• What was your first progr

From Jon Justvig@VERT/STEPPING to Nightfox on Mon Aug 12 01:55:00 2013
    Nightfox had something to say to Jon Justvig <=-

Re: What was your first progr
    By: Jon Justvig to All on Sat Aug 10 2013 21:10:00

My first programming language was BASIC. I learned a little bit while my dad would bring home Computer Gazette and Ahoy! magazines from the grocery market. I would practice reading the code on paper then put it into action on my dad's computer. It was a lot of fun. Not really know what I was doing some of the time, it didn't always come out exactly as expected.

My dad showed me one of those programming examples in a computer
    magazine once when I was around 11-12 years old. I thought it was
    cool, but I felt that I didn't really learn much by typing in someone else's code. It can be useful to learn from other peoples' code though
    - but I sometimes tend to get lost in other peoples' code since I don't know what their thought process was when they were designing the
    program and writing the code.

That's cool your dad showed you programming examples. It is good to learn by example at times, especially when you're new to it. I don't remember my exact age, but it was around your age at the time too. It was fun and if I could do it all over again, I would have not made so many time gaps in between programming periods. And, if you were to include comments in your code then it might make things a bit more clear if you were to work with your sources together with others.

... If God wanted me to touch my toes, he would have put them on my knees.
    --- MultiMail/Win32 v0.49
    þ Synchronet þ Stepping Stone BBS -- vintagebbsing.com
  • From Nightfox@VERT/DIGDIST to Jon Justvig on Mon Aug 12 03:29:53 2013
    By: Jon Justvig to Nightfox on Sun Aug 11 2013 18:55:00

in between programming periods. And, if you were to include comments in your code then it might make things a bit more clear if you were to work with your sources together with others.

Yes, I think comments in the code are very important. There's nothing worse than trying to read some code that doesn't have any comments at all and not understanding what it's supposed to be doing.

Nightfox

---
    þ Synchronet þ Digital Distortion BBS - digitaldistortionbbs.com
  • From Access Denied@VERT/PHARCYDE to Nightfox on Mon Aug 12 05:16:49 2013
    By: Nightfox to Jon Justvig on Sun Aug 11 2013 02:29 pm

My dad showed me one of those programming examples in a computer magazine once when I was around 11-12 years old. I thought it was cool, but I felt that I didn't really learn much by typing in someone else's code. It can be useful to learn from other peoples' code though - but I sometimes tend to get lost in other peoples' code since I don't know what their thought process was when they were designing the program and writing the code.

That's acceptable coming from someone that can code themself. I've witnessed your stuff firsthand, and you're damn good at what you do.

On the other hand, my *only* experience in the coding world is to read other people's code, realize what they're doing, and modify it to do what I want it to do. So I guess it can work both ways, and can be beneficial as well. But I'm one of those that if I open a clean slate with the intention of coding something, I draw blanks, and go nowhere with it. :(

Regards,
    Nick

---
    þ Synchronet þ thePharcyde_ >> telnet://bbs.pharcyde.org (Wisconsin)
  • From Jon Justvig@VERT/STEPPING to Access Denied on Mon Aug 12 12:41:00 2013
    Access Denied had something to say to Nightfox <=-

By: Nightfox to Jon Justvig on Sun Aug 11 2013 02:29 pm

My dad showed me one of those programming examples in a computer magazine once when I was around 11-12 years old. I thought it was cool, but I felt that I didn't really learn much by typing in someone else's code. It can be useful to learn from other peoples' code though - but I sometimes tend to get lost in other peoples' code since I don't know what their thought process was when they were designing the program and writing the code.

That's acceptable coming from someone that can code themself. I've witnessed your stuff firsthand, and you're damn good at what you do.

I second that notion!

On the other hand, my *only* experience in the coding world is to read other people's code, realize what they're doing, and modify it to do
    what I want it to do. So I guess it can work both ways, and can be beneficial as well. But I'm one of those that if I open a clean slate
    with the intention of coding something, I draw blanks, and go nowhere
    with it. :(

My recommendation would be to start from the ground up and just build, add to it as you go...or, do some planning/designing at what you're wanting to do and go from there. Right now, I'm with you as far a blank, I've done a lot of work with my door game Legion and now that's it's been sitting there for months on the burning waiting to cook, there's no fire! I'm not sure what to do with it at this point.

