS itself. *shrug*

So maybe read the messages on the BBS, view the headers on the BBS, to see what's different.

On my Synchronet BBS, in the SYNC_PROGRAMMING echo on Fidonet, here is a screenshot, so it's not only NNTP readers that it's messing up on. It could very well be your uplink, if it isn't anything you're doing. I just figured I'd ask you about it, because I highly doubt your uplink has any idea on what the problem would be. Apologies for pointing it out to you. I didn't realize you would get defensive about it and start blaming "Fidonet things" and the way I'm doing thing here. *shrug*

https://pharcyde.org/Screenshot%202024-01-23%20213540.png

This is only on the Fidonet side. The same echo I get from you via QWK displays fine, otherwise (on the BBS) uses an upside down question mark, which I believe is intentional. Anyway, no big deal if you don't care.

Regards,
    Nick

--- Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:115.0) Gecko/20100101 Thunderb
    * Origin: _thePharcyde distribution system (Wisconsin) (723:1/1)
  • From Accession@VERT/PHARCYDE to Digital Man on Tue Jan 23 22:04:28 2024
    On Wed, 24 Jan 2024 01:03:34 -0800, Digital Man -> Accession wrote:

That said, it looks to be posted to Dovenet via "From protocol: HTTP" with a CP437 CHRS kludge, when it gets to Fidonet, it has a UTF-8 CHRS kludge.

"Fidonet things."

Regards,
    Nick

• From Accession@VERT/PHARCYDE to Digital Man on Wed Jan 24 21:55:18 2024
    On Wed, 24 Jan 2024 17:42:04 -0800, Digital Man -> Accession wrote:

The QWK packet configuration on your Synchronet hub (VERT) has the option to toggle UTF-8 support in messages. Is it on or off for your QWKnet account?

It's on. And as far as I know there's nothing wrong with DDMsgReader in this regard. I've never seen anything like this before.

When I download and process a QWK packet from VERT, it displays with an upside down question mark, which if I remember right, is what Synchronet is supposed to do if the character can't be displayed. This version of the message, if I'm not mistaken uses a UTF-8 character in his name, and the message has a CHRS: CP437 kludge. So mark this one as "maybe correct," yes? Even though I still have doubts about using a UTF-8 character with a CP437 kludge.

I also get SYNC_PROGRAMMING via Fidonet. The path on these specific messages is you, to Wilfred, to me. I don't doubt any of those 3 systems having proper UTF-8 support.

However, the same message when read on Fidonet now has a CHRS: UTF-8 kludge. So if a UTF-8 character was posted with a CP437 kludge, I would think that would break it already. Then when an attempt to translate it to UTF-8 is made, and possibly breaks it even more, No?

If the FTN messages with the UTF-8 character in the header are reaching your system with the "CHRS: UTF-8" kludge line in tact (view the message header stored in the message base to find out, e.g. using smbutil), then there's nothing wrong with my uplink or any other link along the way, but rather something wrong in the parsing/rendering of the message header on your BBS. I'm not saying there isn't a Synchronet issue at play here, just asking questions.

I think the problem is that if the character he's using in his name is a UTF-8 character, while the message is posted with a CHRS: CP437 kludge. This will break it immediately, won't it? After that, it doesn't matter what translations are done, as it's already messed up.

Or am I completely missing something here?

Regards,
    Nick

• From Nightfox@VERT/DIGDIST to Accession on Thu Jan 25 10:45:07 2024
    By: Accession to Digital Man on Wed Jan 24 2024 09:55 pm

It's on. And as far as I know there's nothing wrong with DDMsgReader in this regard. I've never seen anything like this before.

I think the problem is that if the character he's using in his name is a UTF-8 character, while the message is posted with a CHRS: CP437 kludge.

Quite a while ago, I had updated DDMsgReader to convert UTF-8 message text as needed if the client doesn't support UTF-8 (according to some messages I saw on Dove-Net about what to do for UTF-8 messages). But I don't think DDMsgReader is doing the same thing for things like the 'from' name, etc.. I'm planning to have a look at that, as I've seen Deuce's name appear the same way.

