• Java Programming.

From Phoenix@VERT/COMNET to All on Fri Jan 1 06:00:07 2016
    Happy New Year to you all ;)

Im new to programming and looking to make it my new years mission to learn a programming language.

The two I looked at was Python & Java.

I think i have settled on Java as this is more powerful (So Im Told) as it
    can run on more systems.

Are there any good books I should be looking at or that someone would
    recommend for a total beginner.

My only programming I have done was on a BBC Micro at school about 20 years
    ago on Basic doing simple For Next loops and print.

Any help would be great,

Phoenix.

---
    þ Synchronet þ ComNet BBS - 86.43.113.93
  • From Nightfox@VERT/DIGDIST to Phoenix on Thu Dec 31 23:10:12 2015

Happy New Year to you too :)

Im new to programming and looking to make it my new years mission to learn a programming language.

I think either of those would be good as a first programming language, but why only those two? I think C# is also a fairly good language. Also, although C++ is an older language, C++ is still used fairly commonly, and updates to the C++ standard are even happening more frequently now than in the past. C++ also has some features that other languages don't (such as multiple inheritance and more direct memory management), so it can be worthwhile to look at C++ to get an understanding of some of those concepts.

I think i have settled on Java as this is more powerful (So Im Told) as it can run on more systems.

I suppose technically, Java does run on more systems (I've heard of it being supported even in some embedded systems), but I'm not sure that matters a whole lot for a beginner. There are Python interpreters for Windows, Linux, UNIX, and Mac OS X, so if you're just starting to get into programming, you would certainly be able to use Python easily if you wanted to.

I've heard that Java is faster than Python, but as far as being more powerful, I'm not sure about that (and that also depends on what is meant by "powerful"). Python has a fairly large selection of modules and libraries to choose from; however, Python 3 broke some backwards compatibility, and I've heard there aren't as many Python 3 libraries to choose from as for Python 2.

One advantage I can think of for Java (although not directly related to the Java language) is that if you feel like you might want to develop Android apps, Java would probably be the way to go, since Java is the main language used for Android app development. Other mobile devices use different programming languages though - For instance, for iOS you would use Objective-C and/or Swift (which is Apple's new language that they released in 2014).

Nightfox

---
    þ Synchronet þ Digital Distortion: digitaldistortionbbs.com
  • From Darkages@VERT to All on Fri Nov 18 18:22:11 2016
    On 2016-01-01 12:00 AM, Phoenix wrote:

I think i have settled on Java as this is more powerful (So Im Told) as it can run on more systems.

Are there any good books I should be looking at or that someone would recommend for a total beginner.

My only programming I have done was on a BBC Micro at school about 20 years ago on Basic doing simple For Next loops and print.

Any help would be great,

Phoenix.

---
    � Synchronet � ComNet BBS - 86.43.113.93

Java is great. It has a lekker syntax as well.

---
    þ Synchronet þ DarkAges BBS | darkagesbbs.com | 1:19/25 | Wayne, OK
    þ Synchronet þ Vertrauen þ Home of Synchronet þ [vert/cvs/bbs].synchro.net
  • From Meh@VERT/NIMBUS to Darkages on Fri Nov 18 22:40:36 2016
    Re: Re: Java Programming.
    By: Darkages to All on Fri Nov 18 2016 10:22 am

My only programming I have done was on a BBC Micro at school about 20 year ago on Basic doing simple For Next loops and print.
    I learn BASIC in the mid 70's,back when punch cards and teletypes were common. Learned using HP Time-Share BASIC. Entered programs to the mainframe via Teletype 33's. We saved our programs on paper tapes. I miss those days ;-) Ralph Smole,Sysop.
    The Nimbus BBS
    Briar,TX

---
    þ Synchronet þ Nimbus BBS - nimbus.synchro.net
  • From Deavmi@VERT/EWBBS to Meh on Sat Nov 19 19:58:18 2016
    On 2016-11-18 10:40 PM, Meh wrote:

My only programming I have done was on a BBC Micro at school about 20 year
    ago on Basic doing simple For Next loops and print.
    I learn BASIC in the mid 70's,back when punch cards and teletypes were common.
    Learned using HP Time-Share BASIC. Entered programs to the mainframe via Teletype 33's. We saved our programs on paper tapes. I miss those days ;-) Ralph Smole,Sysop.
    The Nimbus BBS
    Briar,TX

---
    � Synchronet � Nimbus BBS - nimbus.synchro.net

Wow, paper tapes.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:PaperTapes-5and8Hole.jpg

And to think that those simple holes have such a bigger meaning to a
    computer than they do to a human.

---
    þ Synchronet þ Electronic Warfare BBS | telnet://bbs.ewbbs.net
  • From Chris@VERT/DMINE to Meh on Thu Nov 24 07:32:05 2016
    By: Meh to Darkages on Fri Nov 18 2016 02:40 pm

My only programming I have done was on a BBC Micro at school about 20 y ago on Basic doing simple For Next loops and print.
    I learn BASIC in the mid 70's,back when punch cards and teletypes were commo Learned using HP Time-Share BASIC. Entered programs to the mainframe via Teletype 33's. We saved our programs on paper tapes. I miss those days ;-) Ralph Smole,Sysop.
    The Nimbus BBS
    Briar,TX

I remember starting with the DECB Basic (a variant of Microsoft Basic) on the Color Computer. Eventually I moved up to OS-9 Level II which had Basic09. I loved that version of the language. There have been others similar to it. The syntax seemed like a cross between Basic and Pascal.

------------------------------------------------------------------
    CDP
    The Diamond Mine BBS - telnet://bbs.dmine.net
    The Retro Room - http://forums.delphiforums.com/retroroom ------------------------------------------------------------------

---
    þ Synchronet þ Diamond Mine Online - bbs.dmine.net - Fredericksburg, VA USA