... A seminar on time travel will be held two weeks ago.
    þ Synchronet þ Stepping Stone BBS -- vintagebbsing.com
  • From Nightfox@VERT/DIGDIST to Access Denied on Tue Aug 13 02:03:16 2013
    By: Access Denied to Nightfox on Sun Aug 11 2013 22:16:49

Thanks :) I enjoy contributing to the BBS community; I'm glad my add-ons and utilities are useful for others.

On the other hand, my *only* experience in the coding world is to read other people's code, realize what they're doing, and modify it to do what I want it to do. So I guess it can work both ways, and can be beneficial as well. But I'm one of those that if I open a clean slate with the intention of coding something, I draw blanks, and go nowhere with it. :(

That's true, I've had a look at other peoples' code as well to get some help with some things.

Nightfox

---
  • From Access Denied@VERT/PHARCYDE to Nightfox on Tue Aug 13 18:43:25 2013
    By: Nightfox to Access Denied on Mon Aug 12 2013 07:03 pm

Thanks :) I enjoy contributing to the BBS community; I'm glad my add-ons and utilities are useful for others.

It's definitely appreciated. If I do actually start a project myself, it will probably have something to do with a lightbar conference selector (your message lister seems to come close, but not exactly what I envision.. and if I were to start with that, it would probably be half rewritten, and I don't want to do that).

Regards,
    Nick

---
  • From Corey@VERT/TSGC to Access Denied on Tue Aug 13 20:22:06 2013
    By: Access Denied to Nightfox on Tue Aug 13 2013 11:43 am

By: Nightfox to Access Denied on Mon Aug 12 2013 07:03 pm

Thanks :) I enjoy contributing to the BBS community; I'm glad my add-o and utilities are useful for others.

It's definitely appreciated. If I do actually start a project myself, it wil probably have something to do with a lightbar conference selector (your mess lister seems to come close, but not exactly what I envision.. and if I were start with that, it would probably be half rewritten, and I don't want to do that).

Regards,
    Nick

I had rdos on a dec c100

"Practise safe Lunch, Use a Condiment"

---
    þ Synchronet þ Three Stooges Gentlemens Club - Las Vegas, Nv - tsgc.dyndns.org
  • From Nightfox@VERT/DIGDIST to Access Denied on Wed Aug 14 01:41:07 2013
    By: Access Denied to Nightfox on Tue Aug 13 2013 11:43:25

Thanks :) I enjoy contributing to the BBS community; I'm glad my
    add-ons and utilities are useful for others.

It's definitely appreciated. If I do actually start a project myself, it will probably have something to do with a lightbar conference selector (your message lister seems to come close, but not exactly what I envision.. and if I were to start with that, it would probably be half rewritten, and I don't want to do that).

I've made some lightbar message & file area choosers, too, if you'd like to check those out. They look fairly similar to my message lister though, but simplified for file/message area selection. Here's a URL: ftp://digdist.bbsindex.com/bbs/SYNC_JS/ddac_105.zip

Nightfox

---
  • From Access Denied@VERT/PHARCYDE to Corey on Wed Aug 14 05:34:10 2013
    By: Corey to Access Denied on Tue Aug 13 2013 01:22 pm

It's definitely appreciated. If I do actually start a project myself,
    it wil probably have something to do with a lightbar conference
    selector (your mess lister seems to come close, but not exactly what I
    envision.. and if I were start with that, it would probably be half
    rewritten, and I don't want to do that).

I had rdos on a dec c100

Sorry there, Corey. I have no idea what you're talking about there. I was talking about Synchronet, Javascript, and making a mod for my BBS. lol

Regards,
    Nick

---
  • From Access Denied@VERT/PHARCYDE to Nightfox on Wed Aug 14 08:15:52 2013
    By: Nightfox to Access Denied on Tue Aug 13 2013 06:41 pm

I've made some lightbar message & file area choosers, too, if you'd like to check those out. They look fairly similar to my message lister though, but simplified for file/message area selection. Here's a URL: ftp://digdist.bbsindex.com/bbs/SYNC_JS/ddac_105.zip

Cool. I snagged it and will definitely check it out. Though so far it looks like it keeps the default in tact, where you hit "J" from the main menu and it does the group selection first, then jumps right to the area selection. I envision separating this like other softwares do it. You hit "J" to choose your conference/group.. then it joins what you select and goes back to the menu. Then you have to hit "A" or something like that to select what area you want to join.