Nightfox

---
    þ Synchronet þ Digital Distortion: digitaldistortionbbs.com
  • From Digital Man@VERT to Accession on Thu Jan 25 12:28:46 2024
    By: Accession to Digital Man on Wed Jan 24 2024 09:55 pm

On Wed, 24 Jan 2024 17:42:04 -0800, Digital Man -> Accession wrote:

The QWK packet configuration on your Synchronet hub (VERT) has the option to toggle UTF-8 support in messages. Is it on or off for your QWKnet account?

Can you try another message reader, as a test? UTF-8 characters in message headers aren't all that common, so it's quite possible there's a bug in DDMsgReader in this regard.

When I download and process a QWK packet from VERT, it displays with an upside down question mark, which if I remember right, is what Synchronet is supposed to do if the character can't be displayed.

That (the upside down question mark) is the CP437 character Synchronet sends to the terminal or places in packets if the terminal is not a UTF-8 terminal or the packet recipient doesn't want (or can't support) UTF-8 and the UNICODE character doesn't have an equivalent translation in Synchronet, so yes, that's expected. If the QWK packet configuration for the user/node downloading a QWK packet is configured with UTF-8 disabled, then this conversion would happen at the time the QWK packet is created.

This version of the
    message, if I'm not mistaken uses a UTF-8 character in his name, and the message has a CHRS: CP437 kludge. So mark this one as "maybe correct," yes?

If there's a UTF-8 character in the header (e.g. the from field) - you can verify this using smbutil, then the message should (or be exported to FTN with) a CHRS: UTF-8 kludge. If it's an actual CP437 upsidedown question mark in the header field, the CHRS: CP437 is the correct FTN kludge.

Even though I still have doubts about using a UTF-8 character with a CP437 kludge.

If it's an actual UTF-8 character (which is multiple bytes, not one), then the presence of a CP437 kludge would be incorrect. That should not happen.

I also get SYNC_PROGRAMMING via Fidonet. The path on these specific messages is you, to Wilfred, to me. I don't doubt any of those 3 systems having proper UTF-8 support.

However, the same message when read on Fidonet now has a CHRS: UTF-8 kludge. So if a UTF-8 character was posted with a CP437 kludge, I would think that would break it already. Then when an attempt to translate it to UTF-8 is made, and possibly breaks it even more, No?

Yes. But first you have to determine if the character in the header is actually UTF-8 or not. 'smbutil' is the tool to use to do that. I suspect it is not (in the case of the QWK-imported message), so the CP437 kludge would be correct.

If the FTN messages with the UTF-8 character in the header are reaching your system with the "CHRS: UTF-8" kludge line in tact (view the message header stored in the message base to find out, e.g. using smbutil), then there's nothing wrong with my uplink or any other link along the way, but rather something wrong in the parsing/rendering of the message header on your BBS. I'm not saying there isn't a Synchronet issue at play here, just asking questions.

I think the problem is that if the character he's using in his name is a UTF-8 character, while the message is posted with a CHRS: CP437 kludge. This will break it immediately, won't it?

The messages in question, when posted on Vertrauen, don't actually include a CHRS kludge at all. The CHRS kludge is created/added at the time the message is exported to a FTN or imported from an FTN or QWK network. So the fact that you see different CHRS kludge for the same message imported via different message network types, isn't necessarily surprising.

When I look at your QWKnet account (PHARCYDE) on Vertrauen, I see it is in fact configured to convert UTF-8 to CP437 chars:

[U] Include UTF-8 Characters : No

This is contrary to what you said above "It's on".

So the QWK-imported message appears as expected, without any UTF-8 chars.

After that, it doesn't matter what
    translations are done, as it's already messed up.

Or am I completely missing something here?

I suspect if you change your QWK packet configuration on Vertrauen to include UTF-8 chars, you'll see the same behavior between the DOVE-Net and FidoNet versions of these same messages, that later of which I understand you're having problem viewing correctly with DDMsgReader. I'm not clear if there's an actual Synchronet problem with those messages imported via FTN or not, but there does not appear to be any problem with the messages imported via QWK based on what I've researched and described above.