Though after thinking about it for a sec, that may be beneficial to people that are use to it that way, but it could hurt the process too, to where someone would select a group and post right away, in the first area.. So we'll see. I'll check out yours and see how it works.

Just looking at the file contents of the zip file, I take it all the ansi codes and/or coloring of the lightbar selection screens are done in the .js? As of right now no ansi can be loaded or anything, correct?

You know how I roll man. I always have to make shit difficult. :)

Regards,
    Nick

---
  • From Nightfox@VERT/DIGDIST to Access Denied on Wed Aug 14 19:25:32 2013
    I've made some lightbar message & file area choosers, too, if you'd like to check those out. They look fairly similar to my message
    lister though, but simplified for file/message area selection. Here's a URL: ftp://digdist.bbsindex.com/bbs/SYNC_JS/ddac_105.zip

Cool. I snagged it and will definitely check it out. Though so far it looks like it keeps the default in tact, where you hit "J" from the main menu and it does the group selection first, then jumps right to the area selection.
    I envision separating this like other softwares do it. You hit "J" to
    choose your conference/group.. then it joins what you select and goes back to the menu. Then you have to hit "A" or something like that to select what area you want to join.

Ah, I made my area choosers work the same way Synchronet does it so that it
    can simply be a drop-in replacement. My area choosers are designed to be executed when the user presses J, and it presents the groups first, and when the user selects a group, it then lists the areas and lets the user choose an area.
    By "other software", were you referring to other add-ons for Synchronet or other BBS software?

Just looking at the file contents of the zip file, I take it all the ansi codes and/or coloring of the lightbar selection screens are done in the
    .js? As of right now no ansi can be loaded or anything, correct?

Yes, all the coloring is done in the .js. All the coloring is for fields that change, such as the message number, subject, and post date, so there's really nothing consistent that could be provided by an ANSI file.

Perhaps at some point I could have my area choosers load configuration files that specify the colors to use.. For now, though, that can be customized by editing the .js.

Nightfox

---
  • From Access Denied@VERT/PHARCYDE to Nightfox on Thu Aug 15 02:23:30 2013
    By: Nightfox to Access Denied on Wed Aug 14 2013 12:25 pm

Ah, I made my area choosers work the same way Synchronet does it so that it can simply be a drop-in replacement. My area choosers are designed to be executed when the user presses J, and it presents the groups first, and when the user selects a group, it then lists the areas and lets the user choose an area.

Which is fine, and actually may be a better choice for Synchronet systems in general.

By "other software", were you referring to other add-ons for Synchronet or other BBS software?

Yeah, that's exactly what I was referring to. Usually the "J" command for joining a conference/group is separated from an "A" command for joining a specific area in a conference.

Yes, all the coloring is done in the .js. All the coloring is for fields that change, such as the message number, subject, and post date, so there's really nothing consistent that could be provided by an ANSI file.

What I'm envisioning is being able to display an ansi, then load the lightbars into it with the .js. Kinda like my matrix, or my quick login matrix, or even my goodbye matrix if you've ever noticed.

I'm sure I can just use one of those that I've already done, and just use it to choose conferences/groups and areas, instead of say the matrix commands.

Perhaps at some point I could have my area choosers load configuration files that specify the colors to use.. For now, though, that can be customized by editing the .js.

What you're doing is fine. I just like to put ansi wherever I can, and load a lightbar on top of it.

That's basically what I was getting at when I said if I were to start with your code, it would be half recoded by the time I was done with it. I might as well just start something on my own, since I already have the footprints in a couple other lightbar screens on my system. I would just have to change the lightbar commands and what they actually execute upon selecting them.

Regards,
    Nick

---
  • From the doctor@VERT/QBBS to ERIC on Sat Aug 17 07:41:00 2013
    --- ERIC wrote --

If you all want to learn Ruby, look up _why's (poignant) guide to ruby

It's really good. Strangely written, but enjoyable

QuarkWARE BBS is written entirely in Ruby.