All that said, what's with your accusations of me being defensive and not caring? We're just going to pretend that didn't happen? Is this how you normally treat people that are trying to help you?
    --
    digital man (rob)

Rush quote #43:
    Summers going fast nights growing colder children growing up old friends, older Norco, CA WX: 60.4øF, 69.0% humidity, 2 mph WNW wind, 0.00 inches rain/24hrs ---
  • From Accession@VERT/PHARCYDE to Digital Man on Thu Jan 25 17:24:50 2024
    On Thu, 25 Jan 2024 18:28:46 -0800, Digital Man -> Accession wrote:

When I look at your QWKnet account (PHARCYDE) on Vertrauen, I see it is in fact configured to convert UTF-8 to CP437 chars:

SCFG > Networks > QWK Packet Networks > Network Hubs > VERT > Include UTF-8 Characters = Yes.

Also all sub-boards (QWK, FTN, all of them) have UTF-8 enabled here.

Or is that setting for when I send messages to you via QWK?

This is what I thought you were referring to. I had no idea I had to set it on your BBS also. Not really sure I've ever had to do that before, either. Thanks for the heads up.

I suspect if you change your QWK packet configuration on Vertrauen to include UTF-8 chars, you'll see the same behavior between the DOVE-Net and FidoNet versions of these same messages, that later of which I understand you're having problem viewing correctly with DDMsgReader. I'm not clear if there's an actual Synchronet problem with those messages imported via FTN or not, but there does not appear to be any problem with the messages imported via QWK based on what I've researched and described above.

Changed now on VERT. We will see.

All that said, what's with your accusations of me being defensive and not caring? We're just going to pretend that didn't happen? Is this how you normally treat people that are trying to help you?

At first, it didn't seem at all that you were trying to help, but rather blowing me off by blaming me in every which way you could. Some of your responses to me (in the past as well) occasionally come off (whether it's meant or not) quite condescending.

Apologies for taking some of the things you say the wrong way. Sometimes text is hard to figure out how one is speaking to another, and I put my guard up when I thought you were doing the same. This definitely isn't the first time, and probably won't be the last. :(

Regards,
    Nick

• From Digital Man@VERT to Accession on Thu Jan 25 17:21:25 2024
    By: Accession to Digital Man on Thu Jan 25 2024 05:24 pm

On Thu, 25 Jan 2024 18:28:46 -0800, Digital Man -> Accession wrote:

SCFG > Networks > QWK Packet Networks > Network Hubs > VERT > Include UTF-8 Characters = Yes.

Also all sub-boards (QWK, FTN, all of them) have UTF-8 enabled here.

Or is that setting for when I send messages to you via QWK?

Correct.

This is what I thought you were referring to. I had no idea I had to set it on your BBS also. Not really sure I've ever had to do that before, either. Thanks for the heads up.

Changed now on VERT. We will see.

At first, it didn't seem at all that you were trying to help, but rather blowing me off by blaming me in every which way you could. Some of your responses to me (in the past as well) occasionally come off (whether it's meant or not) quite condescending.

Apologies for taking some of the things you say the wrong way. Sometimes text is hard to figure out how one is speaking to another, and I put my guard up when I thought you were doing the same. This definitely isn't the first time, and probably won't be the last. :(

Okay, thanks for acknowleding it. Hopefully it will be the last time. I definitely *am* trying to help you. I'm not sure why we're having this conversation in "DOVE-Net Sysops" (not really the right conference for Synchronet help) either.
    --
    digital man (rob)

Synchronet "Real Fact" #78:
    Synchronet Match Maker had at one time over 4000 profiles of men and women Norco, CA WX: 58.1øF, 79.0% humidity, 4 mph WNW wind, 0.00 inches rain/24hrs ---
  • From Accession@VERT/PHARCYDE to Digital Man on Thu Jan 25 21:39:58 2024
    On Thu, 25 Jan 2024 23:21:24 -0800, Digital Man -> Accession wrote:

Okay, thanks for acknowleding it. Hopefully it will be the last time. I definitely *am* trying to help you. I'm not sure why we're having this conversation in "DOVE-Net Sysops" (not really the right conference for Synchronet help) either.

I brought it up here because at the time I thought it was a Dovenet related problem. Whether it was QWK vs gated to Fidonet - it involved something I saw on Dovenet. Now, as a sysop, and not knowing what the problem was to begin with, didn't really give me a chance to narrow it down to a more specific sub-board to post it on, since I wasn't reporting a bug - only asking a Dovenet Sysop related question about something. Even the fix to my problem, was related to a new QWK setting for.. Dovenet. Therefore, the Dovenet Sysop sub-board was my best (generalized) guess/choice at the time to talk about something that involved an experience with Dovenet, and I didn't really see any other Dovenet related sub-boards that the question would have fit better in. *shrug*

If that paragraph didn't help keep or even put this thread on topic, I don't know what will. ;)

Regards,
    Nick

• From Digital Man@VERT to Accession on Thu Jan 25 23:00:54 2024
    By: Accession to Digital Man on Thu Jan 25 2024 09:39 pm

asking a Dovenet Sysop related question about something. Even the fix to my problem

So the problem is fixed?

was related to a new QWK setting for.. Dovenet.

I think you're conflating QWK networking and DOVE-Net. They are not synonymous.

Oh well, glad to hear the problem is fixed (?).
    --
    digital man (rob)

Synchronet/BBS Terminology Definition #19:
    DCD = Data Carrier Detect
    Norco, CA WX: 51.5øF, 91.0% humidity, 0 mph W wind, 0.00 inches rain/24hrs
    ---
  • From MRO@VERT/BBSESINF to Accession on Fri Jan 26 08:03:04 2024
    By: Accession to Digital Man on Thu Jan 25 2024 05:24 pm

eh, didn't look like that to me.

btw, do you mean to have your tagline like this? https://i.imgur.com/9PDdtFS.png
    ---
    þ Synchronet þ ::: BBSES.info - free BBS services :::
  • From Accession@VERT/PHARCYDE to Accession on Fri Jan 26 15:41:46 2024
    On Fri, 26 Jan 2024 21:32:26 -0600, Accession -> Mro wrote:

I see a color change in the TEARLINE, which ends in the QWK TEARLINE. Is that what you're referring to?

My bad, that would be two origin lines, not tear lines. Either way, my guess is that something you're using is translating "_" as a color code.

Regards,
    Nick

• From MRO@VERT/BBSESINF to Accession on Fri Jan 26 17:14:20 2024
    By: Accession to Accession on Fri Jan 26 2024 03:41 pm

I see a color change in the TEARLINE, which ends in the QWK TEARLINE. Is that what you're referring to?

My bad, that would be two origin lines, not tear lines. Either way, my guess is that something you're using is translating "_" as a color code.

yeah i exported it and looked at it and just saw the _ there.
    not sure what synchronet is doing.
    ---
  • From Digital Man@VERT to MRO on Fri Jan 26 16:38:07 2024
    By: MRO to Accession on Fri Jan 26 2024 05:14 pm

By: Accession to Accession on Fri Jan 26 2024 03:41 pm

This: https://wiki.synchro.net/ref:markup
    --
    digital man (rob)

This Is Spinal Tap quote #2:
    Nigel Tufnel: Well, this piece is called "Lick My Love Pump".
    Norco, CA WX: 70.7øF, 18.0% humidity, 3 mph NNE wind, 0.00 inches rain/24hrs ---
  • From Accession@VERT/PHARCYDE to MRO on Fri Jan 26 19:24:10 2024
    On Fri, 26 Jan 2024 23:14:20 -0600, Mro -> Accession wrote:

No idea. After I sent that message, I thought maybe you were wondering why there were two origin lines from my system, and maybe you highlighted the text in question instead. But, at least it's not me this time. :D

Regards,
    Nick

• From MRO@VERT/BBSESINF to Accession on Sat Jan 27 05:43:05 2024
    By: Accession to MRO on Fri Jan 26 2024 07:24 pm