---
    * TARDIS BBS - Home of QUARKware * telnet bbs.cortex-media.info
  • From Corey@VERT/TSGC to the doctor on Sat Aug 17 00:45:29 2013
    By: the doctor to ERIC on Sat Aug 17 2013 12:41 am

--- ERIC wrote --

If you all want to learn Ruby, look up _why's (poignant) guide to ruby

It's really good. Strangely written, but enjoyable

QuarkWARE BBS is written entirely in Ruby.

and synchronet was written with java.
    err, and beer and pizza.

"Practise safe Lunch, Use a Condiment"

---
    þ Synchronet þ Three Stooges Gentlemens Club - Las Vegas, Nv - tsgc.dyndns.org
  • From Chris@VERT/DMINE to Jon Justvig on Mon Aug 26 04:08:09 2013
    By: Jon Justvig to Chris on Sun Aug 11 2013 04:30 pm

I know what you mean about time and space, if only we lived in outerspace wh it's not limited. <grin> I tried a little bit assembly which wasn't too tou and had a numberic keypad for that. What was interesting with that was at t end of each line it had a special number at the end of the line that would match what was written on paper to make sure I had entered the line correctl like code-checking. I thought it was fun.

... Remember, if you smoke after sex you're doing it too fast.

That's my biggest regret from when I was younger was not learning assembly or even just giving it an honest try (even if I didn't pick it up). It took me forever to get around to C as it was.

------------------------------------------------------------------
    Chris Perrault
    The Diamond Mine BBS
    telnet://bbs.dmine.net

The Programmers' SIG @ DelphiForums
    http://www.delphiforums.com/prosig

------------------------------------------------------------------

---
    þ Synchronet þ Diamond Mine Online - bbs.dmine.net - Fredericksburg, VA USA
  • From Froggyme@VERT/LILLYPAD to Chris on Mon Mar 31 07:55:03 2014
    By: Chris to Jon Justvig on Sun Aug 11 2013 02:23 pm

My first programming language was BASIC. I learned a little bit while
    my da would bring home Computer Gazette and Ahoy! magazines from the
    grocery marke I would practice reading the code on paper then put it
    into action on my dad computer. It was a lot of fun. Not really know

That brings back fun memories. For me it was Family Computing magazine which had all sorts of basic listings for a bunch of the different 8 bits.

For me, I got my BASIC listings from 3-2-1 Contact magazine. :)

---
    þ Synchronet þ Sent from The Lillypad BBS - lillypad.synchro.net:2323
  • From Gryphon@VERT/CYBERIA to Froggyme on Mon Mar 31 20:13:00 2014
    On 03-31-14, Froggyme said the following...

By: Chris to Jon Justvig on Sun Aug 11 2013 02:23 pm

My first programming language was BASIC. I learned a little bit whil
    my da would bring home Computer Gazette and Ahoy! magazines from the
    grocery marke Iwould practice reading the code on paper then put it
    into action on my dad computer. It was a lot of fun. Not really kno

That brings back fun memories. For me it was Family Computing magazi which had all sorts of basic listings for a bunch of the different 8

For me, I got my BASIC listings from 3-2-1 Contact magazine. :)

My first lingo was also GW-BASIC. It came with my copy of DeskMate for the Tandy 1000 TL/2. I got a computer magazine that had many basic program listings. Then I found a book by David Ahl that have many BASIC computer games. Check these out: http://www.atariarchives.org/bca/

It has the downoadable source code to all the games in the book.

--- Mystic BBS v1.10 A38 (Linux)
    * Origin: Cyberia BBS | Cyb
  • From Bob@VERT/DMINE to eric on Sun Sep 21 10:46:00 2014
    Android8675 wrote to eric <=-

Re: What was your first programming language?

I don't remember which one for sure, but it was either FORTRAN 77 or
    Dartmouth BASIC, in either case accessed remotely from a teletype.
    ... MultiMail, the new multi-platform, multi-format offline reader!
    þ Synchronet þ Diamond Mine Online - bbs.dmine.net - Fredericksburg, VA USA