On Fri, 26 Jan 2024 23:14:20 -0600, Mro -> Accession wrote:

No idea. After I sent that message, I thought maybe you were wondering why there were two origin lines from my system, and maybe you highlighted the text in question instead. But, at least it's not me this time. :D

Regards,
    Nick

i believe it is a feature that should be removed!
    ---
  • From Accession@VERT/PHARCYDE to MRO on Sat Jan 27 06:41:16 2024
    On Sat, 27 Jan 2024 11:43:04 -0600, Mro -> Accession wrote:

>> No idea. After I sent that message, I thought maybe you were wondering why
    >> there were two origin lines from my system, and maybe you highlighted the
    >> text in question instead. But, at least it's not me this time. :D

It can be, by you.

According to the link DM posted, it's a per sub-board option in SCFG that is by default disabled. You must have enabled it.

"The default behavior is currently not to parse and apply Markup Codes in displayed message text."

However, that feature probably shouldn't be allowed in control lines or tear/origin lines. But that's not up to me.

Regards,
    Nick

• From MRO@VERT/BBSESINF to Accession on Sat Jan 27 13:29:07 2024
    By: Accession to MRO on Sat Jan 27 2024 06:41 am

It can be, by you.

According to the link DM posted, it's a per sub-board option in SCFG that is by default disabled. You must have enabled it.

"The default behavior is currently not to parse and apply Markup Codes in displayed message text."

here's what i have for that sub
    Toggle Options Ý
    -------------------------------------Ý
    ?ÝPost Using Real Names No Ý
    ÝUsers Can Edit Posts Yes Ý
    ÝUsers Can Delete Posts Last Ý
    ÝDefault On for New Scan Yes Ý
    ÝForced On for New Scan Yes Ý
    ÝDefault On for Your Scan Yes Ý
    ÝPublic 'To' User Yes Ý
    ÝAllow Message Voting No Ý
    ÝAllow Message Quoting Yes Ý
    ÝAllow Message Tagging No Ý
    ÝSuppress User Signatures No Ý
    ÝPermanent Operator Msgs No Ý
    ÝCompress Messages (LZH) Yes Ý
    ÝApply Markup Codes Hide Ý <<---
    ÝExtra Attribute Codes Yes Ý
    ?ÝWord-wrap Messages Yes Ý
    -------------------------------------+

so i shouldn't SEE them, right?

but when i go in there it says
    [Ý][?]--------------------------------------+
    Interpret/Display Markup Codes in Messages Ý --------------------------------------------Ý
    ÝYes Ý
    ÝYes and Hide the Markup Characters Ý
    ÝNo Ý --------------------------------------------+

to me, having it set to hide means you won't see them.
    i didn't know about this feature and didn't turn it on.

i think there needs to be a bit of a change with the wording in scfg but honestly this is the first time i've ever seen it happen.

bbses.info is defunct and I don't really mess around with settings.
    this setting is new to me, not sure how it got toggled.
    ---
  • From Digital Man@VERT to MRO on Sat Jan 27 14:40:22 2024
    By: MRO to Accession on Sat Jan 27 2024 01:29 pm

here's what i have for that sub
    Toggle Options Ý -------------------------------------Ý
    ?ÝPost Using Real Names No Ý
    ÝUsers Can Edit Posts Yes Ý
    ÝUsers Can Delete Posts Last Ý
    ÝDefault On for New Scan Yes Ý
    ÝForced On for New Scan Yes Ý
    ÝDefault On for Your Scan Yes Ý
    ÝPublic 'To' User Yes Ý
    ÝAllow Message Voting No Ý
    ÝAllow Message Quoting Yes Ý
    ÝAllow Message Tagging No Ý
    ÝSuppress User Signatures No Ý
    ÝPermanent Operator Msgs No Ý
    ÝCompress Messages (LZH) Yes Ý
    ÝApply Markup Codes Hide Ý <<---
    ÝExtra Attribute Codes Yes Ý
    ?ÝWord-wrap Messages Yes Ý -------------------------------------+

so i shouldn't SEE them, right?

You're not seeing the markup codes, but you are seeing their effect.

but when i go in there it says
    [Ý][?]--------------------------------------+
    Interpret/Display Markup Codes in Messages Ý --------------------------------------------Ý
    ÝYes Ý
    ÝYes and Hide the Markup Characters Ý
    ÝNo Ý --------------------------------------------+

And you're not seeing them. If you don't want the markup codes interrpted/parsed/applied, set this to "No" and then you will see the codes/symbols.
    --
    digital man (rob)

Synchronet/BBS Terminology Definition #80:
    SyncTERM = The Synchronet Terminal Emulator/BBS-client program
    Norco, CA WX: 78.2øF, 20.0% humidity, 2 mph ESE wind, 0.00 inches rain/24hrs ---
  • From MRO@VERT/BBSESINF to Digital Man on Sat Jan 27 17:23:29 2024
    By: Digital Man to MRO on Sat Jan 27 2024 02:40 pm

And you're not seeing them. If you don't want the markup codes interrpted/parsed/applied, set this to "No" and then you will see the codes/symbols.

so shouldn't these be in the extra attribute codes section
    in message options?
    É[þ][?]ÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍ» º°°°°°°°°º ³Allow Quoting in E-mail Yes º Extra Attribute Codes º º°°°°°°°°º ³Allow Uploads in E-mail Yes ÌÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍ͹ º°°°°°°°°º ³Allow Forwarding to NetMail Yes º ³WWIV No º º°°°°°°°°º ³Kill Read E-mail No º ³PCBoard No º º°°°°°°°°º ³Receive E-mail by Real Name Yes º ³Wildcat No º º°°°°°°°°º ³Include Signatures in E-mail Yes º ³Celerity No º º°°°°°°°°º ³Users Can View Deleted Messages No º ³Renegade Yes º º°°°°°°°°º ³Days of New Messages for Guest 0 ÈÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍͼ º°°°°°°°°º ³Extra Attribute Codes...
    ---
  • From Digital Man@VERT to MRO on Sat Jan 27 16:22:12 2024
    By: MRO to Digital Man on Sat Jan 27 2024 05:23 pm

By: Digital Man to MRO on Sat Jan 27 2024 02:40 pm

in message options?

Not unless a sysop wants to disable them globally. I think per-sub makes more sense. And they're not really attribute codes in the same sense that "pipe codes" and such are.
    --
    digital man (rob)

Steven Wright quote #17:
    Ambition is a poor excuse for not having enough sense to be lazy.
    Norco, CA WX: 76.3øF, 22.0% humidity, 7 mph NNE wind, 0.00 inches rain/24hrs ---
  • From MRO@VERT/BBSESINF to Digital Man on Sun Jan 28 13:36:55 2024
    By: Digital Man to MRO on Sat Jan 27 2024 04:22 pm

in message options?

Not unless a sysop wants to disable them globally. I think per-sub makes more sense. And they're not really attribute codes in the same sense that "pipe codes" and such are.

total crap feature, you should take it out. I don't see why anybody would want it, use it or even suggest it.

is there a word or expression in programming for useless additions that people suggest, just to try to be productive and meaningful? they are like a reverse askhole.

i always wondered because that happend a lot with l.o.r.d. people that had no good ideas would just come up with ideas and submit them, and preslar would add them to just make it seem like lord was being actively developed. some of those additions would backfire and make the overall experience worse.
    ---
  • From Digital Man@VERT to MRO on Sun Jan 28 13:08:24 2024
    By: MRO to Digital Man on Sun Jan 28 2024 01:36 pm

total crap feature, you should take it out. I don't see why anybody would want it, use it or even suggest it.

As it says in the SCFG help:

Markup codes are called 'StyleCodes' in GoldEd, 'Rich Text' in SemPoint,
    and 'Structured Text' in Mozilla/Thunderbird.

I didn't invent them, but might as well support them, optionally.
    --
    digital man (rob)

Sling Blade quote #5:
    Karl Childers (to father): You ought not killed my little brother...
    Norco, CA WX: 80.1øF, 22.0% humidity, 2 mph E wind, 0.00 inches rain/24hrs
    ---